Author Topic: Menacing Minerva  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Menacing Minerva
« on: February 03, 2003, 05:53:15 PM »
Possible spoiler involved

S

p

O

I

L

E

R

?

I have a question regarding the recent haunting of Judith Collins Trask.  It appeared to me that Judith was really being haunted and posessed by Minerva's vengeful spirit before Rev. Trask and Evan Hanley conjured up the 'black ghost' of Minerva to gaslight Judith.

So what's the deal with Minerva's 'real' spirit?  Did she just decide to leave Judith alone, was she satisfied that her successor in the Reverend's bed (ewwww!) was driven insane, and had to be institutionalized?

This is my second time viewing 1897, and I just can't remember if the story ever returns to any further visitations by Minerva.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Menacing Minerva
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 12:46:15 AM »
The way I interpreted it was that Minerva was definitely haunting Judith/Collinwood (Edward saw the cards appear as well). Maybe Minerva was less hostile than not--plus, I thought ghosts are supposed to haunt in the locales where they were living at the time of their demise and Minerva wasn't living at Collinwood, so I suppose that Judith's guilt could have conjured Minerva's presence???
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 01:29:57 AM »
I interpreted the "real" ghost of Minerva differently. It seemed to me she was trying to warn Judith -- the Bible verse she marked out seemed to be saying "Beware -- there's evil afoot!"

True, she scared the bejesus out of Judith by doing so, but ghosts may not have the luxury of pussyfooting around if they're trying to warn somebody!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 02:06:13 AM »
i also thought she was trying to warn Judith of the evil
she now knows as a spirit. She should be scaring Gregory(ICK) to death!
also have to add i didn't know spirits moved either
thought they stayed where they died ( at least unhappy ones)
ie Moaning  Mrytle in Harry Potter. haunted the girls
toilet where she died.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 02:14:55 AM »
The way I interpreted it was that Minerva was definitely haunting Judith/Collinwood (Edward saw the cards appear as well). Maybe Minerva was less hostile than not--plus, I thought ghosts are supposed to haunt in the locales where they were living at the time of their demise and Minerva wasn't living at Collinwood, so I suppose that Judith's guilt could have conjured Minerva's presence???

I also thought that Judith herself might have been responsible for the haunting, (like the focus in a poltergeist case) and that her subconscious guilt over marrying Trask made her the target of the various odd phenomena.  However, it wouldn't explain the apparent 'possession' at Minerva's grave or how Judith would subsequently know that Evan Hanley had had a role in the murder (unless one takes into account the power of suggestion and Tim's previously voiced suspicions.)

ProfStokes  

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 05:18:48 PM »
Well now, that pretty much makes sense.  Minerva could've been trying to warn Judith - who was as blissfully ignorant of the evil afoot when she married the good Reverend as his late wife had been.

And it also makes sense that maybe Judith's guilt over the hurried nature of her marriage might have made her the focus of the 'real' haunting.

This actually isn't such a bad storyline.  I'm enjoying it better the second time around, and think Joan Bennett did a great job with it.  

Anyone else seen the movie 'Gaslight?'  I wonder if it may have inspired this storyline.  The husband's name was even Gregory in that movie.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 06:32:42 PM »
Anyone else seen the movie 'Gaslight?'  I wonder if it may have inspired this storyline.  The husband's name was even Gregory in that movie.
I saw it a long time ago. It was quite good. Ingrid Bergman won an Academy Award for it.
E-Online has Gaslight listed as: "A society wife is driven insane by her jewel-hungry husband in this Victorian thriller. An opulent remake of the l940 British version. Based on the play, Angel Street by Patrick Hamilton.
Charles Boyer played her husband; Angela Lansbury was in it, too.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 08:25:45 PM »

I think that's a very safe guess, although I would go more with "ripped off" then "inspired" :) To be fair though this whole plot belongs firmly in a genre I've seen facetiously referred to as "Someone's trying to kill me! and I think it's my husband!"
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 09:11:55 PM »
I think that's a very safe guess, although I would go more with "ripped off" then "inspired" :)  To be fair though this whole plot belongs firmly in a genre I've seen facetiously referred to as "Someone's trying to kill me! and I think it's my husband!"

LOL!  Yes, 'ripped off' is probably more accurate!

And they're still making those "Someone's trying to kill me and I think it's my husband!" movies.  Ever watched Lifetime? It's like 2/3 of their programming![lghy]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 12:14:35 AM »
Actually, this situation isn't much different than Nathan trying to drive Millicent insane in order to get at her money in 1796 (without supernatural intervention, however.)  The DS writers must be fond of that genre too.

ProfStokes