Author Topic: NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST  (Read 762 times)

tomD

NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST
« on: February 14, 2002, 06:13:13 PM »
Originally posted by tomD on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 14, 2002 at 12:13:13:

I just saw that Shadowgram reported that FOX passed on a new DS. I think maybe I'm relieved, I've been very disappointed by remakes of late (PLANET OF THE APES, LOST IN SPACE were dismal). Although this would have had the original producer "DC". I don't think I would have wanted to see "BUFFY meets DS".

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2002, 06:52:41 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 14, 2002 at 12:52:41:
In Reply to: NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST posted by tomD:

Ya know, sometimes I think they should just forget about it, too. Maybe I'm colored by how much I did not enjoy the '91 attempt. I wouldn't mind seeing maybe a TV movie set today, 30+ years later, with the surviving cast; that would probably be fun, but a remake, or even a next generation would be difficult. That's not to say it could not be done, only that it would be a real gamble.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2002, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Vlad on February 14, 2002 at 16:42:00:

Reluctantly, the more I think about this - and as excited as I was by the prospect of a new series - I think we may be better off without another new series attempt. There is no way that a new DS would be the same as the original DS; and while there could certainly be improvements in many areas, it would not be the same DS. It would be like remaking "I Love Lucy" - everything that made that show an original, a classic, is long gone. It couldn't be recreated.

Now, the novel series that started with "Angelique's Descent," being a completely different medium, maybe we should put our hopes into that ¢â‚¬¦ if subsequent books are at least as well done as the first two, and if they remain true to the spirit of the show ¢â‚¬¦

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2002, 11:24:53 PM »
Originally posted by Linda on February 14, 2002 at 17:24:53:
In Reply to: Re: NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST posted by Gerard on February 14, 2002 at 12:52:41:

That's not to say it could not be done, only that it would be a real gamble.

It would be interesting to know the script content, though. I'm curious about how he was planning to begin -- if he was going with something new or the same old schtick.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 11:32:23 PM »
Originally posted by VAM on February 14, 2002 at 17:32:23:

Now, the novel series that started with "Angelique's Descent," being a completely different medium, maybe we should put our hopes into that ¢â‚¬¦ if subsequent books are at least as well done as the first two, and if they remain true to the spirit of the show

Vlad, we hope that there will be more new novels. One has not been published for quite a while. Ms. Parker's next manuscript is to be published by TOR. If you check the publisher's forthcoming title list, there is no DS or Lara Parker entry.
The list is up thru August 2002. Maybe it will happen in 2003 and in the meantime... VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 08:29:40 AM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 15, 2002 at 02:29:40:

I'm curious about that, too, Linda. Maybe someday he'll release it, or at least a transcript.

Gerard

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Script publication unlikely
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2002, 08:58:42 AM »
Originally posted by Darren Gross on February 16, 2002 at 02:58:42:
In Reply to: Re: NO NEW DS, MAYBE FOR THE BEST posted by Gerard on February 15, 2002 at 02:29:40:

Things like that probably won't happen. When DCP and a station commission a script, it's DCPs for awhile after rejection which they can shop around-I believe-to other networks. Any publication of the script is not part of the contract and would have to be negotiated later. Besides, if Curtis was happy with it, he might hold onto it as a prospectus for a new series down the line.
Tons of series including DS have made pitches for revival series or unproduced movies, etc. but because they are never handed out in quantity to production personnel like produced films are they don't end up in script shops...nor should they, really.