Author Topic: Scream Awards: Chloe Moretz  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Scream Awards: Chloe Moretz
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
Chloe Moretz is in the running in Spike TV's Scream Awards in the category of Best Horror Actress for Let Me In.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Scream Awards: Chloe Moretz
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:13:53 AM »
I can't believe any connected to that movie is getting an award. I was hoping it would be better than Let The Right On In but both movies did nothing but put me to sleep.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
Gotta say it.  Let Me In is on my list of "Top Ten Vampires Movies of All Time".  This was a terribly moving film, a dark love story between a twelve-year-old boy and a (seemingly) twelve year old girl vampire.  But nothing about this film was "easy" while all of it managed to move as well as disturb.    Chloe Grace Moretz and Kodi Smit McPhee portrayed anything but typical children, their performances so utterly real as to be heart-wrenching.  Here I saw the kind of searing truth that haunts me to this day.  What a brilliant film!  How unlike the cliche stuff we've gotten used to of billowing curtains, colored candles, poetic declarations by vampires who seem like creatures who stepped out of a Romantic painting.  Here I saw a grittiness, a naturalistic horror that achieved its own kind of poetry.

Mind you, despite the murders and sense of tension, this film really shouldn't have been billed as a thriller.    First and foremost, Let Me In remains a drama that uses horror movie tropes in an original way.  Primarily it paints a portrait of that hideously awkward process of beginning to grow up.  Owen (the lead character) needs support, needs help, needs love and comfort and company.  By chance, he gets none of these things, but instead attracts the rabid attention of a budding psychopath.  Then, Abby enters his life--someone as lonely and in many ways abandoned as himself.   Their bond grows, with a hefty price tag attached, but one each agrees to pay.  Neither should ever have to make these choices.  But while they shouldn't have to, circumstances force it upon them.  A tragedy.  Yet in a strange way, a triumph as well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
An excellent summary of the film and the themes involved, Zahir. I couldn't agree more. And since watching it myself, I've lent it to a friend and fellow DS fan who was also curious about Chloe Moretz. Soon after watching it he called to say how much he enjoyed the film and her performance and how much the film had affected him and his wife.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
I agree with Zahir that I thought Let Me In was really good.  It is definitely slower and more moody than many horror films, but I loved the dark atmosphere and felt that the story offered a unique take on vampirism.  For anyone interested in the original Swedish Let The Right One In, which I thought was at least as good, there is a word of caution about the subtitles- initially, the DVD subtitles were very dumbed down and bland compared with the subtitles that were used in the theatrical release.  You can probably google and find discussions about the criticism about this.  They were going to re-release the DVD but I don't know if that ever happened, but if you ever rent it and don't feel the dialogue was all that great, keep in mind that it may be the fault of the poor subtitles.  At any rate, the English language version removes that problem, though it changes the story slightly and of course changes the location.  I'll be rooting for Chloe (and Johnny, too, of course!) to win a Scream award!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
Showing off a bit.  Here is my initial review of Let Me In: http://zahirblue.blogspot.com/2010/10/let-me-in-review.html

Here is an article I wrote comparing the two versions of Lindqvist's novel:  http://www.vampires.com/a-tale-of-two-vampire-films/

A friend of mine wrote a brilliant, insightful review for his blog:  http://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2011/03/let-me-in-review.html

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »
I'll agree that it is slow. I guess this is a film you either love or hate. I've watched it three times, it took that many to stay awake all the way through it. I'll never understand what people like about this. It's like it tried to be "Martin". Now that's a modern day vampire movie.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
I also enjoyed "Let Me In."

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
Zahir, thanks for those links-- great reads!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »
I really liked her in "Kick-Ass" and I don't like superhero movies at all. I'd give her an award for that.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
Spike's Scream Awards
(Features Chloe Moretz and Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »