Author Topic: Robservations 1/31/03 - #790-791 - Master of Collinwood!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 1/31/03 - #790-791 - Master of Collinwood!
« on: January 31, 2003, 12:06:47 AM »
790 - (Clarice Blackburn) - The mistress of Collinwood has returned to the great house as a bride, unaware that the man she has married plans to destroy her, using the silent spectre of a dead woman as his weapon.  And to her horror, Judith will learn that the living have no less pity than the dead.

And Minerva, who didn't speak in the last episode, does the intro again!  (Isn't the specter of Minerva really creepy?)

Judith runs up to her room and closes the door, but continues to hear the sound of a rocking chair behind her.  She turns and there is Minerva, still working on the needlepoint, rocking eerily away.  Judith begs the apparition, tell me what you want!  Trask enters.  Judith hugs him, glad he's here--she followed me!  Who? asks Trask.  Minerva--she's here, in that rocker, says Judith.  Trask walks over and looks at the rocker, then insists no one is there.  The rocker is moving, points out Judith.  No, says Trask, it isn't--I want to prove to you no one is in the rocker--you will sit here and overcome your fear, he says, getting a little rough, physically--for your own good, of course.  She wrenches away from him.  You can't run away, says Trask.  What does Minerva wants of me? asks Judith.  Trask counters--the question is, what do you want from Minerva?--poor Minerva, who never hurt a soul--why are you making a demon of her?  I haven't, says Judith.  You have, says Trask, and must stop it.  He grabs hold of her and tries to force her into the rocker.  "Gregory, please!" she begs.  He slaps her across the face.  She covers her face with her hands--"You hit me!" she accuses.  For your own good, he says--stop crying and listen carefully to me--Edward is greatly disturbed by your recent behavior.  What do you mean? asks Judith.  I don't wish to discuss it in detail, says Trask, as it would only make you feel worse--"He's thinking of having you put away."  Judith's face crumples in horror--I can't believe that!  Trask asks, are you accusing me of lying?  Of course not, says Judith.  (He is such a manipulative bastard!)  I can't believe Edward would consider such a thing, murmurs Judith.  What choice do you leave him when you carry on like this? demands Trask.  Judith hears the creaking rocker again, and turns to listen.  You aren't paying attention to me, says Trask.  Make her stop rocking! begs Judith.   No one is rocking, says Trask.  Yes she is! cries Judith, can't you hear her?-- "Listen, please listen!" she begs.  Trask heads for the door--I can't bear talking to you like this, he says, it breaks my heart--Edward is planning terrible things and you can't even concentrate on what it means to both of us.  Her voice filled with tears, Judith says, I CAN concentrate, I will listen, if you make her go away--she'll do it for you, you're her husband!  Trask says, "Judith, I am YOUR husband."  Then don't leave me, she begs.  He pries the key from her hand.  "I must," he says, "for your own sake."  He locks her in the bedroom as she screams and pleads, "Don't leave me alone with her--don't lock me in!  "Do I hear Judith Collins begging?" he asks.  Judith bangs on the door, pleading to be let out.  He smiles.  I will pray for you, he says.  He leaves.  Judith turns away from the door to see Minerva sitting and rocking, rocking, rocking...

Magda enters police headquarters.  Edward Collins sent me, she tells the deputy.  She explains that sometimes gypsies can look into the mind--perhaps I can figure out who the mangled man in the cell is--it's best I see him alone.  She stands outside the cell and calls to Quentin, who still doesn't know who she is or he is.  He knows nothing, Magda fears.
Barnabas Collins is coming to get you out tonight, she whispers, and will take you to the Old House.  The deputy comes in.  Any luck? he asks.  Too soon to tell anything, says Magda, we will find out later.  And she sails past him.  Quentin sits in the cell, mute.

Judith looks at Minerva, who rises from the rocker and gazes at her.  "You won't get me--no one will get me," Judith tells the apparition.  Trask comes in.  Thank you for praying for me, says Judith.  It was the only thing I could do, he says.  The right thing, she says, I am rid of my delusion.  "You no longer see Minerva?" asks Trask--"Are you sure?"  Yes, responds Judith.  Trask looks at her sharply.  He smiles.  Remember, you lied to me once before, he reminds her.  Not now, says Judith--she's gone--I'm all right.  I truly hope so, says Trask, but unhappily, we must remember that this isn't the first time you've been disturbed--Dirk Wilkins and his hold on you.  How could I have prevented that? asks Judith.  You couldn't, says Trask--or could you?--I wonder if there is something in you that reaches out to unnatural creatures.  Other people have been bitten by vampires, says Judith--your own daughter was!  (great point, Judith!)  I didn't come to argue, he says, but to see how you were.  Much better, she says--I want to go downstairs.  No, says Trask--you must rest.  I don't want to stay here, protests Judith, who looks at Minerva standing there.  Why not? he asks--your delusion is gone, isn't it?   Yes, agrees Judith.  Then, says Trask, what's the matter?  He moves to leave.  Don't lock the door, asks Judith--it would be a sign I'm better.  Then I'll leave it open, he says, but you must not come downstairs--rest--if you gets tired of staying in bed, you could read or SEW, perhaps (nasty dig).  I never did much sewing, says Judith.  You've never been a wife before, says Trask, Minerva used to sit for hours on end" (the apparition sits) "stitch, stitch, stitch. . .sometimes I'd tease her--Minerva, you're sewing your life away."  Judith, voice trembling, asks, please don't talk about her.  He grins and apologizes for upsetting her--everything was so quick--her death, our marriage, she still seems to real to me, so close, so very close...good afternoon, Judith--rest well.  She begs him not to go, which puzzles him--you're well, you told me so yourself.  Judith nods, looking tearful and fearful.  She looks at Minerva, who is still sewing.

10:40 PM - Trask answers a knock at the door--it's Magda.  Judith sent for me, she says.  I'm surprised, says Trask, not because Judith sent for you, but because you told me the truth.  So you knew why I was here before you asked then, right? Queries Magda.  Yes, says Trask.  She remarks, you probably know everything that happens around here, you makes it your business to.  He gets in her face--I don't make it my business, it IS my business, if you understand the difference.  I understand quite a lot, the gypsy assures him.  He grabs her arm--Judith can continue to wait for you, he says.  "What a way for a bridegroom to be," remarks Magda, snatching her arm away. I want to talk to you, he says.  I can't wait to hear it says Magda.  You will hear it, he says, and then do what I want you to do.  You're very sure of yourself, she comments.  Yes, he says, we both have our secrets--I understand your sister had two children--you wouldn't want them sent away, would you?  Magda curls her lip in anger and asks, what do you want me to do to Miss Judith?  I'll tell you, he says, but first I must remind you she is now Mrs. Trask.

Quentin sits in his cell.  A bat flies in and he looks around.  He hears the deputy say, "Hey, what are you doing in here?  Where did you come from?  I. . .I. . .no, no, ahhhhh!"  Quentin hears footsteps and backs away from the bars, afraid.  His cell door opens via an unseen presence, and he races past the deputy, who lies sprawled his chair, two fang marks on his throat (and nary an appearance by Jonathan Frid--boooo!)

Judith is very nervous when she lets Magda into her room and says, the ghost of Mrs. Trask was here all day, but is gone now.  I'm glad she vanished, says Magda.  I'm not crazy, insists Judith.  I don't think you crazy because you saw a simple ghost, says Magda.  Edward and Trask both think me crazy, says Judith--he thinks I'm doing it deliberately, but I'm not, and that's why I sent for you--if anyone else could see it, you could--I was afraid you wouldn't get here.  I'm always here when I'm needed, says Magda.  The ghost is back, Judith says, in that rocking chair.  Magda looks, but claims, I can't see her--I see nobody.  Judith puts her hands on Magda's shoulders, holding them--I know you're lying, she accuses--I don't know why, but you're lying!--"Magda, she's here, she's here, tell me you can see her!"  I see nobody, insists Magda.
Judith begs, over and over, admit you see her!  Her face set, Magda stays silent.

Back downstairs at Collinwood, Trask asks Magda, did you see my wife.  "Which one?" the gypsy demands angrily.  "You know which one, he says, my poor, sick Judith."  Hands on hips, Magda tells him, "Your poor, sick wife made me believe that I saw what she saw. "  "You didn't tell her you saw it?" asks Trask anxiously.
No, I didn't tell her, says Magda.   Trask is pleased.  She says, good that I lied--how did you do it?  None of your business, he says, your business is quite finished here.  Yes, she agrees, and leaves him with a parting shot:  "I've traveled all over the world and I've seen many people, some of them low, but you are the lowest, and if you think that black suit and high collar hide what you are, you are wrong!  I recognize you, I know you are a swine!"  She spits at his feet.  (Oh, this was a grand, wonderful scene!  I applauded Magda!

Quentin returns to Collinwood at midnight.  He wanders into the drawing room, not knowing where he is or why he came here.  Who am I? he asks himself--I don't know that or this place--why am I here?  He meanders to the gramophone and plays the music, listening to it. Judith hears the music downstairs and leaves the room.  Quentin is reciting "Shadows of the Night," out loud.  Judith comes in.  He turns, revealing his disfigured face.  She screams.  "Judith, be quiet," he warns her, taking her arm.  Who are you and how do you know me? she demands.  "I am Quentin," he says.  Not believing him, she tries to leave, but he grabs her arm.  Don't get anyone, he asks.  Let go of me, she says, I'm afraid.  Don't be afraid of your own brother, he says--I am Quentin.  You're not! she says.  I want help, he says, they're after me.  Who? she asks.  The police, he answers.  I don't get it, she says--who you are, how you know me, why you're here.  "Because it's my home!" he insists, "I am Quentin!"
She backs away and turns around to find Minerva holding up a letter opener, ready to stab her!

NOTES:  When Magda told Quentin Barnabas would free him, I hoped for a visit from our favorite vampire, but they managed to get away without his presence in this episode.  I wished so much that Magda would defy Trask and tell Judith she did see Minerva, but knew Trask had pulled the trump card.  Magda feels she has done enough to those children, so she wouldn't want to risk Trask sending them away.  LOVED how Magda told Trask off.  He deserved every word, and the spit, too.  Wished she had done it in his face!

I missed Barnabas, but this was an OK ep.  What Trask does to Judith really bothers me, so this isn't one of my favorite segments, but I love Clarice Blackburn as the silent but deadly Minerva and Trask as the son of a bitch hubby.

It really hurts to see poor Judith turned from a strong, vital woman into this mealy-mouthed, put-upon damsel in distress.  This isn't the Judith who made Edward get put of bed in the middle of the night just to tell him she was going to sleep in Grandmama's room.  What happened to her chutzpah when she married Trask?  I don't like it!

791 - (Humbert Allen Astredo) - In the great house of Collinwood at the turn of the century, two people struggle to find out who they really are.  One has a name she feels no right to, the other has a new face and is a horrifying stranger, even to himself.

When Quentin races forward to protect Judith, Minerva's ghost disappears.  Judith realizes that Quentin saw the apparition and is relieved.  Trask, gun in hand, comes running downstairs, ordering the stranger, as he sees Quentin--leave her alone, don't touch her!  Quentin dashes from the house.  Judith begs her husband, don't shoot him!.  Trask says, I'm not going to allow a prowler to come onto MY property.  That man saw Minerva, says Judith.  Trask insists, there was no one to see.  Minerva came after me with a knife, explains Judith, and the man saw her, tried to go after her--she disappeared.  Gallant for a prowler, remarks Trask.  He said he was Quentin, Judith says.  Did he look like Quentin to you? asks Trask.  No, but he said he was Quentin, says Judith, confused--I don't know why he said that--but he saw her!--that means I'm not mad, doesn't it?  Poor Judith, says Trask, obviously the prowler has upset you a great deal.  He wasn't a prowler, says Judith, he was. . .   Quentin, yes, I know, soothes Trask, leading her into the drawing room--perhaps if you take some medicine, he says, pouring something into a glass.  Judith gets upset--I'm sane and don't want anything, she insists.  You're fine, just overwrought, says Trask, and with the proper rest. . .   Judith again tries to tell him, I'm all right, but instead screams, covering her face with her hands.  Minerva has returned, sitting and sewing.  Trask says, I can't see her--but a stranger claiming to be Quentin could?--it IS odd.  Minerva comes toward Judith again, carrying her sewing.  Trask asks, what do you want of Minerva--is it that life is so terrible with me, you envy her escaping it?--envy her eternal rest--death?--tell me, Judith, please.  Judith begs, please make her stop staring at me.  Take your medicine, he orders.  Judith swallows it like a shot of booze.  Someone knocks at the door.  Let someone else answer it, begs Judith--I don't want to be alone.  The sedative will soon take effect, he says.  I think Minerva still has her knife and is hiding it, says Judith.  Stop it, orders Trask--you're carrying this much too far--sit down until I come back--don't leave this room!  Please, I don't want to be left alone in here, pleads Judith.  Trask closes the double doors, leaving Judith gazing fearfully at Minerva, who stares back at her with eyes of death.

Evan tells Trask the wolfman escaped--the countryside is swarming with police.  They haven't been here yet, says Trask.  He might come here, says Evan, since this is where he's been frequently seen.  Trask says, we did have a visitor a while ago, a prowler--Judith found him in the drawing room--he said he saw Minerva.  That's bad, says Evan.  I thought so too, at first, says Trask--did you bring the paper?  Evan pulls it from his jacket and hands it to Trask, who looks it over and pronounces it excellent.  Do you think it's too early to get her to sign?  Trask grins--you won't be so cautious once you see Judith.  What about the prowler seeing Minerva? asks Evan.  Judith thought the man was Quentin, explains Trask.  This strikes a nerve with Evan: She did?  Trask thinks, it's time to better my fortune.  "OUR fortunes," Evan reminds him--I'm not a fool and won't rely only on your word.  "I am a man of the cloth," says Trask.  I suggest we not get into that issue, advises Evan--you should come to my home tonight.  I will, promises Trask, when all that is done is done.  Dear Judith, says Evan, my poor client, she waited so long to marry, and when she did she got you to take care of her--tsk, tsk--I find it hard to believe she will accept these blatant falsehoods you are suggesting.  You will when you see her, says Trask.  Evan reminds him Judith saw Edward only recently, was at Carl's funeral--will she believe the world is upside down?  If we tell her so, yes, says Trask.  Suddenly, the men hear Judith scream.

Evan and Trask enter the drawing room where Minerva once again holds Judith at knifepoint.  She's coming at me with a knife! cries Judith.  I can't see her, says Evan.  This upsets Judith terribly.  Minerva puts down the knife and sits down.  Perhaps she'll take up her sewing again, says Trask, then tells Evan--sometimes she sews, Judith tells me.  I wish I did see Minerva--for your sake, says Evan.  Quentin saw her, says Judith.  Quentin is away, says Evan.  He told me he was Quentin, says Judith, and I do see HER--unless I'm. . .    Mad? asks Trask--no, not mad, just burdened.  He takes her by the shoulders and says, I have a paper that will lift much of that burden from you as soon as you sign it.  I can't read anything now, she says.  There's no need to read it, just sign it, says Trask.  You must trust us, says Evan, we are the only ones you have.  I must discuss it with Edward, says Judith.  "Edward?" asks Evan--"Did she says Edward?"  You see? says Trask--it gets worse all the time.  Why shouldn't I discuss it with Edward? asks Judith.  Edward is dead, says Evan.
No, protests Judith, Carl is dead.  Edward died in Bangor, Carl is in Europe, says Trask.  Carl is in Europe, repeats Judith, Edward is. . .   Dead, both men tell her.  Why don't I remember? asks Judith--"Everything is going to pieces, I want it to stop!"  It will stop when you sign the paper, says Trask.  Sign the paper, agrees Evan.  Judith looks over her shoulder and spots Minerva, watching and waiting--what is she waiting for?  Sign the paper, says Trask, it's the only way I can rid of you of this phantom that doesn't exist.  He puts a pen into Judith's hand.  "Sign the paper, Judith--sign the paper," he says.  She does.  It's done says Trask, thanking Evan--I'll walk you to the door.  Evan bids Judith goodbye--I hope you feel better soon, he says.  Judith, scared, stares forward as Minerva looks on balefully.

Out in the foyer, Trask requests that Evan start the ceremony soon.  As soon as I get home, promises Evan.  Good, says Trask, gazing with satisfaction at the paper.  They agree their creation served them very well.  "Master of Collinwood" exults Trask, and with that paper, no one can dispute me.  Master of Collinwood as long as she remains "ill," Evan reminds him, putting a hand on his shoulder.  She will remain ill for a long, long time, Trask assures him.  Evan leaves.  Trask returns to the drawing room where Judith sits at the desk, seemingly in a trance.  Minerva watches.  "Dear Judith," Trask says.  "Winter comes early this year," says Judith in an eerie voice.  "I hate snow, Carl.  I don't want to play in the snow--it's quiet, like death--Edward's dead, did you know that, Carl?  I don't remember.  Don't bury me in the snow, Carl, don't bury me.  Don't bury me alive."  Trask caresses her shoulder.

Evan's home - The lawyer has lit his black candles and is wearing his robe.  As he reverses the Minerva ghost spell, someone (another actor) runs in front of him, yelling, Jesus!, but Evan doesn't falter.  He summons the prince of darkness and says, I'm content with you, but now want to leave you in peace, allow you to retire without noise and no further evil.

Trask leads Judith to the tower room, Minerva following behind.  Judith says, she must go, at once, I dismissed her--good ladies' maids are hard to find, she says, she must go, she talks nonsense.  Can you hear her talking? asks Trask.  She says, "Beware of berries in the early spring," says Judith.  "They can be poisonous.  In the winter, the snows are deep.  Send her away at one or I will dismiss you," says Judith, looking at Minerva.  "Please hear me--she frightens me."
Evan dismisses the spirit of darkness, saying it must do as I say because I summoned you--disobey or I will smite you eternally--begone!

Tower room - Fearfully, Judith tells Trask, Minerva is going to do something to me--she thinks I stole from her--make her go away! Cries Judith, burying her face in her hands.  And at that very moment, Minerva fades away.  Look at me, Judith, says Trask.  She does--"She's gone!" cries Judith.  "Yes, and now I must go, too," says Trask.  "You can't leave me here," insists Judith--I don't like this place.  You must stay here for a while, says Trask.  No, begs Judith, you can't leave me here, it frightens me!  He grabs her arms--why are you making this so difficult? He demands--I'm trying to help you and you become more and more impossible--next thing you know, Minerva will be back, and Rachel, too, and Dirk--and all the dead!  He leaves her standing there, horrified at his words.  He closes the door and locks it.  She backs away, staring around, waiting for other apparitions to appear.

Evan is removing his robe when Trask comes over.  "Done and done quickly--I like that," says Evan.  It couldn't have worked more smoothly, praises Trask, the specter disappeared when we reached the tower.  Evan asks, will poor, dear dead Edward object?. Trask smiles--what good would it do--I'm the lady's husband and sole guardian of the estate--unless your contract has a loophole in it.  It doesn't, Evan assures him--now, about my cut...I've drawn up another paper (he takes it out).  Too much, objects Trask.  But my contribution to Judith's present condition, reminds Evan, was very important, and flawlessly executed.  Trask reads the paper and agrees--I'll give you what you want, as long as you continue to help me if I need it--like if she begins to regain her senses, I'd want you to bring back Minerva, and Rachel and Dirk--she could create a whole roomful of spirits!  Remember what I said, says Trask.  Remember what I want, says Evan.  Agreed, says Trask.  They bid each other goodnight.  Trask looks with satisfaction at the paper.

Quentin enters Evan's house.  The lawyer recognizes--"the mark of that cursed hand!" accuses Quentin--but it changed you back--I knew it would, that's why I came here
--it wasn't easy, the police are all over, searching for that animal (Quentin looks at his reflection in the mirror) "and they'll find him, too, and it frightens me to think what they're going to do to him--that freak!  That hideous, unnatural being!  Evan, you've got to help me!"  Of course I will, agrees Evan.--what do you need--food, money, let me give you a drink.  I didn't come for a drink, says Q, I want the hand to change me back, too!  You'll have to go elsewhere, says Evan, I don't have the hand--it just happened.  Quentin calls him a liar and frantically begins to search Evan's place--if you don't have the hand, you don't mind me looking, the desperate man says.  Evan attacks him--I DO mind!  They struggle.  Quentin hits him over the head.  You do have the hand, he tells the unconscious Evan, and I'm going to find out where.  Quentin locates the box in Evan's desk and takes it out.  He hesitantly opens it up, revealing the hand.  Hearing someone entering Evan's house, he asks, "Who's there?"
It's a young man in an odd hat, who says, "I'll take the hand, Mr. Collins--now!"  and he holds out his hand for it.

NOTES:  Welcome, mysterious stranger, who won't be a stranger for long.  Quentin really seems to be peeling, doesn't he?  Gross!  Is Evan dead?  I sure wish he were, given how far he and Trask have gone to push poor Judith toward insanity.  One can only hope what goes around, comes around. . .

Love, Robin