Author Topic: #0063/0064: Robservations 07/02/01: Who Isn't Capable of Murder?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #63 - Once again it is quiet in Collinwood--there is no sound but the ticking of the great clock in the entrance hall--and the lonely footsteps of a woman who hasn't left its grounds in 18 years--a woman whose life is limited to musty corridors, and the endless beat of a grandfather clock--a beat that seems to ignore the vitality of the world around it.

Liz comes downstairs at Collinwood and glances at the clock before entering the drawing room.

Joe and Carolyn enter the crowded Blue Whale, where she tells him she'll have a double champagne on the rocks--if he promises to drink it out of her slipper. Joe looks down at her feet and says it would be kind of hard with those little strappy things she's wearing. Practical Joe Haskell, the man with the literal mind, she teases. The bartender comes over and Joe orders a beer. Carolyn settles for ginger ale instead of champagne. Joe asks her if she wants to dance, he needs the exercise, but she says no, and seems depressed. The music is awfully loud tonight, she complains. No louder than usual, says Joe. Can't you get somebody to turn it down? she asks him. It's not the jukebox, says Joe. I'm not making all that noise, she says. It's not the music, either, he says. Then what's banging in my head--would you mind telling me? she asks, whining. A dead man, he says, Bill Malloy. She looks dejected, restless, unhappy.

The bartender brings over the drinks. Joe returns to the table and assures her they're going to turn down the volume. Hurray for my side, she says. I'm a flop, a complete failure, he says. Aren't we all? she asks. I went up to Collinwood, says Joe, took you out for the day, and you know why? Sure, because you love me, she says. That I do everyday, he says, but today was something different--I was going to try to get you to stop thinking about Malloy. That's easy, she says, snapping her fingers--I stopped. We had a few laughs, we even had dinner, says Joe, now look at us--we're trying like crazy, nothing works. You're sweet guy, she says. Oh, yeah, sure, he says, I wish just once I could see you smile. She smiles, falsely, then frowns. Is that the best you can do? he asks. I can't stop thinking about it, she says, I still can't understand how it could have happened! He fell in the water and drowned, says Joe. Do you really believe that? she asks. He did drown, everybody knows that, says Joe--why don't we just be smart and stop talking about it? It just seems so strange! says Carolyn. Nothing strange about it, says Joe, he just slipped on the rocks somewhere and he fell, it could happen to anybody. I suppose, she says. What do you think it could be--you don't think somebody pushed him in, do you? asks Joe. No, she says, smiling, of course not, that's ridiculous--all right, you wanted to dance--let's do it! They get up and begin to dance, joining another couple on the floor.

9:10 - Matthew enters the drawing room with an armload of wood and finds Liz sitting in a chair. He puts down the logs by the fireplace and asks if she's all right. I guess so, she says, thank you. Thinking about Mr. Malloy won't bring him back, he tells her. I know that, she says. I guess it's hard not to think about it, ain't it? he asks. Yes, she agrees, sighing. If there's anything I can do, anything at all, he says, about to leave, but she asks him a question: When you found Bill's body at the foot of the cliff, before you pushed him out to sea again, you said there were no marks on him--you're sure of that? There were no marks on him, none at all, says Matthew. Thank you, says Liz, wandering to the window and opening it. She looks out, her face sad. Matthew asks her if somebody said different. The sheriff, says Liz, he was here again today. I wish they'd never found that body again! says Matthew hotly. Liz looks at him. It's true, they'll never stop hounding you now, he adds. The sheriff is only doing his job, says Liz. Bill Malloy was always real nice to me, says Matthew, but that's why I pushed him back into the water, to keep people from pesterin' ya--is that what they're saying, somebody killed him or something like that? No, says Liz. Then why would you be asking me about marks on his body? asks Matthew. There was an autopsy report, says Liz, he did die of drowning, but there was also evidence of a blow on his dead. Must have happened later, says Matthew, after I pushed him off Widows' Hill, the current must have banged him up against the rocks. That's what the sheriff thought, says Liz. Why are you so worried about it? Matthew asks--poor Mr. Malloy will be buried and everything will go on like it was. I wish it were that simple, says Liz. I don't understand, says Matthew, if the sheriff thinks he died a natural death, wouldn't that be the end of anymore questions?. From the sheriff, possibly, says Liz. Are you sayin' someone else will still be hounding you? asks Matthew. I don't think it will ever stop, she says, ever.

Blue Whale - The bartender gives out drinks to the patrons, shmoozes and laughs. Maggie, hair up, wearing a conservative suit, looking pretty, enters the bar. Joe is telling Carolyn that no one would have any reason to hurt Mr. Malloy. I know, says Carolyn. Then just stop thinking that way, says Joe. Hi, kids, Maggie greets them. What brings you to this den? asks Carolyn. What do you mean? asks Maggie, this den is my father's exclusive club--do you mind if I join you? No, says Joe, standing, pulling out the chair for her, how is your dad? That's just what I was going to ask you, says Maggie, I was wondering if you'd seen him around. We haven't been around, says Carolyn mock-dreamily, we've been roaming the countryside in a hopeless search for peace and tranquillity--what happened to your dad, did he run away from home? Have you seen Burke Devlin? Maggie asks Joe, ignoring Carolyn's levity. No, says Joe. I was sure my dad was here, says Maggie desperately. What's happened? asks Carolyn--is anything wrong? Nothing much, replies Maggie, standing--if you do see him, or Burke, would you let me know? Sure, says Carolyn, but is there anything we can do? Yes, if you see Burke Devlin, says Maggie sourly, tell him to pack his bags and go back to wherever he came from. Oh, that would be a real pleasure, says Joe. What do you have against Burke? asks Carolyn. The end of the world, says Maggie, things were pretty nice around here for my dad and me until he showed up. I don't know what you're talking about, says Carolyn. You will, Maggie assures her--in a little while, it will be all over town--everybody will know--but the thing is, it's not true, I know it's not. Has Devlin been hounding your father? asks Joe. That's what gets me, says Maggie--it's your family he's after, not mine! Burke's not after anybody's family, says Carolyn. You live in Collinwood and can still say that? asks Maggie. Maggie...begins Carolyn, annoyed, then adds, I wish I knew what you were talking about. Maybe nothing, says Maggie, but I think it's about time I found out for sure
--if you do see my dad, you can tell him I've decided to pay a visit to his comrade in crime. She leaves. Joe and Carolyn looks at each other, perplexed.

Collinwood drawing room - Matthew asks Liz if Burke Devlin will still be bothering her with this Malloy business. I'm afraid so, yes, says Liz. He's got no right to be digging up everything that happens around here and making trouble out of it, grumbles Matthew. Liz turns to him and says he knows the situation as well as she does. I know, says Matthew, he's no good, that one--no good at all. He's an unhappy man, says Liz--he thinks he's been wrongly treated. What do you think he'll do? asks Matthew. I don't know, sighs Liz, I imagine he'll use Bill Malloy's death to make accusations--and there's nothing any of us could do to stop him. His face ugly, Matthew asks why he ever came back--why didn't he stay where he was?
--you're worried about him, aren't you? Yes I am, she admits, but don't you worry, we'll survive and will continue to survive. Yes, ma'am, he says. Thank you for your concern, she says, you're a good friend. He smiles and says yes, ma'am again, then leaves, first looking back at her one more time. She leaves the widow and walks to the foyer, checking the ticking clock. She is about to go upstairs when someone knocks. It's Maggie, who asks to come in.

Maggie, clutching a pair of gloves and a purse, asks if Mr. Collins is home. Liz asks if her brother is expecting you, Miss...? Evans, Maggie Evans, supplies the young woman--no, he wasn't expecting me--but it's very important, I'm very anxious to talk to him. Wait inside, says Liz, I'll see if he's upstairs. Maggie thanks her and enters the foyer. Liz closes the doors. Liz directs Maggie to the drawing room, and Maggie again thanks her. (I guess the conservative dress was for Collinwood/Roger's benefit.) Liz, about to go upstairs, instead joins Maggie in the drawing room. Miss Evans, she says, startling Maggie, who said she thought Liz had gone upstairs. Are you Sam Evans' daughter? asks Liz. Yes I am, says Maggie. Then perhaps you had better tell me what you wanted to tell Mr. Collins, says Liz. I wanted to talk to him, says Maggie. About your father? asks Liz. Yes, says Maggie. Does it also involve Burke Devlin? asks Liz. It took a little courage to come up, here, says Maggie--I've lived in Collinsport all my life, but I've never been within a quarter mile of this place--now that I am here, I want to talk to the man I came to see. You haven't answered my question, says Liz--you didn't tell me whether it involves Burke Devlin. Liz sits on the sofa. Yes it does, says Maggie, sitting next to her, Mrs. Stoddard, he made certain accusations about my father--I want to find out if they're true. Why come here, why not asks your father? queries Liz. Did you know that there was a meeting in your brother's office the night Bill Malloy died? asks Maggie. Yes, says Liz, your father was there, my brother, and Burke Devlin. Do you know why Mr. Malloy asked my father to come to that meeting? asks Maggie. No I don't, says Liz. Do you know why Burke says that my father was asked to be there? Maggie asks. Yes I do, says Liz. Well? demands Maggie. What would you like me to say? asks Liz. Maggie stands and says, I always wondered what it was like in here--it seemed so cold and dark on the outside, well, it's no different in this room!--Burke accused my father of withholding evidence, allowing him to go to prison for a crime your brother committed. I know, says Liz--I'm aware he's been saying that. How can you stand there so calmly? asks Maggie--I don't know how you feel about your brother, but my father's very important to me, I love him and can't believe that he... I'm sorry if I seem unconcerned, interrupts Liz, but frankly, I didn't know what the motive was for your coming here. I've got to find out the truth, can't you see that? asks Maggie gently. Yes I can, says Liz, but I'd think your father would be able to answer your questions. But Mrs. Stod...I'm so confused, I don't know what is and isn't true anymore. What does your father say? asks Liz. I don't know, replies Maggie, I haven't seen him since Burke told me--I've got to see Mr. Collins, please! I'll see if he's in his room, promises Liz. She leaves. Maggie hears the clock ticking, and she stands in the foyer, a prim, properly dressed, very upset young woman. The camera pans back, making her look smaller and smaller.

Blue Whale - Joe tells Carolyn to wait while he pays the bill. Make it quick, she says, I'm kind of anxious to get home. I'll be right with you, Joe assures her. Matthew enters and Carolyn cheerily greets him. He grins at her, saying good evening. She says she didn't know he ever came in here. I don't, he says, this is something special--you didn't happen to see Burke Devlin around here, did ya? No, she says, what do you want with him? Nothin' for you to worry about, Miss, he says--guess he'll be in sooner or later--you going back up to Collinwood from here? Yes, she says. When you see your mother, he instructs, tell her something for me--tell her I said everything is going to be all right--she'll know what I mean. Carolyn says she would like to know what he means. Bill Malloy, Miss, he says, the whole business. He walks away. OK, all set, says Joe. Carolyn tells Joe that Matthew just came in and is waiting for Burke--he seemed so strange. You let him wait for his friends, suggests Joe, holding her in his arms, and you stay with yours, OK?--he kisses her. They leave the bar. Matthew, frowning, sits at a table.

The bartender sets a beer in front of Matthew. Carolyn and Joe return to the bar; he's complaining that she first wanted to get home, then insisted he bring her back. I'm sorry, but I'm worried, she says. About what? he asks. She says she doesn't know, and sits with Matthew and says she has to ask him something. I thought you went home, he says. That's where I thought we were going, agrees Joe--hello, Matthew. Why do you want to see Burke? Carolyn asks the handyman. Why not? asks Joe, he's such a charming fella, everybody likes him. Cut it out, orders Carolyn--to Matthew, she says, you said something about Bill Malloy--what does it have to do with Burke? Nothing you or your mother will have to worry about, says Matthew. What are you going to do? asks Carolyn. Keep trouble from your mother, he replies--take her home, Joe. What kind of trouble do you mean? asks Carolyn. Your mother's all upset about Bill Malloy, says Matthew, that's bad enough, but Devlin's trying to make it worse. Why, asks Joe, sitting in a chair, what's he doing? Same thing he's always doing since he came back to Collinsport, says Matthew, I warned him once, told him to stay away from your family, to stop digging up things that were none of his business. But you're wrong about him! insists Carolyn. Please, says Matthew, let Joe take you home. Burke doesn't want to hurt anybody, says Carolyn. He's done it, says Matthew, Mr. Malloy is dead only because of him. But he had nothing...begins Carolyn, but Joe tells her to wait a minute
--you think Devlin had something to do with Mr. Malloy's death? That's ridiculous, proclaims Carolyn--he drowned accidentally! You weren't so sure a few minutes ago, Joe reminds her, the way you were talking to me. I know, says Carolyn, but... Matthew, is that what you think?--that Burke killed Mr. Malloy? Just do as I ask, please, says Matthew--tell your mother everything will be straightened out.

Liz returns to Maggie in the drawing room and tells her Roger isn't at home. I suppose I'll have to come back some other time, then, says Maggie. You certainly can come back if you want to, says Liz, but I see no reason for it. How can you say that? demands Maggie. I know how distressed you are, believe me, says Liz--when I first heard Burke's accusations, I was just as upset as you--but they're absolutely false-- not one word of truth to them. How can I be sure of that? asks Maggie. Because I tell you so, says Liz gently--you say you love your father--then believe him and have faith in him. I want to, says Maggie. Burke Devlin is a destructive man, says Liz, he's angry and bitter, don't forget that. But why would he lie about my father? asks Maggie. I don't know, perhaps for some strange reason, it suits his purpose to do so, suggests Liz. But that doesn't make sense! says Maggie--your brother testified against Burke in court--I can see why he would want to get even--but why implicate my father? Burke has absolutely no reason to get even, as you put it, says Liz--my brother testified under oath and told the truth. But that still doesn't explain about my father, says Maggie. I've answered your questions as best I can, says Liz, starting to lose patience, I have nothing more to add, I'm sorry. All right, says Maggie, beaten, and she takes her gloves and purse from the sofa--thank you, she says coolly. Miss Evans, do you know what kind of man you're dealing with? asks Liz.
All I know, says Maggie, is that my father and Burke used to be good friends. Do you think that matters to him now? asks Liz (Carolyn comes in)--do you think he'd let friendship stand in the way?--Burke Devlin's goals are set for him--what they are, heaven knows, and I don't know how he expected to achieve them, but I do know this--nothing's going to stop him--he'd lie, cheat, and even slander an innocent man. What about murder? asks Carolyn--Mother, I asked you question--do you think Burke is capable of committing murder? Yes I do, says Liz firmly. Carolyn walks past her without another word. Liz goes to the door to let Maggie out.

NOTES: So now BURKE is a suspect in Malloy's murder? That makes no sense, given that Bill promised to clear Devlin of the manslaughter charges. Burke had every reason to want to see Bill Malloy stay alive, and he's been bothering the sheriff to find out the truth about what happened. I think Liz wants Carolyn to think badly about Burke, but nothing seems to shake that girl's liking for him.

Poor Maggie, getting all dressed up in big girl's clothing and trying to find out what's going on with her father--the truth about this entire mess. Liz believes Roger completely, foolish, loving sister that she is, but Carolyn stubbornly holds onto her belief that Burke is a good guy in spite of everything. Odd thing is, Carolyn is right--but Burke has no finesse at all in dealing with people. I guess he lost his finesse in prison.

What is Matthew up to? Is he planning to warn Burke--or more? Is he considering pushing him off Widows' Hill to his death? Matthew's adoration for Liz is obsessive, and I think he'd do anything for her--anything!

Episode #64 - When I first arrived at Collinwood, it was with hope and fear--hope that the secrets of my past would be unlocked for me, fear of the unknown that lay ahead--and now that fear has been centered on a man's death--and the endless ripples of tension it has produced.

Liz joins Carolyn in the drawing room. Is Maggie gone? asks Carolyn. Yes, says Liz--what did you do all day, dear? Why did she come here? demands Carolyn. She was upset about something, says Liz. Does Maggie Evans usually come up to Collinwood to talk to you when she's upset? asks Carolyn resentfully. It needn't concern you, says Liz. Oh, sure, says Carolyn, taking off her coat, the waitress from the hotel restaurant comes up here for the first time in her life--you give her a big earful about Burke Devlin--and all you want to talk about now is how I spent my day--I had a lousy time, trying to forget about this place, but it didn't work--why did she come up here, Mother? She was worried about her father, says Liz. And what does that have to do with Burke? asks Carolyn. Darling, I'd rather not talk about it, says Liz. I'm sorry! says Carolyn, arms crossed, but you can't tell me what I just heard you saying to Maggie, then just ask me to drop it--let me see, what were the golden words--"Burke's capable of anything--lying, cheating, even the slander of an innocent man," whatever that means--do you really believe all that? I think so, yes, says Liz. And the rest of it? asks Carolyn--you said you thought Burke capable of murder--do you believe that, too? Carolyn, please, says Liz. I know what's on your mind, says Carolyn, and it's horrible--you think Burke killed Bill Malloy, don't you? Liz looks at Carolyn, frowning.

Why don't you tell me? says Carolyn--that is what you think, isn't it?--that Burke hit Bill over the head, then pushed his body into the water? I never said that, insists Liz. You said he was capable of murder, Carolyn reminds her, what other deaths have we had around Collinsport since he came back? Bill was an accident, nobody killed him, says Liz. Then why did you say what you did? asks Carolyn. Because I was angry--I see no reason to account to you for every word I say! says Liz angrily. You also said that Burke was capable of slandering an innocent man--when I walked in here just now, what do you think you were doing? asks Carolyn. I was trying to help a troubled girl, says Liz. How?--by calling Burke a murderer, asks Carolyn, how does that help Maggie? Perhaps I did go too far, agrees Liz. But you did mean the rest of it, says Carolyn. I don't know what I mean, says Liz, irritated--I told you I was angry, and now I'm angry with you! Why? asks Carolyn, because I'm defending a man who's never done a thing to harm us? You don't know Burke as well as I do, says Liz--I'm tired of warning you about that man! Oh, yes, says Carolyn, furious, and you've warned me, all right, when the brakes failed on Uncle Roger's car, you warned me--even when we knew Burke had nothing to do with it, you still warned me--when's it going to stop--when will you accept the fact that Burke hasn't done one single thing to hurt any of us? Liz turns away and says that isn't true--then goes over to open the window. Then you do think Burke was involved with Bill Malloy's death, says Carolyn. There are many ways to be involved, points out Liz, and I believe Burke plans to use poor Bill's death to create as much difficulty for us as he can. How? asks Carolyn, what can he possibly do? I just want you to realize he's not a friend of ours, insists Liz. That doesn't answer my question--the manager of our fishing fleet drowned--how could Burke possibly use that to create problems for us? He can and will, just take my word for it, says Liz. Carolyn sighs and asks if she had said anything about this to Matthew. About what? asks Liz. All this nonsense about Burke--did you mention it to him? asks Carolyn. Why? asks Liz. I ran into Matthew at the Blue Whale just before I left to come home--he was looking for Burke, explains Carolyn. Matthew was looking for Burke? asks Liz. Yes, says Carolyn, and he asked me to give you a message--I didn't know what it meant at the time--but I think I do now--he said to tell you everything is going to be all right--that there wouldn't be anymore trouble.

Blue Whale, crowded - Matthew still sits at the same table. Burke enters and asks him what he's doing here--has he seen Collins in here tonight? Nope, says Matthew. How long since you came down from the hill? asks Burke. Half an hour, replies Matthew. He hadn't come home by the time you left? asks Burke. No, says Matthew. OK, thanks, says Burke, and starts to walk away, but Matthew grabs his wrist and orders him to stay here. Sorry, I haven't got the time, says Burke. I want you to stay, says Matthew. Let go of my arm, demands Burke. I've been sittin' here waitin' for you, says Matthew, now you and me are going to have a talk. Look, I've got nothing to say to you, says Burke. Maybe I've got a little something to tell you, says Matthew, not releasing Burke--sit down. Get your hand off my arm, commands Burke. Matthew lets him go. Now, what's all this about? asks Burke. Bill Malloy, says Matthew--you and Bill Malloy. Burke sits down--what have you got on your mind? he asks.

Are you sure he's not there? asks Liz, annoyed--but my daughter saw him there about--how long ago since you left the Blue Whale? she asks Carolyn, who tells her 20 minutes, half an hour ago--he was there about half an hour ago, says Liz into the phone--if he does come in, will you ask him to call Mrs. Stoddard?--thank you. Maybe he's changed his mind, decided not to be your avenging angel, says Carolyn. In had no idea he would do a thing like this, says Liz. What did you say to him? asks Carolyn. I rally don't know, says Liz, we were talking about Bill Malloy, and I said I thought Burke would continue trying to find reasons for Bill's death. And I suppose you said that worried and upset you, that kind of thing, says Carolyn, rolling her eyes. I can't believe he intends to harm Burke, says Liz. Why should that worry you? asks Carolyn--he's an enemy of our family, isn't he? Foolish of me, I should have known, says Liz. Maybe he is on the way home, suggests Carolyn. What did he say to you? asks Liz. I told you--that he wanted to keep trouble away from you, he wanted to see Burke, because if it weren't for Burke, Bill Malloy would still be alive. I never said anything like that, Liz assures her, believe me. So he decided it for himself from what you did tell him, says Carolyn--what difference does it make? He's a fine, loyal man, says Liz, but I know he wouldn't hurt anyone. Don't kid yourself, says Carolyn, shaking her head--if Matthew thought anyone wanted to harm you, I think he'd tear them apart. The phone rings. Liz answers. It's Sheriff Patterson, apologizing for bothering her, but he was wondering if she'd seen or heard anything of Burke tonight. No, says Liz, why? He's on a kind of a rampage and I thought he might have headed your way to talk to your brother, says Patterson. He hasn't been here, says Liz. If he does show up, says Patterson, do yourself a favor and let me know?
What do you expect he might do? asks Liz. You can never tell with a fellow like Burke, says the sheriff, but you never know--maybe nothing, but I'm just trying to keep the peace as much as I can. I'm not afraid of him, says Liz. Sometimes being afraid is a lot better than being hurt, says Patterson--if he does show up, be sure to call me. Liz assures him she will, then says there's something else she thinks she'd better discuss with him. Something new about Bill Malloy? asks Patterson. It's connected with it, says Liz--it's about my caretaker, Matthew Morgan.

Up at Collinwood, do ya know what Mr. Stoddard is going through, on account of Bill Malloy dying? Matthew asks Burke. Why don't you tell me? suggests Burke. It's something a person wants to forget, says Matthew--an old friend dies like that, you don't want to keep thinkin' about it. Who's doing the thinking? asks Burke--Roger Collins? You'd better leave that family alone, Devlin, says Matthew--I warned you once what would happen to you if you didn't. Who sent you, Roger Collins? asks Burke. Nobody had to send me here, says Matthew. Or maybe it was Mrs. Stoddard? says Burke--she decided to protect her baby brother, is that it? She don't know I'm here, says Matthew, you heard what I told that waiter when he said she was calling and asked me to call her--first time I ever lied to her in my life (I'm more surprised the bartender lied to Liz!)--do you know why, Devlin?--because she wouldn't like what I'm going to do--she'd try to stop me. What are you gonna do? asks Burke. Kill you, says Matthew, just like I said I would if you don't stop houndin' that family. You're out of your mind, accuses Burke. No I ain't, that woman's been real good to me, and I ain't gonna stand around watchin' her sufferin' because of you, says Matthew. Look, I didn't push Bill Malloy in the water, says Burke. Maybe you didn't, says Matthew, maybe nobody did, but I know what you're after now--you want to stir it up, keep after it, make all kinds of trouble for 'em! What I want to do is find a murderer, says Burke--if it makes trouble for Mrs. Stoddard, then that's her problem, not mine. I'm warnin' ya, says Matthew, pack up your bags and get out of Collinsport and never come back! Burke rises and says he'll think about it. Matthew rises, too, lumbering, and says he doesn't want him thinkin' about it, he wants him goin'--tonight. Get off my back, orders Burke, I got troubles enough without... Don't you tell me about your troubles, commands Matthew, after what you're doin' to Mz. Stoddard. What the devil do you think she is, an angel or something? asks Burke--well she's not!--she's a neurotic woman who buried herself in a tomb for 18 years, and she likes it that way. Don't you talk about her like that! cries Matthew. And you tell her her problems are just beginning! shouts Burke--you tell her that, Matthew!--and he pokes Matthew in the chest for emphasis. You come back here! yells Matthew, again grabbing Burke's wrist, but Burke wrenches free. Matthew pursues him and the two men get into a bar brawl, Matthew pushing Burke into the bar.
Bob Rooney and another patron try to separate the two men, but the sheriff comes in at that moment and drags Matthew off Burke, who falls against the bar. Everyone is watching as Patterson orders them to break it up. He faces Matthew and Burke and tells them, "Let's get out of here." Why don't you let me catch my breath? asks Burke, fixing his tie. You'll catch it, in my office, says Patterson angrily--you, too, he tells Matthew--now move, you two! Burke leaves first, then Matthew, then Patterson. Rooney looks at the other patrons and closes the door, shaking his head.

Patterson brings the two men to his office, ordering them to sit, Burke in his own chair behind the desk, Matthew across from him. Patterson crosses his arms and says he ought to book both of them. You'd book him?--he lives at Collinwood, says Burke sarcastically. I hope that was a joke, says Patterson--all right, what started it? I warned him, says Matthew, but he wouldn't listen. You warned him about what? asks Patterson. He thinks I ought to be a good boy, says Burke, forget about Malloy's murder, pack my bags and leave town. Is that what you told him to do? Patterson asks Matthew. He's a trouble maker, gripes Morgan, ever since he came to Collinsport, he's been diggin' into things that are none of his business. Do you think these things are my business? asks Patterson angrily. No, replies Matthew. Well you're trying to choke someone is my business, says Patterson--who told you to chase Burke out of town? Nobody, insists Matthew. Do you believe that? Burke asks the sheriff, do you believe Roger Collins had nothing to do with this? Matthew slams his hand on he desk and says, "I told you it was m'own idea, nobody knew I was coming to see ya, nobody!" Just take it easy, says Patterson, calm down now! Mrs. Stoddard told me he'd be makin' trouble, says Matthew, askin' questions about Bill Malloy's drowning. And why do those questions bother you so much? asks Patterson. It ain't me
--it's them, he says, the people in the big house--he don't care about Bill, he's just tryin' to upset Mz. Stoddard and the rest of 'em!--well I told him t'was bad enough Bill dyin' like that without even givin' her a chance to forget about it. And I suppose you told him that you weren't going to let Mrs. Stoddard and the rest forget about it, says Patterson to Burke. Something like that, replies Devlin. Patterson sighs and tells Matthew to sit outside on a bench and wait until he calls him back in here. Matthew rises and asks if he's going to be arrested--he thinks Mrs. Stoddard ought to know about this. I'm going to think about it, says Patterson, now go on! Matthew leaves the office, but gives Burke a nasty look before he does. Collinwood breeds murderers, remarks Burke--he almost killed me. Where have you been tonight? asks Patterson. Around, says Burke. I thought I told you to leave the police work to me, says the sheriff. I thought you hauled me in here because of a fight in a bar, says Burke. I did, but you just now told me you weren't going to let the people up at Collinwood forget about Malloy's death, says Patterson. Murder!--Malloy's murder! says Burke, standing. I have no evidence of a murder, says Patterson, and you know it. What are you going to do, tell me the same thing as Matthew? asks Burke--pack my bags and get out of town? Don't you try it, says Patterson, not until I've got a coroner's verdict--now you listen to me--this is a police investigation, and I don't want you going around acting judge, jury and executioner! Of course not, says Burke, we'll leave that to the big slob out there on the bench. (Cold, Burke!) I don't understand you--that's a dangerous man, he tried to kill me, and you're lecturing me--now what are you going to do about him? Don't you worry about Matthew, I can handle him, says Patterson--the person I'm not so sure of is you. Burke looks at him steadily, a slight smile on his face.

Carolyn and Liz are seated on the sofa in the drawing room. Carolyn tells her mother she wishes she had told the sheriff to call her back if he found Matthew. Nothing is going to happen, Liz assures her daughter, I'm sure of that. If Matthew does anything to Burke, it will be your fault, says Carolyn, no one else's. Will you stop worrying about Burke Devlin? asks Liz imperiously. You'd like that, wouldn't you? asks Carolyn--then you could have the whole family lined up in a row, aiming their guns at him--I'm not going to be on that firing squad, tonight or ever. I hadn't intended to tell you this, says Liz, but if you're going to continue defending Burke, I'll suppose I'll have to--you asked me why Maggie Evans had come here tonight--it was because he accused her father and Uncle Roger of being involved in Bill's death. That's ridiculous, says Carolyn. I agree, says Liz, but Burke did make the accusation--not only to Miss Evans, but the sheriff as well. What did he say? asks Carolyn. Simply that Uncle Roger knowingly allowed him to go to prison for a crime he claims Uncle Roger committed. The manslaughter charge? asks Carolyn. Yes, says Liz, he also said that Mr. Evans knew Uncle Roger was guilty and didn't come forward at the time of the trial. How terrible, says Carolyn--no wonder Maggie was so upset! He said that Bill Malloy learned the facts and was going to reveal them shortly before he died, says Liz. Burke told all this to Maggie? asks Carolyn. Yes, says Liz. And was tonight the first time you'd heard about it? asks Carolyn. No, says Liz. But how could he...I mean WHY should he say these things? asks Carolyn. The fact is, he did say them, says Liz, and they're untrue. It's just so hard to believe, says Carolyn. What would you rather believe? asks her mother--that Burke is a vicious liar or that Uncle Roger knowingly permitted an innocent man to go to jail?

Tell me that again, Burke, says Patterson, I'm not sure I heard you right. I said I went to see Sam Evans tonight, says Burke. I did hear you, says Patterson, what did you do that for? I told you, I was going to get to the bottom of this Malloy business, says Burke. And I told you this "Malloy business" is MY business, says Patterson--what did you think you were going to do, beat a confession out of him for a non-existent murder? I expected to do a lot more than sit behind a desk and play nursemaid to a half-crazy caretaker! Says Burke. Patterson rises from his chair and approaches Burke, saying, "I've about had it with you--I don't want to lock you up, but you're just asking for it--what happened with Evans?" Nothing, says Burke, he ran out on me--but an hour later he came to my hotel room--I don't think he killed Bill Malloy. I don't know that ANYBODY killed him! says the sheriff--when are you going to get that through your thick head? He looks out the window. If it wasn't Evans, it has to be Collins, says Burke. I don't seem to be getting through to you, says Patterson, holding out his badge--this is a badge, and I wear it, not you--I represent the law around here, not you! Well then do something about it, says Burke. If there's one thing I don't like, it's a vigilante, says Patterson, and that's what you're trying to be--I'm going to give you a piece of advice, and it's the last time I'm going to warn you--you go back up to your hotel room and stay there!--stay away from Roger and Collinwood, is that clear? Burke rises, coat over his arm, and says, "Why don't you tell them to keep their goons away from me?" The sheriff opens the door and orders him to get out of here before he loses his temper. He picks up the phone and orders Matthew sent in to him. Go on! says Patterson to Burke--go to your hotel room. Treat him nice and easy, says Burke--remember, that family has influence in this town. Burke leaves, but he and Matthew pass by each other before he does. Matthew comes in and tells Patterson that he was thinking. You've been thinking too much lately, says Patterson--sit down! Matthew does so. Patterson sits on his desk in front of him and says, "You said you wanted to keep trouble away from Collinwood? Matthew nods and says yes, sir. Then stay up there, orders Patterson--you work their farm for them, you carry their firewood, but keep away from Devlin. I was only tryin'... protests Matthew. Don't tell me what you were trying to do, orders Patterson, I'm telling you what you're going to do. What if Devlin won't stay away from Collinwood? asks Matthew. You worry about yourself, says Patterson, not Devlin--and just consider yourself lucky I didn't put you in one of these cells here! What if he does come up there? persists Matthew. He won't, says Patterson, not after tonight--not if he knows what's good for him.

I've only been concerned about what's best for you, Liz tells Carolyn, how I wish you could have gone away from here before all this started. It wouldn't have changed anything, insists Carolyn. For you it would have, says Liz
--I know what you've been going through. Mother, says Carolyn, I've always liked Burke. Always? asks Liz, you've known him such a short time. I know, but...why did he have to do it? asks Carolyn--why did he have to say those horrible things about Uncle Roger? Because he's bitter and angry, says Liz. He always seems so...I don't know, so different, says Carolyn--how can you ever know anything about anybody? I've never learned the answer to that question, says Liz, smiling, I suppose you have to put faith in someone you love and hope they'll be honest with you. Yes, agrees Carolyn, if I could only talk to Burke and asks him how he could say these things. I suppose you should, if you feel you must, says Liz You wouldn't object? asks Carolyn. Would it make any difference if I did? asks Liz. No, I suppose not, says Carolyn. I can't say I'd be happy about your talking to him, or even seeing him, for that matter, says Liz, but there comes a time when you have to make your own decision. I love you, says Carolyn. I love you, too, darling, says Liz, rising from the sofa--now why don't you go upstairs to bed, and try to put all this out of your mind and get a good night's sleep? She leads her daughter to the door and gives her a kiss. They bid each other good night. Liz picks up the phone and dials the sheriff's office, asking about her caretaker--oh, never mind, she says, hearing a knock at the door--I think he's here now. She opens the door, saying, "Matthew, I..."--but it's Burke. Good evening, Mrs. Stoddard, he says. She looks at him, stunned.

NOTES: Nice scenes between Carolyn and Liz. I enjoy these, but they become scarce once Barnabas shows up. There must have been real affection between Bennett and Barrett.

Matthew is like a faithful old dog, and you've got to love his dogged determination to protect Liz from all evil, especially Burke Devlin. Their scene in the bar was tense, very well played out, and shocking when they got into a physical fight that had to be broken up. Timely intervention by Patterson.

Patterson is right--Burke is trying to take the law into his own hands, but he is understandably frustrated over what he sees as inaction by the sheriff. His sarcastic remarks about how Matthew would get treated better than he, because Matthew comes from the "big house", are untrue, really, since I believe Patterson is a man of integrity, but you can't blame Burke for feeling the way he does. I just adore Dana Elcar as Patterson, who, while he doesn't have the down-home charms of Mr. Carter, still has a strong personality, a sense of humor and knows what's right and wrong. I don't envy him Collinsport right now!

Thayer David is wonderful, as always, and downright scary as Matthew. I got chills when he told Burke he was going to kill him, as easily as he might crush a fly. And he would definitely have gotten the better of Burke if that fight had continued. Fascinating contrast in rough-hewn men, Burke and Matthew, both fierce, loyal and sure they are right.

Have a great week! Remember, no DS Wednesday through Friday this week!  :(

Love, Robin