Author Topic: Safety First  (Read 806 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Safety First
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
Can a few people suggest anti-virus programs?
Our new 'puter came with an introductory 60 days McAfee, but the price is like $60.
I don't want free (I believe you get what you pay for!!)

Thanks,
Patti
 [snow_rolleyes]
What a Woman!

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Safety First
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
Patti, McAfee has been ripped to shreds by Ed Bott, a prominent tech journalist, so you'll be wise to ditch it ASAP. You said you don't want free, but Microsoft Security Essentials, a free program, really does a great job. I'm pretty tech savvy,and even with my careful browsing, sometimes things happen, and MSE has popped up to protect me on more than one occasion. If you really want the feel-good protection of a paid program, Eset's NOD32 is a great product, although the setup seems to be geared toward rocket scientists, but it's fairly cheap ($30-ish? for a year subscription). Symantec's Norton Internet Security has also gotten its product under control, and gets rave reviews, but it's expensive ($70-ish). I really think you'd be happy with the Microsoft product. Since it's free you have nothing to lose by trying it out. Hope this helps.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
I don't use Windows 7 that much - but I do use it. I also have Microsoft Securities Essentials installed and also like it. And as with barnabasjr, it has popped up on more than one occasion to protect me. And best of all I've yet to have any real problems.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
I think I've heard of AVG as a good free anti-virus.  I've been using VIPRE, $29.95.

Josette