Author Topic: #0065/0066: Robservations 07/03/01: Showdown!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0065/0066: Robservations 07/03/01: Showdown!
« on: July 02, 2001, 07:53:27 PM »
Episode #65 - Another touch of blackness has been added to the dark shadows that fill the halls of Collinwood--a shocking death has brought the past alive, carrying it to the doors of the great mansion on Widows' Hill.

What do you want? Liz asks Burke. Your brother, he says, walking past her--where is he? I don't recall asking you to come in, she says. Where is he? demands Burke--hiding in the basement?--upstairs?--he goes up a few steps. Liz tells him she wants him to leave her house. Not until I've seen Roger, he says. He's not here--will you please leave? she says. When do you expect him home? asks Burke. I don't know, says Liz--please go. I did not force my way in here, he says, and I am not going to leave--you opened the door and I came in, and I'm going to stay here until Roger gets back!--and he strikes into the drawing room and stares at her defiantly.

Liz enters the drawing room and asks Mr. Devlin exactly what he thinks he's doing. I see we're getting formal now, he notes, gazing at a portrait--what's the matter, have I trampled on your poise? You're a very rude young man, says Liz. I am when I have to be, says Burke, gesturing to the portrait near the piano, you see, I didn't grow up with these, Mrs. Stoddard, I learned my manners in a waterfront shack. I want you to leave this house, says Liz. What's the matter, asks Burke, you couldn't find your handyman to have him throw me out of here? What do you want? she asks. Roger, he replies. I told you, I didn't know when he'd be back, says Liz. My old man wasn't such a big shot around this town as yours was, says Burke--he didn't own the Collins fishing fleet--all he could manage was repairing lobster pots for a living--but he told me one thing I never forgot--if you ever want anything bad enough in this life, you have to wait for it--so you go right ahead with what you were doing--I'll sit over here and wait! He sits on the sofa. Liz asks why he wants to see Roger? Don't you have some knitting or gardening to do? asks Burke. (Chauvinist!) This is not your waterfront shack, says Liz severely, this is my home, and I will not be spoken to in that manner! What do you want me to say--bow and scrape and say I'm happy to be here in the castle on the hill? Asks Burke--let me tell you something--I could buy this place 20 times over and never feel it! You'd do better to invest your money in learning the rudiments of common courtesy! Says Liz, now I want an answer--why do you want to see Roger? Why is your plant manager dead? asks Burke. Bill Malloy drowned, says Liz. At a most convenient time, says Burke. Bill's death had no connection with Roger and you know it! says Liz angrily. Burke tells her he's always admired this room--it has a grandeur that's quite marvelous. Bill's death was an accident, insists Liz, and that's exactly what the coroner's verdict will be. The Collins name can accomplish a great many things in this town, says Burke, but not everything. There's no point in your seeing Roger and you know it! says Liz. You wouldn't be nervous about this, would you? asks Burke. What do you hope to accomplish? Demands Liz. I'll know more about that when Roger gets back, says Burke. I want an answer, says Liz. Burke grins--this chest is over 200 years old, isn't it?--a handsome piece, he says--what would you want for it? I will not permit you to stay in this room and wait for Roger until I know what you intend to do, says Liz. Are we back to the handyman again? asks Burke. Oh, no, I can do much better than that, says Liz--the sheriff called me this evening, he said you might try something like this. I see, I'm the dangerous man in this town, says Burke--the destroyer of the peace and calm. The sheriff told me to call him if you came up here, warns Liz.
I intend to wait for Roger, talk to him, not you, says Burke, and after we talked, then you and Roger can tell all the stories and make all the lectures you want to--so you go right ahead and call the sheriff, because I'm not leaving! Liz goes to the phone, looks at Burke, picks it up, puts it back in the cradle. All right, Burke, she says--we'll settle this--we'll BOTH wait for Roger.

Roger is on the phone at the Blue Whale, calling Maggie, asking for her father--I have no desire to discuss Burke Devlin or anyone with you--I merely want to know where your father is--well do you know where...? Sam has just enters the bar, and Roger spots him. He says never mind, thanks her very much, and hangs up. He goes over to the bar, where Sam sits on a stool, and greets him by his last name. Sam orders a double. Let's sit over at the table, suggests Roger, but Sam says he's happy where he is. I'm not interested in your state of mind, says Roger--let's sit at the table and discuss mine. Sam reluctantly sits down at a table with him.

I've been looking for you for quite some time, says Roger--you're an elusive man. Obviously not quite elusive enough, says Sam. Have you a reason for wanting to avoid me? asks Roger. Yes, says Sam, there are times in a man's life when he wants to be with friends--or no one at all. The sheriff talked to you today about Malloy, didn't he? asks Roger. You know he did, says Sam. Why didn't you call me? asks Roger. I didn't know I was under instructions to report every conversation with the sheriff to you. He drinks. Don't start getting smart with me, says Roger--what did you say to the sheriff? What we agreed, Sam assures him. I want to know exactly what you said to him, Roger orders. Am I to recite my catechism now? asks Sam. What did you SAY to him? demands Roger, grabbing Sam's arm and making him drop his glass on the table. Look what you did! Shouts Sam. You can buy another drink, you can't buy another life, says Roger (how profound!)--now what did you say to the sheriff? I told him, says Sam, I had no idea why Malloy wanted the three of us to meet him at his office the day he died--he asked me if it had anything to do with Burke's manslaughter conviction; I told him I didn't know how I could unless it had no connection with Burke's trial--that, Collins, was my speech--I made it, beautifully--now order me another drink. What speech did you make to Burke? asks Roger--he was at your house tonight. What did you do--bug the clam chowder? Asks Sam. Miss Winters was there when he arrived, says Roger--what did he want? Dinner, says Sam--and I want another drink. Roger grabs his arm--why did he come there? he demands. Because he thought I killed Bill Malloy, says Sam, ordering another double and telling the bartender to put it on Roger's bill--Burke's on the warpath, after your hide. Nothing new, says Roger. Malloy's dead, that's new, points out Sam. I had nothing to do with Malloy's death, insists Roger, he was an old friend of the family, don't forget that. Sam laughs as the bartender puts down his drink, calling Roger funny--your brightened my night after all--"friend of the family." There's nothing funny in that, says Roger. Oh, but there is, says Sam--you know it and I know it--the only time he was a friend of you was when he very conveniently died. Roger looks sad and speculative.

Liz exits the kitchen area and reaches for the foyer phone, then changes her mind. She finds Burke looking out the window and tells him the view is much better in the daytime. He asks her if she reached him. I beg your pardon? she asks. The sheriff--isn't that who you were going to call? asks Burke. I had no intention of calling the sheriff, says Liz, I went to put the tea kettle on--unless you'd prefer a drink--the liquor is over there--she gestures. No thank you, says Burke. Then sit and wait for tea, she says cordially, sitting on the sofa--why don't you sit down, you'll be more comfortable. I will stand, he says. There's no need to be nervous, she assures him. You're worried about me being nervous? he asks. You did say you wanted to get this matter settled, didn't you, asks Liz, and I think we will, as soon as Roger gets home--in the meantime, I think it would be nice if you sat down and we had a little chat, don't you think? I'll discuss this with Roger only, says Burke. I had no intention of "discussing this," as you put it, she says, tell me--have you noticed any changes in Collinsport since you left--Roger, I do wish you'd sit down, after all, you are a guest, I mean Burke--please, you're a guest in my house and I'd like you to be comfortable! I am not a guest in your house, he says, but sits anyway. I understand a lot of new buildings have gone up in the past 10 years, says Liz. Mrs. Stoddard! he says. Does this still seem like a small town to you? she asks, I suppose it does, because you've traveled all over the world, haven't you? Yes, yes, I have, he says impatiently, is this making conversation, is that what the name of this game is? This is no game, she says, I'm really interested, after all, I've known you since you were a young boy. Vicki enters the room, surprised, and apologizes for interrupting. Both Liz and Burke stand. You know Burke Devlin, don't you? asks Liz. Yes, hello, Burke, says Vicki formally. Vicki, says Burke. Why don't you stay and entertain Burke while I get the tea, suggests Liz--I'll only be a moment. She leaves. Uh--it's all right, says Burke. What are you doing here? asks Vicki. I'm not exactly sure--I think I'm having tea, says Burke, baffled.

Burke stands in the drawing room doorway and feels the stone. Vicki reminds him that the last time she saw him, he wasn't exactly planning a social tea at Collinwood. No, I wasn't, he says. Why did you come here? she asks. Are you concerned for me or them? he asks resentfully. At the Evans house, you said some pretty dreadful things about Roger Collins, she says. True things, he says. Is that why you came here, to accuse him of being involved in Bill Malloy's death? asks Vicki. He grins. You were asked to entertain me, not question me, she says. I suppose it's none of my business, she says. It should be, he tells her--do you remember how many times I told you to leave here--go home to New York?--there's no sense in you getting involved in any of this. What are you going to do? she asks. Reach the end of a road, he says, erase my debts, settle my accounts--I waited 10 years for this! But Mrs. Stoddard, doesn't she know? asks Vicki. She knows, he says, I almost wish...tell me, Vicki, how is David? Fine, she says. Nice kid, I like him, says Burke. Then why don't you think about him? asks Vicki--after all, Roger Collins is his father. Don't! he says--don't let yourself get involved--you can change nothing and you might get hurt--and that wasn't part of my plan--it also wasn't part of my plan to bust up your dinner party at Maggie Evans. That's not important now, she says. Perhaps not, he says, but there are times I do wish these pressures weren't here--so we could sit and have a nice, quiet dinner, simply talk. About Collinwood? she asks. Certainly not! he says, there are other things in this world beside this dark house
--there are people and places!--excitements--and nothing to do with Widows' Hill. Then why can't you settle for that? asks Vicki. I wish I could, he replies, God help me, I wish I could.

There's no other way to do it, says Sam--after I'd run out on Burke at the house, I knew I had to settle it--go back to the hotel and talk to him. About me? asks Roger. No, about me, says Sam--don't worry, I denied any knowledge of whether he was guilty or innocent of the manslaughter charge. Then why did you go at all? asks Roger. Because I knew why he'd come to my house, says Sam--he's determined to find the man who killed Malloy--I had to convince him I was innocent. And did you? asks Roger. I think so, yes, he says, sipping his drink--and now you're next on his list. I see, says Roger. Collins, I didn't kill the man, I don't even know that he was murdered, says Sam. Don't you? asks Roger--tell me, why do you get such a special delight in letting me know, as you put it, that I'm next on Burke's list. Just informing you, nothing more, says Sam. Remember, whatever happens to me happens to you, says Roger--your punishment may be lighter, but you're older than I am--the sum total may precisely be the same. Sam takes another sip and reminds Roger that he had more reason to kill Malloy than he, Sam, did. I'm not talking about him, says Roger, but 10 years ago--you found it amusing to remind me that Malloy's death was a blessing to me--I'm not denying that it was--but that blessing can become ashes--if questions continue to be asked. Don't you think I've thought enough about that? asks Sam. Then don't enjoy the anticipation too much of Burke coming to see me, says Roger, because if he does learn anything, from any source, you can be sure that you will be involved as well as I. Roger rises. Wait, says Sam, standing, too, I've been thinking--sometime ago, you said you wanted to help me out--said you'd give me some money--I didn't take it then because...I think you're right, there's going to be questions and it may be better if I wasn't around. I'm sorry, says Roger, I've withdrawn the offer. I wouldn't need much, says Sam, just enough to get me and Maggie to another town. Why the sudden change of heart? Asks Roger, at the time I made the offer, you were quite indignant, you refused to run. It's like you said, there'll be questions, says Sam. About Burke's manslaughter trial? asks Roger--or are you concerned about Malloy's death? I told you I had nothing to do with that! shouts Sam. I know, says Roger, and you told me you convinced Burke
--maybe you did, but I'm not entirely sure that you've convinced me.

Sam's on the Blue Whale phone, assuring Maggie he's all right--I'm fine--I'm sorry if I worried you--yes, darling, I'm coming home right away. Roger comes over to him. I thought you left, says Sam. I've been thinking about your request, says Roger, perhaps I was a bit hasty in refusing to give you money. Changed your mind, eh? asks Sam. Yes, I think it might be wise if you did leave town, says Roger. Wiser for me--or for you? asks Sam. For both of us, of course, says Roger, as you said. I've been thinking, too, says Sam, and it was a foolish moment of panic. Come on, says Roger, annoyed, you can't change your mind every few minutes. Sam laughs--it seems we're guilty of the same vice, he says. I told you, I've thought it over, says Roger. I'm sure you did, says Sam, I'm sure you realized how interesting it would seem, both to Burke and the police, if I hurriedly left town during the investigation of Bill Malloy's murder. That had nothing to do with it, says Roger. I know statements you yourself said you didn't believe a few moments ago, but it's changed now--you suddenly realized how marvelous it would be for you if the police thought I was running out on a murder charge--he pats Roger's shoulder--yes, I want to thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'm offering you several thousand dollars, says Roger. Keep it, says Sam, when Burke comes to you, you may need it. And he leaves the bar. Roger looks pissed off.

One of the most fascinating places to me was Norway, Burke relates to Vicki, who is now sitting on the sofa--those men are sailors--reminded me of my dad--he would have loved it there. Fascinated, Vicki asks if he loved the sea that much. Crazy about it, says Burke, but he never got much chance at it--he was, well, not too healthy, so he had to settle for being a landlubber. You must have a lot of the sailor in you, don't you? asks Vicki, smiling. I don't know, says Burke, what I am--when I was old enough to think of what I wanted to be when I grew up--nothing. He sits beside her. When I was little, I wanted to be bareback ride in the circus, says Vicki--all beautiful and dressed in spangles and riding the most magnificent big white horse you ever saw. Did you ever try? he asks. I was in that foundling home, how could I? she asks. You could have run away, he says. I'm not that type, she says. I wish you were--I mean from here, he says--I wish you'd pack your bags and run away as far as you can. To what? she asks--the circus and a big white horse? Maybe, he says, maybe even to Norway--anywhere but this dungeon--you don't belong with ghosts, but with the world, with laughter and smiles, and everything the world can give you. And you, where do you belong? She asks. In the dungeon, here, says Burke. Liz enters, apologizing for taking so long (did she leave Burke alone with Vicki, knowing she would defuse him?). Here, let me help you with that, says Burke, relieving her of the heavy tea tray. Thank you, she says--have you two been having an interesting conversation? Yes, says Vicki, he's been telling me about the places he's visited. None of them have seemed as much like home as Collinwood, says Burke. Not quite like it used to be in the past, smiles Liz, but I'm glad you still enjoy being here. Couldn't we drop all this nonsense about having tea? Asks Burke. The front door opens and closes, and Liz excuses herself, asking Vicki to serve the tea. Liz closes the double doors and meets Roger in the foyer. I'm so glad you're home, she tells him. That's sweet of you, he says, I'm glad to be home--it's been a difficult evening, I can use some peace and quiet--he starts to head upstairs, and she informs him they have a guest--she was just about to serve tea.
Roger asks who it is. Someone we both knew we had to see sooner or later she says--Burke Devlin.

NOTES: Showdown time! Now that Burke has eliminated Sam as a suspect, he's moving on to Roger. Did one of these men kill Malloy, or was it just an accident? It was fun watching Sam and Roger sparring a bit, with Sam laughing at the younger man. Theses two are strange bedfellows, of course, one rich, one poor, and Roger used his money to influence a desperate Sam 10 years ago and keep him on his side during Burke's manslaughter trial. It was nice seeing Sam getting the upper hand, keeping Roger off-balance, playing with him a little.

Burke already likes Vicki, that's why he's encouraging her to go. You can tell this jaded man finds her sweet, refreshing and real--and she is. You might not like her tales from the foundling home, but I do. Vicki is an innocent in a non-innocent world.

Burke seems like a man who's been in prison, just the way he does things. His refusal to leave Collinwood until Roger came home was almost scary, and he seemed bemused by Liz' hospitable offer of tea. You sense he likes the denizens of Collinwood, all but Roger, and he's especially fond of David. will his desire for revenge continue now that he's growing interested in Vicki and so fond of David?

Episode #66 - My origin is cloaked in mystery--as deep a mystery as the one that has engulfed Collinwood--where efforts are being made to discover how a man died--and whether or not someone caused his death.

Looking as if he's going in to be executed, Roger slowly enters the drawing room with Liz, where Burke and Vicki wait. What are you doing here? demands Roger. Having, tea, replies Burke. Did you invite him here? Roger asks Liz. Hardly, she says, but I thought once he was here that it was better to give the appearance of hospitality. Why? asks Roger. He was waiting to see you, says Liz, I thought it would be as well for him to be in a good humor. It's a shame I wasn't here to make the tea personally! Says Roger. I don't think I'd have risked drinking it! counters Burke. Roger goes over to pour a drink. Vicki asks Liz if she wants her to leave. Of course not, says Liz--it seems that Burke is going to make everything public. By all means stay! says Roger--there may be one or two things you've missing in your little prying. I have not pried, and you know it, says Vicki. You are perfectly willing to discuss our private affairs with anyone, he says, even the waitress in the hotel cafe. Why pick on her? asks Burke, Roger, why don't you pick on someone your own size? I have nothing to say to you, Devlin, says Roger. I'm sick and tired of these insinuations, Liz tells her brother--I would like the matter settled! I see, says Roger, in that case, I would like to talk to Burke alone. Seems to me you've had plenty of time to talk to Burke alone, observes Liz. I will talk to him alone or not at all, says Roger. Very well, says Liz, and leaves the room. Perhaps someday we can have a meal, Burke says to Vicki, lunch or dinner--without interruption. Vicki smiles and leaves the drawing room, and Roger closes the doors in Liz' face, then asks Burke just what he wants. I want your hide, says Burke.

Liz asks Vicki if, when they were talking, Burke seemed in control of himself. Why yes, says Vicki. I hope it's all right to leave them alone like that, says Liz. I'm sure it is, says Vicki, Mr. Devlin seems--all he did was talk of some of his travels--he did say he'd come here tonight to settle some of the things that brought him back to Collinsport. Then he still may be concerned with clearing his name, says Liz--that accident he told you about. I suppose so, says Vicki. How can he be so insensitive? Asks Liz--why can't he show a little more respect for the fact that Bill Malloy just died? He's very much concerned, he told me so, says Vicki. Then why doesn't he show it--drop his own personal vendetta for a while? Asks Liz. Because he believes the two are somehow connected, says Vicki--he thinks... I know what he thinks, says Liz, he repeated the conversation he had with you at the Evans house. At least he admitted he wasn't quite sure of what happened during the accident, says Vicki. Then why doesn't he leave Roger alone? asks Liz. Because he thinks... begins Vicki. I'm tired of what he thinks! Insists Liz. I'm sorry, says Vicki. Don't be, it's not your fault, says Liz, I think I'll go get some of that tea I missed a while ago. Would you like me to get some for you? asks Vicki. No, says Liz--perhaps they'll get something straightened out in there tonight. I hope so, says Vicki. Liz walks toward the drawing room, clearly worried.

Don't you know I could sue you for slander? Roger demands of Burke--it happens to be against the law to make statements such as you've made about me--unless you're fully prepared to prove them! Burke grins and sits down, and, holding up the silver tea pot, invites Roger to sue him--I'd like nothing better! That case was settled in court 10 years ago, says Roger--the jury said you were guilty. But I said I wasn't, says Burke. You haven't got a leg to stand on, warns Roger, you have no new evidence to introduce--if I brought up a charge of slander, they would bring up the whole past again--they would have to give you a trial, and the court has already denied that. Exactly, says Burke. What would it prove--if you have no evidence? Asks Roger. But I don't, says Burke, now that Bill Malloy is dead. I don't know anything about that, says Roger. You don't know anything about Bill Malloy's evidence, says Burke, or about Bill Malloy's death? Neither one, says Roger--he certainly would have said something about it to me, and he didn't. And he didn't say anything about it to Sam Evan? Asks Burke. How should I know? asks Roger. Burke grins--I suppose you would rather I dropped this theory that Malloy told Evans something that would exonerate me? You're beating a dead horse--it's over and done with! exclaims Roger. I guess you're right, says Burke--you must imagine that since I've already served my five years, come out of it with my health, made a lot of money since then, I really have no cause for complaint, right? He sips his tea. It could have been worse for you, you know points out Roger, it's such a long time ago, and finished. I served five years, one month, three days and seven hours, recounts Burke, and every minute of that time I thought of what it would be like when I got back here! Roger, looking nervous, says I thought you were going to drop that. I am, says Burke, if you'll answer one question honestly. I have answered EVERY question honestly! Says Roger. Have you? demands Burke--never mind, I said I'd drop that--besides, there's something a good deal more important to consider. Oh? asks Roger, what's that? Burke rises and comes very close to him--did you kill Bill Malloy? Roger gazes at him, full in the face.

Are you serious? asks Roger. I've never been more serious in my life! says Burke--did you kill Bill Malloy? Do you expect a serious answer? asks Roger. You might as well tell me, says Burke--you can deny it later--I intend to find it out, anyway. I'm just as anxious as you are to find out how he managed to slip in the water and drown, says Roger--and that's what happened you know--don't make it any worse than it is! A man who's been around boats all his life just slipped and fell in the water? asks Burke. There is no evidence to the contrary, says Roger. Evidence!--I'd rather rely on my instincts, says Burke. Why should I kill Malloy? asks Roger--he was a friend of mine--I had no reason to want him dead. You didn't? asks Burke--Malloy set up that meeting to force Sam Evans to state that I was NOT driving that car the night the man was killed. "Burke, you make me sick!" says Roger.--"How long are you going to hang on to that ridiculous story?" And if I wasn't driving the car, you were! shouts Burke--you should have served that sentence, not me! I must say, says Roger, I've been completely wrong about you. I'm glad to hear that, says Burke. I said that you served five years in prison, and that it hadn't done you any harm--now I see that it has--it's driven you insane! I still have sense enough to say that you were the only one who had a motive to kill Bill Malloy, says Burke. If what you say is true, about motive, then Evans has just as much as I have, says Roger. I talked to Sam Evans, says Burke--he had nothing to do with Bill Malloy's death. You're judge and jury, aren't you? asks Roger sarcastically.
Burke grabs him by the upper arms and says, through gritted teeth, "Yes!--you better believe I am!" Roger frees himself from Burke's grip and ties to leave, but Burke forcefully slams the doors, preventing his exit.

Vicki is in her room, writing a letter, when Liz knocks. Vicki asks if she can do something for her, and Liz expresses worry about what's going on in the drawing room. I haven't heard any screams yet, says Vicki--I guess that's not very funny. Did I interrupt you? asks Liz, sitting in a chair. No, I was just writing a letter, says Vicki. You write a great many letters, says Liz--it's nice that you have so many friends. Most of the letters they write aren't exactly to friends, says Vicki. Acquaintances at the foundling home? asks Liz. Very few of them, says Vicki--when a child is placed in a foster home, usually the new parents like to forget about the past. I suppose that's for the best, comments Liz. It is, really, says Vicki, this letter I'm writing is to myself. This puzzles Liz. I know it sounds strange, says Vicki--it's a habit I got into when I was a child--it was the only way I had of getting any mail. How said, says Liz. You can't imagine what a thrill it was to get a letter--why, I'd put a stamp on it and pout it in the mailbox and then I'd have the double thrill of knowing the mailman was brining a special letter to me. No one else ever wrote you? asks Liz sadly. No, replies Vicki, we kept hoping--we all kept hoping as soon as we were old enough to know why w were there--one day, we'd get a letter, a special letter from our real parents. Didn't...most of the children know that their real parents were...no longer living? asks Liz, leaning forward. Of course,, says Vicki, but you can always hope. Liz sighs.
Yes, she says, you can always hope--she rises from the chair and goes to the window--you must have written a great many letters to yourself. It's like some people keep a diary, says Vicki, like my own personal diary, written to myself. You must have a pretty complete record of everything that's happened to, says Liz. It doesn't take as many letters as you might think, Vicki tells her. But your whole life! says Liz. No, says Vicki, not very much ever happened to me--until I came to Collinwood. Liz looks helpless, guilty--and miserable.

Both men still standing by the double doors, Roger tells Burke he has no right to question him like this--I'm not on trial! Then would you mind running through the time table you set for yourself that night? asks Burke. I've always gone over it with the sheriff, says Roger. Then you shouldn't mind going over it with me, says Burke--you do want to get rid of me tonight, don't you? I most certainly do, agrees Roger. Now, then, says Burke--you state that Malloy left here at 10 after 10, right? Yes, says Roger. Why did he come here in the first place? Asks Burke. TO make sure I would attend his meeting at 11, says Roger. A meeting whose purpose you knew nothing about, says Burke. He said I'd find out when I got there, says Roger. But you didn't find out, says Burke, yes, and then you say you left here at 10 of 11, is that right? Right, says Roger. That means you had 40 minutes to kill, says Burke. Roger looks at him. I really should use that word, should I? asks Burke--you had 40 minutes with nothing to do--is that better? I had a great deal to do, says Roger--we're not all like you, some of us have to work for a living--Bill Malloy brought me some papers from the office to go over--I was interrupted at first by your friend, Miss Winters, then I went back to work studying the papers, and then I left the house at 10 of 11, so, you see, I didn't have any time at all, as you suggest, to KILL! You have never mentioned papers before, says Burke. They were no concern of yours, says Roger, they were business papers. I suppose you could produce these papers, challenges Burke. My dear fellow, I could produce reams of papers if I had to, says Roger. I bet you could, says Burke So you see, it's impossible that I had anything to do with Bill Malloy's death at 10:45 since I was right here in this room at the time. I see, says Burke, it's just too bad you don't have anyone to verify this time. Oh but I do, says Roger. Your sister--I'm sure Elizabeth would swear anything for you, says Burke. Roger grins and says not at all--your good friend Miss Winters can verify it. Vicki? asks Burke, puzzled and unhappy--she's mixed up in this? It isn't a question of being mixed up in anything, says Roger--it just so happens she came downstairs about that time to tell me something. Something important, guesses Burke--then she must know what time it was. If you must know, says Roger, she was telling me about a dinner party she was going to have with Sam Evans. Oh, yes, says Burke. Surely you'll take her word for it, says Roger. Maybe, if I heard her say it, agrees Burke. Would I tell you something like that if it wasn't true? asks Roger--it would be too easy to check on! Then suppose we check on it, says Burke--go get her and tell her to come down here and say what you just said. She's probably gone to bed now, hedges Roger. She and your sister are probably waiting right outside the door to listen for some kind of violence in here--go get them. I'm not going to disrupt the entire house... GO GET THEM! orders Burke--you do want me to leave here tonight, don't you?--get them. Roger very reluctantly leaves to do so.

Vicki tells Liz she must think it very strange that when a child is surrounded by so many other children, she's lonely enough to write herself letters. I know what loneliness can be like, says Liz. But you--well, you could leave Collinwood if you want to, says Vicki. No I couldn't, insists Liz. What I mean is, you have Carolyn and she has you, says Vicki. Still, says Liz, I understand why it's so important for you to write letters to yourself. It's become more important lately, says Vicki, I try and write down everything--I'm so afraid I might miss something that might shed light on who my parents are. Does it mater that much? asks Liz. Even if they're dead, I want to know who they are, says Vicki--until I do, I just can't feel I belong anywhere. Isn't it enough to know that you're here now? asks Liz. No, it isn't, replies Vicki passionately. Roger knocks and enters the room. Liz asks if Burke has gone. No, says Roger, as a matter of fact, Miss Winters can help me. How? asks Vicki. Burke seems to attach great importance to the hour of my departure from the house the night Malloy was killed--it's a bore, really--but I thought it might convince him if you would come down simply and tell him I couldn't possibly have left this house in time to kill Bill Malloy. Is that what he thinks? asks Liz. Vicki is thinking hard. It's absurd, of course, says Roger, but it's the only way I can get rid of him!--there's no use to appeal to his judgment, because he doesn't have any. Miss Winters? asks Liz. Vicki tells them she doesn't know exactly what she can say to him. We went over the whole thing--surely you remember, says Roger. I remember that I wasn't sure, says Vicki. Roger tells Liz to go downstairs and entertain their guest while he helps Miss Winters remember. Liz leaves. Roger asks Vicki to sit down. She does, not looking happy at all.

You must remember interrupting the telephone call I was making, says Roger. Yes I do, replies Vicki, it was about 10:30. You see, about 10:30, he says, we talked for a while about the dinner you were going to have, in fact, we discussed it at some length--then you went to your room--that must have been 10:25--I left the house five minutes later. I didn't know how late it was, says Vicki, as I said, I didn't pay much attention to the time--it didn't seem important. It still isn't important, says Roger--except to Burke Devlin. What is it you want me to tell him? asks Vicki. The truth, of course, says Roger--that I left the house at 10 of 11. I don't know when you left, says Vicki, I didn't see you go. That's a pity, says Roger, still, if we did discuss your dinner engagement until 10:45, surely you believe it took me at least five minutes to get my business papers together. I suppose it must have, says Vicki.
That's all I want you to tell Burke, says Roger. Very well, she says. Roger stands, smiling.

Down in the drawing room, Liz asks Burke what it will take for him to leave them alone. I think you know that as well as I do, says Burke. Suppose by some strange quirk of fate, you manage to send Roger to jail, suggests Liz, what will you have accomplished? Justice--is that word foreign to your vocabulary? asks Burke. No it isn't, she says, I believe in it myself, but there are times when it's difficult to know where justice lies. Are you referring to my automobile accident that I went to prison for? he asks. Isn't that what you've been discussing with Roger? asks Liz. Among other things, says Burke. You can't be serious in thinking Roger had anything to do with Bill Malloy's death, says Liz, why would he kill a man who's been my friend for years? I AM serious, says Burke, and I'm shouting it loud and clear for everyone to hear!--I think Roger Collins killed Bill Malloy--and I think he sent Matthew Morgan into the Blue Whale to kill me! Matthew to kill you? says Liz, amazed--why would Matthew want to kill you? For the same reason you would like to, replies Burke--to protect the Collins name--let me tell you something--I am not at all impressed by the Collins name--and when I finish with my business here, I don't think anybody else will be, either. Liz draws herself up proudly and asks what he will have gained. Vindication, he answers. Is it vindication you want, or are you merely being vindictive--they're quite alike, aren't they? Roger and Vicki enter the room. There you are, just as you ordered, Roger tells Burke--now ask your question and leave. Burke chuckles. Well, since you seem so sure of the answer, there doesn't seem much point in asking it, does there, Vicki? I don't know what you mean, she says--Mr. Collins asked me to tell you the exact time he left the house. And you have now quite conveniently remembered that it was 10 minutes to 11, right? asks Burke. I haven't conveniently remembered anything, replies Vicki, stung--Mr. Collins was here at 10:30, I saw and talked to him. For quite some time, adds Roger. Well, for a while, agrees Vicki. Try and think, says Burke, what is the last time you can place Roger Collins in this house? I can't honestly say, says Vicki--I can say that I have absolutely every reason to believe he left the house when he said he did--at 10 minutes of 11. Roger thanks her. Yes, says Burke, sarcastically, thank you very much, Miss Winters. He looks at her as if she betrayed him. You wanted an answer, says Liz, as the camera goes crazy and shows us the lights overhead, you have received it--now will you please oblige me by leaving? You don't think this ends it, do you? asks Burke. With you? says Liz incredulously, of course not--you're behaving now exactly as you did when you heard the jury's verdict--the results don't please you so you choose to ignore them--you seem to think that Burke Devlin could never do anything wrong. Yes, I could do something wrong, says Burke, gazing right at Vicki, and when I make a mistake about a thing, pr a person, it's a big mistake. I told you he truth, says Vicki. I don't doubt you for a minute, Burke says. Then what are you waiting for? demands Roger--you heard what she said--get out! I'm going, says Burke--thank you for a charming evening, Miss Stoddard--Miss Winters
--and he stops in the doorway and tells them, "I'll be back at Collinwood--possibly to stay!" We heard his retreating footsteps as the camera pans from Roger to Liz to Vicki. Roger's mouth trembles.

NOTES: Very tense, tight and excellent scenes here today. Burke feels Vicki has betrayed him. I wonder if he'll still want to take her out after this? Vicki was as honest as she could be, since it appears she never looked at the clock on the night in question. Still, she felt she had to give answers to Burke that would satisfy Roger, and she knew it.

Touching scenes between Liz and Vicki. Why does Liz look so guilty when she realizes how lonely Vicki was in the foundling home? She has the look of a woman who gave up a child and is now being faced with the consequences of that action. Bennett and Moltke were wonderful together, lots of mother-daughter chemistry. I know there are those who don't accept it, given the picture of Betty Hanscomb we saw a few eps ago, but I do and always have.

The scenes between Roger and Burke were fraught with tension and fear. Burke wants Roger to suffer in jail, just as he suffered, if not for the manslaughter charge, for murdering Bill Malloy. Now that this has failed because of Vicki's assurance that Roger was with her long enough to be his alibi, Burke will probably move forward with his alternate plan--to financially ruin the family, take Collinwood, and live there after kicking all of them out. He should, perhaps, consult one ghost of Quentin Collins for helpful tips here.

Love, Robin