Author Topic: Custodian of the 12 days???  (Read 2510 times)

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
Custodian of the 12 days???
« on: January 24, 2003, 09:49:30 PM »
This was said during Magda's incantation with the Counts hand in hand?
Ok, what the hell does that mean? [hdscrt] Where do the writers come up with this stuff? [hdscrt]  
Do you think when a scene requires an "incantation"  the actors make it up as they go along?  
Custodian of the 12 days, indeed![ghost]
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Custodian of the 12 days???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 10:00:04 PM »
That one cracked me up too.  Unless she was referring to Christmas, I haven't a clue.  I've got a library full of books with incantations in them and that's definitely not among them!!

I'm sure the actors didn't make them up....that's up to the writers (and neither Union would allow it! ;) )!!

The only criteria I think the writers followed was to say nothing that would offend the Judeo-Christian clergy and faithful. "Custodian of the 12 Days" seems harmless in that regard!

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Custodian of the 12 days???blessed by the custodians of the 12 days
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 10:30:29 PM »
Ok, what the hell does that mean? [hdscrt] Where do the writers come up with this stuff? [hdscrt]

LOL.  Most of the Romani gypsies were either Eastern Orthodox Christians or Roman Catholics, and the 12 days refers to the Orthodox Christmas.  "Blessed by the custodians of the 12 days" refers to their church leaders, whom they call custodians, which is like a sexton.

What I wonder is who are the slaughtered nine?  Does it have to do with the Tsar's family that was murdered?

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 02:36:06 AM »
That one cracked me up too.  Unless she was referring to Christmas, I haven't a clue.  I've got a library full of books with incantations in them and that's definitely not among them!!

I'm sure the actors didn't make them up....that's up to the writers (and neither Union would allow it! ;) )!!

rainey

oh my do you use these often and please share there are some nasty people at work... oh well

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Custodian of the 12 days???blessed by the custodians of the 12 days
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 12:40:14 AM »

What I wonder is who are the slaughtered nine?  Does it have to do with the Tsar's family that was murdered?

LOL!! Midnite, I was thinking the same thing! As soon as I heard that line, I wondered where the heck that came from?!  Maybe it was the Tsar's family though, that would make some sense to me.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 01:42:07 AM »
There were seven members in the Tsar's family....but I'm aware of at least 2 others who went into exile with the family.....Alexei's doctor and one of the Tsarina's ladies-in-waiting.  I'm not sure if there were more than 2.  The Russian Orthodox church considers all the members of the Romanov family to be Martyrs of the Faith...and I imagine the same would hold for others who were murdered with them.  Sounds like they make a plausable "slaughtered nine".  I wonder who among the writers at DS KNEW about this stuff?  Do you suppose they had 'gypsy' consultants on call?

rainey....who loves a good excuse for poking around among the REALLY dusty books in her study!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 01:49:19 AM »
The Czar and his family weren't gypsies were they?

SPOILER***********************************

I am under the impression that Count Petofi slaughtered nine gypsies and was turned into a werewolf because of this? Hence the slaughtered nine...am I wrong (as usual, lol)?  

dom

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 02:01:52 AM »

Czar Nicholas, his wife, son and 4 daughters were executed in July, 1918.  

The DS timeline here is 1897, so Magda must be talking about some other poor folk who were executed.  Unless the Romanovs were who the incantation was referring to and the writers on DS didn't stop and think of the time contradiction.

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja
[/shadow]
[/size]

According to one on line source, 4 of their servants were executed with them.
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 02:03:00 AM »
No Dom....you're probably not wrong!  We're making this stuff up as we go along!!!

Tho, it's pretty well documented that the favorite entertainment at wild young Russian aristocrat's parties were gypsy dancing girls.  So while there were no Romanovs who would admit to being gypsy.....there were almost certainly gypsies who claimed to be Romanov!

And of course Minja is absolutely correct.....the time line is completely wrong.....but when did the writers ever let a little thing like the space-time continuum stop them?

raineypark

Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 04:26:25 AM »
The Russian Orthodox church considers all the members of the Romanov family to be Martyrs of the Faith...and I imagine the same would hold for others who were murdered with them.  Sounds like they make a plausable "slaughtered nine".  I wonder who among the writers at DS KNEW about this stuff?

Problem is, the Romanov family was alive and well in 1897. They didn't die until 1917.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 04:28:45 AM »
Thanks, Minja.  I guess 1918 sorta rules that out, huh? ;)

There were seven members in the Tsar's family....but I'm aware of at least 2 others who went into exile with the family.....Alexei's doctor and one of the Tsarina's ladies-in-waiting.  I'm not sure if there were more than 2.  The Russian Orthodox church considers all the members of the Romanov family to be Martyrs of the Faith...and I imagine the same would hold for others who were murdered with them.  Sounds like they make a plausable "slaughtered nine".  I wonder who among the writers at DS KNEW about this stuff?  Do you suppose they had 'gypsy' consultants on call?

I thought of the Romanovs cuz Magda had made a reference to the Russian Orthodox's Twelve Days, and they were slaughtered by the Bolsheviks and it wasn't long ago that nine bodies were found (purportedly The Tsar, his wife, 3 of their 5 children, a doctor and 3 servants), but I had no idea of the timeline, oops.  But I guess it's also possible that the writer was boning up on gypsy history, saw that many of them were Russian Orthodox, and made the same leap?

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 05:08:06 AM »

Actually, Midnite, it turns out you made a connection with Dark Shadows and Czar Nicholas afterall....allbeit in another topic!

Czar Nicholas' mother was Marie Fyodorovna Romanova, formerly Dagmar, Princess of Denmark!
And in your post under Alexandra Moltke several days back you mentioned her father was Danish Count Carl Adam Moltke!  So despite a degree of seperation or so, there is a DS/Romanov family connection!

Would've been cool if the writers had added a character in a later story time line that included/alluded to the missing Princess Anastasia!

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja
[/shadow]
[/size]

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 05:29:16 AM »
I am under the impression that Count Petofi slaughtered nine gypsies and was turned into a werewolf because of this? Hence the slaughtered nine...am I wrong (as usual, lol)?  

Dom -- That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure how you came up with your theory as I don't remember hearing what Petofi had done to anger the gypsies. Maybe I missed an episode last time when this was referred to.

****SPOILER******

Is it ever explained how Petofi is cured of his lycanthropy (or whatever it is)? By sacrificing his hand?

Jennifer -- If you don't get the incantations you need regarding people at work, I do have a charm in Finnish (with translation) to prevent frozen fingers!

Midnite -- very illuminating comments about the Custodian of the 12 Days (despite the historical detour on the Romanov family, though that made for some interesting reading anyway  ;))!

Your comment shows that the DS writers possessed some interesting knowledge ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 06:38:27 PM »
Jennifer -- If you don't get the incantations you need regarding people at work, I do have a charm in Finnish (with translation) to prevent frozen fingers!

Vlad thanks i could use them right now it was -2 degrees
this am when i went out to clean off my car!
Give me back the [sun] and those 90 degree days

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 06:43:29 PM »
Spoilers herein:

Dom -- That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure how you came up with your theory as I don't remember hearing what Petofi had done to anger the gypsies. Maybe I missed an episode last time when this was referred to.

I don't know where I come up with this stuff. I am usually wrong but somewhat close. I think I remember it being said at some point that Petofi murdered a bunch of gypsies, thus starting the conflict between the two.

****SPOILER******

Is it ever explained how Petofi is cured of his lycanthropy (or whatever it is)? By sacrificing his hand?

Yes. No.

Dom