Author Topic: Robservations 1/13/03 - #764-765 - Are Silver Bullets a Solution?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
764 - (Joan Bennett) - Collinwood, 1897, a house haunted by terror.  For a curse has been laid upon Quentin Collins.  When the moon is full, he becomes a wolf that walks like a man.  And in the fearful village, one man pays the consequences for having tried to help Quentin.  Blackmailed by the Reverend Trask, Evan Hanley trains an innocent man to commit a mysterious murder.

Tim tries to force the brandy down Evan's throat; the lawyer struggles away from the poisoned drink.

Tim insists to Evan, you ARE going to drink; I saw the queen of spades!  Evan manages to push Tim away, but the young teacher tries to strangle Evan, who tells him, mine isn't the right face--you saw the face in the card!--THE FACE IS IN THE CARD!
Tim releases him.  Evan reminds him, I'm your friend--you must get back to work, and follow my orders.  Tim, bewildered, sits back down in a chair and picks up the little book he was working on.  Evan straightens his clothing and answers the phone--it's Beth, calling from Collinwood.  Come out as soon as you can, she begs--have you seen the moon?  Yes, he says.  It happened again! cries Beth  He can't help, says Evan.  Bring something silver, says Beth, to protect yourself.  I can't! objects Evan  Someone must find him, she wails, before anything happens.  I can't go out, insists Evan.  But there's no one else, says Beth--Quentin has helped you, you owe him!  Judith stands on the landing, listening in.  If this goes on, he'll be caught, says Beth--we must help him!  Judith asks what's wrong.  Beth hastily hangs up.  Nothing is wrong, she says.  The conversation wasn't important--I was talking of a cousin of mine in the village who's in trouble.  Perhaps after you leave Collinwood, you can help your family, suggests Judith.  Beth asks, do I have to go now?--I know my two weeks are almost up, but I want to stay a while--Mrs. Fillmore called and said the baby boy has a fever--I want to bring him medicine--can't I stay?  Because of the babies? asks Judith--that's no problem, I'm planning to tell Quentin about the children.  No, says Beth, you can't, please don't.
This about face on Beth's part puzzles Judith, but the maid insists, Quentin can't know now.  Perhaps Quentin needs responsibilities, suggests Judith, children do change a person--is Quentin in his room?  No, says Beth, he went to Evan's house for the evening--don't tell him!  Why have you changed your mind? asks Judith.  He'd be upset with the boy ill, unable to help him, babbles Beth, don't tell him yet.  Judith agrees, and says Beth can stay until it's settled.  Beth picks up some stuff and says, I have an errand in the village, then I will be with the children at Mrs. Fillmore's if you want me.  As Beth leaves, a wolf howls, and to herself, she laments, "Quentin. . .oh, Quentin!"

Judith sits at a table playing cards.  Barnabas opens the front door and together they listen to the wolf howling.  It isn't a dog, as you think, says Barn--last month, when the moon was full, that teacher was killed.  That animal is back, says Judith.  Barnabas agrees.  They enter the house and he closes the doors.  I heard it when I was leaving the Old House, says Judith, and Magda thought she saw the animal in the woods.  Barnabas asks, why is that animal always on their grounds--Beth and the teacher were both attacked by it?  True, says Judith, the police say there have been no further reports about seeing the animal anywhere but here--what does it mean?  We will have to find out, he says.  The phone rings--Ezra Braithwaite.  Judith leaves to use the study phone to call the police.
Barnabas takes the phone and the very young Braithwaite informs him that Beth Chavez ordered a pentagram charm, and changed it to Quentin--she ordered it tonight and is in a big hurry for it.  Before hanging up, Barnabas tells the young man,  (a sweet gesture, too) you will be a great addition to your father's firm.  Beth knows now it's a werewolf, he realizes, how did she find out?  Who is the pentagram for?  The baby whose grave he and Chris opened--where is that baby?  I must find out, tonight.  The dog howls.  Judith enters and tells him the police are sending some men here, thank goodness--I wish there were something else I could do besides calling the police.  Barnabas asks her when Beth left.  About an hour ago, she replies--do you think something has happened to her?  I hope not, says Barn--how long has Beth has been with you? Two years, answers Judith--she's from Collinsport.  Is her family from here? Barn asks.  A cousin--why? asks Judith.  I know so little about her, says Barnabas.  For the best, opines Judith--it doesn't pay to be too interested in servants, we found that out in this house.  The dog howls.  Barnabas looks out the window at the full moon.  He takes his cane and says he's leaving.  Judith is concerned he's going out with that animal out there.  I might find it before the police arrive, says Barnabas.  You can't go out, insists Judith.  I am well-armed, Barnabas assures her, showing her his cane.  Be careful, she says, and deals another card.

Tim is licking his finger and reading the text.  He has four pages left to go.  Evan tells him he's done quite enough; he's very impressed with his work.  He suggests they "try the card."  Yes, says Tim vacantly.  They sit at the table.  This time, no mistakes, Tim, warns Evan, when the real time comes, all must go without error.  Evan deals the cards and talks of a primitive tribe in the Brazilian jungles--the brightest youth is chosen to deliver death to those condemned by the elders--truthfully, isn't our society a primitive tribe, too--you must consider it an honor to be chosen.  He orders Tim, who is listening raptly, to pick up his cards.  Tim does.  Evan talks of the emotional significance attached to cards.  The heart signifies romance, for example, the spade--what does a spade mean to Tim?  Death! replies Tim.  All spades mean that? asks Evan. Yes, says Tim.  When you played the four of spades, you had no desire to kill anyone, right? Queries Evan  No, says Tim, because it isn't the right card!  Evan puts down the queen of spades--is this the right card?  Tim rises and pours the brandy again, then adds the poison.  He brings the glass over to Evan and hands it to him.  Evan thanks him and puts it down on the table.  He tells Tim to sit down now.  Tim does as he's told.  Evan tells him you've done well--you've learned nearly enough, yes, the moment is very near. . .

Beth returns to Collinwood.  Judith comes into the foyer and asks if she saw the police.  Yes, one walked me here from the gate, says Beth. They can only hear the animal, says Judith--how's the boy?  He has a fever, says Beth--there are no other symptoms.  Beth answers the door to Tim.  You shouldn't be out tonight, advises Judith.  He comes in and tells Judith, we didn't know of all this at the school, Trask asked me to stop by for Jamison and Nora.  Neither you nor the children are going back tonight, decides Judith--Beth, prepare a room for Tim.  Beth goes.  Judith assures Tim, I will call Trask.  Tim says, my staying the night might not be necessary, surely all those men out there. . .surely the beast will be caught. . .   Beth listens on the landing, looking anxious.  Judith tells Tim, I'm eager for the children to return to the school, considering how difficult the last few weeks have been for them, especially Jamison.  Yes, the Reverend is anxious to have them back, as well, says Tim.  Judith gushes how IMPRESSED she was with the school; the children behaved angelically.  Tim remarks that Trask does require very strict discipline.  So do I, says Judith--my father was strict, and god-fearing, and would have been an ardent supporter of Trask.  Tim watches her play cards, but refuses her invitation to sit down.  She comments that she hopes Rachel is happy at her work.  All Tim says is that Rachel is an exceptional teacher.  As was Miss Trilling, says Judith, and I know Trask was upset to lose her.  Judith is holding the queen of spades in her hand and is about to put it down when they hear gunshots right outside.  They both race out.  Beth joins them, her face twisted with fear.  Perhaps they got the animal, suggests Judith.  Barnabas comes over and tells them it got away.  Beth heaves a sigh of relief.  They wounded him, says Barnabas, at close range, and the bullet went through his chest; they might catch up with him.  Beth starts to faint; Judith catches her.  Are you all right? Asks Barn.  Beth runs back into the house.  I'm going to rejoin the search, says Barnabas--I knew you'd be alarmed at the shots.  She thanks him, but says, be careful--the animal will be more vicious than ever, now that he's wounded.

A bat appears outside Beth's bedroom.  When she comes in, her face creased with worry, she finds Barnabas standing in her room.  How did you get in? she demands, you were just outside?--how did you get here ahead of me?  Unimportant, he says--you ordered a pentagram from Braithwaite and Sons tonight.  Beth's eyes widen--how do you know?  "There's a wounded animal prowling in the woods," he says, "You know that animal is a werewolf and he will change back into a human being in the morning--you must tell me who it is."  Are you threatening me? asks Beth.  I'm warning you, he says--time is short, you must give me the answers I need.  I can't help you, she says, I know nothing about the animal in the woods--please leave!
He advances on her; she backs away.  Stay away from me! she cries--"Oh my God, what are you?"  He bends down and puts the bite on her throat!

NOTES:  Another victim, another show!  This time, it's understandable that Barnabas needs to take this victim because she knows much that he must know, if he is to help Chris and David.  Frankly, the Tim/Evan stuff got boring.  I adore HAA and think he's wonderful, but it just seems repetitive and I could have done without seeing it twice.  I know, Tim got it right the second time, but it just never interested me that much.  There was a lot of card-playing in these two eps, wasn't there?

Quentin and Beth, Judith, Evan and Tim.  I loved Barnabas' comment to young Braithwaite.  It was just really a nice thing to say.  Selby in his pre-werewolf agony pangs was a bit over the top today, IMO.  Sometimes these scenes just go on too long.

765 - (Grayson Hall) - Collinwood before the turn of the century.  The great house is surrounded by darkness.  And somewhere in that darkness there prowls a terrifying creature who threatens the very existence of the Collins family.  Only a few people know the secret behind this creature.  And Barnabas Collins must use every means available to him in order to learn it from one of them.

Beth lies on her bed as Barnabas checks his handiwork on her throat.  Are you all right? He asks.  Yes, she answers dreamily--I don't want you to leave.  He's pleased--tell me what I need to know, he says.  What will you do when you know? she asks.  I'm not sure yet, he admits--who is the werewolf?  Reluctantly tells him:  Quentin.  He's shocked--how did it happen?  Quentin killed Jenny, unintentionally while trying to protect me, says Beth, but Magda accused him of being a murderer, setting a curse on him and all his male descendants.  So, it was Magda? says Barn.  I bought the pentagram to help the baby boy, says Beth, and describes how, when Quentin left two years ago, Jenny was pregnant, but he didn't know
--she had twins, a boy and a girl, and after that, she went crazy, cries Beth--Edward sent the babies to Mrs. Fillmore to be cared for.  Are they are still alive? asks Barn.  Yes, she says--but Quentin doesn't know about them--there were times, confesses Beth, when I wanted to tell him, but I can't tell him now, it would kill him.  Barn points out, Quentin must know sooner or later.  If he lives long enough, says Beth.  I will make sure he does, Barnabas promises.  He's wounded, she reminds him, and might already be dead.  Not by ordinary bullets, says Barn, he will be all right when he reverts back to Quentin again--it's possible, however, that the police might capture him and put him in a cell, revealing Quentin's secret to everyone.  Beth doesn't understand why he's so interested in them.  Barn asks, do you trust me?  I don't know, she says.  In time you will, he says.  I just want Quentin to be rid of the curse, and well again, says Beth.  Barn asks, are you in love with him?  Her voice filled with tears, Beth admits, I am--I want to believe everything will be OK, but I don't see how it can--I lie awake wondering how and where it will all end.  I know how and where, , says Barnabas, but still have to find out when.  He leaves her.  A wolf howls.  She opens her drawer and takes out the pentagram, which is on a chain, and holds it in her hands.

Magda comes to Collinwood, gun in hand.  She fills it with silver bullets outside the front doors.  Judith hears her and asks who it is.  Magda hides the gun in a planter, then identifies herself.  Judith opens the door and demands to know, what do you want?  I need to see Beth, says Magda.  It's late to be peddling your wares, insists Judith.  It's important, and between Beth and I Beth, says Magda.  Judith tries to close the door on her, saying, "Beth's gone to bed."  Magda wants to awaken Beth--it's that important, but Judith advises her to go to her own bed and stay there--it's no night for anyone out alone.  I heard about the animal, says Magda, but I'm not afraid.  I needn't worry about you, then, says Judith, and tries to close the door on her once again.  Magda, however, is insistent on seeing Beth.  Judith and Magda get into an angry back and forth argument about which has more arrogance.  That's enough! Says Judith, and orders her to go.  Magda gives her a look and starts to leave, slowly.  NOW, Magda! says Judith.  Judith goes back into the house and we see the planter, the deadly gun hidden inside.  Judith begins to turn off lights.  She closes the double doors and heads upstairs.  Magda looks in the drawing room window, and enters the house through it as a wolf howls loudly.

Magda stands in the darkened drawing room, then walks out into the foyer.  She hears Beth and Barnabas talking.  I never should have told you, laments Beth.  You had no choice, he reminds her.  I'm afraid Quentin will hate me when he finds out, says Beth.  He won't, Barn assures her.  I'm concerned Quentin will demand to know how you learned his secret, says Beth.  I know I will have a difficult time, admits Barnabas, but I will try to convince Quentin I want to help him--after I get Quentin back to Collinwood, I plan to have a talk with Magda, and try to make her reverse the curse--(by force, if necessary, is implied).  Magda overhears this.  I'm going to wait up for you to bring Quentin back, says Beth.  Thank you, says Barnabas, and leaves.

Magda joins Beth in the foyer and says, I came in "her own way" since Judith wouldn't let me in--did youget the pentagram to the baby boy?  Yes, says Beth, and one for myself, which she shows Magda is around her neck--the boy is wearing it now.  And does Barnabas know everything? asks the gypsy.  Yes, says Beth--I had to tell him.  You're a fool, says Magda.  He wants to help Quentin, says Beth.  He can't, argues Magda, I'm the only one who can, and will tonight--I found the only way to end the curse.  Beth asks what it is.  Magda checks the maid's throat, spots the marks and gasps, I won't tell you!  Are you going to harm him? asks Beth.  I can't anymore than he has already been harmed, says Magda--trust and believe in me and know that what I do will end his misery.  She takes her leave, retrieving the gun from the planter.  She loads it with silver bullets and heads off.

The werewolf, growling, prowls the woods, then spots Collinwood.  Beth paces the foyer, wringing her hands.  Judith comes to the landing and asks, why haven't you gone to bed?  I couldn't sleep, says Beth.  Judith suggests tea--have you been in the drawing room, Beth, I noticed the doors are open.  Perhaps the wind, suggests Beth, when Barnabas went out the front door.  Barnabas was here? asks Judith, perplexed.  He came by earlier to check on everyone, says Beth, and we talked a few minutes.  Feeling a draft, Judith turns on lights and checks the window, which was closed when I went upstairs--someone has been in the room.  I don't know who and don't want to make any attempt to find out, says Beth.  We should go to our rooms and lock the doors for the night, says Judith.  I don't feel danger in the house, says Beth.  We are in danger until the creature is killed, insists Judith--Beth, go to your room.  The phone rings, Judith answers--it's the sheriff--the wolf was wounded, but is still around, so you're in danger.

Beth finds her room a shambles and leans against her dresser for a scared moment, then leaves her room.

I hope the animal has crawled off to die somewhere, says Judith--Sheriff, keep looking.  She makes another call, but gets no answer.  She again turns off the lights.  (Love her red velvet dressing gown.)  Hearing a noise outside, she goes into the foyer.  The growling wolf waits on the landing.  He climbs over and comes at her.  Judith screams as he advances, pawing at her menacingly.

Judith backs away from the wolf.  Beth comes out and raises her pentagram into his line of sight, holding him at bay.
He races into the drawing room and leaps out the window.

Magda searches the woods, holding the gun ready.  She hears footsteps and hides.  It's Barnabas, holding his cane in front of him like a weapon.  Magda comes out after he has passed by.

Beth calls the sheriff and reports the incident with the wolf man.  Miss Collins is very shaken up, she reports, and wants your men to come guard the house. . .he's taking care of it, she assures Judith.  I fear we'll all die if the creature returns, frets Judith--what it was about you that scared off the animal?  Beth pretends not to know.  I wasn't blind, says Judith--I saw everything--when he saw you, he started for you, then stopped, as if frightened of you.  That makes no sense, says Beth.
I saw it happen, insists Judith--why?  He was more frightened than we were, asserts Beth, he was wounded, I could see him bleeding, and if an animal is badly wounded, it's badly frightened.  He's no ordinary animal, notes Judith, he wears men's clothing, and stood like a man, too.  Let me take you upstairs to rest, Beth offers.  No, says Judith, I wants to await the police, and I want you to wait with me.  Whatever you say, agrees Beth.  Judith rants about how the sheriff ought to be replaced; he said the animal was probably so weak, it crawled off to die.  (Beth looks absolutely miserable.)  Yet he was strong enough to almost kill me, says Judith.  Beth offers her more tea, hoping to shut her up.  Judith paces the room and complains, we must find that beast and destroy it--I can't take another night like this!

The wounded wolfman climbs up on a rock, growling low in his throat.  He seems to pass out.  Magda approaches, hears him.  They spot each other; he crouches to attack.
Magda holds up the gun and shoots the creature, sending him tumbling to the ground.

NOTES:  Is he dead?  Has Magda killed Quentin?  Was this her solution to the problem of the wolfman?

Love, Robin