Author Topic: Robservations #815/816  (Read 1321 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations #815/816
« on: February 20, 2003, 10:16:33 PM »
815 - Petofi exultantly tells Aristede--look at the hand--it saved me, as I knew it would.  Aristede is confused.  Do you doubt me word? demands Petofi.  No even for a moment, says Aristede, sucking up big time--but to actually see it!  Petofi shows it to Barnabas--does it seem a trick to you?  No, says Barnabas, overwhelmed by it all.  Nice of you to say it, says Petofi, perhaps you are the gentleman you appeas to be.  Petofi introduces himself to Barnabas: "At your service." Barnabas turns away--I wish I could believe that, he says.  Petofi refers to Barnabas as an ideal companion for such an occasion and tells Aristede, break out the champagne--we will drink and ignore Barnabas, for it has been restored to me--what I have sought through the world for 100 years is mine again, I am whole again.  Now that you are well, is Jamison? questions Barnabas.  No doubt he enjoyed being me, says Petofi--perhaps he, too, will enjoy a miraculous recovery.  I want your word on that, insists Barnabas.  I owe you nothing, says Petofi.  You already have, says Barnabas--I gave you the hand that saved your life...  And for that I owe you thanks, says Petofi.  I want you to honor the agreement I made with Aristede, says Barnabas--I gave him the hand as long as he ensured he was empowered to deal for you.  Aristede enters bearing champagne and glasses.  It seemed the only thing to do at the time, Victor, says Aristede.  If he said he did, says Petofi, I must honor the agreement--what was it?  That you'd cure Quentin and remove the spell on Jamison, says Barnabas--he and Edward will revert back to what they were.  Aeistede takes out a cheroot and lights it in a candle.  Are you going to cure Quentin and Jamison? Barnabas asks Petofi.  Quentin has already been taken care of, says the count.  Barnabas objects--Quentin is the same as he was.  "Is he?" asks Petofi--I have my own methods of doing things, which have caused difficulty, but is the only way for me--when one deals with the unknown, it is exhausting, adds Petofi, sitting down.  I know the reason you refuse to cure Quentin and Jamison, says Barnabas--because the power in that hand is gone now that you have it back.  Indeed? asks Petofi, offering to show Barnabas.  He takes Barnabas' youthful- looking hand in his ugly, re-attached one and grips it hard.  "I take my hand away, there will be marks where my fingers have touched you," says Petofi--"until those marks have disappeared, you will no longer be able to indulge in your favorite trick--for that is what it is--isn't it, Mr. Collins?"--I was jealous when Aristede told me of it.  He releases Barnabas' hand and says, that is all there is to it.  Both Aristede and Petofi laugh.  Try to disappear, suggests Petofi, for our sake, so I know I have some power--after all, you doubted me, now you can test my powers--or are you afraid?  No, says Barnabas, but I will disappear, because I must know what has happened to Jamison.  I am interested in the boy, too, says Petofi.  I will be back no matter what happens, Barnabas assures him, to make sure you live up to your part of the bargain.  Barnabas attempts to dematerialize, but finds he can't.  He's stunned.  The other two men laugh at him.  "Well, Mr Collins," comments Petofi, "you have returned before you disappeared.  Never doubt this," he says, waving the hand in front of him.  "Never!"

Quentin, besieged with questions, checks Jamison's pulse--why hasn't he gotten better?--where's Barnabas?--still with Petofi?--did the hand accomplish nothing?--I must find Barnabas---dare I leave Jamison?--if he wakes, will he be frightened?  Resolutely, he realizes the boy will not wake, and not know if he does--I must find Barnabas before Jamison dies!  He leaves the cottage.

Aristede pours champagne for Petofi.  Join us, Petofi advises Barnabas--then we can discuss the matter like gentlemen.  Barnabas, angry, says, I made the biggest mistake of my life, trusting the two of you.  You judge us too harshly, says Petofi.  Only because he doesn't know us, says Aristede.  "I know you!" says Barnabas.  Quentin clumps downstairs, demanding to know what has happened.  Petofi offers him champagne.  "You're well," says Quentin--but Jamison is in a coma, dying--save him--you must--you possessed him, you can save him!  Can I indeed? asks Petofi--there are some thing I will not ask this hand--he holds it up to show Quentin that he's gotten it back again.  Barnabas looks damned miserable.

Barnabas asks Petofi, why do you even hesitate to save Jamison?  Petofi asks Aristede, should I do it?  I find the child interesting, says Aristede, but perhaps not worth saving.  Quentin reaches for Aristede, intending him harm, but Barnabas grabs his shoulder and stops him.  Petofi, amused, says--he's evil--his instincts are always so much more vicious than my own.  Barnabas asks, is there any humanity in you at all?  Petofi says, if I save the boy, there will be a price.  (Another Angelique?)  Barnabas reminds him, I already paid, by giving you the hand.  The price has changed, says Petofi, I want to discuss it with Barnabas alone.
Quentin asks, does this have anything to do with me?  You're egocentric, comments Petofi--I find it wiser to deal with one person instead of two in matters of importance.  Barnabas urges Quentin to go back to Jamison--I will come to you after I deal with Petofi.  Quentin goes.  Barnabas asks, what's the price?  So much to the point, says Petofi, and we have much to discuss--the future, simply put, we have the future to discuss, yours and mine.  Where will we be in the year 1969?--do you think about that?--I find it fascinating to speculate about that year--or perhaps you know too well?  I don't understand, says Barnabas.  Aristede, show him the book, orders Petofi.  Aristede brings over the Collins family history, published in 1965.  Barnabas admits, I know the book, and I do come from another time, but what does this have to do with what you want?  Petofi says, my price for saving the Collinses is a trip to the year you left--a journey into the future.  Why? asks Barn.  Now that my hand is back where it belongs, says Petofi, do you think the gypsies will simply forget it?--no, they will be more determined than ever to take it as they did before--I know them, and if I went to the future, they would have all those years before they could catch up with me--80 years of peace!  With all your powers, asks Barnabas, why do you still fear the gypsies?  There is no need for you to know, says Petofi, will you pay my price?  I can't take you to 1969, says Barnabas--I don't know how to get there myself, my reason for coming was vital, and I intend to TRY to return.  We will try together, insists Petofi.  This isn't a carriage ride, explains Barnabas--I don't understand how I got here, no formula written down, I simply used my concentration--with all your powers, adds Barnabas, surely you can figure out a quicker and smoother way.  Petofi offers to show Barnabas "Why you should return to your own time while you can--I can show you, using my psychic powers, the end!  Petofi opens the doors of a cupboard and tells Barnabas to look into it--"What do you see?" asks Petofi--"Soon you will see your own death!"
We see Barnabas' portrait hanging over the mantel in the Old House.  Julia Hoffman sits in one of his chairs, reading a book (yeahhhhh Julia!)  David comes downstairs, barely able to hold onto the handrail, calling Quentin.  Julia goes to him--why are you out of bed? she asks.  I must go to Quentin, says David--he needs me, please let me go!  Julia shakes her head--Quentin does not need you.  I can hear him calling to me! protests David.  Fight, reject him, urges Julia--you must!  No, says David.  She leads him to the chair she was sitting in. Reject him, begs Julia.  No! David cries, and passes out.  She goes to her doctor's bag, takes out a hypo and injects it into David's arm.  She calls his name.  He awakens and begs to see Quentin, then passes out again.  Julia looks at the boy, watching him.  Barnabas, highly agitated, asks Petofi, is David dying?  Petofi just looks at him.

"David dying?" asks Petofi--I don't seem to know the name.  Barnabas reminds him, you caused that vision to happen, you have that power--I must know.  "You saw your own death, Mr. Collins," says Petofi.  Now Barnabas is puzzled--I didn't see what you did, I didn't see what you caused, says Barnabas.  "How can you be sure?" asks Petofi.  "Who was in it?" asks Barnabas.  "David," answers Petofi.  Who else? queries Barn.  I did not recognize the others, says Petofi.  There was one other, says Barnabas--what was the name mentioned, what name do you know?  "Yours, I presume," says Petofi nervously.  Barnabas smiles and says, "Your powers do have their limits, don't they?"  Annoyed, Petofi retorts, "Obviously, Mr. Collins, I shan't be dependent on you to take me to a distant time!"--you haven't given me the answer, says Petofi, the one answer--I think we must give you a little more time.  Obviously, says Aristede.  Time to overcome his scruples, says Petofi--time to watch the Collins family disintegrate--I suggest you leave--it's nearly dawn and you have much to reflect on.  You need time, too, says Barnabas, to realize I have told you the truth, and if there were some way to accomplish what you want, I'd be forced to do it, but there is not.  We shall see, says Petofi.  Barnabas leaves the mill.  Petofi calls Barnabas most unusual.  Perhaps he was telling the truth, says Aristede, and can't return to his own time.  No, says Petofi, Barnabas thinks he can win--accomplish whatever he came to do here and disappear without me--I will do something I learned from Lord Kitchener--when the first plan of battle fails, then launch the second immediately.

Magda waits at the Old House.  She witnesses Petofi and Aristede entering the room through the double doors along the back wall.  Scared, she asks how they got in.  Aristede is very clever at finding secret tunnels, says Petofi, with the instincts of a mole.  She refuses to help them.  I think you will, says Petofi, who holds up his arm and shows her his hand--perhaps your master didn't have time to tell you about it.
She gasps in horror.  You'll help us whether you want to or not says Petofi proudly.

Dawn - Magda leads Petofi and Aristede into an unused wing of the family mansion.  There's a coffin there, apparently Barnabas' new hiding place.  "We can learn from Mr. Collins," says Petofi--this is an ingenious move on his part.  Yes, you can, agrees Magda.  Aristede takes out a length of chain.  Silence! Petofi orders Magda--I am the only one who can speak.  Open the coffin, Aristede, orders Petofi.  Aristede does so.  Barnabas lies inside.  Petofi takes a gold cross, says, "I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle, Mr. Collins," and places it on Barnabas' chest.  Aristede closes the coffin.  "Chain him," orders Petofi, "chain him securely for his long..." (I could not make out the remainder of Petofi's statement; between the chain and the music, it was muffled).
Aristede puts a padlock on the chain, locking Barnabas away much as his father once did...

NOTES:  I always wondered why Barnabas didn't want to tell Petofi about I-Ching, unless he feared that the old man would go wreak havoc on his 1969 family and he'd never be rid of him.  It's a big world, surely Petofi could have found his own niche in it.  One also wonders just how Petofi has cured Quentin, but we will shortly see this play itself out.

Now we have both Jamison and David in deadly peril, and if the former dies, the latter won't even be born, technically, or anyone else in-between!  Oh, those time paradoxes do give one a headache!

Wonderful performances all around today.  Loved the interplay between Petofi and Aristede over making it impossible for Barnabas to disappear.  This is going to prove to be a huge problem soon, bigger even than the one he's got now!  Poor Barnabas, locked in a coffin with a cross keeping him imprisoned.  Must bring back some awful flashbacks to when his father and Ben did something similar.

You WOULD think that Petofi could transcend time and space, with his talents, wouldn't you?  And what's that weird business about the vision he showed Barnabas--why DIDN'T he realize that what he showed Barnabas didn't jive with what he thought he showed Barnabas?

816 - Aristede finishes locking Barnabas in his coffin.  Petofi exults that they can give Barnabas more attention at the mill than they could in the west wing of Collinwood.  Barnabas will be surprised to find himself here when he wakes, says Aristede.  I don't think so, says Petofi, putting his right hand on the coffin; Barnabas and I have been at war for sometime, this is one more battle in this war--the last one--it will go on until Barnabas gives me what I want.  It will be difficult to get the vampire to give up his mission in this time, says Aristede.  Difficult, admits Petofi, but he assures him, I shall do it--military strategy, doing what it takes to win any crucial battle--increase the pressure and increase the enemy's discomfort until he can stand it no longer.  Petofi balls up his fist--until he has no choice but to surrender.  Aristede asks, how will you increase the pressure?  Thus far, says Petofi, only those whom Barnabas cares for in this century have suffered--now I shall attack from the other side, hit him from both directions and catch him in pinchers from which he can't escape until he gives me what I want.  Now I will start working on those Barnabas loves in 1969.  Aristede points out, you cannot see that time; how will you know who those people are?  Barnabas mentioned one name with whom I can begin, says Petofi, and realize he must return to his own time, and take me along--David Collins, of course.  Petofi grins in triumph.

Aristede asks how he is going to use David.  Fist still clenched, Petofi tells Aristede to put out the lights, because darkness must call to darkness.   Aristede complies, and a weird green light covers Petofi as he says, "Jamison Collins, your spirit is still under my control.  I command it to enter into the darkness of the yet to be born, and welcome the form, feelings and knowledge of one who lives in a future time.  I command it no matter what the cost, no matter what the pain."

Jamison lies on the sofa at Collinwood.  He awakens with a terrified cry.  Nora runs to his side.  Quentin, get Quentin he cries.  She's afraid to leave him alone, but he assures her it's all right.  As she's running out, he asks her where she's going.  Puzzled, she says, I'm going to get Quentin.  Call him on the phone like we always, do, Amy! he cries.  She's shocked at the name he called her, and asks, why are you looking at me so strangely?--something's very wrong!  Jamison says, don't play tricks on me--Amy.  Your name is David, I know that, she says.  Amy leaves to get Q or Beth, but David insists she use the telephone.  Here's right in the house, she says.  Jamison says, I know that--everyone else is away, Quentin drove away Liz and Roger.
Nora wonders what the heck he's talking about.  He shakes her by the arm and says, "Call him!"  Nora runs away.  "AMY!" cries Jamison, who, very weak, picks up the phone and calls to Quentin.  He loses his strength.  Quentin comes running in; Jamison is happy to see him.  He asks Q, why is Amy back in the house?  Amy? asks Quentin.  He thinks he's David and I'm Amy, reports Nora.  "David Collins?" asks Quentin.  Jamison asks, why is she back in the house?--is everyone else back, too?--Aunt Liz and Carolyn?--he doesn't want that.  Quentin encourages him to lie down and sends Nora to her room.  She turns and asks, who is David Collins?  I don't know, admits Quentin.  Nora runs along.  Quentin calls to Jamison, but gets no response.  David, asks Quentin, do you know me?  Yes, says Jamison, you're Quentin.  How do you know me?  demands Q, but Jamison is asleep and doesn't respond.  Quentin looks at him, perturbed.

Nora tells her Raggedy Ann doll, Jamison didn't mean to frighten me, I know that.  He's been sick, and when people are sick, they sometimes get mixed up.  Tim knocks at her door.  She's glad to see him.  He asks what's wrong.  I was trying to explain to my doll, explains Nora, who didn't understand--Jamison's been acting strangely--he scared me, but I don't think he meant it--you must have come back for your package, the one with the pretty box in it.  Oh, oh, Tim realizes, alarmed--she opened the cardboard box.  Nora assures him, I didn't see what was inside the pretty box--I couldn't open it.  Grateful she didn't see the contents, Tim says, you shouldn't have opened the box.  Don't be angry at me, she says.
He asks for the box back.   Jamison has it, she says.  He grabs her by the shoulders and yells in her face, "AFTER EVERYHTING I TOLD YOU, YOU GAVE THAT BOX TO JAMISON???"  She gazes at him, open-mouthed, and says, Jamison took it, he made me do it--he forced me!  Did he say anything about what was in the box? asks Tim, then answers himself--he couldn't have done it.  He just took it, says Nora miserably; he's been acting so strangely these past few days.  Witnessing the awful look that comes over Tim's face, Nora apologizes and begins to cry into her hands.  Stop it, orders Tim, unsympathetic.  I didn't mean to cause trouble for you, she cries.  I know that, says Tim, but I must get back that box back from Jamison.  He's downstairs, says Nora--sick.  Tim muses her words--Jamison hasn't been acting himself, he's been sick, strange--oh, no, he couldn't have opened. . .he wouldn't have used. . .he wouldn't dare!  Tim's eyes fill with terror at the very thought.

Jamison lies asleep on the sofa in the drawing room, Quentin sitting beside him.  Tim runs downstairs, nearly tripping his haste, and bangs at the closed double doors.  He tells Q, I must see Jamison--wake him up!  He's not well, protests Q.  Tim insists, I must talk to the boy.  Quentin notes this startling change in the formerly affable Tim, who is suddenly giving orders.  Tim says, I simply want to speak to "the young whippersnapper."  You can't, says Quentin-- Jamison doesn't have the hand, anyway.  Did he give it to you? asks Tim--who has that hand?  Amused, Quentin suggests, stop demanding things, now that you don't have anything to back you up.  I intend to get the hand, insists Tim.  Quentin offers him a wager on that--I could use some of your newfound fortune--or perhaps the winner could have an evening with the very beautiful young lady I saw you with at the Inn?--I want to know more--why has she come to Collinwood?--I don't know what you're up to, but I don't think I like it.  None of your business, retorts Tim--I'll thank you to tell me if you know where the hand is.  Sure, says Q, I'll tell you where you can find it--go to the abandoned mill at the end of North Road--Aristede is there--he can lead you right to the person who does have the hand.  Without another word, Tim flees the house.  Quentin smiles.  He goes back into the drawing room.  Jamison awakens and smiles at him, asking, was I sleeping long?  Quite a long time, says Q.  That's how I always thought it would go, says Jamison, I've been waiting such a long time, but now it's finally happened--you said I wouldn't be frightened, and I'm not, just as long as you're here with me.  What are you talking about? asks Quentin.  You told me, says Jamison, that we would be together forever, now that I'm dead, like you.  But you're not dead, objects Quentin, and neither am I--please, listen!  Jamison has fallen asleep again.  Quentin wonders what's happening to him--Barnabas can help me; he's got to.  He closes his eyes and calls to Barnabas--in this dark hour, I know you can hear me, I know you can come to me, so wherever you are, please come to me, and Jamison--we need you desperately.  Barnabas, can you hear me?  Barnabas!

Mill - Aristede comes into the main room and finds Tim pointing a gun at him.  I've come for the hand, says Tim--I'm going to kill you unless you tell me where the hand is.  You can't have it back, says Aristede.  I'm getting it back, insists Tim, or you die!--I should kill you just for the way you treated Amanda, you deserve to die.  We see Petofi's large shadow on the wall as Aristede asks Tim, what do you get then--me dead, but no hand!--you'll never get the hand.  Won't I? asks Tim--I will if I must turn this place inside out!  Petofi appears and tells Tim, I can't allow you to do that.  Who are you? demands Tim, aiming the gun at him.  I've grown found of this place, palace or not, says Petofi--I'd hate to see it torn apart by your misguided treasure hunt.  How do you know me? Tim asks.  I make it my business to know anyone who crosses the path of the hand of Count Petofi, says the latter.  Are you connected with him? asks Tim.  You could say that, says Petofi, both men grinning at Tim.  Plenty of bullets in the gun for both of you, says Tim, I suggest one of you tell me where the hand is.  You're mistaken, says Petofi--there aren't enough bullets in your gun for me--a man who's lived for 150 years isn't easy to kill.  Tim chuckles at this boast.  Petofi says, I've spent 100 of those years traveling from one end of the earth to the other searching for one thing, which I've found--you can't have the hand, no one can--"It's mine!  It's mine again!"
He holds up the newly-reattached hand.  Tim's lips press together in fury.

You can't be Count Petofi, says Tim.  I am, says Petofi--come, now, Mr. Shaw, surely you've had the hand long enough to know some of the things you can do.  Petofi takes out a cigar.  Long enough so that expression of fear and surprise should be missing from your face.  Tim brandishes the gun, saying even the hand itself can't re-attach itself.  Why? asks Petofi, because it defies what you know of the world?  Petofi lights his cigar and says, your knowledge of the world is limited to your own moment in time--the hand is mine again and will remain so no matter who tries to take it from me.  I find this all rather difficult to believe, says Tim.  Then pretend it was a dream, advises Petofi, and the world is as it was before you fell asleep and imagined the magic hand and the fact that it has brought no evil--though good can turn to evil--the hand has made you a happy man.  No, says Tim, not happy at all, I won't be happy until I take revenge on two people who did me a most terrible injustice--Trask and Evan Hanley.  Petofi congratulates him on his choice of enemies.  Tim smiles--perhaps you'd be willing to help me wreak my revenge.  "I rarely do anything without a price," says Petofi.  Oh, says Tim, that's all right, he have plenty of money.  And a beautiful and devoted young lady, says Petofi--and neither of your assets is of the least interest to me--who knows, that may change--when one has lived 150 years, one has seen them change a good deal--good afternoon, Mr., Shaw--"We may meet again."  Tim leaves, infuriated.  Petofi is quite amused.  Aristede is pissed.  He just tried to kill me, complains Aristede, and you let him walk out of here!  You're being childish, says Petofi--haven't you realized the thrill in danger, the excitement of a gun in your ribs, the knowledge that you're only a few seconds from extinction?--I envy you the pleasure of almost dying.  He takes a puff on his cigar and orders Aristede out--two visitors are almost here--you'll see who they are on your way out.  Peeved, Aristede says, I'm going to the Blue Whale for a drink.  Have one for me, Aristede, suggests the Count, grinning.  Aristede goes.  "And if you happen to see a particularly beautiful young lady, adds Petofi, tell her that the Count Petofi sends his compliments."  He goes into the room and touches the coffin where Barnabas is imprisoned, then goes into the other room.  Quentin, carrying Jamison, comes in and says, "He's dying."  He places him on the sofa.  "Why bring him here then?" asks Petofi.  Take him to a doctor.  That will do no good, says Q, he's been possessed!  Really? asks Petofi.  An alien spirit controls him, says Q desperately, and he'll die unless you do something!  Do you know whose it is? asks the Count.  David Collins, answers Q.  Petofi asks, is he an ancestor from the past?  I'm not sure, says Quentin.  Have you heard the name before? asks Petofi.  Jamison had a dream about David Collins, says Q--he told it to Barnabas, who explained it away, saying David Collins didn't exist.  He must exist in some time, suggests Petofi, otherwise, he couldn't be possessing the boy now.  "I don't know!" cries Quentin, all I know is, you must do something to save him or he'll die!  Again, Petofi, asks, "I?"  Yes, says Q, you owe it to him, and I know you can.  Petofi finds this interesting and presumptuous idea.  Why that? asks Q, he did your work for you when you were too weak to look for the hand yourself--surely you owe him something for that.  Petofi walks away from him and says, "What I wanted, I took; I owe the boy nothing."  All right, says Q--I apologize for thinking there were any human feelings in your heart.  How very human you are, says Petofi, I find it extraordinary, the question is, do I find it extraordinary enough to save the boy?  Do you? demands Q.  To be brutally frank, says Petofi, I don't know.  Jamison calls to Quentin, who immediately rushes to his side.  The Quentin he's calling for, says Petofi--is that you?--how can that be?--you told me he was possessed by a David Collins who lived in the year 1969.
He is, completely, says Q.  "Yet that David Collins calls for YOU?" demands Petofi.  Even Quentin takes pause at THAT question.

NOTES:  So is Petofi drawing any interesting conclusions here?  Will he put things together and figure it all out--that Barnabas and David are from the future and know each other?

Poor Tim, he had wealth and God knows how much more in his hands and lost it because he made the wrong decision.  He should have known nothing good happens at Collinwood.  Poor Nora felt so awful, and he made her feel worse.

Love Robin