Author Topic: What's With All Of These Nudes On Those Sci-Fi Channel Promos?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
What's With All Of These Nudes On Those Sci-Fi Channel Promos?
« on: February 05, 2003, 01:43:06 AM »
Hey gang,

I'm sure you've all seen those frequently-aired Sci-Fi promos featuring unclothed women.  There's the promo that shows a naked lady, crouched up in the fetal position, inside of an oversized infant (sort of a play on "2001: A Space Odyssey," I suppose).  That's bad enough.

But the Sci-Fi spot showing a beautiful young woman lying nude on her back, on top of some sort of satanic altar is just too much to take.  Talk about gratuitous nudity!  What am I watching, the Sci-Fi Channel or the Spice Channel?

And, what with the advanced state of the art digitalized video capabilities of today, I shudder to think what's coming next, Sci-Fi promos featuring beloved Dark Shadows characters in the buff!!!

I can see it now:  the eminent and tweedy Prof. T. Elliot Stokes, sprawled out au naturel on a bear skin rug, just like actor Burt Reynolds in that famous centerfold in Cosmo Magazine of many years ago.  Just try and imagine it, Prof. Stokes, sporting his trademark monocle (but sans his usual tweedy suit), declaring, "I must say, this is a most 'stimulating' experience."  Oh, the Dark Shadows shame!

Of course, if the good folks at the Sci-Fi Channel wanted to assume a more serious approach, they could emulate the promotional tactics of PETA, the animal rights group that uses nude photographs of famous actresses and fashion models to further its cause.

Perhaps you've seen the PETA advertisement that features actress Charlotte Ross of "NYPD Blue"?  I can envision the bodacious Bathia Mapes in a similar spot:  Ms. Mapes standing in her birthday suit with her back to the camera, while holding a cute bunny rabbit close to her chest, and saying, "I'd rather show my buns than wear fur."  Minerva Trask would be appalled!

Perhaps, the most outrageous Sci-Fi Channel promo would feature Barnabas Collins in the buff, standing in front of the Old House drawing room fireplace, with Mr. B. holding his trademark wolf's head cane in profile, directly in front of him (thereby, providing him with a modicum of decent "coverage").  The caption would quote Barnabas with some appropriately pithy statement, such as: "Serenity is my favorite emotion."  However, the drafty conditions of the Old House might present the photographer with the inevitable "problems" of goose pimples and the like.

I realize that ABC (the network that originally aired everyone's favorite gothic soap opera) has been a pioneer in expanding the mature content of its prime time programming.  Who can forget that famous scene in which "NYPD Blue's" burly, macho Det. Andy Sipowicz is shown taking a shower, and is then joined by his slim and sexy wife, Sylvia, under the hot running water?

I just don't want to see the Sci-Fi Channel copy ABC's provocative style by showing Sandor Racosi singing some lusty gypsy love ballad in the shower, while his willowy and earthy wife, Magda, doffs her duds, and slips into the shower with her hubby, cooing: "Ah, Sandor, you big Romanian grizzly bear, you.  Let Magda scrub your broad and hairy back for you, eh?"  Magda and Sandor starkers.  Yeah...just picture that, if you dare.

Please, leave the bare body look to ABC and the Playboy Channel.  I prefer to see Prof. Stokes, Ms. Mapes and Mr. Barnabas with their pants and knickers on, respectively, so to speak!

Bob the Indignant Bartender, who asks the question: Did they even have hot running showers in 1897?

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: What's With All Of These Nudes On Those Sci-Fi Channel Promos?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 04:06:07 AM »

I just don't want to see the Sci-Fi Channel copy ABC's provocative style by showing Sandor Racosi singing some lusty gypsy love ballad in the shower, while his willowy and earthy wife, Magda, doffs her duds, and slips into the shower with her hubby, cooing: "Ah, Sandor, you big Romanian grizzly bear, you.  Let Magda scrub your broad and hairy back for you, eh?"  Magda and Sandor starkers.  Yeah...just picture that, if you dare.  

There's not enough dark "Gypsy" body makeup in the known universe . . . a wide enough lens, or a flattering enough lens filter (perhaps a lens cap would do)!

petofi

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:15:21 AM »
I think that vivid imagination of yours is taking you down some pretty dark alleys, Roberto!

Then again....Sandor in the buff doesn't make me nearly as queasy as the idea of Trask sans clericals.  

(rainey shrieks and covers her eyes!)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 05:59:20 AM »
Raineypark,

What can I tell you?  My great-grandfather and the highly "imaginative" Martin Scorcese's great-grandfather hailed from the same tiny European village.  It must be something in the water, but more than likely something in the vino!

Ciao,

Roberto the Contemplative Bartender, who can't wait to catch the alluring Monica Belluci, a/k/a "Malena" in that new Bruce Willis flick premiering next month.  As Ezra Braithewaite might opine on the subject of the voluptuous and zaftic  Ms. Belluci: "Mama mia!"      

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 06:22:51 AM »
lmao,  Bob, I can only imagine what I will dream tonight after reading this.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 09:39:42 PM »
Yes bob have to agree the visuals are way too much! Pass the antiemetics please!
i think their commercials are what that Micheal jackson interview is going to be like!! such scary promos
for that!!!

jennifer
Billie Jean should be glad now that she wasn't the one!
also what is with the two fused together on the sci fi
promos???????
notice we never saw Andy S again in the buff!!!!
several reasons here to say no to cloning humans!Ohhh
such icky thoughts really need to [puke] now!!!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 09:50:29 PM »
I've always found the scifi commercials and promos the loudest and most annoying ones on the tube.  At times, however, the brief graphic cuts between the commercials and program (don't know what these are called) were interesting and somewhat tasteful, but not any longer.

I really, really hate that tongue licking dog, the fire breathing baby and maybe worst of all, the Asian man hatching a dragon from his skull. [puke]

Thank God for VCRs and FF buttons!

Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher