Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0248  (Read 805 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0248
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Robservations - #248

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0248

FAREWELL, MITCH RYAN!

Mitch Ryan makes his final appearance on DS in this ep...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:28 PM »
Barnabas's punishment of Maggie truly harsh--pretty strong stuff for daytime TV and scary even now.

The birds are just beginning to sing in the gray morning light when Willie arrives at the mausoleum. It’s clear that he left the Old House the instant he could safely do so.

And farewell to Mitchell Ryan....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »
Now that I know what Devlin One was like and what his original importance was, it's unfortunate to see him go.  Didn't the switch happen while Burke and Vicki were sitting on a log in the woods talking?

Ryan was a flawed hero and action guy... Anthony George comes across as just The Boyfriend, but I suppose Mitch would have just been The Boyfriend if he'd stayed, and he probably knew it.   I suppose no one knew that Barnabas [spoiler]wouldn't be 'vanquished' then,[/spoiler] but Mitch could have handled it, and A George doesn't have the weight to him.   Maybe the recasting of Devlin pushed along the change in Barnabas a little.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Interesting thought, MT. I know that some fans refer to Anthony George as "Burke Lite," and it's easy to see why. Try as I might, I find it much more difficult to picture AG's Burke as someone who did hard time and then roamed the world to make his fortune. AG's Burke might have, say, gotten a traffic ticket and gone to Augusta.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
Interesting thought, MT. I know that some fans refer to Anthony George as "Burke Lite," and it's easy to see why. Try as I might, I find it much more difficult to picture AG's Burke as someone who did hard time and then roamed the world to make his fortune. AG's Burke might have, say, gotten a traffic ticket and gone to Augusta.

LOL! So true. So true.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
When Sam was talking about how Maggie's gown looked as though it was from another century, I suddenly imagined it being not Maggie but rather Josette's ghost who appeared at the window.

Knowing that Pop's pipe was going to appear somewhere along the line, I kept an eye out for it, and took an interest in the pocket from which it was produced.  The pocket was visible through the gown, and didn't look very period.  I remember Gwen Raverat rhapsodizing over the pockets in Victorian clothes in Period Piece (that was after talking at length about all the inconveniences of those clothes) but that's Victorian, and Josette lived in an earlier time.  And anyway, isn't this supposed to be Josette's wedding dress that Maggie is wearing?  Wedding dresses don't have pockets, do they?

Interesting that Maggie ended up in the cemetery.  The pipe and the sight of her home weren't enough to push through the layers of brainwashing - yet.  But something remains, nagging at her, until she finally gets it when she looks at herself in the mirror.  I know we're supposed to be cheering for her, but I never react that way.  Instead I'm mourning the loss of Barnabas's dream, however twisted it was.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
It had to be asked and George did of Sam inquiring if he were drinking.  Though, I think, the drinking is a given but thequantity is the question.  The shot of the terrifying face of Barnabas closing the lid from the perspective of the person been sealed in the coffin was inspired.  Is this the end?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times