Author Topic: Haunting Memories  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Haunting Memories
« on: March 30, 2003, 12:14:11 AM »
The scene where Lady Hampshire is drawn to Josette's bedroom was vintage DS ... a memorable moment in DS which I had forgotten.  Very effectively done in terms of lighting, sets, costume, direction, and KLS's performance.  I was enthralled when Lady H. poured the two glasses of sherry ...

And thematically, at least as Dan Curtis has stated in interviews, it would seem that this scene embodies the very essence of Dark Shadows ... (the vampire and his reincarnated lost love).

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re:Haunting Memories
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 08:26:18 AM »
I know some don't enjoy Kitty once Josette emerges, but I agree Vlad, this scene is a great one - very haunting.  The troubled protagonist and and his reincarnated lost love is an emblematic theme that is featured in many wonderful films, both within and outside the horror genre - from "The Mummy" to "Vertigo" to "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Dark Shadows really does a lovely job with the Josette/Barnabas love story right up to this point.  It's too bad they later choose to end it so ignominiously.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 11:25:15 PM »
I know some don't enjoy Kitty once Josette emerges, but I agree Vlad, this scene is a great one - very haunting.  The troubled protagonist and and his reincarnated lost love is an emblematic theme that is featured in many wonderful films, both within and outside the horror genre - from "The Mummy" to "Vertigo" to "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

It's not that I think the idea of having Kitty as the reincarnation of Josette was a bad one. I don't. I think they could have done some really cool stuff with it.

What I dislike is that we saw quite a bit of Kitty. She had a strong and interesting personality and she'd obviously lived a lot. Suddenly, she turns into Josette and all of that is totally negated--her experiences, her memories, who Kitty was was all gone. It was like watching Maggie being brainwashed into "Josette" all over again, but worse somehow, because Maggie was being traumatized and there were supernatural powers at work and Kitty is really supposed to be Josette.

I find that very disturbing.

I think too that if they'd kept Kitty's personality intact and had her integrating her memories and feelings of Josette's into that, we could have been treated to some absolutely kickass television. It could have still been haunting and erotic, but it would have had a richness and a depth to it and it would have been remarkable.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 12:56:47 AM »
It's not that I think the idea of having Kitty as the reincarnation of Josette was a bad one. I don't. I think they could have done some really cool stuff with it.

What I dislike is that we saw quite a bit of Kitty. She had a strong and interesting personality and she'd obviously lived a lot. Suddenly, she turns into Josette and all of that is totally negated--her experiences, her memories, who Kitty was was all gone. It was like watching Maggie being brainwashed into "Josette" all over again, but worse somehow, because Maggie was being traumatized and there were supernatural powers at work and Kitty is really supposed to be Josette.

I find that very disturbing.

I think too that if they'd kept Kitty's personality intact and had her integrating her memories and feelings of Josette's into that, we could have been treated to some absolutely kickass television. It could have still been haunting and erotic, but it would have had a richness and a depth to it and it would have been remarkable.

Well said, Luciaphil.  I think when the audience is introduced to Josette in 1795, we never got to know her beyond the naive damsel that she was protrayed.  Kitty has been around the block(so to speak).  She is nobody's fool.  The blending of these two women could have made for some great storylines.  Would she have pit her two suitors(Edward and Barnabas) against each other?  Would she have swallowed all of Barnabas' romantic notions or held out for cold hard cash?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 07:15:12 PM »
This would have worked well IMO too.  It may have even answered the question as to what would (the 1790's) Josette have been like had she evovled more and had a chance to cut some teeth.

Also agree with Vlad and Cassandra that the lost love theme was central to DS and its appeal as more than a soap or horror story.  Sure was/is for me anyway.   [aprvg]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad