Author Topic: Leviathan....the beginning of the end?  (Read 13380 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Leviathan....the beginning of the end?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2003, 03:22:56 AM »
I wouldn't in the least mind being rich.....but I've always thought being famous must be a particularly horrible ring in Dante's Hell.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2003, 03:12:38 PM »

As for Julia, yes, it's sad how he's treating her, but hey she knew the job was dangerous when she took it. Besides, I think there's a side of her that sorta likes it. :-*

So are you suggesting our Dr Hoffman has a S&M fetish going on?  She likes to be dominated since she has to be so strong being a female doctor in the 60s?   8)  Who can see Julia in leather and carrying a whip but . .. then that would mean she's the Dominatrix. . .hmmm. . .
Julia99

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2003, 04:37:20 PM »
So are you suggesting our Dr Hoffman has a S&M fetish going on?  She likes to be dominated since she has to be so strong being a female doctor in the 60s?   8)  Who can see Julia in leather and carrying a whip but . .. then that would mean she's the Dominatrix. . .hmmm. . .

I'm just saying that much like Morrissey (ex-lead singer of The Smiths) she wants "the one [she] can't have".

But you introduce a new wrinkle that I hadn't considered. You may have something there. Not sure B. would go for it though. Remember, he's only *pretending* to be British.

(Actually The Smiths are the perfect soundtrack for Dark Shadows. Very maudlin, morbid and full of self-loathing. And yet kinda catchy.)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2003, 04:47:18 PM »
>>I suspect that truly talented people will manage to find a way around the "Teen Idol" kiss of death.  If what they REALLY want is to be an actor, and not a "STAR" then all they have to do is be willing to work...<<
I agree. I guess getting carried away with your own popularity to the point that you no longer feel you have to work at something is a fairly legitimate natural selection process in itself. [idontknow]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2003, 06:03:43 PM »
I guess getting carried away with your own popularity to the point that you no longer feel you have to work at something is a fairly legitimate natural selection process in itself.

Oh excellent, Castlebee......VERY well put.  I just might change "popularity" to "ego" and start using your phrase on a few people I know!!! :D (I'll be sure to give you credit!!)   ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2003, 11:29:35 PM »
One of the biggest surprises to me was to learn that not all actors dream of fame partly because they see that sometimes the cost of fame is some freedoms that mean much to them professionally and personally.  Many people in the "arts" just want enough recognition either publicly or among peers to get enough to work to live happily on and be happy doing what they love.

So true. Many actors act because that's what they need to do -- call it a drive, a compulsion, a need to create ... (very similar to writers, come to think of it).  Other people -- some of them actors, some not -- have a drive to be famous or be "stars."  The two should not be confused, though of course there is some overlap in some cases, especially with "Hollywood" actors!

On a side note, I've never understood the desperate desire so many people seem to have to "be on TV" -- people who will do whatever they can -- including betrayal of others, self-debasement, airing of dirty laundry, whatever -- to get on TV.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
OT - Re:Leviathan....the beginning of the end?
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2003, 12:27:25 AM »
On a side note, I've never understood the desperate desire so many people seem to have to "be on TV" -- people who will do whatever they can -- including betrayal of others, self-debasement, airing of dirty laundry, whatever -- to get on TV.
No kidding, Vlad. I absolutely cannot watch shows like Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, etc. etc. etc., in which colorful examples of anthropomorphic compost come on to spar with each other. Apparently there's a huge audience for this sort of thing, but I've never understood the desire to watch others grossly debase themselves; as long as people do, though, such idgits have a guaranteed forum. Sad thing is, I bet a lot of viewers who might run into some of that dreck in the street would actually look up to them for having been on THAT SHOW!

Oy vey.

--Mark

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2003, 10:03:37 PM »
How about those chicks on the daytime talk shows that are there with a kid and a handful of guys to have paternity tests run on?  Play find out who is the daddy on national tv.  What about them?  Gads.  I have been stuck sitting through Maury more than once while that was happening, not by choice, but because it was on when a group of friends and I were working on a quilt that was to be a gift to another friend, and one woman just had to have that on.

Could not get over those chicks...funniest one was some ho who had about 6 guys there to be tested and none was the father, so she asked if she could come back with some more in the future.

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2003, 11:07:35 PM »

I only watched one of those paternity shows once, and it was the saddest thing I ever saw.  I don't know the circumstances as to why the test was being done, but there was a young man, young woman,(wife?), and their 18mos old son.  Anyway, the guy was hoping with all his heart he was the Dad.  Well, it turned out he wasn't.  He just sat there, didn't rail on the woman. Just sat there and stared at the little boy with tears streaming down his face.   He loved that little boy and wanted so much to find out he was indeed the father.  It broke my heart to watch it. That's about all I remember, it was a few years ago. I really hate the network for airing that.  It was very cruel.
I know that the guests went on of their own free will, but I truly believe the young man never thought that the little boy wouldn't be his.  And for the network to continue to air his grief, and the hostess (Jenny I think) to continue to nag him with questions (I think he finally bolted the set) was almost beyond cruel.  I've never watched them again.  Never ceases to amaze me how twisted the world can be and it's become primo TV fare.

Always, Minja [dsapy][/color]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2003, 11:56:16 PM »

I only watched one of those paternity shows once, and it was the saddest thing I ever saw.  there was a young man, young woman,(wife?), and their 18mos old son.  Anyway, the guy was hoping with all his heart he was the Dad.  Well, it turned out he wasn't.  face.   He loved that little boy and wanted so much to find out he was indeed the father.

18 months of loving and raising that little boy?  In my book he *was* the dad, will always be the dad, and a far more fit parent than the mother.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2003, 03:48:23 AM »
Let's hope someone introduced that young man to a damned good lawyer.  Children are human beings, not property.  Parents are responsible adults, not 'rightful owners'.

Of course, on shows like that, it's usually fair to assume there isn't a 'responsible adult' within a hundred miles.

In our house we have a code word for families like that....we look at one another and say 'goldfish'....which is shorthand for 'some people shouldn't be allowed to raise goldfish, much less children'.  Unfortunately, we use it fairly often..
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Re:Leviathan....the beginning of the end?
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2003, 10:18:46 AM »
18 months of loving and raising that little boy?  In my book he *was* the dad, will always be the dad, and a far more fit parent than the mother.

That's right!   The saddest part is that there are so many young girls out there who thought they probably found the right one and then make the mistake of getting pregnant only to have the guy run off on them.

Then you have these other ones like you mentioned who sleep with every Tom, Dick & Harry and then manage to find these decent guys who are willing to do everything for them, including raising kids who aren't their own!
That young woman should be counting her blessings, not complaining on TV!

The worst one I've seen was with this bratty know it all 14 year old girl who had already been arrested numerous times for prostituting herself, shoplifting and selling drugs. Along with her was her poor pathetic mother who just couldn't understand how her lovely little girl wound up like this.  During the whole show the kid kept cussing her mother out and the mother said she even physically abused her several times and showed everyone her bruises to prove it.  Then all of a sudden Jenny Jones brings out a "suprise" guest who just happens to be the mother's own sister who claims the child's mother was even worse!!  By the time that show ended it was more like a three ring circus with everyone shouting obcenities at one another.

I can't believe people would actually lower themselves on television like that.  I mean "HELLO" haven't they ever heard of the phase "what goes around comes around?!"  The whole thing made me sick to my stomach and that was the last time I ever watched any of those shows. [puke]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2003, 12:39:09 PM »
sheenasma wrote

You are so right.

raineypark wrote
In our house we have a code word for families like that....we look at one another and say 'goldfish'....which is shorthand for 'some people shouldn't be allowed to raise goldfish, much less children'.  Unfortunately, we use it fairly often..

To mangle a line Keeanu Reeves had in the movie Parenthood....You have to have a license to drive a car, catch a fish, own a dog...but any **** can raise a child.

I love your goldfish line and now plan to steal it and use it quite often.  I work at a store in a mall, the phrase will be well used before the day is through.[/color]

Always, Minja[/color]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2003, 01:41:06 PM »
All I can say about those shows and the people who take part are they are the lowest of low.  I also have no use for the "reality" TV.  This  does not say very much for the American viewing public.  Hope I didn't step on anyones toes.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2003, 02:35:03 PM »
besides the things noted above on these shows that are sad
what is with the Spinger show and these weird creatures(only word for them) stripping down to nothing and women showing their breasts for string of tacky beads! :owhat is going on in this world that people
love this stuff ! makes me fear for the future generation!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV