Author Topic: Character Development  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Character Development
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:46:56 AM »
We all have our little quips about the poor writing and character development (and rightly so!), but, why not take a chance to tell about some of the developments we enjoy?

I really enjoy the way DS writers & TPTB took a patricidal maniac (re: David) and introduced a 200 yr old meanie (re: Barn).

David was in a word: snotty.

We don't really have a reason to like him; perhaps to pity him.

Barn, although could try to be helpful (Vicki), was/is self-serving (to say the least).

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

But, when we get back to the future from 1897, I really do like the way Barnabas and David click. I enjoy their familiar relationship; unlike the relationship Quentin has w/Jamison, it doesn't seem to interfere with Roger (unlike with Edward, who is jealous).

So, this would be my example of a character development which for all practical purposes IS sloppy (it's really never explained why David stops hating/mistrusting Barn), but, yet, I thoroughly enjoy the outcome.

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Character Development
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 04:58:38 AM »
Well, I think that David was so traumatized by what other's said was his imagination about Barnabas being dead and sleeping in a coffin, they he is in some sort of denial.  

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:52:20 AM »
Well, I think that David was so traumatized by what other's said was his imagination about Barnabas being dead and sleeping in a coffin, that he is in some sort of denial.  

Isn't it called "coping" when you deal with life when no one else believes you?

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 06:52:25 PM »
Patti, I know what you're talking about.  And it is a nice aspect of the show.  It's interesting to note as well that during 1897, Angelique's standing also undergoes a transformation. Never again is she merely a villainess (unless you count parallel time).  Like Barnabas and David's evolving friendship, she becomes the uneasy ally of her former enemies, the Collins family.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 11:46:09 PM »
I liked the way Carolyn progressed, that is, I thought it was a realistic progression of character. Not necessarily the most positive, but from start to finish, it seemed natural. She matured believably. I'm going to put the credit on Ms Barrett's shoulders for a lot of that.

Joshua is probably the best example of character development that I can think of. That made sense to me. Well written and really well acted too.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 05:29:04 PM »
Joshua is probably the best example of character development that I can think of. That made sense to me. Well written and really well acted too.

Ditto that!  Was just watching some 1795/6 episodes over the weekend, and was quietly blown away by Louis Edmond's performance.  Joshua's progression is truly tragic: a man who only discovers the love he has for his family by losing all of them.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.