Author Topic: #0067/0068: Robservations 07/09/01: Enter Mrs. Johnson!  (Read 1363 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0067/0068: Robservations 07/09/01: Enter Mrs. Johnson!
« on: July 08, 2001, 05:29:35 PM »
Episode #67 - Even daylight cannot dispel the dark suspicions that constantly hover over Collinwood--and over all of Collinsport.

Collinsport Inn, restaurant - Maggie replenishes the sugar in the dispensers. Carolyn enters and tells her she's looking for Burke Devlin--the clerk said he's not up in his room. I haven't seen him, says Maggie resentfully, and that makes my day just about perfect--I'll be just as happy if I never see him again. Mother told me what Burke said to you, says Carolyn, I mean about my uncle and your father allowing him to go to prison for a crime he didn't commit. How about that? asks Maggie--you know, maybe I do want to see him--the more I think about it, the madder I get--I just might slip a touch of rat poison into his coffee. Did he mean all those things he said? asks Carolyn. He sure did, replies Maggie. I don't see how your father could have been mixed up in his it, says Carolyn. He couldn't, says Maggie, he sticks to himself and never gets involved in anything. Wasn't he there when Burke was making all these wild explanations? asks Carolyn. He had an errand to do, says Maggie hesitantly, he left--but believe me, if he had been there, Burke wouldn't have been shooting off his mouth the way he was! Mother says Burke is simply a bitter man who'll stop at nothing to get back at the Collins family, says Carolyn. She also said he was capable of murder, Maggie informs Carolyn, who looks perturbed to hear this.

Mother didn't mean that, says Carolyn--after you left, she said she had spoken without thinking. Sometimes that's when people say the truth, says Maggie, wiping off the tops of the sugar shakers. No, she said she didn't know what Burke WAS capable of, explains Carolyn and she took back the part about committing murder--and then she said all the talk about murder was nonsense, and that Mr. Malloy must have fallen, accidentally. Is that what you think? asks Maggie. I don't know what to think, says Carolyn. If it was just an accident, asks Maggie, why is Burke stirring up such a fuss? According to Mother, it's because he hates us poor Collinses, explains Carolyn--he says we're responsible for him going to prison 10 years ago. Ten years ago, muses Maggie--everything seems to have started then--that's when Burke went to prison, Roger got married and left--even my Pop seemed to have changed then. In what way? asks Carolyn. I don't know, I guess he was upset about Burke going away to prison, says Maggie, they really were good friends. From what my mother said, they aren't anymore, says Carolyn. No, agrees Maggie. Why should they be enemies now? asks Carolyn. I don't know, admits Maggie. You don't suppose there's any truth in what Burke says? suggests Carolyn. If there is, it means my pop and your Uncle Roger both lied--do you want to believe that? asks Maggie. No, I don't, says Carolyn. Well either Burke lied or Pop and your uncle lied--one or the other, says Maggie. It's very confusing, isn't it? asks Carolyn. Sure is, says Maggie. Burke comes in and greets them. Speak of the devil, says Maggie. Were you? asks Burke, immaculate in a three piece suit. We were just talking about you, says Carolyn. You couldn't have chosen a more fascinating subject! declares Burke.

What about Burke Devlin? Sam, seated in a chair in the police station, asks Sheriff Patterson. From he said, I gather he came to see you for a specific reason, says Patterson. I don't know why he should have thought that...anyhow, he should be satisfied now, and you should be, too, says Sam. No one has to satisfy me, says Patterson, all I'm doing is collecting information to present to the coroner so he can decide if there should be a further investigation. The man slipped and fell in the water and drowned, says Sam--why does it have to be investigated? He wanders to the window and gazes out through the chain link fence covering it. Just to make sure someone didn't happen to help him slip, says Patterson. Ridiculous! insists Sam--Malloy was well liked--a fine man, good friend. Agreed, says Patterson--now, let's go over your statement again, shall we? If' I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times, complains Sam. Tell me 101, orders Patterson--we know Bill fell into the water at 10:45, that's the time his watch was stopped, and you say you left your house 10:30. 10:30 or so, maybe later, says Sam. That's what I want to know, says Patterson, as close as you can, the exact time. I said 10:30, it could have been 10:40, 10:50, says Sam, annoyed--I don't know! How long would it normally take you to walk from the Collins cannery to your house? asks Patterson. Ten minutes, five minutes, it depends, says Sam. On what? asks Patterson. On whether or not I saw something along the way, says Sam, again peering out the window--something that attracted my fancy--I'm an artist, George, sometimes, I stop and look at cloud formations--anything! Let's get one thing straight, says Patterson, I'm not trying to trap you into admitting something you shouldn't, I'm trying to help you.
I know you are, says Sam, and you have to excuse me for the way I was talking, I was upset--Malloy was a good friend of mine and of everyone in Collinsport. Yeah, except for possibly one person, says Patterson--what about Maggie, was she home?--would she remember what time you left? Maggie? says Sam--she might. It would be a help if she did, says Patterson, who answers the buzzer on his desk--oh, ask Mrs. Johnson to come in, will you? He hangs up. Bill Malloy's housekeeper? asks Sam--are you through with me now? You sound relieved, remarks Patterson. Shouldn't I be? asks Sam. Ask yourself that, Sam, not me, advises the sheriff, and Sam heads for the door. Mrs. Sarah Johnson, hat on her head, her hair in a tight bun in the back, a sour look on her face, passes Sam, and they silently exchange looks. Sam leaves. Thank you for coming in, Sarah, says Patterson. Never mind that, George, she says, a sneer on her face--I only want to know one thing from you--who killed Mr. Malloy?

Maggie wipes down the counter, sneaking glances at Burke, who is seated at a table with Carolyn. I understand you almost had dinner with Vicki Winters again, says Carolyn. News certainly gets around in Collinsport, says Burke--you don't begrudge my eating, do you?--how about you--would you care for something? No, thanks, she says--I hear you were at Collinwood last night. Having a little late tea, says Burke. Can't you forget about food? she asks. I'm hungry, he says. That is not why you came to see Uncle Roger, says Carolyn. Hardly, says Burke. Did you get the information you came for? asks Carolyn. Not exactly, says Burke--but I did learn one thing--that you are possibly the only completely honest person living at Collinwood. She grins. What does that mean? she asks. Let's take them in order, suggests Burke--there's your cousin, David--he's not exactly George Washington. I know, David lies all the time, says Carolyn. Probably gets it from his father, says Burke. Mother says she's never... begins Carolyn. Ah, yes, your mother, interrupts Burke--I think she believes only what she wants to believe--which is what she accused me of doing--(Burke has a cold)--and then there's Vicki Winters. What does she have to do with it? asks Carolyn--she's not a Collins. But she lives at Collinwood, says Burke--apparently, that's enough--some of the Annais must have rubbed off on her, too. Annais? Repeats Carolyn. If you read your bible, says Burke, you'd know he was the first great liar--I hope what happened to him doesn't happen to her. What did happen to him? asks Carolyn. He was struck dead, says Burke. More coffee, offers Maggie. No, thank you, says Burke, rising--I'm surprised I survived the last cup. I was fresh out of arsenic, says Maggie nastily. Carolyn tells him she wants to talk to him. I've got to make some phone calls now, he says, dropping money on the table. She starts to insists, but he barks, "Later!" and goes on his way. I know I ought to hate him, Carolyn tells Maggie, but I don't. I know, Maggie replies, sitting at the table with her, it's the same with me.

Patterson explains to Mrs. Johnson that the autopsy report states Bill died by drowning--there were signs of blows on his head, but they were probably caused by the water against the rocks (or his head). Probably, says Sarah, then you don't know for sure. All I know for sure is what the doctor told me, says Patterson, that the death coincided with the time on his watch--and it stopped 10:45. That was right after I left the house, murmurs Sarah. Now, about the time, says Patterson, you said that Bill received a phone call at 10:30--do you have any idea who that was from? Not the slightest, she says. Nothing he said gave you any hint as to whether it was a man or a woman? asks the sheriff. I'm not in the habit of eavesdropping, George, she says. I didn't mean that, he says, chastened. How did you expect me to hear anything, then? she asks. I guess I didn't, he says. Must have been a man, says Sarah--Mr. Malloy was shouting, you could hear even without listening. Shouting, was he? asks Patterson--then it must have been something he didn't like. Or someone he didn't like, says Sarah--he had a temper, you know. Do you think it could have been something that upset him so much, he went out and killed himself? asks Patterson. I should say not! she says--he no more killed himself than he had an accident--Mr. Malloy wasn't the type. You don't have to be any special type to have an accident, says Patterson. That's your opinion, she says, it's my opinion that accidents just don't happen to people like Mr. Malloy--and a man who's going to kill himself doesn't take the time to order breakfast early for the morning after he's done it. He ordered a special breakfast? asks Patterson. The last thing he said to me, begins Sarah, her voice thick with tears, just before I left, was that he wanted breakfast half an hour early. Did he say why? asks Patterson. Just that he had a lot of things to do, she says--now a man doesn't talk like that, then go out and kill himself 10 minutes later! He puts a comforting hand on her shoulder as she breaks down, and tells her he's sorry. He's all set to get her a cup of water, but finds there are no cups. He again puts a hand on her shoulder and apologizes for being out of cups for the water--who do you think would have wanted to kill Bill Malloy? he asks her. Go up to Collinwood and ask your questions there, she says, wiping her eyes with a tissue. I did, he says, it could be that I didn't ask the right questions--did you have anything specific in mind? No, she says, a tear glittering beneath her eye, just a feeling that his death was somehow connected to the Collins family--or the boats or the cannery--that was his whole life--the Collins family--the Collins fishing fleet--the Collins cannery--it's all he ever thought about. And you resented that a little bit, I suppose? asks Patterson.
Like I say, they had a right to--they were his whole life--I think they were his death, too, she adds bitterly, wiping her eyes viciously. (Did Sarah love Bill?)

A hand grabs Maggie's shoulder, and she turns around, scared. It's Sam; he wants to talk to her. Before you start in, she says, you'd better answer my question--I had a talk with Mr. Wells this morning--he said you were in here last night trying to get back that letter you had me put in the safe. It wasn't important, says Sam. It wasn't? she says, incredulous, you made me swear that...open it unless something happened to you--you said it was life insurance, well that sounds pretty important to me--I thought we agreed to leave it where it was. I meant, says Sam, my reason for asking Mr. Wells to give me that letter wasn't important, it's just that I wanted to add a postscript, that's all. Maggie looks doubtful. OK, she says, so write another letter if you want to, and I'll put it with the one I already have, OK? Sure, he says, anything you say. it's already been said, she tells him--what's on your mind? I was wondering if you happened to remember the time I left the house the other night? asks Sam--the night Bill Malloy died. You know I have enough trouble keeping track of you when you're at home, chuckles Maggie, not when you leave. Try to think, he asks--was I home at, say, 10:45? Who wants to know?--Burke? asks Maggie, her face angry. No, says Sam, George Patterson was asking. The sheriff? asks Maggie--Pop, what does that mean?--what time did Malloy die? 10:45, says Sam. The sheriff thinksm begins Maggie...now, Pop, that's plain silly--why should you need an alibi? He doesn't think anything, says Sam, he was just asking--and I just wondered if you happened to know what time if was, if you noticed it. If the sheriff wants to know, he can ask me, she says sternly. All right, Maggie, says Patterson, entering the shop, what time did your father leave the house? At 10:45! replies Maggie belligerently--I happened to check my watch--and then I called the Naval Observatory to send a balloon just be make sure. George looks at her, pursing his lips, and Sam looks guilty.

That's fine, says Burke into the phone, get all those papers together and be prepared to come back here at a moment's notice--right--we can expect action soon. He answers his door to Carolyn and invites her in. To what do I owe the honor? he asks. I'm not sure you'll think it is such an honor, she says. Try me, he suggests. All right, she says, Mother said you accused Uncle Roger of knowing something about Bill Malloy's death. I don't think I put it just like that, says Burke. I don't care how you put it, says Carolyn impatiently, is that what you meant? I've had many conversations at a lot of different times, and say a lot of different things, says Burke. It was at Maggie Evans', says Carolyn, when Vicki was there for dinner. Oh, yes, says Burke, I suppose Miss Winters ran right up to Collinwood to repeat everything verbatim. No, she didn't, says Carolyn, she didn't say anything about it. Maybe I've misjudged her, says Burke. It was Maggie, says Carolyn, she came up to Collinwood looking for Uncle Roger; he wasn't at home, so she spoke to Mother. Yes, says Burke, that's something Maggie would do. Did you really think Uncle Roger was involved in Mr. Malloy's death? asks Carolyn. I may have, admits Burke. But how could he have been? asks Carolyn, and why?--I just don't believe it. I wish somebody would have felt this strongly about me 10 years ago, says Burke. Does it all go back to that accident? she asks. Yes it does, he says. But that was settled when the jury convicted you! says Carolyn. I thought the jury was wrong, says Burke--so did Bill Malloy, that's why he was killed. He was not murdered, says Carolyn, he slipped and fell. There was no reason for him to slip and fall, says Burke--there was a good reason for him to be killed!

Say what you like, Maggie tells Patterson, but if anybody asks me what time my Pop left the house the other night, I'll tell them 10:45.
Would you be willing to get up in a court of law and swear that under oath? asks Patterson. No, says Sam, she wouldn't, she doesn't really know. How can you say that? demands Maggie--you don't know how I check up on you all the time! You don't have to perjure yourself for me, insists Sam, besides, I don't need it--I didn't do anything I can't account for. Then you don't know what time your father left the house? asks Patterson. No, she doesn't, responds Sam--but I do--it was 10:30--I walked around for a while, trying to make up my mind whether or not I should go to the meeting. And then you finally decided? asks Patterson. Obviously--I was there, points out Sam. But Malloy wasn't, says the sheriff. He had an accident on the way, that's all, says Maggie defensively. Patterson explains that all he's trying to do is collect all the facts he can to present to the coroner. Yes, sir, she says, you have the facts, sir, so present them! (This gal's a pistol!) Don't be fresh, darling, says Sam. I'm not being fresh, says Maggie, I'm scared! There's nothing to be scared of, says Patterson. No, she says, then maybe it's not you I'm scared of. Burke Devlin? asks Patterson--don't let that worry you--he talks a lot, but I'm still the law in Collinsport--he checks his watch--and I'd better get back to my job--he leaves. Sam sits at a table. Maggie sits with him, asking what it's all about. I can't tell you, he says. Can't or won't? she asks. I don't know anymore about it than you do, he says. Would I know more if I read that letter you put in the safe? she asks. No, says Sam, the letter has nothing to do with it. It must say something that would help you, she says. Help me? he asks, what are you thinking could help me? Pop, that's what I want to know--what sort of help you do need, she asks. None, he says, the letter was nothing more than my last will and testament, that's why I said it should be opened if anything happened to me--it's my will, leaving you all my worldly possessions. You said it was life insurance for you, she reminds him. That's the same thing, he says, I should have said it's life insurance for you. She goes over to him and puts her hands on his shoulders. You know that I love you, don't you? she asks him. I hope so, he says. Then you don't mind if I don't believe you? she asks. No, I don't mind, he says---no reason why you should (a very touching scene).

Carolyn is seated on the sofa in his suite as Burke relates his version of what happened 10 years ago--something I didn't do--something your uncle was responsible for but for which I went to prison. Carolyn plays with her necklace and shakes her head, saying she just doesn't believe it. No one else did, obviously, says Burke. I mean I don't believe Uncle Roger would do such a thing, she says, sickened.
You don't believe your DEAR UNCLE would allow an innocent man to go to prison for something your DEAR UNCLE was guilty of? asks Burke. I know he wouldn't, says Carolyn--Burke, you said you don't remember--you said you were drunk at the time. My sweet Carolyn, he says--have you ever been drunk enough to...no, of course you haven't--well, I was drunk enough to know very little of what was going on that night--but I do remember I was not driving the car at the time. And you think Uncle Roger... Yes, I think he was driving, says Burke. What would that have to do with Mr. Malloy? wonders Carolyn. He found out, says Burke, and was going to expose the whole thing--that's why he was killed. No! cries Carolyn--I know you're wrong, can't you just forget all about it?--Uncle Roger couldn't...he wouldn't have done anything like that! I don't say he did it out of malice aforethought, says Burke, maybe be went to see Mr. Malloy--maybe they argued, maybe there was a struggle and Malloy fell into the water and drowned--I don't know--but I think your Uncle Roger knows. All right, says Carolyn, I'll ask him. You do that, says Burke--ask him. I wish it didn't have to be this way, she says. This is the way it has to be, he replies, and she leaves his hotel room. He gazes out the window at the main street below.

NOTES: We meet the delightful, righteous, God-fearing Sarah Johnson, who will end up at Collinwood and provide comic relief for us all. She was sad here, vehement; she believes, as Burke does, that Bill was murdered--and I think she has a crush on him, too! I felt sorry for her. Besides Liz, she seemed the only one who cared about his death without an ulterior motive.

So now Carolyn has been told the whole story, and plans to ask her uncle about it. Roger won't tell her the truth anymore than he has told Liz or anyone else. He is determined to save himself, no matter what the cost or how many lives he has to ruin.

Maggie, who had several lovely, touching scenes with her father today, doesn't believe him when he tells her his insurance policy is merely a will. But they love each other, and that's the only important thing. Unlike the Collinses, the Evans understand what's really important in life--but will Sam's liver hold out?

Burke is going ahead with his plans against the Collins family, probably financial ruination. Bad stuff.

So it appears Roger and Sam both had plenty of time to do away with Malloy before the meeting--did they?

Episode #68 - An unexplained death has added more mystery to Widows' Hill and Collinwood, the great, gloomy house on its crest--and it affects everyone in Collinsport--there is always the one question--was it an accidental death?

Roger, jacket slung over his shoulder, strolls across the boardwalk, waves to someone, then enters his office. On the phone, his glasses on, he orders something referred to billing--that's their job, he says--then hangs up. Carolyn comes to visit, and he assures her she isn't disturbing him--he's delighted to see her--and she can tell her mother that she actually caught him working. I'll do that, she promises, kissing his cheek. I...came in town for a reason, she says. Oh, you're not here just to spy on me? he teases, doing paperwork. No, she says--I had a talk with Burke Devlin. He takes off his glasses, looks up and asks her why. I had to, she insists, he was saying terrible things about you--I've sort of defended him, you and Mother were so bitter about him, and he's never been anything but nice to me--I guess I was wrong about him. Burke is a very plausible liar, Roger assures her, he's fooled people much more experienced than you, my dear. I don't know about that, she says, but I do know you were right about Burke's wanting to harm you--any way he could! You sound very serious, he says. I am, she says, Uncle Roger, he actually thinks you killed Bill Malloy. He sits back in his chair, looking especially porcine.

I can't even get angry about it, says Roger--I knew Burke had it in for me, but I didn't know he could be so stupid. You didn't, did you? asks Carolyn--I mean, even accidentally? How could you even ask a thing like that? her uncle asks. I couldn't help worrying, she says. I'm glad you worried, but there was never any need to, Roger assures her--I did NOT kill Bill Malloy--I did not kill him accidentally or any other way. She looks relieved and sits down in a chair in front of him, saying she was sure, but she needed to hear him say it. I'd shout it from the housetops if I thought it would help, says Roger--I suppose Devlin gave you all the gory details how I managed to accomplish this feat when I was somewhere else at the same time. You were somewhere else? asks Carolyn hopefully. Of course, says Roger, I was home, and he knew it very well--did he say how I did this?--did he have some valid reason for me to commit this murder? He said it was because Mr. Malloy discovered something that proved you guilty of the accident Burke was sentenced for, she says. I see, says Roger--I'm not only a murderer, but a perjurer, and a hit and run driver as well!--I'm surprised he didn't add arson and high treason! But why? asks Carolyn, why would he say all these things? My dear child, says Roger, Burke is a man who's been tortured by a conscience for 10 years--he admits he didn't even remember what happened the night of the accident. I know, says Carolyn, he said that--but he also says he's very sure he was not driving that car. He was too drunk to remember anything, insists Roger, I was there, Kitten, I was there, I wasn't drunk--Laura was there--believe me!--it was the most difficult thing in my life--to testify against him on that witness stand--but of course, I had to tell the truth. She smiles. Naturally, she says, rising, and if you need an alibi for...the other night, I'll swear I was home with you. He slides an arm around her and thanks her, but that won't be necessary--our good Miss Winters knows I didn't leave the house until 10 of 11, too late to have accomplished this feat. She straightens his tie, saying in that case, he ought to be a little nicer to Vicki--you've been giving her a rough time at Collinwood. In what way? he asks. You can be one of the most charming men in the world, if you want to, she says.
I never thought about it that way, says Roger--maybe it would be a good idea to charm Miss Winters. Might even be fun, says Carolyn--now I'm going to see if I can have some fun--I'm going to steal Joe away from the Collins factory long enough for lunch. Then I've set your mind at rest, he says, so you don't think old Uncle Roger is a murderer, do you? I think you're wonderful, she says, kissing his cheek, and she blows him another kiss, which he returns, when she leaves. Roger bites his lip, no longer looking happy.

David lies on the floor in the drawing room, looking at Josette's pages in the family history book. When Vicki calls to him, he runs around the sofa and hides. She enters and finds him gone, and picks up the book from the floor. (Her hair is elegantly swept up.) Where are you? she calls--all right, David, come out, come out wherever you are! She smiles. He exits his hiding place behind the drapes and assures her that if he really wanted to hide, she never would have found him. It's still lesson time, she says, reaching out to smooth his hair. He ducks away from her touch and says at school, they had recess (so he DID attend real school). He goes over to sit at the piano, explaining that they used to play stupid games. Was this when you were living in Augusta? She asks. He hits a few sours notes, asking, "When else would it be?" Did you like living there? asks Vicki. No, he says, hitting more discordant notes--my parents were fighting all the time, and it was mainly his fault--he was always picking on her. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, says Vicki. One time I actually thought he was going to kill her! says David. Vicki orders him not to exaggerate so. I'm not, he says, it's the truth--I was in the next room and could hear the whole thing! You shouldn't have been listening, she tells him. You couldn't help it! cries David--you could hear it a block away--breaking furniture, throwing things around--it's a wonder he didn't get arrested. Maybe it just sounded worse than it was, suggests Vicki. Couldn't have, he says. What was it about? asks Vicki. Burke Devlin, replies the boy.

Roger paces his office. His secretary buzzes him--Sheriff Patterson wants to see him. Of course, send him in, instructs Roger. He sits at his desk, biting his lip, puts on his glasses, and takes out a company report, writing busily away, pretending to work. When Patterson enters, he heartily asks him if this is an official visit. Sort of, replies the sheriff. Sit down, invites Roger--has Burke been shooting off his mouth some more? No, as a matter of fact, he's willing to forget the whole thing, says Patterson--he won't prefer charges against Matthew. What's Matthew done? demands Roger. You mean to say you haven't heard about the fracas at the Blue Whale? queries Patterson. Nobody ever bothers to tell me anything, says Roger--what happened? Matthew picked a fight with Devlin, says Patterson. What was it about? asks Roger. I was hoping you could tell me, says the sheriff. This is the first I've heard of it, says Roger. You have no idea why Matthew would want to pick a fight with Devlin? asks Patterson. He didn't like him, I guess, suggests Roger. He and Burke are interested in just one thing--Bill Malloy's murder, says Patterson--Burke has already gone so far as to suggest you killed Malloy. So I've heard, says Roger--this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard him say since he got out of prison. I can't disregard it, says the sheriff. Now I suppose he's accused me of hiring Matthew to stop these accusations, says Roger. No, he didn't say that in so many words, but the thought did occur to me, admits Patterson. I'll tell you one thing, George, says Roger, if I do hire anyone to kill Burke Devlin, it will be someone with more sense than Matthew--I'll pick someone who will complete the job. I think that impresses me about as much as anything you said, Patterson tells him, I'm sorry to have troubled you. No trouble at all, Roger assures him. By the way, did you have anyone in mind? asks the sheriff. In mind for what? asks Roger. If you should choose someone to finish the job for you, says Patterson.
Roger says no, but I rather at the moment prefer doing it myself. That's what I figured, says Patterson, and leaves the office. Roger looks as if he's averted another catastrophe; he walks around his office, shakes his head, and picks up the phone--if anyone needs me urgently, he says, I'll be at home. He leaves the office.

You must be mistaken, Vicki tells David, dropping the history book on the sofa--why would your parents be arguing about Burke Devlin? They weren't arguing, David impatiently explains, they were fighting! That was a long time ago, she says. I was six years old, he says, old enough to remember--it's like it just happened--from the minute I met Burke, I remembered the whole thing! I don't want you to repeat what you just told me, says Vicki, to anyone else--it could make serious trouble for Burke--and you like him, don't you? I sure do, says David with enthusiasm, he's my only friend in the whole world--do you like Burke? Yes I do, she says. Does he like you? asks David. Vicki says you'd have to ask him that--right now, I don't think he thinks very much of me. Why, what did you say? he asks her. I had to say something he didn't like, she says--because it was the truth. So you had to go and make trouble for Burke, accuses David--why couldn't you just keep quiet? Because it could have hurt your father, she says. Who cares? he asks. You don't really mean that, she says. I do, too! he says--you know what you've got?--a big mouth! (Nervy little SOB, but I still feel sorry for him). Don't be rude! she orders. I'm not being rude, it's the truth! he says. David, I'm getting sick and tired of your nonsense! She reaches out for him, and he backs away, ordering her not to touch him--I was wrong before, you ARE a stranger, a stranger trying to make trouble for me and Burke! That's not true, protests Vicki. It is, too, he insists--if Burke hadn't stood up for me, I'd have gotten into a lot of trouble!--that's all you want to do is get me in trouble.
I could help you if you let me, she assures him. A lot of help you are, he says--you try and blame me for trying to kill my father--well I didn't!--I DIDN'T!--and he knocks over a chair, breaking it, probably much the way he saw his father did. Vicki calls his name and David, enraged, wreaks a path of destruction, knocking books off the table. He dashes out of the room and runs smack into his father, who glares at him.

Roger grabs hold of his son and demands to know what's going on. She tried to hurt me! says David. That's not true, says Vicki. How could a girl like Miss Winters hurt a big boy like you? asks Roger. She did! cries David--I knew you'd be on her side. How can I be on anyone's side when I don't know what it's all about? asks Roger. You don't have to--you're always ganging up on me, accuses David--just like in school! He runs off. Vicki calls his name and Roger advises her to let him go and cool off--actually, it was you I wanted to talk to. Whatever you say, she tells him. I was sitting in my office twiddling my thumbs, says Roger, and all of a sudden, a thought occurred to me--I haven't been very fair to you. I haven't complained, she assures him. That was part of my thought--here you are in a strange place, a strange situation, and I haven't done anything at all to make it easier for you--and that's what was bothering me. David comes downstairs and listens from this point on. Roger adds that if he had only met her Halfway, things might have been much more pleasant in their relationship. Mr. Collins, protests Vicki. Don't argue, says Roger, as David creeps closer to the drawing room, I'm the one to blame, not you. I don't think anyone's to blame, says Vicki. I insist, says Roger, as David listens at the half-closed door--as long as I'm being noble about it, at least let me go first class--I must confess that part of the fact was that I never knew how to handle David and I suppose I resented that my sister felt a young girl could succeed where I failed--perhaps you'll let me make it up to you and take you out to dinner one night. Well, says Vicki, beginning to pick up the downed chair. There are some wonderful places along the coast, says Roger, where the lobster is delicious. I've been waiting to have some of that ever since I got up there, she says as they right the chair together. Good, then it's agreed? asks Roger. Agreed, says Vicki, and he asks her to call him Roger--I think it would be nice for David to have some happy people around this place for a change, she says, placing the books back on the table. I don't know what you mean by that, he says, I think we manage, everything considered. Perhaps I shouldn't say this, she says, but I'll do anything I can to try and understand David better--he told me that you and your wife had been arguing. That's nonsense, says Roger--you know how he exaggerates everything. He had one very vivid memory, she explains--he said when he was six years old, that he heard you and your wife fighting--arguing--about Burke Devlin. Well, says Roger, we may have had words occasionally, certainly when she insisted on bringing Devlin into it, the words might have become louder than was prudent--I had no idea that David remembered--he was only a child. He remembers, all right, she says, and it may be the reason for the hostility he shows. Vicki, he says, even if we were old, old friends, I don't think I would go into a long discussion about the troubles that beset Laura and me. I wasn't trying to pry or be nosy, she assures him. Now you reminding me of something I accused you of, he says, I'm afraid you'll have to forgive me, too--I hope your memory isn't as long as David's.
Vicki smiles and says it's completely forgotten--she excuses herself to find David, heading upstairs. He's no where to be seen, but when she enters the landing door, he exits a corner and stands in the foyer, thinking hard.

David sneaks into the drawing room where Roger is drinking and closes the door behind him. Did you know Miss Winters was looking for you? Roger asks his son. Yes, he replies--I thought you were going to call her Vicki. Oh, my, you do have keen ears, don't you? Roger asks gently. I thought you didn't like Miss Winters, says David. There's an old saying, Roger tells him, sitting in a chair--you can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. What's that have to do with Miss Winters? asks David. Nothing, my boy, says Roger kindly, I'm just being nice to her in hopes that in return, she'll be nicer to you! Why should you care? Demands David--you never did before. It was only because I've had so much on my mind, admits Roger--I've treated you badly, and I hope I can make up for it. I didn't say those things about you and Mother, says David. Of course you didn't, says Roger, I didn't believe it for a minute! (What's this?--taking his side, but making Vicki the villain in David's eyes, undermining her?) People are always blaming me for things I never did, says David belligerently. It's because you're small and can't fight back, says Roger. Miss Winters is always making up stories about me, says David. I don't doubt it, Roger assures him, people usually lie when they have inadequacies of their own. What's that supposed to mean? asks David. If a person is at fault, explains Roger, he or she, as the case may be, will lie to cover that fault. That must be what Miss Winters does! says David excitedly--why don't you fire her? Oh but Aunt Elizabeth likes her here, says Roger. What if she did something Aunt Elizabeth didn't like? asks David. I don't see how she could do that, says Roger--she's a paragon of virtue, she can do nothing wrong. But Aunt Elizabeth might THINK she did! says David. Don't tell me about it, says Roger, putting his hand on his son's shoulder--just don't tell me about it.

Carolyn returns home and meets Vicki as she heads upstairs. You look like you just lost your last friend, remarks Vicki. Maybe I have, says Carolyn. It can't be that bad, soothes Vicki. Can't it? asks Carolyn, sitting on the steps, first I quarreled with Burke Devlin, so I figured Joe could cheer me up. Sounds like a good remedy, says Vicki. I wanted him to take me to lunch, but he wasn't at the cannery, complains Carolyn--he had to go on some stupid errand. You're not blaming him for that, aren't you? asks Vicki. He might have known I wanted to see him, pouts Carolyn. Vicki grins and tells Carolyn she's funny. If I'm so funny, why aren't I laughing? asks Carolyn--I'd just as soon never see Joe again--he's such a square! I thought you were going to marry him, says Vicki. You think I'm going to marry him, repeats Carolyn, so does Mother, and Joe--everybody thinks I'm going to marry him--except me. And most of the time you do, too, points out Vicki. This is NOT one of those times, complains Carolyn. The phone rings and Vicki answers--it's Joe--oh, you just got back and got Carolyn's message?--I'll tell her--Carolyn runs downstairs, and Vicki tells Joe to wait a minute--she just got in the door. Carolyn takes the phone and asks Joe if he wants something--dinner?--I'd love it--yes--I do, too. Vicki smiles. Carolyn hangs up and saucily asks Vicki, a girl has a right to change her mind, doesn't she?--I'll go change my dress. She almost skips upstairs. I thought your date was for dinner, says Vicki. I think we'll have dinner in the middle of the day! says Carolyn airily, disappearing upstairs. Vicki heads into the kitchen.

Roger sits beside David in front of the fire, explaining that when all these personal matters are cleared up, you'll find I'm quite a different person, really easy to get along with. It was bad enough before Miss Winters came, says David. I know, says Roger, and I was to blame for that--I haven't paid you much attention--but you'll have to understand it was because of the new job, and new surroundings and suspicious people.. Like Miss Winters! pops up David. Exactly, agrees Roger--I know you don't care very much for me, David, as I said, it was my fault--but if you had a choice, who would you rather be rid of
--me or Miss winters. David considers this. It's a difficult question, isn't it? Roger asks him, but just think it over--if you had your choice, who would it be--me or Miss Winters?

NOTES: WHAT is Roger up to here? He's kind to David for the first time ever, and I was even touched for a few moments, until he ulterior motive popped up! Was he trying to lull David into a false sense of love and security so he can get rid of Vicki without appearing to be to blame? That scene in which he told David to handle it but not tell him about it gave me the creeps. You can tell at this point that David is definitely Roger's kid--they are cut from the same cloth! Roger charms Vicki, too, promising her a lobster dinner, apologizing for his nasty behavior to lull HER into the idea that he wants to be friends, to make up for his past behavior. He convinces Carolyn of his innocence, too, not just in the matter of Burke Devlin's manslaughter trial, but as a suspect in Bill Malloy's murder. He disarmed Sheriff Patterson, too, in this ep. Roger is, to put it mildly, a snake, manipulative and evil--and Edmonds plays him with cool, charming relish!

This was a Roger/Edmonds tour de force, and I absolutely HATE him!

Love, Robin