Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0230  (Read 1780 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0230
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
Robservations - #230

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0230

Watching Project

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
A new Robservations cap has been added for this ep (and I have no idea how I could have not included the first shot of marks on the vampire victim's neck [ghost_shocked]). If you're not seeing it when you open the Robs for this ep, it probably means that you've visited the topic recently and so you need to clear your browser's cache.  [ghost_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Sam, Joe, and Burke leave the Evans cottage to search for Maggie. Vicki is left to dust the telephone. But I suppose it's a good thing she's there, because Willie's phone call ultimately saves Maggie's life. Burke returns, she tells him about it, and they race off to Eagle Hill--without leaving a note for poor Sam and Joe.

How Maggie walked the supposed five miles in a nightgown and slippers is never explained, but she is wandering around Eagle Hill when a particularly heavy wisp of fog clears to reveal Barnabas standing before her. This is the first time we see him in vampire mode, and he could very well be competing with Maggie in the eye makeup department--even his eyebrows have been brushed upward, and he looks positively feral. 

Of course, once Maggie is rescued, Barnabas figures out who was responsible. He gives Willie his first (almost) on-camera beating as a reward. Willie doesn't put up a fight. He seems to be atoning for his first behavior toward Maggie and Sam at the BW.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
I always wondered wondered why Willie ran to the cemetery to warn Barnabas when he should have done nothing.  At least he wouldn't have made it so obvious he made the call.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
Maybe poor Willie was hoping that Barnabas wouldn't figure out who let everyone know where Maggie was.

It seems that the set designer hasn't yet figured out how anyone can open the door to the secret room from the inside. But this will eventually be remedied.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
I always wondered wondered why Willie ran to the cemetery to warn Barnabas when he should have done nothing.  At least he wouldn't have made it so obvious he made the call.

Willie is controlled by Barnabas and obligated to protect him.   It was quite an act of will on his part to make the call, and perhaps he made a deal with himself in order to do it... if he warned Maggie and also warned Barnabas, it wasn't really a betrayal, or so he might have thought.

DL might be right.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »
You're right, MT! I hadn't thought of that. Willie can't help but protect Barnabas--but it must have been a tremendous feat of will indeed to phone Collinwood. As horrific as his situation is, it's given Willie the chance to discover all kinds of resources he probably never knew he had.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
Yes, calling the Evans Cottage was an amazing triumph of will on Willie's part.  It may be that, in order to keep Willie strong enough to work on the Old House, Barnabas has been feeding on him only occasionally, and concentrating on the cows, so that Willie's ability to resist Barnabas is greater that it was at first - since, over time, it appears that frequent feedings are necessary to keep the victim's will in check.  Still, this is more than I would ever expect Willie Loomis to do.

Vicki is left to dust the telephone.
Vicky's the helpless little woman in this episode, staying at home while the menfolk search for Maggie.  This is not the way she has been in previous episodes, but I guess the writers had to have some way for Willie to find out what Barnabas was up to and to get the warning out.

How Maggie walked the supposed five miles in a nightgown and slippers is never explained, but she is wandering around Eagle Hill when a particularly heavy wisp of fog clears to reveal Barnabas standing before her.
Oh, but it's very simple.  Eagle Hill Cemetery was said to be five miles north of Collinwood.  Assume Collinwood is about a mile south of town, and assume the Evans cottage is half a mile north of town, and you've cut the distance down to three and a half miles.  Then call to mind that the cemetery eventually ends up in the back yard of Collinwood, and it has to start the trek sometime (sort of like Birnam wood, maybe), and you can cut...well...maybe another mile or two.  That brings the distance down to a couple of miles.  Granted, even a couple of miles in Maggie's get-up is more than I'd care to do, but I daresay she's not really noticing much as she answers her vampire's summons.

Maggie's picture has made a shorter move, from her Maggie's bedroom to the living room.  It must have been moved by Sam, and all I can figure is that in his distress over Maggie's disappearance, he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.  Goodness knows what else he'll find in odd places before all this is over.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
Ah yes! I suppose Eagle Hill share some magical properties of transportation with the traveling afghans.

About Willie and the cows: I suppose Barnabas has to find the proper balance of how much to feed on Willie: Enough to keep him in subjection, but not too much, or Willie would be unable to function--or keep unwanted visitors from the Old House during the day.

I suppose that besides getting yet another beating, poor Willie will be Barnabas's victim a few extra times, just to keep him under Barn's thumb.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:26:31 AM »
Except for the atmosphere, why does Maggie have to go to the cemetery to meet Barnabas?  I guess he doesn't realize a young woman walking in a nightgown might call attention to herself.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »
Maybe Barnabas's summoning power is strongest in a cemetery, or maybe he's just being romantic.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »
Maybe Willie hasn't yet moved the coffin to the cellar of the Old House. Barn probably doesn't want to move in until the renovations are done.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
Maybe Willie hasn't yet moved the coffin to the cellar of the Old House. Barn probably doesn't want to move in until the renovations are done.

I'm sure Willie hasn't moved the coffin into the OH yet, as sure as I can be based on old memories of these episodes anyway.   Either way, B probably feels that this remote meeting place is the only option that won't result in his being seen eventually.  Never mind that nightied Maggie trudging in slippers by the side of the highway isn't exactly inconspicuous...  If Willie weren't objecting, we could guess he drives her there.   Does she grab loose cash and stick it in a pocket of her nightie for the cab rides?   Maggie likes pockets...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:20:35 AM »
Maybe Barnabas's summoning power is strongest in a cemetery, or maybe he's just being romantic.

Very Good Lydia.

The music is the same music used in the Dark Shadows music. JF reading Epitath, OH earth.

The picture of Maggie got moved, this is for the end shot. Then Willie calls and disquise his voice. Willie will get in trouble now. Barnabas leave the door to the mausoleum open... Why??? Did Barnabas want them to come inside.

Then find Maggie and the bite marks on her neck.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate