Author Topic: 16 Basic Smiley's Not Working?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Basic Smiley's Not Working?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2003, 04:53:15 AM »
I'm stuck with IE....the version of Netscape on this computer is so old I think it was written by Thomas Edison!!  The Kid has her entire life's history stored on it and throws a tantrum every time The Husband says he's going to change it!!

When you upgrade to a newer version of Netscape, you have the option of using all the previous settings/info from the old one. The setup program just imports them right in.

But if your daughter is still afraid that her stuff might get lost in the process, the nice thing about Netscape is that, unlike IE, you can have more than one working version. A newer version can be installed and run while you're still using the old one. You'd have the option of doing a clean install (which means starting from scratch with no previous settings/info imported) or you could import your old settings and use them with the new version while your daughter would still be able to use them with the old. Nothing would get lost. Trust me. I've had multiple versions of Netscape running on my computer - and I've never lost anything. :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2003, 09:00:32 AM »

The problem has to do with IE.  I see the smileys in your posts using Netscape, but in IE the sad smiley is also missing in MB's message following "Wrong."

I thought we couldn't use Netscape.  After reading this I decided to try my Mozilla and it now works!  In fact, some smilies that didn't show up in IE do show up there.  Yippee!!  I won't have to bring up IE just to come here!!! :) [clap]
Josette

Connie

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2003, 10:20:54 AM »
You must have a smiley grabber[bite] on your keyboard.

This woman is getting rather amusing in her old age.

-CLC

PS  Basic smileys aren't working for me either.   8)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 06:12:21 PM »
I thought we couldn't use Netscape.  After reading this I decided to try my Mozilla and it now works!

Netscape 7.x, Mozilla1.x and 2.x, and Opera 6.x and 7.x may stop working with the forum again. I haven't had the chance yet to see if the security issues I had with those browsers on the SP forum are also present with SE. If they are, people will once again be restricted to using Netscape 6.x or IE.  [sadb]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 07:34:03 PM »
So I guess the appropriate response to this problem is to be grateful that it's the 16 Basic Smiley's I'm having a problem with....not the 274 New,  Amazing, Fantastic Smileys.....and to leave well enough alone at least until the situation with the newer Netscape versions is resolved.

rainey.....who is always grateful when weird crap isn't HER fault. [woryb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2003, 09:48:08 PM »
I just installed the latest version of Opera (7.02 - and in fact, I'm posting this message with it) and all the smileys show up fine. Who knows what it is about IE that's causing problems? :-