Author Topic: Shadowgram 254 January 24 2012  (Read 1129 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Shadowgram 254 January 24 2012
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »
SHADOWGRAM

The Official "Dark Shadows" Published Newsletters
The Official Dark Shadows News Updates - posted via The ShadowGram Yahoo Group
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Updates
An Official Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
These News Updates are posted through the ShadowGram Yahoo Group. Joining the Group is free. For a Group invitation, contact Marcy Robin at the following e-mail address or join directly at: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/
E-Mail: ShadowGram@aol.com
Number 254. January 24, 2012

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,
ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Online News Update "bulletin."

--- "HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS" MOVIE TO AIR
--- DAVID SELBY - NEW STAGE PLAY DATE CHANGES
--- JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT FILM - DVD RELEASE
--- J. J. LUPATKIN (DS TECHNICAL DIRECTOR) PASSES AWAY
--- SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM MARCY ROBIN, SG EDITOR

**** "HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS" ON TV THIS MONTH
The original DS was unique for a daytime soap opera: it generated 2 theatrical movies. MGM released HOUSE OF DS (HODS) in 1970 and NIGHT OF DS (NODS) in 1971. In each, several TV series' actors re-created their TV, or portrayed new, characters. Both films shot on location, mainly at Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY (north of Manhattan). Both also were more violently graphic than was allowed on TV at the time.

HODS was a condensed telling of Barnabas' release from the coffin in modern-day Collinsport, his vampiric attacks, and his obsession with Maggie Evans as his reincarnated love Josette. NODS was an original story about a Collins heir who returns home and finds himself locked in a fateful deadly battle with the vengeful spirit of a woman hung for adultery decades before.

HODS will air on cable's TCM (Turner Classic Movies) on Tues., Jan. 31, at 7:00 pm Pacific Time and 10:00 pm Eastern Time. (NODS has been shown on cable TV but is not scheduled now.)

HODS and NODS were edited before their original theatrical releases. Those deleted scenes were considered lost. In 1999, the missing NODS footage was located but lacked soundtracks and needed restoration. Progress has been made on restoring the films.

Last year SG premiere-announced that both HODS and NODS expect release on DVD this year, sometime after the May 11 opening of the new DS movie starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim Burton.. ((SG will update confirmed plans. Also see recent SG print issues.))

**** DAVID SELBY ON HISTORIC STAGE - NOTE: DATE CHANGES

--- SG Update # 253 reported David (Quentin) is starring as "Abraham Lincoln" in the new play "Necessary Sacrifices. " The production is being presented at the historic Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC - the location where Lincoln was fatally shot in April, 1865.

Publicity: The play "explores the two documented encounters between Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln during a period of national crisis. During the summers of 1863 and 1864, Douglass challenges Lincoln to use his power as president to bring truth to America's founding ideal that 'all men are created equal'."

SG is asked to announce the following updated information from Ford's Theatre.

"Necessary Sacrifices Casting and Performance Schedule Changes. Craig Wallace will take on the role of Frederick Douglass in the world premiere of Necessary Sacrifices. Wallace replaces David Emerson Toney, who withdrew from the production because of a private health matter. In order to allow sufficient rehearsal time for Wallace, Ford's Theatre has canceled 4 preview performances...and added the following performances to the schedule:

Tuesday, February 14, at 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, February 15, at 7:30 p.m
Thursday, February 16, at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, February 17, at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 18, at 7:30 p.m.

"Tickets to these new performances are available now. Patrons with tickets to the canceled performances have the opportunity to exchange their tickets for another performance of Necessary Sacrifices through 2-18. Patrons who are unable to exchange may donate the value of their tickets to Ford's Theatre Society or request a refund.

"Patrons interested in exchanges or refunds. Ford's Theatre Society buyers should contact (202) 347-4833 (please leave a message if you are unable to speak directly to a customer service representative).

"Patrons who purchased through www.fords.org or Ticketmaster will be contacted by Ticketmaster directly. Those affected will receive a promotional code (expires 1-31) for reduced preview-week prices for tickets to remaining performances.

"All exchanges must be finalized prior to 1-31.".

Ford's Theatre 511 Tenth St, NW, Washington, DC 20004.
Box Office: (202) 347-4833 http://www.fords.org/event/necessary-sacrifices

David returns to Ford's and to the portrayal after his successful performance as Lincoln in 2009's "The Heavens Are Hung in Black." That world premiere, specially-commissioned play celebrated the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth as well as Ford's re-opening after extensive restorations. David also participated in several important events marking the occasion, including the prestigious Gala with dignitaries such as President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. ((See recent SG print issues for photos, details, media coverage, etc.))

**** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT "50 / 50" FILM ON DVD
Joe (1991 DS David, Daniel) starred as "Adam Learner" in 2011's fact-based "dramedy" 50 / 50. It comes out on DVD on 1-24.

He plays a young man whose life is abruptly changed by the diagnosis of a rare form of cancer. Though the title refers to his odds of survival, the film was noted for its realistic views of such a situation, while lacing the reality with gentle humor and empathy.

SG Online Update # 253 reported Joe received a Golden Globe Award nomination for the role. It was an honor, though he did not win the award.

**** J. J. LUPATKIN PASSES AWAY
SG sadly reports that J. J. Lupatkin (Original DS - Technical Director) died 12-29 after an extensive career spanning numerous TV shows and winning 2 Emmy Awards.

Besides DS, he was Technical Director on "Live With Regis and Kathy Lee," "All My Children," "One Life to Live," and "Ryan's Hope." He was also a cameraman on "ABC's Wide World of Sports," coverage of Olympic Games events, and "several high-profile American sporting events" such as the Super Bowl and World Series.

His granddaughter Judith describes: "My grandfather is the most modest person I know, and has never thought his contribution to television was important or significant to evolution of the medium. As an engineer by trade, he mostly enjoyed his work as it was an opportunity to be challenged technically, never once caring for celebritydom or fame."

The upcoming SG #122 print issue will salute J. J.

**** SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM SG EDITOR MARCY ROBIN
In SG Online Update # 253, I briefly explained that 2011 was a very difficult year for me health- and other- wise. I am very grateful for the kind get-well wishes and healing thoughts I've received from many of you. They mean a lot. I continue to improve and am now back at my fulltime job. I appreciate your support while I try to catch up with my SG / DS correspondence, the next SG #122 Official DS Published Newsletter, and so much of real life that's been disrupted.
May 2012 be better in every way for us all!

**** MESSAGES FROM SHADOWGRAM
Please send SG any publicity, reviews, articles, and pictures that you find about "House of DS" on TCM; David's play "Necessary Sacrifices," and the DVD release of "50/50." Please use SG's email/postal mail addresses below.

Fans always are encouraged and invited to please share with SG any and all DS-related references. Media attention can come at any time for the DS personnel and their projects and appearances, the new Depp/Burton movie, DS Festivals, merchandise, etc These items can be online, in print, or on the air; be international, national, or local; general or detailed; accurate or incorrect in content; specific or generic references.

You can send photos as a jpeg at high resolution to SG's e-mail address below. You also can send hard-copy pictures to SG's postal-mail address below.

Please include your full name, the source, and date so I can list you as a Contributor in the published SGs. You also may receive a complementary Contributor's Copy for major donations of information, funds, postage stamps, supplies, photos, publicity, assistance, etc. Thank you in advance for sharing.

All such items are important to the ShadowGram Newsletters, the actual complete published Official DS Newsletter & News Source. Subscribers of all ages are across the US and worldwide. I send complementary issues directly to many of the DS cast and crew. They share their news with me for SG, and who enjoy learning about their DS colleagues in SG's pages.

--- To subscribe / renew to the complete ShadowGram Official Dark Shadows Newsletters:
--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send your print issue subscription / renewal payment (check/money order) payable to:
Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram 254 January 24 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
Hmm, still not mention of any NYC dates for a ds event.  Makes me wonder if it's going to be something on a small scale but either way anyone traveling needs to know dates.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
I think they were just announcing their intention to have an event in the NYC area but haven't finalized the plans or hotel space.

Nancy

Hmm, still not mention of any NYC dates for a ds event.  Makes me wonder if it's going to be something on a small scale but either way anyone traveling needs to know dates.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
First I would like to thank Marcy here for all her hard work despite her health issues and wish her the very best.

Maybe I missed something here. Is it now safe to assume that there is not going to be a Fest this year? I do understand the reasons why there may not be one this year but an announcement should be made to that effect IMO

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I don't think anyone has said anything like that yet. Some years it just takes longer than others for them to release the Fest info. I believe that last year it didn't come out until February...

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »
I am just a impatient person! [snow_silly] I was looking back on previous years Shadowgrams and the December 2010 did have the dates for August 2011 in NYC but no actual hotel etc.  This year with my mom's health declining it just takes more planning.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
That's cool about the HoDS broadcast.  Presumably it will be shown in letterbox.  If anybody here watches, I hope they will post a review, and maybe some captures.

Sad about J. J. Lupatkin.  That's a name I have seen on my screen many, many times.  My condolences to J. J.'s family.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
So far, TCM has always aired HoDS in full screen, but I imagine that a new transfer in the correct aspect ratio will be used for the DVD/Blu-Ray release, and then released to TCM for broadcast.