Author Topic: Robservations 12/20/02 - #748-749 - That Crazy Kiss of Death  (Read 1592 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 12/20/02 - #748-749 - That Crazy Kiss of Death
« on: December 19, 2002, 11:58:35 PM »
748 - (Grayson Hall) - The time is 1897.  Here in the past, Collinwood harbors secrets that can affect the lives of the Collins family for many generations to come.  Barnabas Collins has returned to the great house in this era gone by in an effort to save the lives of two people in the present.  One by one, the dark secrets of Collinwood have been unfolded to him.  Now he has learned of the existence of Quentin Collins insane wife, Jenny, who has killed before, and on this night is ready to kill again.

Beth sees Jenny approaching over Q's shoulder and screams.
Quentin and Jenny grapple for the knife.  Jenny screams incoherently at Beth, then tries to attack her.  Quentin and Jenny continue to battle for the knife, Quentin trying to force the weapon out of Jenny's hand.  He finally forces her to drop it, but immediately after doing so he encircles her throat with his hands and squeezes.  Beth tries to make him to let her go, but Quentin says, "I can't, I won't."  He puts more pressure on his wife's throat, pushing her down onto the bed with all his strength.  When he's done, Jenny is dead.  Shocked at what he's done, Quentin runs out.  Beth leans over Jenny.  "Oh my God!" she sobs.  Jenny's eyes are half open, but she is definitely dead.  Beth, too, runs from the room.

Edward returns home, looking quite spiffy in his top hat.  He takes off his coat.  Beth runs out, sobbing.  She tells him Jenny is dead, that Quentin accidentally killed her--he didn't mean to do it, Jenny had a knife!  Edward orders the hysterical woman to get hold of herself.  In the face of his stoicism, Beth calms down and tells him, Jenny is in my room--dead.

Drawing room - Quentin holds out his hands and stares at them in disbelief.  These are the hands that murdered my wife!  He sneaks from the drawing room and goes upstairs.

Edward takes Jenny's pulse and agrees she's dead, all right.  Beth moans in horror.  Edward demands an explanation.  All Beth can says is, "I didn't want her to die!"  Edward orders her to listen--you must tell me what happened.  Quentin was there protecting me, blathers Beth, he killed Jenny, but didn't mean to.  Why did Jenny attack you? asks Edward.  We didn't know she was in the room, Quentin and me--she was hiding.  Edward asks what she and Q were going there, but she can't tell him, and he figures out for himself that she was in Quentin's arms.  When Jenny saw her faithful servant betraying her, her first and only instinct was to kill, accuses Edward.  Beth begs him to stop.  Where is Quentin? Asks Edward.  He ran from the room, says Beth.  Of course, says Edward, finding the knife on the floor.  He orders Beth to return it, and with shaking hands, she takes it from him.  Why did Jenny come to your room in the first place? Queries Edward.  I don't know, answers Beth.  What are the clothes doing on her dresser? He asks.  I was taking them into the village, to the children, says Beth.  Yes, says Edward, Jenny's children.  And Quentin's, too, Beth reminds him.  "God help them," says Edward, "she must have seen them here."  Yes, agrees Beth, sobbing--Quentin doesn't know, I'm sure.  He orders her to get rid of them--and when you're finished doing that, get rid of the knife and fix the cut on your face--you did it by accident.  Beth touches the scratch and tries to talk to him, but he commands her to just get busy--much to be done, little time to do it.  Beth puts down the knife, touches the baby clothes, and cries her heart out.

Quentin, bag in hand, cape on, starts sneaking downstairs, intent on escape.  Edward spies him and grabs the bag.  I can't stay, insists Quentin.  You aren't going anywhere, Edward insists, you're staying right in the house!

Drawing room - Edward closes the doors.  Quentin tells his brother he didn't mean to kill her.  Edward believes it because Q is too cowardly to commit murder.  The police won't believe it, says Q desperately--that's why I must leave.  No way, says Edward.  Quentin refuses to go to jail for something he didn't mean to do.  While Edward would like to see him punished, he assures him he isn't going to jail--listen carefully to me, he tells Quentin and Beth--Beth, an hour ago, you found Jenny at the foot of the stairs--she appeared to be dazed, and you took her to your room, where she said she felt dizzy--you left the room to get help, and when you returned, you found Jenny lying on your bed--when you tried to revive her, you realized she was dead.  That isn't true, points out Beth.  Quentin insists no one will believe it.  Edward snarls at them that this is the story they are handing out, and no one will have any choice but to believe it.  Why are you protecting him? asks Quentin  It's not for you, says Edward.  Family honor and pride, suggests Q.  Edward agrees--no besmirching the family name!
This is one time you can't do it, says Quentin--there are too many people who will ask questions.  I thought only Judith and Dirk knew of Jenny's being here, says Edward.  Q brings him up to date--a lot has happened while you were away, and Barnabas met and talked to Jenny--he and Judith are searching for her now.  Edward is sure that, being a Collins, Barnabas will back them up, even if he knows the truth.  What about the gypsies, they know, too, says Quentin.  Their silence will be paid for, says Edward.  No, says Q, what you didn't know was, Jenny was Magda's sister.  This stuns Edward: "YOU MARRIED A GYPSY?"  This is no time to be socially offended, says Quentin, there is no use in trying to cover this up!  Edward insists otherwise.  Someone knocks at the door.  Edward says I will take care of the problems myself--you two are not to move until I come back.  And he closes the double doors and answers the front door.  It's Magda and Sandor.  She demands to know where Jenny is--we're worried about her and know she came here to see Quentin--has she been found?  Yes, admits Edward.  Magda wants to be taken to her, but Sandor realizes something has happened.  Yes, an accident, says Edward--Jenny is dead.  Magda's face crumples as Edward explains she fell and hit her head coming down the stairs, and died a few minutes later.
Quentin listens at the door.  Edward tells Magda, I know you are related, and I'm sorry.  He agrees to take Magda and Sandor to Beth's room, where Jenny's body lies, but the gypsies insist on going alone.

Edward joins Quentin and Beth--you heard it all, he realizes.  I can't face them if they come in, says Quentin.  Edward yells, they are coming back, and you will calmly face them!  How? asks Q.  Edward grabs his arm and says, do exactly as I tell you--it's your only hope for survival.

Magda and Sandor enter Beth's room where Jenny rests on the bed.  Magda bursts into tears, kneels, takes her sister's hand.  If she had stayed with us, she would have been alive today, wails Magda.  What might have been can never be, says Sandor.  Magda touches her sister, folds her hands over her chest, and cries.  In Jenny's hand, she finds a button, which she holds up to show Sandor.

Magda and Sandor realize Edward lied to them; Jenny fought for her life.  They find bruises on her neck.  Jenny was strangled to death! says Magda, vowing to avenge her death.

Edward goes over her explanation of what happened with a hesitant Beth--remember every word of it, orders Edward--Quentin was outside searching the grounds.  Beth gasps at the knock at the door.  I'll do all the talking, insists Edward--don't speak unless spoken to.  Sandor and Magda enter--we have questions--who saw her fall downstairs?  No one, says Edward.  How do they know she did?  Are you suggesting she was pushed? Edward asks Magda.  Maybe, replies the gypsy.  Quentin looks uncomfortable.  She was alone, continues Edward, so she must have tripped and fell downstairs--Beth found her at the foot of the stairs and took her to her own room.  Sandor gazes at Quentin.  Magda asks Beth if it's true.  Edward demands, do you doubt me?  I have reason to doubt you, replies Magda.  Sandor points out that Quentin is missing a button from his coat--it marches one Magda found in Jenny's hand.  "MURDERER!" Magda mutters to Quentin, who claims not to know what she is talking about.  Edward wants to know what she's doing.  "You killed my sister!" accuses Magda, attacking Quentin physically.  Sandor tries to pull her away from Quentin.  Edward continues to insists Jenny had an accident.  Magda tells Edward he's lying to protect Quentin.  Edward insists it's the truth--if you don't believe me, I'm sorry.  She threatens him with the police.  What will you tell them? he asks.  That Quentin strangled my sister, says Magda--it wasn't an accident.  Edward asks her who the police will believe--a gypsy or a Collins?--they will demand proof, and all you have is a button Quentin could have lost, and you could have found, anywhere.  Magda thinks it over and realizes Edward is right--she turns to Quentin--I warned you if anything happened to Jenny, you would be sorry--I will keep my word--I will set a curse on you that will last all the days of your life--"You will suffer as she suffered--you will wish that you were as dead as she is!
But it will not be possible!"  She spits at him (we hear it, but don't see it).  Then Magda and Sandor stomp out, dignity intact.  Quentin begs Edward to stop her--she's serious, she'll do it, put a curse on me!--I believe it, she can do it!  Words, says Edward, our only defense, and if you believe she can do it, you are past saving.  Edward heads off to tell Judith and Barnabas of the unfortunate accident.  Beth races to leave.  Quentin begs her not to go.  Terrified, she stares at him, then runs off.  "Beth!"  he calls.  Left alone in the drawing room, Quentin remembers Magda's threat to set a curse on him that will stay with him all the days of his life.  He sees her fingers outstretched in the "curse" position and covers his head as if trying to hide.

NOTES:  Poor, sad, luckless Jenny.  Did she have to die?  Quentin had already gotten the knife away from her, yet he persisted in strangling and killing her.  It seems like such a sad fate for a pretty woman whose only crime was in wanting to rise above her gypsy status and marry a man she clearly loved.  And if Quentin married her, must he not have loved her?  Given how "free-spirited" he is, one would assume he wouldn't ever have gotten married--what made him choose to marry Jenny.  Beth, torn between wanting Quentin for herself and her loyalty to Jenny, wishing she would just disappear so she can have him--it's tough to love a married man!  Lots of facets there.  Notice how completely Edward took over, the keeper of the family's good name (yeah, right).  However, there are much deeper layers to this tragedy, more than Magda knows.  Now we know that Jenny and Quentin had REAL children, and that Beth has been bringing money and clothing to whoever is watching them.  Wonderful performances by Edmonds, Wallace, Hall and David.  Note how horrified Edward was to discover Quentin had married a gypsy!  Such a snob!  A classic episode here.

749 - (Louis Edmonds) - Not even the bright dawn of a new day will dispel the terror of one man who live sin the great house of Collinwood.  Quentin Collins has spent a sleepless night in his room.  His has become an existence of uncertainty and fear.  But he knows that in the Old House on the Collins estate, two people are plotting his destruction.

(Quentin seemed far more concerned about his own hide than the fact that he killed his wife.  He still has a long way to go to works towards redemption.)

Old House - Magda tells Sandor, I found what I wanted; I'll mix it with the potion and it will be ready.  Sandor advises her to just kill Quentin and get it over with, but she tells him a curse is far more satisfying, even if it's not as easy.  Are you sure it will work? he asks.  Yes, she says--I haven't done it before, but have seen it happen.  She flicks her hand over a flame onto what appears to be Blair's cup.  Magda tells Sandor that once, many years ago, a very old gypsy woman agreed to help Count Petofi (first mention of a future character) rid himself of an enemy.  She did it for him, but he didn't pay her--to get revenge, she placed a curse on him--I saw what happened to that man
--I would tell you, Sandor, but better for you to see it happen to Quentin.  She pours some amber colored liquid into what looks like a test tube and holds it up.

Quentin, in his room, is having a tough time of it.  He stares at himself in the mirror, sits down, leans back, then stands again, as if he's itching all over.  He hears a knock at his door; it's Edward.  Quentin takes a key from his pocket and lets him in.  Edward observes he looks frightful and advises him to get some sleep.  I can't, says Quentin.  Your body will give in, says Edward, sooner or later--I've explained Jenny's "accident" to Barnabas, and our cousin accepted it. How can he be sure? asks Q.  He has no way of finding out the truth, says Edward evenly.  Quentin tells Edward not to be so stupid--the gypsies know and can tell Barnabas everything!--they know!  They are powerless, says Edward.  I'm sure Magda will put a curse on me, says Quentin, I'm sure of it!  You're being foolish, says Edward. Quentin yells at his brother--I need lots of money, perhaps I can buy Magda off--if you do this for me, I promise I won't ask another thing as long as I live.
Edward considers it, rubbing his chin, drawing it out to make Quentin sweat.  "I'm begging you!" wails Quentin.  How much will it take? inquires Edward.  A lot, says Quentin, ten thousand, in cash.  Edward doesn't have it, but Judith does, they agree.  I will ask Judith if, on receipt of the 10 grand, you will sign a paper waiving your inheritance in Grandmother's will, says Edward--you will leave Collinwood and never return.  This offer horrifies Quentin.  The terms aren't negotiable, says Edward--think about it.  Q immediately accepts his terms--just please get  me the money! cries Q.  Edward eagerly leaves to take care of everything. Quentin locks the door after him and stares at his terrified reflection.

Edward opens the front doors to Magda and Sandor and warns, you had better not be here to levy anymore ridiculous charges.  "We have come for my sister's body," says Magda quietly--according to custom, she will be laid to rest by her own kind.  Too late, says Edward, for your pagan rituals--Jenny was buried this morning.  "You had no right to do that!" shouts Sandor-- "She was of our family!  It was your guilt that made you do it!" he says, getting right into Edward's face.  Magda informs Edward that he hasn't heard the last of them, or of Jenny, whose spirit won't rest.  They leave.  Edward looks self-righteous.

Quentin paces his room, awaiting doom.  He sits down in a chair and, exhausted, falls asleep.  He hears Jenny calling him, telling him not to sleep, but to stay awake and very alert--because she's coming back for him.  Quentin calls Jenny frantically.  He sees one of her dolls on a table.  Did Jenny's ghost leave it there? (Accuracy note:  That's a modern doll with a hole in her mouth for feeding.  I doubt they had such dolls in the 19th century.)

Quentin takes the doll in his hands, then slams it back down on the table.  He abuses his chair, too.  Edward visits him again.  I just heard Jenny's voice, Quentin says--she was warning me she'd come back.  Jenny is dead, says Edward, and all you heard was your own conscience.  My conscience didn't leave that doll! Quentin cries.  They look again--the doll is gone.  It was there, protests Quentin, just a few minutes ago.  You imagined it, says Edward.  I DIDN'T! says Quentin.  Edward grabs his arm and tells him to get hold of himself.  Quentin plops down in a chair and buries his face in his arms.  Edward informs him that Judith added one condition to the deal--you must persuade the gypsies to leave with you--you'll have to wait for the check until this afternoon; Judith went to Evan Hanley to make it very legal.  Quentin squeals unhappily to hear this.  The paper will be ready by mid-afternoon, then the money is yours, says Edwards.  Quentin wants it expedited, but that's impossible--sleep, Edward advises. I can't, says Q--stay with me, Edward, he begs, to Edward's amazement).  Quentin is near tears as he begs his brother not to leave him alone--just until Judith comes back--I don't want to be alone, blares Quentin.  Call your maidservant friend, suggests Edward.  I don't want Beth to see me like this, protests Q.  I don't blame you, says Edward contemptuously, and leaves him alone.  Quentin locks the door and picks up a book.  He once again drifts off to sleep (seemingly) and hears Edward telling him to sleep, sooner or later his body will give in--he must. . .Quentin dreams.  He sees and hears a tambourine shaking.  Magda enters his room and asks if he's ready.  He tells her to stay away from him.  Don't be frightened, she says, this is a simple ceremony.  He refuses to come with her, but she says you must--Jenny is waiting for you.  He refuses, ordering her out.  Magda shakes the tambourine, telling him, you can't resist.  No, he says, "I won't go, please don't make me do this, I'm begging you."  He goes with her anyway, compelled to, protesting all the way.  She assures him it will only take a moment.  He follows the sound of the tambourine through darkness, into Collinwood's drawing room.  She knocks at the door.  Sandor answers.  You have brought him--good, he says--we can begin the ceremony now.  What ceremony? asks Q.  "An old belief among the gypsies--the body and spirit of one who has been murdered cannot sleep until it has been blessed by it's murderer."  Q swears, I didn't murder her--she had a knife in her hand and was going to kill me.  Sandor assures him there is no need to defend himself, there is no hatred or anger here.  He leads Q into the drawing room where Jenny's body lies and tells him to look at her--see how beautiful she is, says Sandor.  As beautiful as the day she married you, adds Magda.  She's so different, says Quentin, so peaceful now.  Sandor says, she can't find peace until you bless her.  It will bring both of you the peace you need, says Magda.  You won't rest until you do this, says Sandor--go to her, touch her hand.  Quentin reaches out his hand and touches Jenny's.  She opens her eyes.  "You're alive!" he moans.  "Only for a moment, Quentin," Jenny tells him--"long enough to give you a kiss of death."  She kisses him.
Sandor smiles and says, "The kiss of death!"  Magda declares the ceremony complete with the kiss of death, and shakes her tambourine to signal it.

Quentin awakens, twisting in his chair, screaming in a high-pitched wail of protest. NO! he screams.  Edward knocks at his door.  Quentin, staggering, unlocks and lets him in.  It's all right, he says, I had a nightmare--I know what Magda is going to do--keep Jenny here to haunt me--that's my curse--Edward, we must do something.  It's done, Edward assures him--he gives Quentin the agreement, which Quentin takes without even reading, and demands the money.  Quentin grabs the envelope from Edward.  Judith wants you and the gypsies gone by tonight! calls Edward.  They'll be gone, says Quentin, running out.  Edward grins with pleasure, surveying his hated brother's signature on the contract.

Sandor tells Magda, who is looking at amber fluid in the vial, Quentin will suspect us, whatever we do--how can we get him to drink the potion without him knowing it?  He won't suspect if he doesn't know, says Magda--my plan will work, she assures him, we have the rest of the afternoon to think of a way.  Sandor looks out the window and tells her, Quentin is coming; our prayers have been answered.  She puts the vial in the desk, then answers the door.  You aren't welcome, she starts to say.  Quentin assures her, I can make it worth your while to remove the curse--now--I know what the curse is--Jenny's ghost has already appeared to me and won't let me rest--I'm willing to give you all the money I have if you stop it.  "You came to buy me!" exclaims Magda, making a face at him.  Sandor, grinning, tells her to wait.  I'm insulted at his offer of filthy money, insists Magda.  Quentin admits, I came to buy you off and aren't ashamed to admit it--I want to tell you how much. Yes, he hasn't said how much, smiles Sandor.  Magda says her husband's  name in an angry, disbelieving voice.  Let him show us, then he can go, suggests Sandor.  Quentin offers them 10 thousand dollars, cash--I have it right in my pocket.  Sandor wants to see the money, but Q insists on hearing Magda's answer first.  Sandor points out, we could travel very far on so much money.  Quentin agrees.  We could do all the things they always wanted, live like kings!, adds Sandor.  Magda wants to see it.
After your answer, says Quentin.  "May my poor sister forgive and understand me," says Magda, pointing at Quentin with the two-fingered gypsy salute.  "I remove the curse, she says, and all your suffering."  He hands her the money, gratefully thanking her.  Sandor suggests a drink to seal their bargain, saying Quentin has been relieved of a very heavy burden.  While Magda counts the money in her lap, Sandor prepares three drinks, pouring the amber liquid into one of them.  Magda happily says, we are all satisfied--we are rich and you are free!  Sandor hands out the drinks and suggests a toast to that.  Quentin drains his doctored drink, stands and says, I'll be on my way now--minus ten thousand dollars, of course, but it's worth it--at least I'm free of the curse.  He starts to leave.  Magda informs him, the curse has actually just begun--you thought the curse was Jenny's haunting.  She tosses the envelope filled with money at him--that was just your guilt--"Keep your rotten money," she says, "I just pretended to take it so you could relax and have a drink, because the potion that would make the curse effective was in that drink.  THE CURSE WILL START TONIGHT!"

Quentin's eyes widen in horror.

NOTES:  OK, Quentin was totally fooled, and if he'd really known the meaning of family loyalty, he would have realized he was getting off too easily and quickly.  Magda's ire over losing her sister was huge, so much more than Quentin could comprehend, because he doesn't seem to have much use for any of his siblings, and all they want is for him to leave Collinwood, get out of their lives, so there is no love lost on either side.  Now, however, Magda has rejected the money, there isn't enough in the world to compensate for her immense loss, and ironically, she placed the curse upon him by giving him what he always seems to crave, whether in celebration or sorrow to drown his memories--a drink of booze!  Quentin is in deep poop now--what curse has she REALLY placed on him?  It's going to be anxious hours for Quentin.  Barnabas' curse came because he made love to the wrong woman; Quentin's is happening because he killed the wrong woman.  Those Collins cousins are always in dutch, aren't they?

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 12/20/02 - #748-749 - That Crazy Kiss of Death
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 01:43:50 AM »

Magda tells Sandor that once, many years ago, a very old gypsy woman agreed to help Count Petofi (first mention of a future character) rid himself of an enemy.  She did it for him, but he didn't pay her--to get revenge, she placed a curse on him--I saw what happened to that man--I would tell you, Sandor, but better for you to see it happen to Quentin.

This scene confused me.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that Count Petofi was 100+ years old (in fact in a future episode, I think he tells Aristede that he was given 100 years to reclaim his hand--100 years from the time he was freed of his curse, btw--and that time is almost up.)  As I read it here, Magda is telling Sandor the story of Petofi's curse first-hand.  She saw for herself what the elder gypsy woman did.  If that's true though, then how old is Magda supposed to be?

ProfStokes

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 03:36:54 PM »
I suspect this is another of DS' infamous discrepancies.  I don't think Magda possesses any "age-proof" type of powers that are keeping her youthful looking.  

Once Petofi is introduced to us, we learn he is ancient.  

You're right--something doesn't make sense.  But then again, this is DARK SHADOWS, and I suspend disbelief often.

Love, Robin

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 02:36:29 PM »
maybe she's one of those gypsies that saw the past in a crystal ball or something.

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard