Author Topic: Problems Accessing the New Board?  (Read 4680 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Problems Accessing the New Board?
« on: January 28, 2003, 06:32:54 AM »
I don't know if this goes along with what Patti mentioned earlier, but since the board transfered to its new server, I've had trouble viewing the topics and reaching the board itself.  Several times while trying to move from one post to another or jumping from one board to another, the link will fail to respond, and no matter how many times I click it, the page will not change.  Also, my screen will occasionally go blank after I've tried to do any of the above, or if I'm trying to reach the board from my bookmark.  Refreshing doesn't help; after it's finished loading, I still see only a blank white page.  I've cleared my cache repeatedly, but the problems keep happening. Is it my computer, or are other people experiencing the same thing?

ProfStokes

P.S.--In an unrelated matter, I'm curious as to when/if the board will be able to accept new members.  Any idea, moderators?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Accessing the New Board?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 08:12:51 AM »
Also, my screen will occasionally go blank after I've tried to do any of the above, or if I'm trying to reach the board from my bookmark. ... Is it my computer, or are other people experiencing the same thing?

This was a problem that was happening after the move to the new server but before I opened access back up again. I wasn't able to access any pages except for the error messages that come up whenever someone tries to access the forum using an Url longer than http://www.dsboards.com/ or http://www.dsboards.com. It was caused by the fact that the compression method that was supported by our old host isn't supported by our new one. However, as soon as I realized what was happening and changed the forum's setting to no compression, all pages became accessible again. I even made a point of having both Midnite and Dom navigate around the forum on their own to make sure that there weren't any other problems I wasn't aware of. They found none. So unfortunately, I can't honestly explain why you should be getting blank pages. Sorry. :(

Several times while trying to move from one post to another or jumping from one board to another, the link will fail to respond, and no matter how many times I click it, the page will not change.

On the other hand, this sounds like a connection issue. It could be a bottleneck somewhere along the path from your ISP to the server. Or it could be that due to excess traffic on the Web your throughput drops drastically to the point that your browser isn't receiving/sending a response from/to the server. I can't say how many times I've been frustrated by that very thing happening to me on any number of different sites I regularly visit. I usually log out of my ISP, log back in, and then the sites respond normally again. You might try to see if that works for you too.

P.S.--In an unrelated matter, I'm curious as to when/if the board will be able to accept new members.  Any idea, moderators?

Funny you should bring this up because Midnite, Dom and I have been discussing that very subject tonight. Our interim host's default bandwidth per month is five times what it was on our old host, so I'm happy to report that guest access and registration to be reopening very soon. :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 03:35:26 AM »

....whenever someone tries to access the forum using an Url longer than http://www.dsboards.com/ or http://www.dsboards.com.

Now you know I've gotta ask:
What difference does the / make in the address(s)?
Patti

What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 03:54:38 AM »
What difference does the / make in the address(s)?

None. But some browsers (like Netscape) add it automatically. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 07:59:45 AM »
We've discovered tonight from a member that their Norton Personal Firewall software has been causing the forum to behave screwy. Are any of you running a firewall on your computers (other than ZoneAlarm, because I run that one and it doesn't seem to affect the forum in any way)? If so, perhaps it might be to blame for your problems...

And BTW, all of you should be running a personal firewall whenever you're connected to the Internet. I don't want to make paranoid those of you who don't, but you really have no idea just how often your computer is possibly being probed when you're online.

If any of you are interested in installing a good free firewall, check out the ZoneAlarm Home Page[/url]. You can also purchase the feature rich pro version there (though the free version is adequate for most people's needs).

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 08:05:06 AM »
I'm using the Sygate firewall, and haven't experienced any problems at all. Things seem to be running very smoothly for me.

I do notice that when I check new messages, the lines of text are double-spaced instead of single-spaced, which is a little harder on the eyes. Know why that is?

--Mark[/color][/b]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 03:40:30 AM »
We've discovered tonight from a member that their Norton Personal Firewall software has been causing the forum to behave screwy.

I just installed Norton...is it me you're talking about (paranoid Patti).... ?!? :o
Actually, this is the first time in 3 weeks I've not been having problems.

MB...uh...as far as the firewall you mentioned...uh, is free good...like, don'tcha kinda get what you pay for (no disrespect to our MBenefactor), but does anyone know what I mean?? ?!?

BTW...for anyone purchasing XP..when I bought the above mentioned Norton firewall, their book mentions that :
"Windows XP includes a firewall (italics theirs, not mine) that can interfere with Norton Personal Firewall protection features. You must disable the Windows XP firewall before installing Norton Personal Firewall".

(natch...mine WASN'T highlighted/clicked off to firewall).

So, even if you're getting the two different firewalls mentioned AND you're running XP...see if you can get info about XP's firewall interfering.

Patti

PS...my daughter had been on 'puter earlier...when I just went back on (had been online the whole time), I saw an exclamation mark on firewall icon, I clicked it and it told me a computer w/trojan horse...whatever, so I'm very glad I got it :D
What a Woman!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 06:15:48 AM »
BTW...for anyone purchasing XP..when I bought the above mentioned Norton firewall, their book mentions that :
"Windows XP includes a firewall (italics theirs, not mine) that can interfere with Norton Personal Firewall protection features. You must disable the Windows XP firewall before installing Norton Personal Firewall".
I've got a Dell with Windows XP and with all this talk of firewalls, I checked to see what I had. My brother had to help me find out HOW to find out what I had. Mine just says Internet Connect Firewall.
(natch...mine WASN'T highlighted/clicked off to firewall).
Mine wasn't clicked "ON" either so  I clicked that I wanted firewall in use.  And, as my brother says, I don't use the computer for personal financial use or for work, so there would be no need to get another firewall. He said what came with the computer was good enough for what I do.

Carol

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 12:07:33 PM »
MB...uh...as far as the firewall you mentioned...uh, is free good...like, don'tcha kinda get what you pay for (no disrespect to our MBenefactor), but does anyone know what I mean?? ?!?

Not in the case of the free version of ZoneAlarm. I have it and I'm quite pleased with the way it works. In fact, when I first installed it, I ran the port security scan tests provided on broadbandreports.com to see if it was as good as the ZoneAlarm Web site claims it is, and was very happy to receive these results for the short test:

and these for the long:

What more could I possibly ask of a firewall? ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2003, 04:23:01 AM »
Okay...I think I've got a handle on my problem w/access.

If I'm on, then click on the home icon, it gives me a sorry Patti, no go, new address is www.dsboards.com/  (hello, this IS the address).
Plus, since this kicks me out, I'm not logging out w/in my 60 minutes, so....
I have to wait to come back.
Again, this is if I'm logged in, accessing, but click home.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2003, 04:44:43 AM »
If I'm on, then click on the home icon, it gives me a sorry Patti, no go, new address is www.dsboards.com/  (hello, this IS the address).
Plus, since this kicks me out, I'm not logging out w/in my 60 minutes, so....
I have to wait to come back.
Again, this is if I'm logged in, accessing, but click home.

Patti,

Not being able to return to the Home page and having that same error message come up, after already being logged onto the forum, is exactly what the other poster described before discovering that the problem was caused by their firewall.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2003, 11:28:10 PM »
But this started happening BEFORE I had  any firewall installed :(

Patti

Hey...can you run a ??thing?? to see when I'm on and how I'm logging out...okay,,,it's 3:28pm eastern time now; I'll try doing the thing/home.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2003, 06:53:19 AM »
What Patti's been describing just happened to me.
But I was able to get right back in at once.
And I'm told that we have no firewall here right now.
?!?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2003, 09:23:38 AM »
...can you run a ??thing?? to see when I'm on and how I'm logging out...okay,,,it's 3:28pm eastern time now; I'll try doing the thing/home.

The log reports the same info that I e-mailed to you earlier. Unfortunately, there really isn't any more info that I can provide you. :(

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2003, 09:29:15 AM »
we have no firewall here

The MB shrieks in horror at that statement!!

You should really consider installing one. But probably not Norton Personal Firewall. ;)

But I was able to get right back in at once.

Happily for you that means the same situation that exists with Patti isn't happening to you. :)