Author Topic: Semi-OT/....About coming to the Fest in New York....  (Read 5718 times)

Connie

Re:Semi-OT/....About coming to the Fest in New York....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 12:19:11 AM »
Well, if those are "DS nuts" - and notice I only say IF (though the guy who tried to follow MsCriseyde into her hotel room might be a little more than borderline :o) - then the woman who frequently posts DS storyboards here should be in good company. ;)

Well now, SEE?  You made my point.  Takes one to know one.  At the 2001 Fest, I could sense all the weirdos a mile away!

Middle-East fanatics?  HA!  Mere child's play compared to DS fandom.

;D 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2003, 01:11:28 AM »
Middle-East fanatics?  HA!  Mere child's play compared to DS fandom.

;D

I realize you're joking about DS fans being far worse than Middle Eastern fanatics, but please keep in mind that not all readers may realize it or find it amusing, and that arguments have begun among fans over less derogatory characterizations.  There'll soon be an influx here of DS fest newbies that aren't familiar with your sense of humor, and this in light of the recent story about a single incident of violence whose DS angle was played to the hilt by the news organizations.  Most fest vets can tell stories about the DS fans they've encountered that are fanatical about the show.  But I feel that declaring them to be worse than a group with a history of terrorism is offensive, and that the suggestion, even made in jest, that a person's personal safety is any more in jeopardy at a DS Fest than it is anywhere else is inflammatory.

Connie

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2003, 03:19:37 AM »
I feel that declaring them to be worse than a group with a history of terrorism is offensive, and that the suggestion, even made in jest, that a person's personal safety is any more in jeopardy at a DS Fest than it is anywhere else is inflammatory.

Oh my God.  I never in a million years intended to suggest that a person's safety is in jeopardy at a Fest.  It would be the furthest thing from my mind.  That news story awhile back?  Actually, I'd forgotten about it.  Kidding around about "kooky" or "nutty" fans was just that.  Nothing more.  I have a tendency to poke fun -- at DS (which I adore), at people I like, at fans, AND at myself.  A comparison between Mid-east terrorists (who aren't worth thinking about, in my opinion) and DS fans is so blatantly absurd that I really don't know what to say.  I've always been of the opinion that the people on this board are more intelligent than that.  I'm not going to post on here for awhile.  I get the message.  LOL
Maybe I don't belong here.  (Thunderous applause from the smite crowd).

-CLC

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2003, 07:31:26 AM »
Oh my God.  I never in a million years intended to suggest that a person's safety is in jeopardy at a Fest.  It would be the furthest thing from my mind.  That news story awhile back?  Actually, I'd forgotten about it.  Kidding around about "kooky" or "nutty" fans was just that.  Nothing more.  I have a tendency to poke fun -- at DS (which I adore), at people I like, at fans, AND at myself.  A comparison between Mid-east terrorists (who aren't worth thinking about, in my opinion) and DS fans is so blatantly absurd that I really don't know what to say.  I've always been of the opinion that the people on this board are more intelligent than that.  I'm not going to post on here for awhile.  I get the message.  LOL

-CLC

Not trying to get the last word, honest, but I feel you're misreading my message and the intent behind it.  Regardless of whether you think my reasons were absurd for thinking you had gone too far, your comment was made during a discussion that began with a question about whether or not anyone is hesitant to attend the fest for safety reasons.  And I did not say a word about your calling DS fans nutty; all I asked of you was to be mindful of characterizing DS fans as worse than what you referred to as "Middle-East fanatics", and I don't believe that was an unreasonable request.  I certainly never asked you to leave or stop posting.

It's no secret that this is a moderated forum with rules that everyone is asked to read, and it's run by 3 people that are here to work.  Making the statement you did will most likely get you attacked on some unmoderated DS forums, but here it's the moderators' job to help keep the discussions running as smoothly as possible, and if you feel I was being harsh above then I ask you to consider what it's like to walk a mile in our shoes.  The moderators constantly interpret the rules as fairly as we can and try to anticipate problems so they can be dealt with quickly, and believe me, we didn't volunteer for the job to win popularity (wouldn't THAT have been a disappointment?!), the decisions we make aren't personal, and we don't play favorites.  If you didn't feel your comment was inflammatory or offensive, that it might invite others to attack you, or that it might be misinterpreted, then I concede that we don't see eye to eye on it, but my mailbox tells me that I'm not alone in feeling about it as I did and you'll just have to take my word that I've seen fights start in similar situations.  But if anyone feels that it isn't to their liking to have someone suggest that they've gone too far with a comment, then perhaps a moderated forum isn't the place for them.  I don't want you to leave, but I feel everyone has to do what's right for them.

Now, as to the subject of smiting, here's a bit of advice for what it's worth:  In the other forums I visit to read about the various features, it's fairly universal that it's never a good idea to publicly obsess about being smited because it will come back at you.  I'm not talking about the karmic powers of the universe-- I'm talking about an unspoken rule among internet users that you'll get many smites from simply saying there will be many smites.

Take care, and God/dess bless,
M.

Connie

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2003, 11:37:19 AM »
Dear Everybody,  (uh oh - I'm starting to sound like Annie)  :o
If you clicked on this thread looking for a response from me, there isn't one.  Midnite has the last word.
She and I have been misunderstanding each other lately and I'm emailing her privately when I get the chance, to try and clear things up.  If she wants to post any of it, that's up to her.
(Sorry rainey, for messing up the thread).   :-

-Connie

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2003, 12:42:40 PM »
I'm not going to post on here for awhile.  I get the message.  LOL

-CLC

Please don't go away. I always think you're funny and I enjoy reading your posts.  :'(
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2003, 04:34:00 PM »
I'm emailing her privately when I get the chance, to try and clear things up.  If she wants to post any of it, that's up to her.

I'm glad to hear it's being taken off the forum, but please don't look to me to bring it back by posting private correspondence.

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2003, 04:36:36 PM »
Hey Connie, Please don't stop posting here!!

I hoped that the LOL after yer message was that you were joking!!

If you stop posting this place will be even colder than the North right now -  I talked to my dad in Tenn last nite and he said the squirrels up there were had to borrow his blow torch just to keep their nuts warm!

I, however, like a nice warm place.

did I spell squirrels right?

[jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2003, 04:42:50 PM »

If you stop posting this place will be even colder than the North right now -  I talked to my dad in Tenn last nite and he said the squirrels up there were had to borrow his blow torch just to keep their nuts warm!

I, however, like a nice warm place.

did I spell squirrels right?

[jester]
yep you'd would just love it up here right now Ringo brrrrr it's COLD!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2003, 01:04:49 AM »
I have my hotel reserved but have not decided yet for sure. Not anything to do with concerns but I was thinking about doing a really big nice vacation in the next year and might need to save up some money.
I'm thinking (just a thought right now) of doing a London theater tour and of  course there are some Bruce shows coming up soon I may just have to go to.
Of course I would miss everyone terribly if I don't make it this year so we'll just have to see. I say   don't worry about terrorist just party on and have a great time!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2003, 02:58:54 AM »
I'm not at all concerned about traveling to New York or anywhere else in the States.  However, there are only a few places outside the states I would venture these days.

My main concern with going to the fest this year is the dates - Labor day weekend.  What were they thinking?  Plus the hotel seems pricey from what I've heard.  Then I'm concerned about transportation to the hotel from the airport.  It just doesn't seem as convient this year.  I'd be interested to see what actors will be in attendance.

I'm still thinking on going though.

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2003, 06:30:07 PM »
If I get the chance to go to the fest this year I'm certainly not going to let current events drive me away. Besides, the Stepford wives/husbands I work with  :P scare me way more than anything that might or might not happen in 8) NYC!   Eeeeeeh!  :o
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2003, 07:04:53 PM »
If I get the chance to go to the fest this year I'm certainly not going to let current events drive me away. Besides, the Stepford wives/husbands I work with  :P scare me way more than anything that might or might not happen in 8) NYC!   Eeeeeeh!  :o

so you have those at work too! heehee!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2003, 12:40:38 AM »
 ;D I'm more concerned with the traffic on rts. 46 and 3 than I am with security in NY. I usually get there about once a month and have never once felt unsafe. I LOVE NEW YORK!! :-*

Misty

" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2003, 03:48:37 AM »
;D I'm more concerned with the traffic on rts. 46 and 3 than I am with security in NY. I usually get there about once a month and have never once felt unsafe. I LOVE NEW YORK!! :-*

Misty

i agree Misty if i can get there i will!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV