Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #76  (Read 1945 times)

Offline mrjuggins

• Full Poster
  • There's a moon out tonight ...
    • View Profile
    • The DS FAQ Homepage
ShadowGram Update #76
« on: February 14, 2002, 05:06:43 AM »
Originally posted by Tim on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 13, 2002 at 23:06:43:

ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 76. February 13, 2002.
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG) announces the following breaking news for Dark Shadows (DS), some of it just received directly from Dan Curtis' office.

The upcoming SG #95 and future SG print issues will report all confirmed developments.

* Dan Curtis Productions (DCP) tells SG: "The Fox Broadcasting Network has passed on the pilot script they ordered for a possible new primetime DS weekly series. ((SG Online Update #75 announced this possibility last month.))

"Unfortunately, Fox decided to pursue other genre program options, including a sci-fi drama and a proposed spin-off of the film/stage play 'The Witches of Eastwick.' But Curtis remains interested in doing another DS project should the opportunity arise.

"In the meantime, he is developing several TV movie projects for CBS and HBO for the 2002-03 season. More details will be in upcoming SGs."

* MPI tells SG it is "planning to issue original and unedited DS episodes in the DVD format beginning in May/June, with a 4-disc set containing a total of 40 episodes (10 per disc). The DVD releases will begin with Episode 210, the introduction of Barnabas.

"Further 4-disc sets are anticipated every 3 months. There are no plans to release single disc versions at this time. Each release will contain bonus material, including new interviews with the DS actors and Dan Curtis, plus other features. The sets will retail for the suggested price of $59.98."

MPI also "is preparing Curtis' landmark mini-series 'War & Remembrance' for DVD release in two sets. A documentary will be included on the first release later this year. Curtis' 'Turn Of The Screw,' paired with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray,' also will be issued on DVD, with star Lynn Redgrave and Curtis offering recollections."

* DAVID SELBY (Quentin) and his wife Chip tell SG he provides the voice of the half-eagle, half-lion mythical title character in "The Griffin and the Minor Canon." The half-hour animated feature airs on the West Virginia Public Broadcasting System 3-19 at 8:00.

Other well-known West Virginian natives also do voices, including Chris Sarandon, John Corbett, Don Knotts, and Soupy Sales. The production is suitable for children and teenagers.

David plans to appear at 2 public premieres: Fairmont State College's Wallman Hall Theater on 3-18 and at the Cultural Center Theater in the state Capitol complex 3-19. Information: Call Robin Pyle at (304) 284-1459.

* JIM STORM (Gerard) is in the play "Dogmouth" at the Evidence Room Theater, 2200 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, through 3-3. Performances are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings only. Tickets are $20 each. (213) 381-7118.

* MICHAEL T. WEISS (1991 DS' Joe, Peter) is seen in the urban horror film "Bones," due on DVD and VHS 2-26.

* The Dark Shadows Festival asks SG to relay hotel room reservation information for the 2002 DS Festival convention at the Anaheim Marriott Hotel in Anaheim, CA (near Disneyland), Fri., June 28-Sunday, June 30.

Discount Festival rates are good for 5 nights: from Thursday night, June 27, 2002 through Monday night, July 1, 2002. You must mention the Dark Shadows Festival for the special discounted room rates, as follows:

Anaheim Marriott
Singles and Doubles: $99 per night
Additional persons : $20 each

Reserve through Marriott toll-free reservation line 1-800-228-9290
Online: www.marriott.com. Choose Anaheim, California, location, then enter the following 7-digit reservation code for DS Festival rates: DSFDSFA for a single room or DSFDSFB for a double room.

The mass mailing with general information should be sent soon to the Fest's postal-mailing list.

The upcoming next print issue SG #95, subsequent SGs, and this SG Updates List will have confirmed information on * all * of the above, reports and photos from recent DS events and cast member appearances, and all the DS news.

Thank you.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in both the 1966-71 and 1991 TV series. Established in 1979, SG works directly with companies and others involved in Dark Shadows' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

The complete print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace Updates List / ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" Updates List is sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify "Dark Shadows" fans of time-sensitive developments. You now also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

First Class postal-mail subscriptions for SG print issues: $12.00 for 4, $24.00 for 8 (US & Canada). Overseas Air Mail subscriptions are US $20.00 for 4, US $40.00 for 8.

Send print issue subscription payment to: Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple
City, CA 91780-7766.

* Note: Subscriptions now can be made online via Paypal to the SG e-mail
address: Shadowgram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-mail address or e-mail to <Shadowgram@aol.com>.

If your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and your new e-mail addresses.

If you do not wish to receive this online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows Updates List," please notify me via return e-mail.

Thank you.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: ShadowGram Update #76
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2002, 08:07:57 AM »
Originally posted by ROBINV on February 14, 2002 at 02:07:57:
In Reply to: ShadowGram Update #76 posted by Tim on February 13, 2002 at 23:06:43:

This is truly a shame. I hope something positive happens in the future.

I wonder what script was submitted and rejected?

RobinV

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2002, 03:20:35 PM »
Originally posted by Stuart on February 14, 2002 at 09:20:35:
In Reply to: Re: ShadowGram Update #76 posted by ROBINV on February 14, 2002 at 02:07:57:

It was a new script written by Dan Curtis and an unnamed collaborator. Pity, but not particularly surprising

Stuart
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2002, 04:04:17 PM »
Originally posted by RingoCollins on February 14, 2002 at 10:04:17:
In Reply to: Re: ShadowGram Update #76 posted by Stuart on February 14, 2002 at 09:20:35:

new script written by Dan Curtis and an unnamed collaborator

I'll bet it was that Gameshow Host thing that choked it!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline waylonsmithers

• How narcissistic of me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 07:13:22 PM »
Originally posted by Waylon Smithers on February 14, 2002 at 13:13:22:
In Reply to: Re: ShadowGram Update #76 posted by RingoCollins on February 14, 2002 at 10:04:17:

What do you mean by "Gameshow Host thing"?

Regards,

John

Offline waylonsmithers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 07:27:18 PM »
Originally posted by Waylon Smithers on February 14, 2002 at 13:27:18:

I am quite pleased with MPI's approach to releasing the DS episodes on DVD. Not only are they releasing unedited episodes (as opposed to the Barnabas-centric versions on the initial VHS releases), but the DVD releases will have more episodes and cost less than the VHS tapes did when originally released.

Some good news to go with the disappointing news...

Regards,

John

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2002, 08:37:04 PM »
Originally posted by RingoCollins on February 14, 2002 at 14:37:04:

What do you mean by "Gameshow Host thing"?

You probably don't really wanna know [but with a screen name like that......] go down about a foot on the board, [and a few miles on the intellectual scale] and read the thread, and apology from 2/10 titled 'Barnabas Collins' started by AMeiers [that I apparently freaked right off the board!!]. But, hey [similar to toe jam] I am 'studying' for some sensitive employment tests, and that really has my sense of perspective deranged - I gotta get a real job! and things will get back to NORML.

Cheers, and apologies in advance,
and once again to AMeiers, where ever you are!!!
:oRingo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2002, 10:12:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ben on February 14, 2002 at 16:12:22:

Waylon Smithers'
Not only are they releasing unedited episodes (as opposed to the Barnabas-centric versions on the initial VHS releases)

Hi, John, you lost me there. Since I have only the special compilation MPI videos ("DS Bloopers," "DS Behind the Scenes," etc.), I don't know what got edited out of the original MPI releases of complete episodes. Could you kindly explain?

Thanks,
Ben

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2002, 11:21:16 PM »
Originally posted by Midnite on February 14, 2002 at 17:21:16:
In Reply to: Re: ShadowGram Update #76 posted by RingoCollins on February 14, 2002 at 14:37:04:

You probably don't really wanna know (but with a screen name like that......) go down about a foot on the board, (and a few miles on the intellectual scale) and read the thread, and apology from 2/10 titled 'Barnabas Collins' started by AMeiers (that I apparently freaked right off the board!!).

A link to lovable Ringo's post is below, and the rest of the thread can be followed from there.

But older posts really are disappearing from the board as they're transferred to the new board-- by MB, mostly-- and as soon as we're caught up with all you verbose folks (I'm certainly not complaining), we'll move to our new home.

But, hey (similar to toe jam) I am 'studying' for some sensitive employment tests, and that really has my sense of perspective deranged - I gotta get a real job! and things will get back to NORML.

Oh no, please don't change!!!

Offline waylonsmithers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 02:07:28 AM »
Originally posted by Waylon Smithers on February 14, 2002 at 20:07:28:

Hey Ben!

Back when MPI began releasing the series on VHS, they edited out many scenes involving Jason's blackmailing of Liz. I believe this was done because MPI felt that by emphasizing Barnabas' role in these early episodes, the tapes would sell better. I suspect that this decision wasn't as popular as they had thought, because the unedited version of these episodes were eventually released as part of the pre-Barnabas "Collector's Series."

Regards,

John