Author Topic: #0069/0070: Robservations 07/10/01: Mrs. Johnson, Spy; Josette Dances  (Read 1430 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #69 - Everyone here at Collinwood is concerned with the mysterious death of a friend, a concern shared by others in other rooms in Collinsport.

Burke's suite - Sarah Johnson comes to call, and Burke tells her he's glad she could come. You said it might help find who murdered Mr. Malloy, she says. Then you agree with me that he was killed? asks Burke. Yes, that was no accidental drowning, she says, the way they would have you believe. They way who would have you believe? asks Burke. Everyone, she replies--the sheriff, the doctor, they think if they can write this off as an accidental death, they could close the case and no harm done. You think they'd like that? asks Burke. Of course, says Sarah, if they investigated with half the sense the good Lord gave them, they might turn up embarrassing information about certain people in this town. There's only one important family in this town--the Collinses, he says. Yes, she agrees. Did Mr. Malloy ever have any misunderstanding with any of them--with Roger in particular? asks Burke. Well, he thought the world of Mrs. Stoddard, says Sarah--he didn't have much use for Roger. Isn't that strange? asks Burke, I don't have much use for Roger, either--between us, maybe we can do something about it. She looks at him expectantly.

Burke invites Sarah to sit down, and asks if she was Bill's housekeeper for a good many years. I was, she says with dignity. You were very fond of him, weren't you? asks Burke. I guess everyone in town knew that, she confesses, except Mr. Malloy--he didn't know it because he didn't want to. How would you like to help me trap the person who killed Mr. Malloy? asks Burke.
I'd like nothing better, she assures him. Let's review what we know, says Burke. There's only one thing I know, she says--Mr. Malloy is dead. You may know a lot more than you think you do, says Burke--for example, you know he got a phone call at 10 that evening, right? Yes, she says, but I don't have any idea who it was, does it matter? It might, he says, if someone was luring him out of the house to kill him. Oh, she says, I wouldn't have dreamed... Of course not, he says, how could you--now you say he had no enemies. Mr. Malloy had a gruff way about him, but he was a good man, says Sarah, clasping her hands as if in prayer--he never hurt anyone in his life. Perhaps he was going to harm someone, suggests Burke. Not knowingly, he'd never harm anyone, insists Mrs. Johnson. Even if it was to help Elizabeth Stoddard? asks Burke. Oh, her, says Sarah--well, yes, if it was to help her, he'd have done almost anything. And if someone wanted to prevent that from happening... says Burke. Oh, I see what you mean, she says. We know he was alive and well when you left the house, he says--what time was that? he asks. Not more than five minutes after the phone call, she says. And he was dead at 10:45, recounts Burke--do you know you might have walked right past the killer, he might even have been waiting outside the house for you to leave? Her face crumbles. Oh, no, I can't believe that, she protests. It had to be, says Burke--he died at 10:45!--at least his watch was broken then. He loved that watch, she sobs, it was given to him by his father--it seems silly to cry over a broken watch--when the man himself is broken, killed, thrown into the sea to disappear. But he didn't disappear, says Burke, he was washed ashore at midnight--at the base of Widows' Hill!--at Collinwood. I believe he was seeking out his murderer! says Sarah passionately, shaking her fist, rising from the sofa--I believe in signs and omens, and I think the body of Bill Malloy was even then trying to point a finger of suspicion at his killer--he was searching for Roger Collins!

Joe enters Roger's office. Mr. Collins, you sent for me? he asks the chair, which is swung around so he can't see its occupant. Yes, says Carolyn in a deep voice, spinning around to face him, I asked to see you. I thought you were Roger, he smiles. I'm not she says--I don't even look like him (looks more like him than Liz). All I know is that somebody said I was wanted in Mr. Collins' office, says Joe. You were--you are, she says sexily. Good, says Joe, walking around the desk, I think you're a lot prettier than he is, anyway. I thought maybe you would like to take the rest of the day off, she suggests, seating him in Roger's chair, then aranging herself in his lap. She slides her arm around his neck. I'd love to, he says, but I can't. Why can't you? she asks, caressing his hair. You may not believe this, but I do have a job here, he reminds her. Can't the get along without you for one day? she asks, her mouth close to his. They did yesterday, he says, and I don't want them to find out how easy it is. I could fix it with Uncle Roger, she says in a singsong voice. You do that, he says, touching her nose, just try and I promise I'll break your neck--I get razzed enough around here, the other guys knowing you're my girl. Who told them I was? she asks. I did, he says, and they kiss, a nice, long sweet one. Joe, she says, I need help. What's wrong? he asks. I'd like you to take me to lunch, she says. I thought I was taking you to dinner, he reminds her. Let's make it an early dinner, she says, like now. Why, honey, what is it? he asks. She shrugs and climbs off his lap--it's Burke Devlin, she says--I saw him earlier this morning and he was. . .he said some things I just couldn't stand. About what? he asks. What difference does it make? she asks--couldn't we just go someplace and forget about Burke? What did Burke say to upset you? he demands. I told you, it doesn't matter, she says. It does to me--what did he say? demands Joe. Carolyn, her arms around his neck, says she's sorry for mentioning it--can't they just forget it? No I can't, sweetheart, he says, you got me all upset and I want to know... She shushes him by kissing him.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, says Burke--I don't know whether Bill Malloy knew I was so concerned on whether or not I was innocent of that crime I'd been convicted of, or he just wanted to stop my probing. He was an honest man, he'd have wanted the truth to come out, says Sarah. Let's say I was doing more than just probing, says Burke--let's say I had a plan to ruin the Collins Enterprises. Mr. Malloy would never have stood for that, says Sarah, smiling proudly, like I said, that was his whole life. So to protect that, he was willing to sacrifice Roger Collins, says Burke--yes, that's exactly what Malloy was doing--he said if he could prove me innocent of that manslaughter charge, would I drop my vendetta against the Collinses. Then Roger Collins was guilty! says Sarah. Malloy said he could prove it, says Burke--that's why he set up that meeting with myself, Roger and Sam Evans. What's Sam Evans got to do with it? asks Sarah. That's what I don't know, admits Burke, that's what we've got to find out. How can I help you? she asks. First of all, I have to know if you're willing to help, he says. Do you doubt it? she asks--I have no love for any of that family. Then you would be willing to help me with a slight conspiracy? he asks, sitting beside her--suppose we could find a way of easing you into Collinwood? How on earth would you do that? she asks. I don't know, he says, but if you were up there, it would be very easy for you to hear things and see things I'd never hear--then we could put our knowledge together and come up with something. I don't know exactly what you have in mind, she says, but I know one thing for sure--I'll do anything to help you avenge Mr. Malloy's death. She grins. That's what I wanted to hear, he says, smiling back at her.

Joe and Carolyn are still smooching. When they separate, she asks him if he's sure he doesn't want to take the rest of the day off and go somewhere with her. He seats her on the desk and says he's sure that's exactly what he'd like to do--but he's also sure it's what he can't do. She kisses him and he nuzzles her neck. Why not? she asks, my mother owns the company. Hold on--wait a minute, says Joe--the real reason that you're so anxious for my questionable company is that you had a fight with Burke Devlin, right? Wrong, she says, at least partially. Let's have it, what did he say that was so horrible? asks Joe.
He practically accused Uncle Roger of having something to do with Bill's death, says Carolyn. Joe, amazed, asks What? Burke has it in the back of his head that Malloy was going to have this big meeting, she explains--that would prove Burke wasn't driving that car that killed somebody 10 years ago. If Burke is innocent, says Joe, that means your Uncle Roger would have to be guilty. (What about Laura?) That's why I'm so upset, says Carolyn, leaping off the desk. You don't have to be, Burke must be lying, that's all, says Joe. But what for? demands Carolyn, why is he doing it? Revenge, suggests Joe--Burke was once sort of engaged to be married--to Laura. Roger's wife? asks Carolyn. Everything was just great until she met Roger and had a chance to compare the two, says Joe--Burke didn't have anything to offer and Roger had everything--so she picked him--you can't blame her. And you think Burke has resented that all these years? asks Carolyn. Why not, I would, says Joe--suppose you and I were engaged to be married--and everything's going just great--then this guy comes along with all the money in the world and he's kind of sophisticated compared to good old, easygoing Joe--so you get carried away with this guy and where does that leave me--out in the cold, twiddling m thumbs--you think I wouldn't resent that? (Sounds like he already does.) She takes his arm gentle and says, a second ago, you said you wouldn't blame the girl. Caught, he says it's a hypothetical case they're talking about--he puts his hands on her shoulders, saying he just thinks that Burke Devlin is something less than perfect. Carolyn agrees and says he should be less than perfect, too--take the rest of the day off, we'll drive out to the beach and stare at the sand fiddlers! The minute I walk out that door is when somebody's going to want me for something around here, says Joe. What about me? she asks--I want you for something right now. What? he asks. I want you to take me out to the beach so we can sit and listen to the waves--and forget all about Burke Devlin . Her hand is at the back of his hair, caressing. He nods--are you sure you want to forget about him? he asks her seriously. (Very subtle seduction, bravo!)

Roger had the strongest motive for killing Malloy, Burke tells Sarah--and if that meeting was set up to prove my innocence, it had to prove Roger's guilt--but we've got a problem--Vicki Winters says Roger didn't leave the house until 10 minutes to 11, so he couldn't have done it. Maybe she's lying, suggests Sarah. Why should she lie? asks Burke, pacing away from the sofa, I don't think she's overly fond of Roger. She's his son's tutor, says Sarah, and maybe she thinks it's important to keep her job. I know it's important to her, says Burke, at least she thinks it's important. She conveniently gives Roger the alibi he needs, says Sarah. I don't LIKE to think it happened that way, says Burke, arms crossed over his chest, his feelings for Vicki evident. Sarah rises from the couch. You like this girl, she states. Yes, he says. If you're going to bring Mr. Malloy's murderer to justice, you can't let personal feelings in, she reminds him. Burke doesn't reply, but he does look torn. All right, we'll have to assume Vicki was lying--or at least mistaken about the time Roger left the house, says Burke--because I think he left in time to kill Bill Malloy and then get to the meeting. You mean he actually appeared at the meeting? asks Sarah. Behaved perfectly naturally, says Burke, asked about Bill, was concerned about him. Sure he was, she says furiously, he already knew he'd killed him--knew Mr. Malloy's body couldn't raise up and point a finger of suspicion at him--that's exactly what Mr. Malloy did, isn't it? Yes, the body was found at Collinwood, says Burke. Who was the first person to find the body? she asks. I believe it was Miss Winters, says Burke. There, you see, says Sarah--that ties them together! (?)

Larry? says Joe into the phone in Roger's office, holding Carolyn's hand--I'll do the same for you--I'll even fill in for you twice next week, how's that? Joe tells Carolyn he's going to do it, then asks why not--OK, forget it. He won't do it, says Joe. Carolyn looks depressed. We planned on dinner tonight, he reminds her, why don't we just leave it at that? Because, she says, upset, because anything--maybe I'm just bored! (Become a candy striper, get a job, girl!--stop vegetating!) The phone rings. Aren't you gong to answer it? she asks. It's your uncle's phone, not mine, says Joe. Oh, for heaven's sake! says Carolyn, answering it herself--yes he is, she says--she hands him the phone--for you, she says--oh, yes sir, yeah, says Joe, flustered, I was just waiting for Mr. Collins to come back--see if there was anything he wanted me to do--no, sir, right away--Joe hangs up--see how important I am?--they can't do anything without me. Who was that? demands Carolyn, picking up the phone--I'll ask him myself! No! cries Joe, pushing the phone back into its cradle. Don't you want to go somewhere with me? she asks. Yes--to dinner, he says--I've got to get back to work. I think you're acting like an idiot, she pouts. Yeah, but an idiot with a job, says Joe, leaving the office--maybe I can finish up in a hurry--why don't you wait right here? I'm tired of waiting, she complains--for anything! She retrieves her coat and starts to stomp out, but he asks her not to go away sore. I'm not sore, she says, oh, I don't know what I am--don't worry about me--I'll find something to do. He's about to go after her, but the phone rings again--yes sir, right away, he says, and hangs up, unhappy.

Burke tells Sarah to see if she can't get a job at Collinwood. That won't be easy, she says, they haven't had any help there in years, excepting Matthew Morgan. It's time they had some, someone like you, he says--naturally the suggestion can't come from me, they would suspect. Everyone in Collinsport knows it's useless to apply, she says. We've got to find a way of placing you at Collinwood, he says. Someone knocks--it's Carolyn--can I talk to you? she asks. Just a minute, says Burke, and hustles Sarah into his kitchen--but her gloves and purse are still on the sofa. He takes those and hands them to her, then removes his jacket and pretends to be putting it back on when he answers the door and apologizes for keeping her waiting. That's all right, I'm used to waiting, she says. He closes the door and asks what he can do for her. I told you I was going to talk to Uncle Roger about the things you'd said, Carolyn reminds him. Did you talk to him? asks Roger. Yes, he denied everything, she says. No, he says mockingly. Please don't make fun of me, she begs, I'm mixed up enough as it is--there must be some other way that accident happened, some way you never even thought about. If there is, I wish you'd let me know, he says. Why do you have to be so stubborn? she demands. Stubborn! he says, I've think I've been very patient--five years in prison, then five years later! It's all so long ago! she cries. Bill Malloy's death wasn't a long time ago, he reminds her. Now you're just being mean, accuses Carolyn, Uncle Roger could no more have killed Mr. Malloy than I could--do you mind if I get a drink of water? She starts to go to the kitchen and he stops her, saying that place is an awful mess--I'll get it for you. He does so, preventing Sarah's being discovered. Burke and Sarah look at each other as he fills a glass with water. He smiles at Sarah before returning to Carolyn, to whom he hands the water. She drinks. Maybe I was a little hasty about that part of it, says Burke--it seemed so logical. You just don't know Uncle Roger the way I do, she says. And you don't know him he way I do, counters Burke--but I must admit, I did jump the gun--I have a lot on my mind. I know you have, she says. Bill Malloy's death struck me harder than most people, he says, I guess because he was my only real friend--I guess the only other person affected as much was Mrs. Johnson. His housekeeper? asks Carolyn. Of course, says Burke, she's completely at a loss as to what to do with herself--she really needs a job. Do you mean she's broke? asks Carolyn. No, if it were the money, I could let her have it, says Burke--she needs a job to take her mind off her loss. What can she do? asks Carolyn. Malloy said she's one of the greatest housekeepers in the world, says Burke, as Mrs. J listens from her hiding place--he swore by her. I guess there aren't too many jobs like that around here, says Carolyn. Yes, it's a shame, he says. Wouldn't it be great if...no, Mother would never go for it, says Carolyn--if Mrs. Johnson could come up to Collinwood. Why didn't I think of that? he wonders--because if I had, you would say I was getting suspicious. The more I think about it, the better I like the idea, exults Carolyn--do you think she would accept?
Mrs. Johnson listens. All we can do is ask her, says Burke. I'll talk to Mother about it, says Carolyn--I feel so much better just thinking I may be able to do something nice for somebody else for a change. Don't give yourself a hard time, says Burke--you do everybody a favor just by walking around and letting them look at you. Is that a compliment? she asks. Best I could do on the spur of the moment, he says. Thank you, she says, I'd better go home now--but she gives him one last look before going. Burke lets Mrs. Johnson out, apologizing for hiding her, explaining that it would be better if no one knows of their connection. Do you think the girl's involved? asks Sarah. No, but she lives at Collinwood, says Burke, and anyone at Collinwood is fair game.
Even the girl? asks Sarah. Anyone! says Burke.

NOTES: So Burke wants to place Sarah into Collinwood as a spy! Cool plan, but will it work? We know the role Sarah played at Collinwood for years. She was a hoot! The seeds have been planted. Perhaps Carolyn needed some candy striper work at the hospital to prevent boredom and give her something charitable to do!

Carolyn thinks that, because she's bored, she can just wrench Joe away from work anytime she likes. He's too proud a guy to give in, although he did try. I doubt he likes being reminded that her mother owns the company and since he's her boyfriend, he can do as he likes. I'm sure he was very tempted by Carolyn's seductive lap dance, but it didn't accomplish what she wanted it to. She sure is hot when she wants to be.

Sarah's love for Bill and her desire to seek out his murderer is very touching. She's a good woman. I think she already senses how much Burke hates the Collinses and wants to get back not just at Roger, but Carolyn and all the rest. Carolyn was pathetically grateful for Burke's compliment on her looks, but Sarah knows the truth, and she's too moral to put up with much of what will happen. I don't think she relishes the idea of taking down the entire family as much as he does, especially not the innocent.

Episode #70 - Collinwood has had 130 years of brooding existence, years of hatred, fear and violence--just when it appears to be ending, the house seems to gather strength--and offers more of the same.

Vicki enters the drawing room. David said you wanted to speak to me, she tells Liz. Come in, please, and close the door, instructs Liz. Vicki does so. Where's David? Liz asks. Upstairs in his room, says Vicki. I don't want anyone to hear what I'm going to say to you, says Liz. David, of course, is already on his way downstairs to take his position at Eavesdrop Central--and presses his ear to the double doors. I haven't really had a chance to speak to you since Burke was here last night, says Liz. Is there something wrong? asks Vicki. I wanted to thank you for saying what you did to Burke, confirming the time that Roger left the house, says Liz. I only told the truth, says Vicki. I suppose you know from Burke's actions--insisting that Roger have an alibi, says Liz, that he thinks Roger killed Mr. Malloy. I gathered that, says Vicki. What do you make of Mr. Malloy's death? asks Liz. I think it must have been accidental, says Vicki. I think it must have been, too, agrees Liz--nevertheless, it was very reassuring having you tell Burke that Roger was still here at 10 minutes to 11. They hear an altercation outside the door--Matthew has caught David listening. The boy bolts into the drawing room and into Liz' arms. Help me! wails David. Liz gives Matthew a look, and he gazes back at her solemnly.

What is it? Liz asks Matthew. I come in the back way, he says, saw this young one listenin' at the door. He snuck up and hit me! accuses David. I didn't hit him, says Matthew, I pulled him away from where he was. I wasn't listening, I wasn't! says David. It's not important, Liz assures him. I was just waiting for Miss Winters! insists David. There she is, says Liz, now go along with her. Vicki and David leave, and Matthew closes the doors. I have to tell you about something I did, he says.

I don't like Matthew, David complains to Vicki on the upstairs landing--he's mean! No he isn't, says Vicki, he does everything for your aunt. The ghosts of Collinwood don't know him, either, says David. Are you back on that subject again? she asks him. I don't care what you say--I know there are ghosts here! he says. Only superstition, says Vicki, nothing more. I see them and talk to them! he says, there's one who talks to me an awful lot--a pretty lady dressed all in white! Just your imagination, says Vicki. What would you say if you saw a picture of her--I drew one, it's up in my room. Let's go see it, says Vicki. You don't believe me, he says, taking her hand and dragging her along--but I'll show you.

Mr. Devlin was here last night, Matthew tells Liz, so I guess he told you what I did. Yes, says Liz, he said you tried to strangle him. I tried to kill him, amends Matthew. Why? she asks. I warned him once, told him if he tried to make anymore trouble for Collinwood, I'd kill him--the only thing I'm sorry about it that I didn't succeed! You can't take the law into your own hands, protests Liz. I know what's right, says Matthew. That wasn't right and you know it, she says. Sometimes I have to use my own judgment about what's right and what isn't, says Matthew. No you don't--not when it comes to a thing like this--is that clear? demands Liz. Yes, he says, heading to the door. I appreciate the fact that you were acting for the Collins family, she says. I know that, he says--I hope you always know that anything I do is for Collinwood. I know that, she assures him. He leaves, closing the doors behind him, then stand there, enraged.

Matthew twists a dark light bulb in one of the doorway sconces until it goes on. David stands on the landing, looking down. Vicki shows Matthew a picture and asks if he's ever seen anything like this. Where did you get it? he asks. David drew it, she explains, it's one of the ghosts of Collinwood, or so he has. You've been foolin' around the Old House, haven't ya? Matthew calls up to David. No, says David, why should I? What's the Old House? asks Vicki. Nothing--it's a dangerous place, says Matthew--maybe more dangerous than the top of Widows' Hill. (First mention of Old House.) I've never heard of it, says Vicki. Just as well you didn't, says Matthew--you want to take care you don't poke your nose where it doesn't belong. You can't tell me where I can and can't go! says David. I can't tell ya, but I can warn ya, Matthew says--stay away from the Old House. He exits through the kitchen. What did he mean by that? asks Vicki. I don't know, says David, coming downstairs, I told you I didn't like him. He seemed to recognize the drawing, says Vicki. How could he? asks David. I don't know, she says--maybe we can find out--she enters the drawing room and shows it to Liz, who's sitting on the sofa--take a look at this drawing, she says. When did you do this? asks Liz. Not long ago, says David. He says it's one of the ghosts of Collinwood, says Vicki. It IS! says David, it really is! Liz rises and takes the drawing to the family history book. She finds the page of Josette and compares them, saying they're very much alike--when did you do this, David?--did you take it from here?
No, he insists, I drew it from memory--it's from a real, live ghost--the one who lives at the Old House! What is the Old House? asks Vicki. He means the house in the woods, says Liz--the original Collinwood--nobody's lived there for years. Except ghosts! pipes David. Stop it! orders Liz. I keep trying to tell him there are no such things as ghosts, says Vicki. And I keep trying to tell you there ARE! says David, hands on hips--I know there are! Are what? Asks Carolyn, joining the discussion. Ghosts! Cries David, and runs from the room, Vicki in pursuit, telling him to wait a minute. What was that all about? Carolyn asks her mother. I don't know, says Liz. a chuckle in her voice. I wanted to talk to you anyway, says Carolyn, closing the doors.

On the stairs, David complains to Vicki that nobody believes him--"But I'll show you the Old House," he vows, then maybe you'll believe me. All right, she says. We have to wait until dark, he says--they don't come out until then. Who? she asks. The ghosts! He says--are you afraid to come with me? Nope, she says, I'm not afraid. What if they don't like you? he asks. That's a chance we're just going to have to take, won't we? she asks. They go upstairs, Vicki smiling at him.

Carolyn takes off her coat. Liz asks what she wanted to talk to her about. You've been looking terribly tired lately, notes Carolyn. We've all been under a strain, says Liz. It's not just that, says Carolyn, but since Uncle Roger and David have come to live here, there's too much work for you to do--you ought to have some help. I do have, Liz smiles--I have you and now Vicki to help with David. Yes I know, says Carolyn, but what you really need is a housekeeper. I prefer to keep my own house, says Liz--besides, who is there in Collinsport who would want to work here? There might be someone, says Carolyn--besides you need somebody around, even just to talk to. You forget, my dear, teases Liz, I have all of David's ghosts. Carolyn grimaces and looks at the drawing of Josette in the album.

Carolyn, in night clothes, comes into the foyer with a tea tray to find Vicki and David in their coats. Where are you going? asks Carolyn. Out, says David. David is going to show me some ghosts, says Vicki in a mock-scared voice. At this time of night? asks Carolyn. It's the best time to see them, insists David. I thought the walk would make me sleep better, says Vicki. You won't be too late? says Carolyn. No, Vicki assures her. I always knew David was odd, but I didn't know you were, Vicki, says Carolyn. I'll take care of her, don't worry, says David, and grabs Vicki's hand and pulls her out the door.

Carolyn carries the tray in to Liz, who is sitting on the sofa. Made with my own lily-white hands, says Carolyn--I hope it's decent. Liz thanks her. About the housekeeper, says Carolyn. I thought we finished with that this afternoon, says Liz. No, says Carolyn, I said I was going to try to think of somebody and I have--Mrs. Johnson. Sarah Johnson? asks Liz--what made you think of her? Well, says Carolyn, I thought about how awful she must feel with Mr. Malloy dead--I know she'll be terribly lonely. Liz shrugs and says she imagines she will be.
See, we'd be doing ourselves and favor and something good for her, says Carolyn. Liz thinks it over and says she doesn't know. It's something Mr. Malloy would have wanted you to do, points out Carolyn (another Collins manipulator)!

David leads Vicki through the woods. Are you sure this is the right way? she asks. I could get there with my eyes blindfolded, he says. I didn't realize it would be so far, she says as he all but drags her along. It's not far, he says--what's the matter--you afraid? Of course not, she says. Then come on, he urges. We see our first view of the Old House, its columns gleaming eerily in the setting sun (this is a great outdoor shot--how sad that the Tarrytown Old House burned down). Flashlight in hand, David leads Vicki across the porch and up the stairs between the columns. The wind blows hard. David opens the doors and they enter. There is a lot of junk strewn all over the place; the windows are broken. It's huge, observes Vicki. It's got an attic and cellar, says David. You must be the only person that's been here in years, says Vicki. Are ghosts a person? he asks. Oh, a ghost...oh, David, they don't exist, says Vicki, annoyed. They aren't alive, but they exist, all right, David assures her--wait and see. A shutter abruptly bangs closed, scaring both David and Vicki. It bangs in the wind. I think that shutter is one of your ghosts, says Vicki. No it's not, he says, you'll know it when you see it. Vicki hugs herself against the chill. David lights a candle as the wind hums through the ancient house.

A figure carrying a lantern approaches the Old House--Matthew Morgan.

David places the candle below the portrait of a young woman. It's Josette Collins, says Vicki. That's the lady in white, explains David. But this is her drawing, says Vicki--you copied it from this painting. No I didn't! protests David--I told you--just looks like her, because that's who it is--she can never leave Collinwood. How do you know that? asks Vicki. She told me so, he says. Oh, David, she says, stop with that nonsense. It isn't nonsense! he says angrily--she told me she's condemned to stay here until a third girl dies at the rocks at the bottom of Widows' Hill--I was hoping she'd come see you. Why? asks Vicki. Because maybe you're that third girl, suggests David--maybe you're the one who will fall and die on Widows' Hill. (Aw, how sweet, David!) They hear approaching footsteps and both are nervous. The figure climbs the Old House stairs and enters the house, closing the door behind him. David and Vicki are clasping hands in fear. The figure holds up a lantern--it's Matthew, glaring at them.

It's you, is it? asks Matthew, his tone friendly. You nearly scared me to death, says Vicki. I saw somebody going in here, figured it might be prowlers, says Matthew, so I figured I'd take a look--I told you to stay away from here, he reminds David. You had no right to tell me what to do! says David. No, I haven't, but I'll speak to your aunt about it, promises Matthew, then tells Vicki that if she wants his advice, she should keep away from this place--it's not healthy--in my opinion, it should be torn down. Don't you dare even suggest that! insists David--this is MY house, my very own--anybody tries to do anything to it, I'll get Josette Collins to kill them! Matthew looks up at Josette's portrait.

Carolyn joins her mother in looking out the window. You worried about David? she asks Liz--Vicki's with him. I know, says Liz--I used to worry about you when you were his age. If you ask me, you still do, says Carolyn, I'll never forget the furor about my being late for dinner the other night. It isn't fair to the others, says Liz. You were worried about the dinner, says Carolyn--there, you see what you ought to have is a housekeeper and cook--it's silly for you to do all that. Why are you suddenly so interested in a housekeeper for Collinwood? asks Liz--do you think we owe something to Sarah Johnson? Yes I do, says Carolyn, Mr. Malloy worked for our company, so in a way, Mrs. Johnson did, too--she must feel almost like a widow now--she has no place where she feels needed. I'm glad you're so considerate, darling, says Liz. Besides, grins Carolyn, she's a great cook. Ah ha! says Liz. That's only one reason, says Carolyn. I'm relieved to hear there's nothing but good food on your mind, teases Liz. Then you will ask her? says Carolyn. I'll think about it, promises Liz and walks toward the stairs. Carolyn closes the window, smiling, pleased.

Poor lady, Matthew remarks to David and Vicki, legend has it she's always unhappy away from her real family.
I know, says David. You all finished here, I'll see you get home safely, says Matthew. I'll be quite happy to get home, says Vicki, come on David, we can come back here another day. She wouldn't come here tonight anyway, says David, turning to look at Matthew--she doesn't like him. Matthew blows out the candle and precedes Vicki and David out of the Old House, holding the lantern high.
They troop down the steps, David and Vicki holding hands. Inside the house, the ghost of Josette Collins steps down from the portrait (as if climbing down invisible stairs), dressed in a white wedding gown. She turns to look at her portrait and slowly glides toward the door and out.
We see her floating past the columns of the house, past wind-swept trees. She begins to gracefully twirl and dance, around and around, as if enjoying her freedom, even if just for a little while.

NOTES: I haven't seen these shows in 35 years! How wonderful to see Josette dance through the Old House, and to know she exists, and not just in David's imagination! Usually when an adult tells a kid that something is his/her imagination, it proves to be true. Not this time. Josette is a real ghost!

These were some genuinely scary scenes. The outside and inside of the Old House seems authentic and genuinely forlorn and creepy.

The scenes in which Carolyn works to convince Liz to hire Sarah Johnson are so sweet to watch. Carolyn relishes the idea of doing good for someone, and she sees this as win-win--and Liz probably could do with an extra pair of hands--even if they are spying hands. I see real affection between Bennett and Barrett, and it imbues their characters with similar caring.

Now we're getting to some scary stuff!

Love, Robin