Author Topic: I Could Have Lived at "Collinwood" - Very OT  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I Could Have Lived at "Collinwood" - Very OT
« on: January 16, 2003, 07:00:22 AM »
I'm not sure if the moderators will view this as too off-topic, but here goes.

About a six-minute walk from where I live stands a stately house built in the early 1900s of gray stone, with many twists and turns in its architecture, including a large tower, and surrounded by a stone fence and gate.  A circular drive brings one up to the car port, and a few low steps up to the front doors, which are heavy ornately carved wood and thick cut leaded glass.  Across from the entrance is a fountain, and beyond this is spacious, two-story Tudor-style carriage house not visible from the street.

The home instantly reminded me of "Dark Shadows" the first time I saw it ... it seems to be a cross between Seaview Terrace and Lyndhurst's Gothic architecture.  I walk often at night and sometimes see a light in the second floor of the tower room, and speculate as to whom is locked within ...

I have taken pictures of the house on two occasions, and one of the moderators of this board has seen some of them.

Last week, for the first time in all my years of walking (slowly) past the house, I noticed a sign on the gate saying that an apartment on the estate was available.  My heart nearly skipped a beat -- this could be my chance -- a one and only chance in a lifetime -- to live at "Collinwood"!  I imagined what it would be like to actually live and breathe an atmosphere so reminiscent of Dark Shadows -- it would be as if the show were brought to life every day.

My call the next day was answered by one of the staff, who then made an appointment for me to see the apartment, which wasn't in the main house ("the one that looks like a castle") but in the carriage house.

The carriage house was no garret -- high cathedral ceilings, hardwood floors, a fireplace, balcony, a breathtaking view of the grounds from the second-floor bedroom.  And the rent was close to what I currently am paying for far more prosaic living quarters.

There were a couple of drawbacks, the primary one being that parking was limited to outdoors.  Also, since one section of "the mansion" (as the caretaker referred to it) had also been made into apartments, parking within the gates of the estate wasn't always available.

If this were California, that might not be a problem.  But having had the experience of parking outdoors through sub-zero winters and being dumped on by freezing ice and several feet of snow sometimes for weeks and months on end, I didn't know if I could trade my current more comfortable and convenient parking situation.  I said I would need to think about it.

I took an application, and after two nights of tossing and turning and discussing my tortured decision with anyone who would listen, I finally returned with my application two days later.  You guessed it -- the apartment was gone!  It had been snatched up in less than three days!

If I had another chance, would I have said yes immediately, as someone else seems to have done?  I'm not sure -- there are some very practical decisions that one must make when it comes to moving, and there were a couple of other aspects that wouldn't have been quite as convenient as my current situation.

So ... living in a dream world of Dark Shadows, or choosing practicality ... the dilemma still haunts me.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: I Could Have Lived at "Collinwood" - Very OT
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 08:09:06 AM »
As painful as it might be, you probably made the right decision, Vlad. After a time, novelty wears off of anything and practical matters are what really become the most important. "Novelty" might not be quite the right word here; it sounds like a wonderful place and one you might be thrilled with for the long haul; but if parking and weather were to become a chronic problem, there might end up being some bitterness down the road. Then you'd be kicking yourself for having entertained such romantic notions.

Still... I think I'd have jumped on it. ;)

--Mark[/glow]

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »
I would have done the same thing as you.
Going from having your car snow and ice free
to shivering and scraping it's windows in
my opinion is a big difference. And you also have
to think about what could happen to your car
if you had to park outside the gates.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 08:55:44 AM »
There were a couple of drawbacks, the primary one being that parking was limited to outdoors.  

What about drawback features like:

a] no-lock doors
b] surprize visitors via secret passage
c]  occasional redecoration by zombies
d] moaning and crying sounds from basement
e] must play 'if I catch this one, Carolyn isn't dead'  with indoor winter rules

but if it came with a governess like TLATKLS....... [vryevl]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 05:37:56 PM »
Vlad,

I am sorry you did not get the apartment but who knows maybe it was for the best.  Perhaps, the apartment may become available again.
    I also have a "Collinwood" look-a-like in my neighborhood.  When I moved to Maine 14 years ago, I found it on a walk through my new neighborhood.  It had been abandoned by the family because of disputes about the inheritance.  The name of the property is The Gutmann estate.  It was finally sold in 1992 or 1993.  I have a very yellow newspaper article with pictures, if anyone is interested.  It would also be easy for me to take new photos.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 06:04:11 PM »

a] no-lock doors
e] must play 'if I catch this one, Carolyn isn't dead'  with indoor winter rules

Drawback features? If I could get stuff like this, you couldn't keep me out of there!

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 08:42:10 PM »
Ringo Collins said:

a] no-lock doors  

Mark Rainey said:
Drawback features? If I could get stuff like this, you couldn't keep me out of there!

Mark, I've read your short stories. I thought perhaps you ALREADY lived there! [nerv]

;) raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 01:05:09 AM »
Mark, I've read your short stories. I thought perhaps you ALREADY lived there!

That's only the summer home. I'm pining for the stuff full-time.

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 02:16:35 AM »
Here's what I think, you balked for a reason and it is for the best. BUT, the next time you see a sign, there will be an apt. available in the mansion and it will be your dream come true.

Then you will buy a car cover and tough it out. Somewhat like those of us who bought a house, but couldn't afford a house with a garage, in spite of living in ice storm land.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 06:33:58 AM »
Thanks for listening, everyone -- and for your very sensible comments (I enjoyed the humorous ones, too).

This forum is as good as therapy -- and cheaper! :0

Julianka, you're right about concerns about parking on the street.  Although that is common within city limits here, car break-ins are also very, very common -- although this is an exclusive, well-maintained neighborhood, there are still break-ins and vandalism.

Onyx Treasure, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in saying I'd love to see photos of the old estate you mention.  My reason for not attempting to post my photos (besides the fact that I don't have the capabilities) is the fact that this is a private residence -- that is something you may need to consider, too.

I do have one tiny correction (not that it matters to anyone but me):  I referred to a stone "fence," which sounds like something Colonial.  It is a stone wall.

Also, did I mention the 10- or 12-foot high, Gothic-arched tryptich of windows at the back of the mansion, on the second floor landing?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 04:41:43 PM »
Vlad,
         I would have loved to have seen the "house".  The carraige house sounded so very beautiful.  Words of advise it just was not ment to be.  My Aunt lives in a carriage house and it is charming.  She sold the big house to her daughter,  Her daughter has made changes and it is not as beautiful as it was when my aunt lived in it.  
         I love old houses and tour them whenever possible.  My dream was to buy an old house and repair and restore it.  The sad thing is my pocketbook is not equal to the task.  Reality had to sink in

Take Care.
Birdie--think spring
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 05:17:52 PM »
Vlad you made the right non move i moved into a nice apartment once with horrible parking that was across
the streetIt was a nightmare in the winter and i finally left!
jennifer
some day you'll have both!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 08:13:58 PM »

Onyx Treasure, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in saying I'd love to see photos of the old estate you mention.  My reason for not attempting to post my photos (besides the fact that I don't have the capabilities) is the fact that this is a private residence -- that is something you may need to consider, too

Vlad,
    I have a newspaper article of the house with pictures, address, and asking price.  However, the house is now a private residence.  I know who lives there now but would never violate their privacy.  I would blank out the address.  This house is a local legend.  I heard through the neighborhood grapevine that it has been a money pit for the new owners.  I live in an old house so they have my sympathy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 09:58:23 PM »
Vlad,

I'd love to see a picture of the house in question.  Not having a car, I would probably have snapped that baby up in an instant!  Where I live few people have garages, but that may be because here in New England the masses of snow and ice aren't quite as bad as they are further inland.  (Although that's hard to believe looking out the window today!)  What I see here are A LOT of people shoveling snow off their cars.  Ah, I can't tell you how liberating it is NOT to have a car!  Maybe it's the European in me.    

Anyway, I am sorry somebody beat you to that apartment, although in my experience, if you even feel slightly hesitant about taking it, it may be all for the best.  Maybe you'll live in the Big House one day!  In the meantime you can always learn if there is record of any ... ahem ... strange disturbances there!  [ghost]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2003, 01:45:45 AM »
Vlad, I also would love to see a pic of the house if you get the chance to post it! Sounds like you did the right thing by hesitating.  Scraping ice and snow off the car is quite the disagreeable task, esp. early in the morning.  I hated it so much it caused me to move south! And if you can't be sure your car is secure that wouldn't do much for your peace of mind - not to mention your wallet if anything were to happen to the car.  Keep your eyes open - just think - if something opens up in the big house you can move there.  Wouldn't you rather be up at the big house with Liz, Roger, Julia et al rather than at the carriage house with the ghost of vampire Dirk Wilkins?  [lghy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.