Author Topic: Quentin and brotherly love  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
Quentin and brotherly love
« on: January 24, 2003, 09:22:11 AM »
Let me begin by saying, that I absolutely
LLLLOOOVVVEEE Quentin.  But today when he left poor Carl in the crypt knowing that Barn would wake at any time and do heaven knows what to the poor fellow, was really a low for Quentin.  He can't help tearing people to shreads, because he is a werewolf, but in his human form you would think he could have found another way to shut Carl up.  I know that he is relying on Barn helping him, but I believe that he could have found another way.  Poor Carl!
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin and brotherly love
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 11:01:08 AM »
I am not fond of Quentin.  He's been a selfish, brutal SOB since 1897 began, and I think that Magda's curse is most fitting, for at times Quentin behaves more like an animal or a thug than a person.  Treating Carl the way he did in this episode must be one of the lowest things that Quentin has ever done.  Granted that Jenny's murder might have been accidental, he consciously chose to abandon Carl in the tomb, knowing full well Barnabas would kill him when he rose for the evening.  

Poor harmless, fun-loving Carl really doesn't deserve what happens to him, and his fate is one of the points in DS that I resent.  I think the character is great fun and Karlen's portrayal is very enjoyable.  While I understand that Karlen was temporarily leaving the show and Carl had to be written out, I wish it could have been done some other way.  Certainly making Quentin a party to his brother's demise does nothing positive for his character.  Suffice it to say that I think that this plot point is messy and unnecessary.  

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 04:54:27 PM »
Killing Carl was never the only way out.  

Carl was certifiable.  All they had to do was let him tell his story about Barney the Vampire to as many family members as possible.  Then Edward calls the attendants from Wyndcliff and have them come take him away.  

Easy out for John Karlen, somewhat less cruel exit for Carl, one less unforgivable act on the part of Quentin.  But then again, he's done so many.....what's one more?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 05:52:51 PM »
If John Karlen was to leave DS anyway, why bother to have Carl return at all?   They just could have let him disappear as they did other characters.  Bringing him back just to kill him off made no sensel.  

Not to mention that Barnabas changed history by killing Carl (he should have been smart enough to realize that).  The writers regressed the character of Barnabas here and it was a horrible mistake.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 07:19:18 PM »
it does seem strange to me that Barnabas, to go to all this trouble to save a dying David and a cursed Chris in the future, could kill Carl without a thought. Who knows what the future held for Carl, he may have had a large family someday, and many descendants to populate todays times(and if they were like Carl, that would have been fun)....apparently some guy that Barny had just met in 1968 (Chris) was more important (although a very distant cuz) than Carl.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Connie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 07:53:04 PM »
it does seem strange to me that Barnabas, to go to all this trouble to save a dying David and a cursed Chris in the future, could kill Carl without a thought.

Not much stranger than any of the other nonsense on the show.

Quentin to Carl, as he closes the mausoleum door:

"Just remember Carl, I can juggle with ONE hand....while I hold the gun in the OTHER."

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2003, 08:22:53 PM »
Poor Quentin he gets into alot of trouble
but then again he trys to be helpful !!!
I TOO JUST LOVE THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YUMMY ( LUSCIOUS )
                  LOVE ANNE
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 08:46:22 PM »
I'm with you, Afan-- sacrificing his brother was rock bottom for Quentin.  He still hasn't learned that he's not the center of the universe, and the only justice in Carl's death is that Quentin will have a long, long time to think about what he did.

If John Karlen was to leave DS anyway, why bother to have Carl return at all?   They just could have let him disappear as they did other characters.  Bringing him back just to kill him off made no sensel.

I don't get either why the writers treated Carl as disposable.  While I wouldn't call him certifiable, he may have been the only likable member of that family, and certainly was the most innocent.  Unfortunately, another JK character gets dispatched just as needlessly.

It seemed ridiculous to bring Angelique back for 1 ep too, cuz we won't see her again til the week after next.  (I miss the days when Ange fans were numerous and vocal; now it seems like nobody wants to talk about her anymore. :()  Anyway, though I love having her around since she usually kicks the tension up a notch, what was the point of having her (literally) pop in?-- it's not like we didn't already know that she's keeping an eye on Barn, or that they can't be alone together for 5 minutes without tossing barbs at each other.  And they could've reminded us why he's in 1897 just as well with an opening voiceover.  BTW, while we're laying blame, she has Carl's blood on her hands too, cuz Magda made a good case for saving him.

Quentin to Carl, as he closes the mausoleum door:

"Just remember Carl, I can juggle with ONE hand....while I hold the gun in the OTHER."

Hee hee!!

I don't know what's more surprising-- that somebody wrote the line, "I can do it with one hand while the gun is in the other," or that Selby delivered it with a straight face. [lghy]

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2003, 11:08:13 PM »
I miss the days when Ange fans were numerous and vocal; now it seems like nobody wants to talk about her anymore. :()

I'm here, Midnite - and am a big Angelique fan...quite willing to be more vocal. Haven't said too much about her 'cos she doesn't seem like the most popular character on the board. [lghy]  I love her to death, but isn't she just a rotten broad?

Seriously though, I am in agreement, she does always liven things up - but it's hard to figure out why they had to bring her in to this ep just to reinforce that she's keeping an eye on Barnabas...isn't she always?

It seems like they could've done more with Angelique in 1897.  I blame her for much of what went wrong.  She could've decided to help Barnabas much earlier in the proceedings, and other bad stuff besides Carl's death could've been avoided.

And yes, this certainly is Quentin at his lowest point.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2003, 11:55:35 PM »
I've got a question about Angelique in 1897.

First, she doesn't show up until the "incompetent dabbler" Evan Hanley summons her from....where ever she's been.  That seems to imply that she couldn't just "appear" in 1897 to help Barnabas, even though we can assume she ALWAYS knows what he's up to.  Which would in turn imply that she's answerable to 'someone' and not entirely free to do as she pleases.

Except that once she's IN 1897 she acts as though she's a free agent, can come and go (and create doppelgangers), help or not help, be cruel or kind, entirely to suit her own fancy.

And while I'm asking....WHAT exactly IS Angelique at this point?

In 1795 she was a living woman.  A living woman who practiced the occult arts, but a living woman never the less.  But what is she now?  A  ghost?  A reincarnation of herself?  A demon?  What?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2003, 12:27:57 AM »
I too really thought it was the lowest of low acts. . .unforgiveable really.  

Annie. . you have to acknowledge Q ain't always so yummy. .sometimes he's quite crummy.

Even I, lover off all things Julia Hoffman, realize she's got her short comings and does some pretty despicable things at times. . .but i don't think she ever put her brother in a room with a vampire. . ??  That's just low man!
Julia99

Connie

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 12:48:21 AM »
I too really thought it was the lowest of low acts. . .unforgiveable really.

What a prick, huh! 

Annie. . you have to acknowledge Q ain't always so yummy. .sometimes he's quite crummy.

Yeah Annie!  What in hell's the matter with you, anyway?  Don't you have any moral standards at all??  Are you so blinded by lust that you cannot see that Quentin might sometimes be....SEMI-YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

;D  ;)  ;D

love & xxx,
CLC
(Morally bankrupt)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2003, 01:18:04 AM »
I've got a question about Angelique in 1897.
In 1795 she was a living woman.  A living woman who practiced the occult arts, but a living woman never the less.  But what is she now?  A  ghost?  A reincarnation of herself?  A demon?  What?

Good point, Rainey.  Have to admit I've always wondered what the heck she is too!

I think that most of the times we see her after her strangulation death at the hands of Barnabas in 1795/6, she's some kind of quasi-demon (demonette perhaps?) ::) with the full powers of a witch.  

In 1897 it appears that she can only be destroyed by fire, so that means she can't be fully human.  But she isn't all powerful because as we see later...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

She can't 'hand'le (sorry, couldn't resist) the powers of Petofi's severed mitt.

END SPOILER

What baffles me (as you pointed out) is that in 1897, Ange simply doesn't follow any rules but her own.  Sometimes she shows up uninvited to gloat or to help, and it seems like there was a time or two when someone was asking for her help and she was nowhere to be found.

I've always wondered if she was flashing back and forth between this timeline and some other, wreaking havoc or lending a hand wherever she felt like butting in.

This getting a little too off topic, I fear.  Whoops! [nerv]

P.S.  Back on topic, I have to admit that I'm with Connie and Annie - even at his worst, Quentin is still yummy.  A prick? Yes.  Hot?  OHMIGOD I CAN'T BREATHE IT'S SO HOT IN HERE!!! [smokn]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2003, 01:28:37 AM »

Not much stranger than any of the other nonsense on the show.

So true!   "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" (heard that said by Willy Wonka)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2003, 06:09:10 AM »
I recall Carl saying to "Cousin Barnabas" what great friends they would become... I do not understand how his affections could change so quickly... had Quentin and Barnabas discussed the need for Carl to keep this secret, it may not have been necessary to eliminate Carl.

Sarah
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)