Author Topic: Them 1903 Gypsies...  (Read 723 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Them 1903 Gypsies...
« on: March 19, 2003, 12:36:23 AM »
Every so often, when my local daily newspaper needs some 'filler', it prints "Pages from the Past", a look back at more than a century of news.

So I'm reading (small, blury type); there's 'want ads' within running news (which was a practice of the time), but there's so many ads about 'telephone service':
plus, I just read: "Smoke Nickle Leaders, full HAVANA cigars, 5 cents, at Schwartz, 8 Peace street. (lololol).

But you have to hear this one, and I'll write it verbatim:

RAIDED GYPSY CAMP[/b]

Metuchen's One-Man Police Force Puts Fifty to Flight.

Thomas Smith on Wednesday chased a band of Gypsies away from his property on the Metuchen road, near the Hotel Pines. There were about 50 men, women and children in the tribe. The Gypsies had nearly 50 horses with them, besides a lot of ducks, geese and chickens.

LMAO....!!!

'tribe'.....

But, I've saved the best article for last:

FULL FLEDGED WIFE BEATER ARRIVES AT THE JAIL.[/b]

An Interesting Addition to teh County's Exhibition of Freaks. (I swear that's the sub-headline)

The collection of exhibits at the jail has been incomplete of late because of the absence of a full-fledged wife beater. The sight-seers who daily visit the jail to look over the collection have asked Jailer Messler to bring out the man who whips his wife and turns his children out in the storm. The jailer has had to disappoint them.

Now Lawrence Baumlin, of Perth Amboy, is filling the role for an egagement of sity days. Baumlin was fined $10 at Amboy Wednesday for abusing his wife. He paid it. Soon afterward he went home and beat his wife savagely again. Then he was sent to jail.

oyevah...whadda day!!!!

Patti

From the Home News Tribune, reprint of Friday afternoon, March 20, 1903.

What a Woman!