Author Topic: I Could Have Lived at "Collinwood" - Very OT  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re: I Could Have Lived at "Collinwood" - Very OT
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2003, 01:52:29 AM »
Vlad, I also would love to see a pic of the house if you get the chance to post it! Sounds like you did the right thing by hesitating.  Scraping ice and snow off the car is quite the disagreeable task, esp. early in the morning.  I hated it so much it caused me to move south! And if you can't be sure your car is secure that wouldn't do much for your peace of mind - not to mention your wallet if anything were to happen to the car.  

There is a house in the town I grew up in called Ewing Manor.  It's open to the public and is owned by the local university.  I've often thought it resembled a smaller version of Collinwood/Seaview Terrace.  You can see it at:

http://www.ewingmanor.ilstu.edu/map.shtml

But hey, keep your eyes open - just think - if something opens up in the big house maybe you can move there.  Wouldn't you rather be up at the big house with Liz, Roger, Julia etc. rather than down at the carriage house with the ghost of vampire Dirk Wilkins?  [lghy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2003, 05:48:37 AM »

Drawback features? If I could get stuff like this, you couldn't keep me out of there!

--Mark[/b][/color]

Oh my God! How could you pass up such a great opportunity?  You probably would've only signed a one year lease anyway and if the parking is so terrible, you could've moved again.  I've spent years and years parking in Chicago winter's and it's only been the past 4 winters that I've had a garage.    I definitely would've gone for the atmosphere.  When this apartment becomes available again, take my advise and go for it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2003, 08:52:50 PM »
Hi Vlad! Loved your account of the house and apartment - how tempting! Like you, I would have really tossed and turned considering it - but admit it would be hard to give up a garage during those winter months...and you have it worse than I do up there in the frozen north.  I seriously doubt I'll ever have such an opportunity to own, rent or take an apartment in a great old place like that.  I'll just have to be satisfied doing the tour thing as much as possible.  Beautiful photo of that mansion BTW Cassandra. You grew up there - WOW!  Now how cool would it be to watch DS everyday in that great look-alike abode!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2003, 05:27:28 PM »
 Beautiful photo of that mansion BTW Cassandra. You grew up there - WOW!  Now how cool would it be to watch DS everyday in that great look-alike abode!

Just it case it wasn't clear - I didn't live in that house, although I certainly fantasized about it as a kid!  But I grew up about a mile from the mansion.  Never even realized that it looked like Collinwood until after I'd moved away from that town.  When I go back to visit now, I always have to do a drive-by!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2003, 05:48:53 PM »
Just it case it wasn't clear - I didn't live in that house, although I certainly fantasized about it as a kid!  But I grew up about a mile from the mansion.  

Ooops! I guess I fell into your fantasy for a minute - LOL!  Now see, I would have even settled for being as close as a mile away from a house like that as a kid.  All we had in my area at the time were suburban ranch-style homes...doesn't exactly inspire romantic visions of gothic splendor!  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2003, 08:37:53 PM »
There is a house in the town I grew up in called Ewing Manor.  It's open to the public and is owned by the local university.  I've often thought it resembled a smaller version of Collinwood/Seaview Terrace.  You can see it at:

http://www.ewingmanor.ilstu.edu/map.shtml

Cassandra B, the resemblance is downright eerie!  I looked at some other views of the Ewing house and was surprised by how much more of it there is.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2003, 12:45:05 AM »
Yeah, it's weird, Midnite.  There IS a lot more to it than the 'Collinwood' front of the house, but curiously enough the house isn't that big - only has something like 20 rooms, IIRC. Think it was built around the same time as Seaview Terrace (1920's?), so I guess it's sorta the same thing on a much smaller scale - it's a knock-off of the Newport 'cottages.'

And I see they do weddings there.  Can you imagine the story title for some DS fanzine? "I got married in a designer knock-off gown at a Collinwood knock-off house!" [lghy]

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2003, 09:30:44 AM »
Yeah, it's weird, Midnite.  There IS a lot more to it than  Can you imagine the story title for some DS fanzine? "I got married in designer knock-off gown at a Collinwood knock-off house!" [lghy]

hmmmmmm.......
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2003, 09:40:08 AM »

hmmmmmm.......

Oo!I can't wait!

Hurry,
Dom

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2003, 01:45:26 AM »
No, I'm not updating this to say there's been a change of plans and I am going to be moving into my local "Collinwood" after all.  (For one thing, I've since discovered that I have a one-year lease renewable each year that I can't get out of unless I pay $100 more each month for a different type of lease.  But don't get me started on rental property management's robbery of the working poor ... )

Cassandra Blair, the house/museum that you provided a link for is fantastic!  It really does look like Seaview Terrace, especially the way the round tower is nestled in there ... It looks more like the original Collinwood, whereas "my" Collinwood really does look more like a cross between the original and the movie version -- it's more gothic in architecture than Seaview Terrace, and also the great cut gray stones are similar to Lyndhurst.

The moderator has offered to put up a photo, but the ones said moderator has seen aren't as good as those I took later -- and I'm not sure where I have those newer ones.  Regardless, it is a private residence, and the owners might rightly view it as an invasion of privacy if they were to find out their home was pictured on the Web.

BTW, Castlebee, I've dug up your hot toddy recipe in light of the frigid temperatures of late!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2003, 02:56:35 AM »
BTW, Castlebee, I've dug up your hot toddy recipe in light of the frigid temperatures of late!

Oooooh, share please! [lick]  It was 7 degrees here in Georgia this morning!  

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2003, 09:15:16 AM »
Oooooh, share please! [lick]  It was 7 degrees here in Georgia this morning!  

Cassandra Blair,

Please accept my apologies for taking so long getting this to you. It seems everyone has been feeling the cold (except for a few people out in California who are probably laughing at the rest of us living in the Arctic regions ...) ... Jennifer needed a charm, but a hot toddy can probably do the trick nearly as well.

I haven't heard back from Castlebee yet and as I felt I should get her permission before posting her recipe for "Castlebee's 1795 Collinwood Hot Toddy," ;) ... I checked my files and found just the thing for you in the meantime ...

Believe me, this WILL warm you up! It's an authentic Scottish recipe for a hot toddy (and for once I can't claim any ancestral connection ... no English, Welsh, Scotts, or Irish anywhere in my lineage, alas!) ...

Authentic Scottish Hot Toddy

In a saucepan, pour one-third cup Scotch whiskey.  Stir in 2 teaspoons honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.  Add several whole cloves. Heat gently, being careful not to evaporate the alcohol.

No, you don't add water. :)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2003, 12:20:42 AM »
Yikes!  That's one to warm the... er... "cockles" of your heart, eh?  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2003, 06:33:42 AM »
I know a warming trend is now sweeping the country, but here's another Hot Toddy Recipe ... This one is from Castlebee.  Let's just call it ...

"Castlebee's 1795 Collinwood Hot Toddy."

Place a sugar cube in a punch cup and pour (nearly) boiling water to fill cup 2/3 full.

add 2 oz. (1/4 cup) brandy

Stir and decorate with a slice of lemon

Sprinkle nutmeg on top

P.S.  BTW, I went by that house last night, the one I wrote about at the start of this thread ... and there's a Realtor's sign ... the house is for sale!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2003, 08:56:54 AM »
Vlad since now i have a rotten cold and sinusitis(ick what a headache i had earlier)
i'm trying that tommorrow night!
thanks again

jennifer
it is suppose to 49 on Tues(laugh all you west coasters)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV