Author Topic: Random Thoughts on Quentin's Room etc.  (Read 4044 times)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Random Thoughts on Quentin's Room etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2003, 02:32:02 AM »
I have a feeling that if they HAD chosen to show the Rectory exterior, it would have looked more like YOUR idea of it than mine, Cassandra Blair.  Nothing was ever TOO gothic for this show....and pretty little Puritan chapels aren't NEARLY spooky enough!!   [ghost]

raineypark
     There is a little clapboard church on a road I take to Freeport.  It is very spooky.  It has a little graveyard next to it.  It is a very tiny church that is not used anymore but is an historic landmark.  During the day, the church looks lonely and sad but at night it looks creepy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2003, 03:32:51 AM »
Hmm....well, I would think Quentin would look just fine draped over just about anything -- a short bed, a long bed, a chair, the bannister, my lap....whatever.

Humbly,
-CLC
   ;D

Sorry for the interruption.  As you were, folks.   ::)

There's a photo of him in which he's draped on a brass bed in the 30th Anniversay Alamanac.  Mmmm.  I'm sorry... what were we talking about? :)

Oooh, yes please!  Or on my lap...or whatever, LOL!  I'm willing to share if you are, Connie!   ::)

Apparently you three have forgotten how easily I am embarassed! [blshb] [blshy]

And can we pleeeze stop talking about the rectory - my wife is wondering what I am giggling about! [emblgh]

[jester] [smokn] [6283]

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2003, 06:54:50 AM »
The cast list I found shows Henry Baker as playing Istvan.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 08:09:42 AM »
Cassandra, wasn't there a Black nurse who refused Nicholas Blair entry to the room of a dying Tom Jennings while he was in the Collinsport Hospital?  She was rather saucy as I remember, and appeared to be a good judge of character - she let Maggie Evans right in to see Tommy J.

Oh yes! You're right about that, I had forgotten all about the nurse.  Yeah she was a smart cookie too not letting Mr Blair into the room but yet allowing Maggie in to see Tom.  She saw right through Nickolas!  ;)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 09:58:36 AM »
Apparently you three have forgotten how easily I am embarassed! [blshb] [blshy]

Well, ya know Ringo, images of Selby draped over things just pop into your head sometimes and you have no control over it.

[gring]

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2003, 09:20:29 PM »
The cast list I found shows Henry Baker as playing Istvan.

[shockeyes] Goodness that Istvan is quite something!  (Sorry all I'm about a week behind in my episodes since I'm borrowing them.  Hence, the delayed reaction.  lol!)   All I can say is please bring him back as a ghost!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
I have a feeling that if they HAD chosen to show the Rectory exterior, it would have looked more like YOUR idea of it than mine, Cassandra Blair.  Nothing was ever TOO gothic for this show....and pretty little Puritan chapels aren't NEARLY spooky enough!!   [ghost]

raineypark
     There is a little clapboard church on a road I take to Freeport.  It is very spooky.  It has a little graveyard next to it.  It is a very tiny church that is not used anymore but is an historic landmark.  During the day, the church looks lonely and sad but at night it looks creepy.

I remember watching on some TLC or Discovery or History Channel or somesuch, a program about hauntings.  One of the "ghost experts" stated that one of the most haunted places happen to be churches.  Boo!

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2003, 02:29:47 PM »
I think the rectory set is the study set (which served as multiple sets for multiple plots) revamped, but I'll have to take another look.

The furnishings in the rooms got moved around so much that it's hard to tell what's supposed to be there after awhile. You see that ugly-as-sin pink lamp in one character's house and then it's gone and across town before you can snap your fingers.

A lot of the furniture is quasi-Eastlake which would be about the right time period for the plot.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2003, 07:29:23 PM »
Hello, Connie and Cassandara I do love the
idea of The Q-man drapped over our laps!!!!!!
OH MY WHAT A FABLOUS THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( ANNE WHO NOW NOW HOPES THAT THE
Q-MAN WILL BE HERE ORDERLY OR NURSE
TOMORROW FOR HAND SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( YUMMY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2003, 04:22:45 AM »
Hello, Connie and Cassandara I do love the
idea of The Q-man drapped over our laps!!!!!!
OH MY WHAT A FABLOUS THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( ANNE WHO NOW NOW HOPES THAT THE
Q-MAN WILL BE HERE ORDERLY OR NURSE
TOMORROW FOR HAND SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( YUMMY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

now annie if we had nurses or aides that look
like Quentin how would us  mere mortals get our work done at the hospital :-*
just have sweet dreams of The Q man and it'll be over soon :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2003, 04:13:30 AM »
I'm trying to recall what Quentin's room looked like in the 1841 Parallel Time storyline, and I think we see another room to the suite then, to the right of where the roll top desk is now located. I think there's also a secret panel from that room going down to a hidden sepulcher or something.

Thanks for the interesting info on what the exterior of the rectory might have looked like (not how I would picture it at all).

Thanks for the refresher on Petofi's threat; comments on furnishings in Quentin's room, etc. Actually I'm not sure if Luciaphil was referring to furniture in Quentin's room or at the Rectory; I've never heard of Eastlake style.

SheilaMarch was interested in the DS sets and figured out what parts of earlier sets were used, and I think she said that the Rectory interior was mostly made up of Dr. Lang's place. Interesting that CassandraBlair would make such an intuitive connection by bringing up the gothic exterior of Lang's home. That's something of how I would picture the exterior of the Rectory too.

Like CassB., I wondered if Quentin's current room is the one he and Jenny lived in, but I rather think that he returned to his original room, not the rooms he shared with Jenny.

I hope we'll see more of that antechamber to Quentin's room that we saw briefly last week. That was really lovely.

I'm assuming now that the sculptures I mentioned are bronze. I don't know too much about metals, because I would think of bronze as looking somewhat like brass only darker or smokier, but the more I think of it, it seems that bronze is very dark.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2003, 04:27:45 PM »
Eastlake was a person. I don't believe he actually designed/built furniture, but he was responsible for influencing a new style. He had some connection to William Morris too . . . so late Victorian/precursor to early Arts and Crafts.

Here are some visuals (not everything here is what I'd consider to be Eastlake so be warned):

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=eastlake+furniture&sa=N&tab=wi

You've all probably seen the stuff before and just not known it. Eastlake believed in a return to hand crafts and moving away from machine crafted furniture (which of course is one of the premises of the Arts and Crafts movement)

However, what happened is that "Eastlake became a kind of catch-all term meaning different things to different people." For instance, I'm the proud owner of a cherry dresser with burled walnut inlays and a marble top. Some of the carving was machine turned and it's kind of elaborate. It's considered an Eastlake piece even though I doubt Eastlake would have liked it.

This site tells a little bit more about that:

http://ah.bfn.org/a/archsty/east/

Check out some of the links to architectural styles, while you're there.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2003, 05:39:51 PM »
All of our living room furniture is Arts and Crafts ......but in the Mission style.  I tell people it's all original and authentically hand crafted......because my husband designed and built it all himself.  [lghy]

Your dresser sounds wonderful!
rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas