Author Topic: Robservations 3/26/03 Charity Makes an Odd Purchase--and a Startling Annoucement  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
864 - Spellbound, Evan begs, let me live!  Why? asks Quentin--to let you play at black arts, be a dilettante warlock? To live hypocritically, as you do?--no, I can't give you one reason why you deserve to live--not one! The Collins family trusts me, says Evan, I can help you. If I give you another chance, says Q, will you do anything I ask of you? Yes, says Evan, even though I know that grave is waiting. All right, says Quentin, you have three minutes to tell me what you can do for me. Quickly, Evan says, you need someone like me, who knows your secret, someone you can trust, who can help you. I have Aristede for all that, says Q. But he cannot appear at Collinwood, Evan reminds him, making a good point--if you and Aristede became friends, people would wonder. You're very bright, says Quentin.  Evan continues his list of virtues--if they began to suspect something, Edward would confide in me, I'd see that he did, I'd keep you informed--please, give me a chance, begs Evan--there must be something you want to know. "Look at your grave," commands Quentin, his expression cruel--"Remember it."  I can't forget it, says Evan. Good, because if you bungle this, Quentin promises, we will meet back here again! What do you want to do? asks Evan.  I'm glad you're anxious, says Q--there's a mystery needing solving, and her name is Angelique...

Collinwood - Angelique picks up the phone and asks the operator for Coburn's Pharmacy, number 687. Charity calls to her from the landing--are you making a call? Angelique hangs up--I was is just finishing, she says.  Is the carriage waiting? Asks Charity. Sarcastically, Angelique says, walk to the door, open it and find out. Dressed in purple, Charity looks rather pretty. La di da, how grand we are, considering the fact that you may never be Mrs. Quentin Collins, as I could have told you, Luv...  Angelique interrupts--you did tell me that, and several times--excuse me.  Charity walks around to block her, complaining, you don't give a girl much chance to gloat.  I was the one who postponed the wedding, says Ang. Was you, indeed? asks Charity, smiling--I have to thank you for giving the rest of the girls a chance--there will be a wedding in this house soon, but you will be sitting and watching. If I choose to be, yes, agrees Ang coolly. If anyone asks for me today, says Charity, I'll be shopping.  I suggest you not buy your trousseau quite yet, advises Ang. "No, I wouldn't make the same mistake YOU did, Luv," laughs Charity, and heads out the door, boa looped around her neck as she laughs her ass off. Ang calls the pharmacy again and asks Mr. Coburn, are my medicines ready--I need them right away, it's vital. Quentin enters.  Angelique says into the phone, "No, she's not here now, she just left." She hangs up. Quentin asks, "Charity? Don't tell me she has a secret admirer."  I don't know who it was, replies Ang, and heads for the door.  I hope you aren't leaving because of me, he says. No, she says. You said that too quickly, insists Q--what's wrong? Nothing, she assures him.  You're a bad liar--which surprises me, he says--where have you been keeping yourself since postponing the wedding? Perhaps I didn't want to see you, she suggests--I might regret the decision I made. How can I make you change your mind if I never see you? he asks, pulling her close--convince you what a good husband I could be. He seems to be trying to kiss her, while she appears to be avoiding it with equal fervor.  You never seemed interested before, points out Angelique. I am now, he says. Our courtship was anything but idyllic, she reminds him. I want to change that--tonight, he says--we're going to the Inn at Rockport for dinner, and after dinner, we'll look at the moon shining on the water--be ready at six. I can't, she says. You will, he insists. Not tonight, says Ang, I don't feel well, I have a headache. (real original!)  I'll make it go away, he promises. What a boy you are, she chuckles, I should have realized long ago that you always become fascinated when I don't take interest in you--"Oh, I would love to have that dinner with you, tomorrow night, or the next." She hands him her cloak so he can help her into it--you are changing, you know, she remarks. Because you demanded it, he says. We'll see how long that change lasts, she says. I intend for it to last a long time, he says firmly. (think the old goat just wants into Angie's pants, or does he have less human motives?)  She turns and leaves, rushing off. Evan follows her...

Charity goes to see Charles Tate, who is still fruitlessly trying to draw--but can't even hold a pencil.  He drinks, greedily.  When she shows up on his doorstep and greets him cheerily, laughing, figuring he's wondering what she's doing here. Showing off her pretty dress, she flounces in. He closes the door, sending the window shade falling to the floor, and says, I'm glad you're here--I need company. Any company, that's what you didn't say, teases Charity. You're better than most, he says.  Do you call that a compliment? asks Charity. Welcome to the Tate studio, he says--filled with paintings by the late Charles Delaware Tate. She points out you aren't dead. "That remains to be seen." he says. I can see, she says--I wouldn't be here if you were dead, she giggles. I have a surprise for you--I want to buy a picture. I'm sure you're kidding, he says.  Angrily, she asks, "Ain't I good enough?" Better than most, says Tate. Can I have any one I want? she asks. Sure, he says. She begins to look. You must pay, he says--how will you do that? I've got a way, she says, grinning. I bet you do, he says. (in trade)? She giggles, calling him a naughty boy. Take anything you'd like, he invites--sinners, saints, ladies, not quite ladies...  Charity finds two of Amanda Harris.  Tate takes another drink, commenting, a person can make the same mistake twice. Charity chooses a painting. It's yours, he says--turn it around and let me see it. It's one of the paintings of Amanda. Not that one, says Tate--it's not for sale. You told me everything was, she complains. Nervous, angry, he asks, why do you want that? I like it, says Charity. Quentin sent you here, didn't he? demands Tate. I wouldn't buy anything for Quentin, feeling about him the way I do! she says.  Trask? Guesses Tate. "That old crow?" Who was it? demands Charles, turning her around. You aren't very nice, says Charity, then adds, I didn't really like Miss Harris, but I find this painting sort of...restful. Tate drinks, thinking.  She again reminds him of his promise to sell her anything she wants--will you or won't you? It doesn't make any sense, says Tate. Why do you paint? she asks--to sell them or argue with people who want to buy them? I paint them to sell, he says, it just so happens the painting you want is two--five thousand dollars. He drinks, then laughs, and is stunned when she hands him the money--in cash. Where did you get he? he asks.  She snatches her hand from his--did I ask you where you got your talent?
She shows him the money--do you ask others how they're going to pay your price? demands Charity--what's so peculiar about me?--it ain't stolen--"Wrap the painting, please?" she requests.

Dusk - Angelique, holding her items from the pharmacy, opens a wooden door covering a hole in the ground. She climbs down some stairs.  Evan, who has seen her, kneels to examine the square.

8:50 - Collinwood drawing room - Quentin is reading and singing along with a musical score. Someone knocks. It's Evan, who is horrified to see what Quentin is doing--it's very dangerous--the real Quentin would never do that! You're very right, says Quentin, I'll read my score in my room from now on. Evan has news--I followed Angelique to Cobun's Pharmacy, where they knew her well. She went to Shipwreck Point, where there was a clump of trees; stopped, brushed away some leaves, took hold of an iron ring and lifted a door out of the ground. She went down into some sort of a cave--I didn't follow her. That was wise, says Quentin--congratulations.  Evan smiles.  Tonight, says Q, we'll know what she's doing, why she postponed the wedding, and what her connection is to the late--at least to them--Julia Hoffman--return there at eight, wait until she leaves. What if she comes back? asks Evan. I'll keep her here, promises Quentin--you are to find out everything about that place you can, then report back here at 10 PM. There may be someone else there, says Evan, there must be. "And won't it be interesting to find out who it is?"asks Quentin. If I'm not back by 10...begins Evan.
Then I would have begun to worry, says Quentin coldly, because I will have lost someone who showed signs of being an intelligent servant.  And he looks straight into Evan's eyes.

Angelique leaves the secret hideaway and runs off. Evan kneels to open the trap door.

The clock at Collinwood strikes 9 PM. Quentin sits waiting in the drawing room. Angelique enters.  I've been worried, he says.  Oh, darling! She says.  How is your headache? He asks.  Much better, she says, slipping off her cloak. Did you buy medicine for it when you went into town? He asks.  No, I didn't, why?  I think it's silly for someone to have a headache and not do anything about it, he says--where were you? She laughs--you act as though we're married--you have no right to ask me that!  I do, he says--we're still engaged.  Do we have to discuss it now? she asks--I'm tired from my errands. He offers to tell her what HE thinks her errands were.
She looks surprised, scared, then says, "If you wish." "I think you're seeing another man," he says. Her mouth twitches. How could there be another man? she ask--it takes all my time and effort just dealing with you! She laughs heartily--I'm glad you care, she says--it's not true, about the other man--let's go in and talk about pleasant things, she suggests, tucking her arm in his.

Evan enters a place filled with rocks, water, brick. It's damp, with the sound of running, dripping water. "Who's here?" demands Evan, but he receives no answer.

10:05 - Collinwood - Angelique notices Quentin is watching the clock and remarks on how preoccupied he seems--should I make you a drink?  He refuses.  You ARE changing, she remarks. You keep saying that, he says impatiently--isn't it possible for one's taste to change in brandy?-- perhaps I'm just restless, I'll take a walk. He goes to get his cloak. She offers to join him.  You said you were exhausted, he reminds her. If you don't want me to come with you, I won't, she says. I had a business appointment, he claims--I didn't think I'd make it, but decided I would--I won't be long.  He leaves.  Charity appears on the stairs. "So, he left without you again, Luv!" she cackles. Angelique just looks annoyed as Charity laughs at her.

Quentin climbs down into the secret underground room and finds Evan unconscious. He calls him, rolls him over.  Someone hit me from behind, says Evan--I don't know who--"Please don't do anything to me, it wasn't my fault!" begs Evan hoarsely, holding his head. It wasn't your fault--this time, Quentin reassures him.

"Miss Trask," says Ang, "and I AM going to call you that...  I don't understand why, says Charity, annoyed.  We've wasted enough time discussing Quentin--he's still my fiance, and we spent the entire evening together...  Charity bursts into fresh laughter and says, "That don't mean a thing, luv, that don't mean a thing!"  Quentin returns.  Ang is surprised--I hope your business went well. He hastily says, I won't know until later--excuse me--I have an appointment early in the morning. Of course, darling, says Angelique, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek for Charity's benefit--good night. Angelique gives Charity a triumphant glance.  Miss Trask gets a weird look on her face.
"It ain't him," she hisses, "that man ain't Quentin Collins!"

NOTES: Say what you want about Charity/Pansy, she really is psychic, and she has called this one on the mark. Loved the nasty interplay between her and Angelique over Quentin, like two girls arguing over the last piece of (man)candy in the box.

Who knocked Evan unconscious? He really is TERRIFIED of Petofi, isn't he? You've got to love how he talked his way back into Petofi's good graces, very quick-witted, but he IS a lawyer!

This is one of the few times I worried about Angelique. She's keeping her promise to Julia, but isn't aware she's being followed--or that Petofi and Quentin have switched minds. If she and Quentin had spent the evening making love, would she have caught on? Then again, we assume they never have, so she wouldn't have known the difference, would she?

Why did Charity buy a picture of Amanda? She hates her, why would she want such a thing? There's a very good reason for this, and we will shortly find out what it is. Suffice it to say that Charity doesn't personally want it.

Now we're going to see Charity in danger, and all this is going to come to a head as another long-gone character returns to us! Happy viewing!

865 - Amused, Angelique tells Charity, if the man who just went upstairs is not Quentin Collins--I thought he looked remarkably like him. LOOKED like him, yes, agrees Charity in her "mysterious" voice, but there was something terribly different about him. Yes, Quentin has changed a great deal since I came into his life, boasts Angie. Charity, agitated, says, that ain't it--it's something different--something EVIL!  Angelique looks perturbed. Listen to me, says Charity, I sense things like this, and I'm never wrong--she (and we) begins to see a building not far from Collinwood--it's a strange building, the inside walls are made of stone, and there's furniture, a music stand, and stairs--the building is below the ground, and somewhere in that building is the REAL Quentin!--he's in that building! cries Charity. Quentin, standing on the stairs, overhears the last and jumps in, saying, since the conversation is about me, I should take part. The women look up at him. You shouldn't, says Charity--you ain't Quentin--you can fool everybody else, but not me! Explain yourself, demands Quentin in a fierce voice. You do some explaining, she insists, asking him (finally someone who thinks about it!) the date of his brother Carl's birth (you go, girl)! And the date of his death, continues Charity. "You're completely mad," he says. "You can't tell me because you don't know!" she accuses, then tosses him another--what did Carl give you on your 21st birthday?--I remember Carl telling me what it was, now YOU tell me! Angelique is listening and watching the other two carefully. Quentin tells Charity, I'm not in the habit of taking orders to do things. He's stalling, shouts Charity--"you don't know the answers!"  Quentin asks Angelique, what nonsense has Charity been telling you? Nothing I can take seriously, chuckles Ang. You'd better take me seriously, says Charity passionately, if you know what's good for you! Is that a threat? demands Quentin. You still haven't answered my questions, says Charity. Tell her what she wants to know, says Ang, so we can all get some sleep. I refuse to be interrogated in my own house! he says angrily, and don't have to be intimidated by a mad maniac. "Mad, am I?" cries Charity--you can fool everyone else, but not me!  He tries to grab her arm, but she shakes it free, demanding, let go of me--I don't want you touching me!  "We do not want your madness in this house!" yells Q--there is to be no more of that, do you understand? "Who ARE you?" asks Charity--"And what have you done with poor Quentin?" He advances on her again.  Stay away from me! she orders, and dashes upstairs, shouting, "Stay away from me!" Angelique, smiling at Quentin, says, well, why don't you admit it? He looks at her, feeling trapped--what do you mean, "admit it?" That you handled that very badly, she says. They have a staring contest.

How would you have handled it? he asks. I wouldn't have gotten so angry, for one thing, she replies. Charity's a lunatic, says Q. If it's all in her imagination, what can you fear from it? asks Ang. That's not the point, I don't have to be subjected to her madness, says Quentin furiously.  Thinking hard, Ang suggests, have a brandy--I'm concerned about you, and you do have a right to peace of mind in your own home. I like you like this, he says, warm and understanding--perhaps I was wrong about us. No, I like to think I was wrong, she says--perhaps I shouldn't have postponed the wedding. She has placed her hands on his jacket and is gazing up at him. Would you consider a new date? he asks.  Yes, she says.  He kisses her lightly on the lips. She seems to relish that, smiling slightly.

In the old mill, Aristede cleans his knife.  I wonder where your good friend Evan is now? he asks Petofi--he must be quite a good lawyer--anyone who can talk himself out of being buried alive...  Be quiet! insists Petofi, annoyed. If you're not happy with my company, says Aristede, you might   as well leave--Count Petofi. Stop calling me that, demands P. That's your name, insists Aristede. You know who I am, counters P, address me by my real name. What would people say if I did that? asks Aristede, then adds, sarcastically, "My name is Aristede, may I introduce you to my good friend, Quentin Collins--what's that?--oh yes, I realize he doesn't look like him, but..."  STOP IT! yells Petofi. You might as well resign yourself to it, says Aristede--as far as the world is concerned, you will play the master and I the servant--at least for the moment!  What do you mean? asks Petofi. I plan to leave the mill for the grandeur of Collinwood, boasts Aristede. YOU at Collinwood? demands Petofi, right in the other man's face--if you think your master would entertain such an idea, you're crazy. I am speaking of Collinwood of the future, says Aristede. Do you seriously believe he intends to take you with him to the future? asks Petofi. He certainly does, says Aristede confidently.  "I was wrong, you're not crazy, you're stupid," says Petofi. This hits an obvious nerve with Aristede.  Petofi continues--he doesn't need you anymore--at Collinwood, he'll have all the comforts of life--take you with him, indeed!--an albatross around his neck is what you'd be, and he knows it. Aristede holds his knife on Petofi, who says, the truth is sometimes hard to accept--your master's made it clear he wants this body left unharmed, so put the knife away before you make a serious blunder. It won't be a blunder, says Aristede, I know you will get yours--I only wish I could be here to see it. You will be, promises Petofi. They hear someone coming.  Aristede orders Petofi into the back room. Petofi refuses.  You'll do as I say! orders Aristede.
You're forgetting the game, says Petofi--I am the master, you the servant, and in the presence of others, must do as I say.  Angelique joins them. You're the last person I expected to show up, says Aristede. Why? she asks, smiling, aren't I welcome? Of course you are, says Petofi, what can I do for you? She admires his pleasant quarters, and the music stand--do you play an instrument, Count Petofi?  Curtly, Aristede says, my master is very fond of music. She didn't come to admire our modest furnishings, says Petofi. Yes, agrees Ang, I came to speak to you alone. By all means, says Petofi heartily--Aristede, leave the room.  "Excellency, do you think that would be WISE?" asks Aristede significantly. Are you questioning me? demands Petofi--if not, get out! He slaps Aristede across the face--get out!  Aristede shoots him a look of death before exiting. Angelique comes right to the point--we have a bargain not to interfere in one anther's plans, but I have reason to believe you're doing something to Quentin, something that has made him change, that will bring him to great harm. "You should have been the first one I told," he says quietly, "But I was afraid you'd be the last one to believe me--you must believe me now, Angelique; however bizarre it may sound, you must believe me."  Believe what? she asks. "That I am Quentin Collins," he says.
She gazes at him, stunned.

Collinwood - Quentin goes to Charity's door, rattles the doorknob, knocks--it's Quentin--I want to talk to you. What about? she asks. I'd like to apologize for being angry, he says, I didn't mean a  word I said--you must believe that. All right, she says. We can be friends--so open the door, he asks. She refuses, terrified. There's no need for you to be afraid of me, he assures her. You're lying, she says--I don't trust you, or know who you really are!  You shouldn't say things like that, he warns. I can't help it, says Charity--"It's the truth, ain't it?"
Listen to me carefully, he says, "If you go on raving the way you have been, your days are numbered, Charity!"  She is petrified.

Quentin walks downstairs, fastidiously adjusting his clothing. He enters the darkened drawing room. The lights go on, turned on by Aristede, who is awaiting him. Quentin is furious his servant came here.  I had no choice, says Aristede--I had to come to you. You'd better have a very good reason, Aristede, says Quentin.  Angelique's at the mill, says Aristede, right now--she said she had to talk to him, and he told me to get out, I had to obey him or give it all away. That's the first sensible thing you've done in a long time, says Q. I wonder what she wants to talk to him about? says Aristede.  That doesn't worry me, says Quentin--what will HE talk to HER about? What difference does it make? asks Aristede--no one else has believed him, why should she?  Because she has a reason to believe him, says Quentin, looking like all is lost.

Mill - Petofi has finished telling Angelique everything--from the moment it happened until now. She looks at him compassionately--I do believe you, she says--but it's easy to see why others don't. One other person believed me, he says forlornly--Julia Hoffman, but before she could help, she disappeared. Yes, says Ang, Julia was sure something terrible was going to happen--stay here for now, but I will return for you--I can't tell you where I'm going. I'm afraid to stay here alone, he says. I can't stay with you now, she says, but you'll understand all when I return. Aristede went directly to Petofi, he says, and told him about your visit--I know Petofi said he doesn't want this body harmed, but he also said he'd kill me if I keep interfering--take me with you, he begs, hide me until you can help me. Yes, I suppose it is time that you knew the truth, she agrees. They hear footsteps on the stairs as they are about to leave--Quentin. Angelique greets him with a big smile--what are you doing here? she asks. Under ordinary circumstances, he says, I'd ask you the same thing, but then, these are not ordinary circumstances, are they? What do you mean? she asks.  You're really very good, he praises--while Charity was going on tonight, I kept looking at you for a sign, but your face was nothing--but the fact you came here tells me everything.
Looking at Petofi, he says, "He has told you the whole thing, hasn't he?" (Chills!) Neither respond.  Petofi sits, nervous, and tells Angelique, there's no use denying it--he knows. Yes, I know, agrees a grinning Quentin--Angelique, you are the one who really loses-- "think of what you might have had--the mind of Count Petofi and the body of Quentin Collins--it's really quite an incredible combination--believe me, I know."  "I wouldn't care to," says Angelique icily, and moves to go. "You can't leave here!" says Quentin--you know that, don't you? "You can't stop me!" she says. I can, he says--how severe I have to be depends on you. Right in his face, she reminds him, "I am no ordinary mortal."  Nor am I, he says--you haven't yet felt the full power of the hand, my dear--and he holds it up like a weapon. You can't use its full power on me, she warns--I can resist it and you know it. That WAS true, but not now, he says. "IT'S STILL TRUE!" she cries--you can't keep me here!--good night, Count Petofi, she says, heading upstairs. Aristede stands there, waiting for her, a flaming torch held high. Petofi rises from his chair as Aristede backs Angelique, who seems to be gasping for breath, downstairs. I didn't come unprepared for you this time, gloats Quentin--you see, before you were able to devote all your energy and concentration on resisting me--you're vulnerable to fire, and while you're concentrating on that, it makes it impossible for you to resist the hand--he holds it up proudly, then, to her horror, reaches toward her and grabs her shoulder. She screams and falls to the floor, unconscious.

NOTES: Angelique plays the hero here, and we have a glimmer of hope for Quentin trapped in Petofi's body--but she has been bested, and that's very scary. She so rarely is a victim, except her own obsessions, and now she's unconscious and helpless. What will Quentin/Petofi and Aristede do to her? You had to love her brave march from the mill when she was stopped by Aristede and his flaming torch, and her face-off with PIQB beforehand. I think Angelique tied together what Charity claimed plus what she herself had observed of Quentin's new behavior--which she was willing to attribute to her being in his life.  One has to laugh!

It was very clever (and fun to watch) as Petofi bossed Aristede around, then threw in a slap for good measure. It was definitely the way Petofi usually treats him, but Aristede knows it's Quentin in that body, and hates being slapped by him. I was cheering!

How creepy that Charity knows something is wrong just by using her psychic powers. Now PIQB has a whole bunch of people learning the truth about him. What is he going to do about it, kill them all?

The verbal sparring between Angelique and Quentin, and tender scene between Angelique and Petofi as she learns the truth, were wonderful.  Charity and Quentin were no slouches, either in their wonderful back and forth dialogue, filled with accusations and denials. Selby/Barrett were outstanding, and so were Parker/David. These are some of DS' finest shows.

Love, Robin