Author Topic: Saturday Fest is sold out  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Fest is sold out
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
I just did a Google search on the location of the Double Tree because after I posted, I wondered if it was the same place where they had a Festival a few years ago.  It seems to be.  Lyndhurst does look as if it is located such that you could walk there.  Hopefully somebody will be able to give you a ride.  The actual town is down route 9 a ways and I think is completely inaccessible to foot traffic.

Maybe you'll buddy up with another fan, or group of fans, and you can all caravan along.  Like I said, it was nice in the days when one did not have to get creative with transport if one wished to attend a DS fan event...

G.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »
Hi Philippe!

I will be walking to Lyndhurst and I know that in Anaheim you walked a lot so you'll be fine.  The only thing that concerns me is the heat but hopefully it will be a little better by next week.  I am looking forward to seeing you.  Do you still have my cell # from last year?
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
I usually take a cab after getting off the station.  Perhaps we can all "team up" and take a cab or two and split the cabfare to Lyndhurst!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I looked at the hotel's webpage and see that from Westchester County airport the options to the hotel are rental or cab ($45). I'm not planning on renting a car, so I'll have to go the cab route ... but perhaps there will be other people arriving Thursday evening as well who could share the fare.

I looked at the satellite view from Google Maps and I see what you mean about walking a highway to Lyndhurst -- I couldn't see any sidewalks, either. Uncle Roger's mention of bus service along Broadway should be an option, though. It does sound like more of a challenge going north into Tarrytown although again although perhaps the bus would be best.

Will IM you this evening, Teresa.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
Check and see if the train is an option. I don't know where the Metro North station is in relation to the airport but it would be a cheaper, though less direct way of getting to Tarrytown. I'm not sure if you get a train directly from there to Tarrytown. Mass transit is not always direct. Metro North does have a website where you can check on schedules and fares.  Their customer service number should be able to help with other questions.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
Oh wow, you're flying into Westchester.  Ugh.

Sending good vibes!  Hope someone can connect with you and help you out.

I am sure you will have a great time!

Best, Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »
If you don't have a room at the Doubletree, then I don't recommend walking from the hotel or train stations to Lyndhurst. 

While hot and unpleasant now, next week is going to be even worse.  The heat and humidity in this vicinity are ghastly.  You will be spending a lot of your energy (and precious bodily fluids) walking around the Lyndhurst property- don't wear yourself out before then.  It's a big place, with much to see and enjoy.

There are train stations at Tarrytown and Irvington, which is the stop before.  Both appear close to the property and walkable, but don't let it fool you.  From the Irvington station you have to walk up a steep hill for nearly a mile, then it's a mile from there down Broadway to the property.  The Irvington station is technically closer, and the walk to the Tarrytown station is an epic journey of sweat and panting, which will leave you quite uncouth. There wasn't much left of my Stuart, Helen and I when we went there a few years ago.  The cab from the Tarrytown station to Lyndhurst

Dress cooly, make arrangements to share a car with fellow fans, drink water often, and wear comfortable shoes.  The lawn of Lyndhurst make look smooth and flat, but it's not exactly a golf-course, and is full of lumpy, irregular terrain ("curious terrain!"- :-) ) and a few roads are thick gravel.  Plus there's a lovely hill to climb as well.  Keep the cha-cha heels and wedges-of-death home, folks!

And for those of you who will attempt the journey on foot, once you've gotten onto the Lyndhurst estate, the nearest restrooms are directly behind the greenhouse, to the right of the property.

I shall be the tall gentlemen in the "Please don't ask me about Night of Dark Shadows" T-shirt.  :-)

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
I will second everything that Darren has posted, with a couple of additions. Use sunblock/sunscreen, the higher the better. And cover your head with a hat, scarf or visor. The afternoon sun can be quite brutal.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:44 AM »
Ah, good call Uncle Roger.  I was there in April for about two hours and returned to my Manhattan hotel looking like a lobster.

Note- somehow it disappeared when I was typing it, but in my earlier post above, the full sentence should read, "The cab from the Tarrytown station to Lyndhurst cost abut $18 back in in 2003/2004-- it's not as close as it seems." Buses are also not frequent enough...

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »
There hasn't been anything official in weeks from the Festival!  Who is actually going there as a guest star, aside from Kathryn, Lara, Marie, Jerry and possibly Kathy?  I'm surprised that Shadowgram hasn't given out any last minute news yet.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
Excellent advice all around Darren.  There will be no memorabilia to purchase so folks should definitely budget for cabs, or bring memorabilia to barter for rides in other fans' cars.

And I both love and get weepy at your choice of t-shirt, Darren.

hugs,
Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
Thanks Steve.

I think there actually will be a limited memorabilia sale.  I think the cast will have tables to sell photos and do autographs, there might be a Big Finish table, and possibly Frid videos, etc.  I don't have full details, but there should be something...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
I hear a rumor that that fabulous new book by the late Craig Hamrick and the sweet & sassy RJ Jamison, Barnabas & Co., will be on sale.  And then there's the new PomPress book with the fascinating new essay on the films from yourself!

cheers, G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 05:50:48 PM »
 [ghost_wink]

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
The weather channel list Tarrytown Thurs-Sun in the 83-85 temp range but a good chance of storms each day with Saturday afternoon being 60%.  Bring your umbrellas or rain ponchos!

" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"