Author Topic: A Fond Farewell to Miss Drummond  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
A Fond Farewell to Miss Drummond
« on: January 24, 2003, 08:33:29 AM »
I know few people agree with me, but I liked Rachel Drummond. Perhaps she was only the "type" of person Tennesse Williams referred to as a "little person" (I'm not sure if I'm remembering Mr. Williams' term accurately). In other words, she was no one of great importance, not particulary intelligent or talented. Not someone who will be remembered for very long after her death.  But she was a gracious, tender, loving young woman. She was devoted to her charges, and loyal to her friend, Tim Shaw.

She showed real backbone when being browbeaten by the Rev. Trask -- and didn't hesitate a moment to lie in order to protect someone in whom she had faith.  Nor did she waver from her lie in the face of Trask's physical violence or threats.

Rachel Drummond is also one of Kathryn Leigh Scott's best realized and flawless performances on DS.  From her initial appearance, her carriage and demeanor were completely believable for a shy young woman of her station in the late Victorian era, someone little more than a servant in the eyes of more powerful people (which was practically everyone at Collinwood). KLS's speech and mannerisms were perfectly suited to the character and well-drawn.  I wish more people remembered this particular role of Miss Scott's.

Her death scene was as poetic, touching, and full of pathos as a death scene in Dickens -- and of course Dickens is much maligned by those of a more cynical nature. Several details of Rachel and Tim reminded me of Nicholas and his sister Kate in Dickens' "Nicholas Nickleby."  Dickens portrayed many women like Rachel Drummond, who were seen as the perfect Victorian woman, the "angel in the household."  (It's interesting to remember, though, that Dickens' canvas was remarkably broad, and he brought to life every type of woman -- and character -- conceivable throughout his novels, many far different from Kate Nickleby, Little Nell, or Rachel Drummond.)

And speaking of broad canvases and many types of characters, that's one of the things I love most about DS, and which I feel Dark Shadows shares with my favorite author.

A sad farewell to the brief, touching life of Rachel Drummond ... waiting for her father to bring her home to the large white house by the sea, hopefull, waiting, expectant ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
Re: A Fond Farewell to Miss Drummond
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 09:01:05 AM »
And let's not forget, KLS is a very beautiful lady!
I knew how it would end, but I kept wishing that dim Tim would hurry and get a doctor instead of letting her bleed to death.  They talked for what seemed a long time, and he didn't even TRY to stop the bleeding. What was he thinking?   I know B does not have a telephone in his house, so how did Tim think that he would get help?? Didn't he think at all.  Also, when B went to graveyard and found Rachel's new grave, didn't it strike anyone odd that it was complete with a tombstone (and an old looking one to boot) ? I'll miss the dim but lovely KLS.
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 09:16:22 AM »

She was never lovelier than she was in this role.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 11:22:09 AM »
Rachel may not have been the brightest or the strongest character, but I honestly didn't mind her.  More than anything else, I've felt sorry for her throughout this storyline mainly because of the way Trask victimized her.  That character makes my skin crawl, and I can't help but pity anybody who has to deal with him.  It's clear that Trask lusts after Rachel and we've seen him abuse her (physically and mentally) in various episodes; more (sordid) incidents from her childhood were only suggested.  Imagining how Rachel must have lived makes her death seem even more tragic.  To have dealt with such monstrous treatment in her early years, to escape, and then to be brought back under his power, only to finally be brutally shot down as an innocent bystander in a supernatural feud seems like too harsh a fate for someone who was basically well-meaning.

ProfStokes

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 05:37:43 PM »

Hey, now that you point it out, you are right! I never noticed!

''Dim Tim''!!!! LOL!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 06:18:57 PM »
Rachel is an unfairly maligned character, and her death truly is one of the saddest moments of the many on Dark Shadows.  I agree that KLS did a wonderful job with the character, often subtly suggesting the horrors the girl must've experienced during her brief and tragic  life.  And considering what many believe she'd experienced at the hands of the Trasks, the fact that she could still care about children and wasn't a bitter, disillusioned basket case demonstrates that she was a lot stronger than she's often given credit for.

As others have said, Rachel may not have been particularly intelligent or talented (many of us are not); but she was loyal, loving and surprisingly brave.  After she was warned by Magda that she had an enemy at Collinwood that she needed to confront if she hoped to survive, Rachel wasn't afraid to seek that person out. She knew that strange things, bad things, were going on at the Collins estate, and she attempted to do something about it.  

Although the writers don't really make much reference to her after she's gone, I'd like to think Tim Shaw would never really have forgotten her gentle spirit.  Maybe when he passed from this plane of existence, Rachel's face would have been the first he saw on the other side. (Guess I've revealed myself as an incurable romantic - sigh). [smrtasg]

BTW, it's good to see you back posting on the boards, Vlad! [wavey]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2003, 10:22:34 PM »
I, too, enjoyed Rachel (well, of course - after all, it's TLATKLS!).  And even though we shall be missing the presence of TLATKLS, like all other performers on the show who used the length and depth of this storyline to take much-needed vacations (from Miss Scott, to Miss Bennet, to Mr. Frid, to Mr. Thayer, to Mr. Karlen, et. al.), she will be back.  Be still my beating heart!

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2003, 02:18:56 AM »
Never liked her, glad she's gone. One of those, well, she's very pretty, but . . . characters.

Not much there that I can see to commend her. She was sneaky as hell when she first came to Collinwood, against all reason and sense.  Her affection for her charges I might have bought if it ever got screen time.  What I saw was an awful lot of "Rachel, aren't you supposed to be working?" and her traipsing around in the moonlight with various bachelors stressing about seeing lights.

The best I can come up with is that she suffered a lot of abuse and has some deep pathological need to create problems for herself.

That's the most positive spin I've ever been able to put on Rachel's character.

She was just such a nitwit. Didn't have the sense God gave a grape and couldn't cross the street without screaming and carrying on about it.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 02:42:03 AM »
While she may not have always been the brightest cat on the block, I thought her death was sad. It seems like Rachel was never happy in her life, mainly because of Trask's school. Trask ruins her life, and then he causes it during the process of getting Minerva killed.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 02:53:02 AM »
She was just such a nitwit. Didn't have the sense God gave a grape and couldn't cross the street without screaming and carrying on about it.

Yeah, but tell us how you REALLY feel about Rachel. [lghy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2003, 02:32:30 AM »
I knew how it would end, but I kept wishing that dim Tim would hurry and get a doctor instead of letting her bleed to death.  They talked for what seemed a long time, and he didn't even TRY to stop the bleeding. What was he thinking?   I know B does not have a telephone in his house, so how did Tim think that he would get help?? Didn't he think at all.  Also, when B went to graveyard and found Rachel's new grave, didn't it strike anyone odd that it was complete with a tombstone (and an old looking one to boot) ? I'll miss the dim but lovely KLS.
Afan

i think he knew that she was too far gone and beyond
help at least the help of 1897. no 911, ers etc. so maybe not so Dim at all
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2003, 06:16:16 AM »
When Rachel was dying and talking about going to live in a big white house by the sea at first I thought she was talking about Barnabas.  I re wound the tape and it was a dream she had as a child.  It struck me was that what she was looking for when her flirtation with Barnabas was going strong with out her being aware of it.  Interesting that they would write that into her dying words.  

Birdie--why do I try to write and type when I am tired and do I make sense?
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2003, 07:21:32 AM »
I knew how it would end, but I kept wishing that dim Tim would hurry and get a doctor instead of letting her bleed to death.  They talked for what seemed a long time, and he didn't even TRY to stop the bleeding. What was he thinking

Word. What got me was in addition to lugging her around he didn't even try to apply any kind of bandage--he could have torn some clothing or something. Nope. He hauls her through the woods to a house that has no telephone and she's bleeding to death. Pretty impressive that he got no blood on him either.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2003, 08:10:53 AM »

Word. What got me was in addition to lugging her around he didn't even try to apply any kind of bandage--he could have torn some clothing or something. Nope. He hauls her through the woods to a house that has no telephone and she's bleeding to death. Pretty impressive that he got no blood on him either.

Hey this is on a show where they commit many a medical no/no!
i think he thought Barnabas could help her more!
the length of time the one doctor the town
had wouldn't have saved her. Yes he should have put pressure but have you seen many medical things on tv that make sense if they showed reality people would be bored to tears  I do agree Tim isn't the brightest i mean
he does the unforgivable bringing amanda Harris to town  ICK now that i could find fault with!
s
p
o
i
l
e
r

doesn't Julia tranfuse someone in one storyline
in the past i mean REALLY that woman is amazing

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 03:57:41 PM »
Even though I feel Rachel was lacking in backbone (as far as Trask was concerned) she didn't deserve the cruel fate that Dirk had planned for her. She never did anything to him personally yet he used her as a pawn and when he didn't get his own way he dished out his own brand of revenge on an innocent, someone his enemy Barnabas cared for very deeply. (He and Adam had that in common, wreaking havoc on innocent people to spite Barnabas). :-[