Author Topic: Some Baby!!  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Some Baby!!
« on: February 16, 2003, 12:26:39 PM »
It struck me funny yesterday when we finally got a glimpse of Quentin's child in the cradle at Mrs.Filmore's. Watching Jenny pick up the child and cuddle her in her arms reminded me of when a mother brings her newborn infant home from the hospital!  And yet, that child is suppose to be far from being a "newborn."

Also when the little boy died Magda was telling Barnabas & Quentin how Mrs.Filmore had told her that he (the baby) was playing fine in the nursery right before he died!   I somehow can't imagine a baby that little  "playing" anywhere, let alone a nursery!  Couldn't they at least have gotten a bigger "doll" to at least make it appear more realistic?!
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

Re: Some Baby!!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 12:50:18 PM »
Couldn't they at least have gotten a bigger "doll" to at least make it appear more realistic?!

My thoughts exactly.  They could have at least put SOMETHING in the blanket to make it look more realistic.  We never DO know how old those babies were supposed to be, do we?  Many is the time I wonder if they had anyone in charge of story continuity on the show.

Ya know something I noticed on Friday?  When Quentin is first shown sleeping on the sofa, there's a table next to him with a glass, an empty bottle, and an ashtray.  Then when Nora comes in and finds Edward choking him, Quentin rolls off the sofa and heads for the fireplace, and the table seems to be gone.   [hdscrt]

I wish I hadn't started noticing these things.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 03:21:04 PM »
It struck me funny yesterday when we finally got a glimpse of Quentin's child in the cradle at Mrs.Filmore's. Watching Jenny pick up the child and cuddle her in her arms reminded me of when a mother brings her newborn infant home from the hospital!  And yet, that child is suppose to be far from being a "newborn."

Also when the little boy died Magda was telling Barnabas & Quentin how Mrs.Filmore had told her that he (the baby) was playing fine in the nursery right before he died!   I somehow can't imagine a baby that little  "playing" anywhere, let alone a nursery!  Couldn't they at least have gotten a bigger "doll" to at least make it appear more realistic?!

Soap opera kids have always seemingly aged in odd and funny ways, even to this day.  One month they're just newborns or toddlers, and within six months they're teenagers.  So I guess we can forgive DS for doing an aging reversal to make things more pertinent to the story line (or just because they didn't wanna bother with having to bring a very small child onto the set).  In the world of "daytime dramas", a show doesn't even hafta be about the supernatural in order for characters to age erratically - it simply hasta move the story along in the most efficient way possible.  Even prime-time can be afflicted with kids who apparently don't follow the rules of physics and the laws of nature.  Remember "Rhoda" when it first premiered?  When she met and planned on marrying Joe, he had kids from a previous marriage.  Then, suddenly, they were gone and no mention of them ever having existed was made.  Now that's creepy.  (And don't forget how Tiger the dog and Fluffy the cat just off and vanished from "The Brady Bunch".  TV - the Bermuda Triangle of characterization.)

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 03:49:20 PM »
Hello, Cassandara i know my thoughts exactly
on that it makes one wonder!!! [wavey]
[wavey]  Hey Connie that scene where The Q-man
rolls off the sofa and that moaning he did OH
MY HOW YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I won't got there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                           Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 04:13:36 PM »
DARK SHADOWS never used real babies, which is why I start to refer to these "kids" as Blanket Baby.  I figure that Lenore is probably at least a year old by now, but it seems so much more poignant to think a tiny baby is in danger as opposed to an older child.

Blanket Baby really comes into his/her own in the Leviathan storyline.

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 04:31:10 PM »
I just luv dem blanket-babies!  Where would TV be without them?  Of course, they work better with the canned, recorded sounds of crying, goo-gooing and other sundry forms of neonatal communication.  Carol Burnett did it best wid dem blanket babies in the "As the Stomach Turns" sketches when she would simply drop them into the umbrella stand.  I could see Magda doing that with Blanket Baby Lenore, holding the little tyke and getting into such a heated conversation with Quentin that she simply stuffs it into the speaker of the grammaphone.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 10:26:21 PM »
Couldn't they at least have gotten a bigger "doll" to at least make it appear more realistic?!

Speaking of dolls, very soon we'll to see one that wasn't invented for another 20 years.  Sloppy!

Connie

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 12:27:20 AM »
Raggedy Ann?

Connie

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 07:15:26 AM »
Hey Connie that scene where The Q-man
rolls off the sofa and that moaning he did OH
MY HOW YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes indeedy.  A divine revelation to be sure!  LOL

8)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 07:29:06 AM »
Raggedy Ann?

I do believe you're correct. Scary that I can remember that.

The set details are killers. That absolutely godawful, hideous, pink lamp last seen in Evan's home is apparently making the rounds at Collinwood and the Old House as well . . .
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga