Author Topic: Robservations 12/18/02 - #744-745 - Barnabas & Jenny  (Read 1217 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 12/18/02 - #744-745 - Barnabas & Jenny
« on: December 18, 2002, 12:44:56 AM »
744 - (Joan Bennett) - The year is 1897.  And on this night, two women are joined in common cause--to destroy Quentin Collins.  One is Laura Collins, who opened a locked door and let a madwoman free.  The other is the crazed Jenny Collins, out of her cell at last, and hunting her prey with terrible purpose.

Jenny wanders through Collinwood's foyer.  Dirk asks where she's going.  To the Old House, smiles Jenny, to see Quentin.  You must have a weapon, says Dirk, and you will have--I'll get you one--you must stay right here and wait for me, he cautious her.  He heads into the kitchen area.  "Wait for me," says Jenny.  "Yes!  Wait for me, Quentin!  I'm coming to kill you!"  And her face twists with mad joy.

Jenny looks around the foyer.  Dirk returns with a knife.
This is for you, he says, and now you can go to the Old House.  He orders her to wait, and she begins to struggle in his arms.  He drags her into the drawing room and locks her in there until he comes back.  As Dirk turns around, Judith enters the house and heads for the drawing room.  She orders him to help Trask get the House by the Sea ready for his school.  She notices he's preoccupied, but he assures her all is well.  Go upstairs and check, she orders, "Go on, Dirk!"  He does so, casting a nervous glance over his shoulder.  Judith is puzzled.

Jenny looks at the knife she holds in her hands (or is that a letter opener)?  She wanders the drawing room and hears Quentin's music, then Q's voice: "They lied to you again, didn't they?--telling you I was at the Old House!"   She stabs a chair in her rage and demands to know where he is hiding.  She stabs at the sofa.  Here I am, Jenny, says Quentin's voice in her mind.  When she knocks flowers off a table, Judith hears.  Jenny stabs another piece of furniture to Quentin's laughter--where is he hiding!?  She races to stab something else.  Judith enters the drawing room, looking around to see who is there, but sees no one.  Then she hears a wild giggle.  It's Jenny, looking for Quentin.  Judith tells her Quentin is far away.  Jenny accuses her of lying.  I'm not, insists Judith.
Yes, you are, and Laura lied to me, too.  That's all right, says Judith.  I know Quentin is at the Old House, says Jenny, and that's where I'm going.  Quentin will be gone for a long time, says Judith, and you must go back to your room.  No, says Jenny, raising the knife.  Judith, horrified, orders her to put it down.  "Put my knife down?" says Jenny.  Before you hurt herself, cautions Judith.  I'M not the one who will be hurt, says Jenny--not anymore.  She approaches Judith with the knife, backing her towards the wall.  Judith doesn't notice when Jenny grabs a candlestick holder; the redhead hits the brunette over the head, knocking her unconscious on the floor.  Quentin enters Collinwood and sees Jenny standing there, back to him, holding a knife.  Jenny murmurs, "She lied to me, but I lied to her, too, about who I am.  My father was a king of India and my mother was a princess, and I am a princess, and when I raise my hand (she raises the hand holding the knife) and say die, then of course, someone dies!"  She stares insanely at the blade in her hand.

Jenny leaves Collinwood.  She smiles, gazing at the blade.  Quentin witnesses her leaving and hides from her.  He enters the house and finds Judith conscious, sitting in the drawing room.  They each tell the other what they already know--Jenny is heading to the Old House with a knife!  We must go after her, says Judith, and put her back in her basement prison.  How did she get out, demands Quentin, by prayer and fasting? Perhaps she stole a key, suggests Judith, from either Beth or Dirk.  Dirk? asks Quentin.  Dirk helps with her, says Judith.  If Dirk knows about Jenny, that means Laura knows, fumes Quentin.  Judith doesn't believe that, but Quentin tells her the problem of Jenny can't be contained in the four walls of a locked room, not anymore.  Judith agrees to send Jenny far away.  No place is far enough, protests Quentin--I brought Jenny here and I'll see to it that she leaves--my mistake was in letting everyone else deal with her, and that mistake almost cost me my life.  What are you going to do? asks Judith.  "What do you think I mean, sister dear?" he asks.  He leaves, determined to do what must be done.

Jenny stands near the Old House.  She hides the knife in a pocket, then knocks at the door, over and over, trying to fix her wild hair.  Barnabas answers the door and stares at her.  She asks,  where is Quentin--I know he's here.  No he isn't, says Barnabas.  She orders him to stop lying to her.  Who else lied to you? asks Barnabas.  Edward, says Jenny, and Judith, and sometimes Beth, but not so much.  She asks his name, and he tells her.  She introduces herself--Jenny Collins.  Barnabas assures her, I'm not lying--come in and see for yourself that Quentin isn't here.  She enters, looking around.  Barnabas locks her in the house with him.  She admits, I don't see Quentin--but he sometimes makes himself invisible and all I can hear is his tormenting voice--I came from Collinwood, where I live.  Is it lonely for you? asks Barn.
I have my children, says Jenny.  Your dolls? he asks.  My children, she corrects, smiling--what's upstairs?  Barnabas invites her to look.  No, I must go out and find Quentin! Insists Jenny.  Quentin is coming back, says Barn, and said for you to wait for him.  This surprises Jenny.  (He's so good and gentle with her!)  She eagerly, childishly asks, did Quentin tell you anything else about me?  Yes, says Barnabas, he said how beautiful you are.  She's tickled to hear this--it's why Quentin married me, she explains--he was very handsome.  She shows Barnabas a picture of Quentin in her locket.  "There were many girls in love with him, but he married me," brags Jenny.  Barnabas looks at the photo, then puts the locket down on his desk.  Jenny wanders upstairs, and says, "I am Mrs. Quentin Collins, who are you?"  He introduces himself again.  His family disapproved, says Jenny angrily, because I was a singer--do you like singing?  Yes, he says.  After the children were born, says Jenny, I'd sing them to sleep.  She sinks down in the step and, peering at Barnabas through the railing, sings, "Hushabye," the song about the pretty little ponies.  (a lovely voice, too.)  She stops singing and asks Barnabas if he knows the rest of it.  No, he says regretfully.  Oh, it used to soothe the babies, she says.  "You mean the dolls," he says.  Jenny becomes furious, asking why he keeps calling them that.  The boy, she says--he would fall asleep almost immediately, but the girl, she was more restless.  A boy and a girl, says Barnabas, realization hitting him.  I was afraid some harm would come to them, says Jenny, and I don't know why, but they took my children away.  Where? asks Barnabas.  "They didn't take them anywhere!" she cries--"They're with me!"  This shocks Barnabas.  Of course, she says, this afternoon, I dressed them for the funeral!  She sees the basement door and wants to check it to see if Quentin is down there.  He isn't there, insists Barnabas.  You're lying, like all the others, accuses Jenny--he isn't coming soon, he's here right now, hiding down there, waiting to kill me--well, I'm going to kill him instead!  NO! says Barnabas.  She raises the knife threateningly at him.  "If you try to stop me, I'm going to kill YOU!" wails Jenny.  Barnabas stares at the knife held aloft in her shaking hand.

Barnabas easily disarms Jenny, taking the knife away from her.  She cowers against one of the columns, fearing he will kill her now.  He assures her he won't do that, takes the knife and tosses it into the fireplace.  "No more knife," he assures her.  Quentin is going  to hurt me, says Jenny.  No he won't, says Barnabas.  Why is he coming here? she asks.  He kneels and tells her, "You know why--because he's in love with you--there were other girls, but he married you."  Yes, she says joyously, in a church (imagine Quentin taking vows in a church!)--when is he coming back?  As soon as he can, says Barnabas--you must be ready for him.  I don't understand, she says.  Wash your face, comb your hair, put on a pretty dress, to show Quentin how beautiful you are, urges Barnabas.  Yes, I'd like that, she agrees.  Barnabas leads her upstairs.  Doubts assail her--are you sure Quentin won't hurt me when he gets back?  Barnabas promises he won't--no one will.  Jenny goes upstairs, eager to get pretty for her husband.

Quentin, meanwhile, has gotten himself a gun and is standing on the landing, loading it.  Judith calls to him and asks what he's doing.  Going hunting, he replies.  She's a poor, mad creature, Judith reminds him.  I view her in a different light, says Quentin--she's an animal that has to be struck down ASAP--an animal with a knife.  Judith points out YOU'RE an animal with a gun.  Step aside, orders Quentin--this is my problem and I prefer to handle it alone.

Jenny tells Barnabas I love the room (Josette's) you've brought me to--I'm sorry I have no change, my husband always carries the money--we've only been married two months.  (She thinks Barnabas is a bellhop?)--we're on our way to see his family, she says.  Horror-stricken Jenny spots her hideous reflection in the mirror.  Who is that? she asks Barnabas--that stranger, she scares me.  Barnabas says, I can make her go away--find a comb and some powders, and some dresses in the chest--wear one of them.  Of course, she says, I always makes myself beautiful for Quentin.  She sits down, searching for the comb, but can't find it.  Barnabas looks and finds it for her, then hands it to her.  She thanks him and begins trying to comb out the tangles.  She lets loose with a little scream--the mirror!--I am in the mirror-- then where am I?

When Quentin questions him, Dirk denies letting Jenny out--I know how dangerous she can be, says Dirk.  So does Laura, says Quentin.  Let's stop talking and start looking for her, suggests Dirk.  "YOU?" asks Quentin, when did you join the search party?  I feel badly she got out, admits Dirk.  Judith suggests Dirk help find her.  Yes, says Quentin, you can look near the cottage.

Jenny's hair looks much better.  She ties it back with a ribbon.  Barnabas enters and tells her, I must go now, but you must stay until Quentin comes for you--some people will be here to look after you, he explains.  Do you like the way I look? asks Jenny.  I do, says Barn.  She teases him--you shouldn't flirt with me--Quentin is very jealous.  Quentin will be here soon, he assures her, then locks her in and calls to Magda.  Jenny hears the name.  "Magda?" she says, then pulls a gown out of the trunk.  "Magda--and Sandor!" she says.

Barnabas writes a note.  Hearing the cock crow, he leaves the keys on top of the note, then retires to the basement for his daily slumber.

Quentin enters the Old House, gun in hand.  He finds the note and keys on the desk.  Dear Magda--the woman upstairs in Josette's room, he reads.  Quentin tosses the note into the fire, takes the keys, and heads upstairs, his face a mask of angry determination.  (He looks much like the cruel, unyielding ghost who terrorized the kids now.)

Looking much more presentable with her hair tied back, wearing a pretty green dress, Jenny is talking to her reflection in a hand mirror.  Don't be frightened, she says, it doesn't matter that Quentin's family doesn't like you.  Quentin loves you, that's all that matters.  Fool!  Fool! She falls down on the bed, seemingly asleep.  Quentin knocks at the door.  "Is that you?" she asks.  Yes, he says, it's me.  You were away so long, I was beginning to worry, says Jenny.
"I'm sorry, Jenny," he says, brandishing the gun, "but you'll never have to worry again!"

NOTES:  The scenes between Jonathan Frid and Marie Wallace were poignant, heartbreaking, a true joy to watch.  They played so well off each other, and whatever you think of Jenny, you had to feel sorry for her here.  Why Barnabas kept insisting her babies were dolls when he knows she is insane didn't jive, but now he has another piece of this puzzle in his grasp--a boy and a girl...  You can't blame Quentin for wanting to kill his wife, since she already killed him once, yet you can't help but feel sorry for this poorly used woman who only wanted to love and be loved by Quentin.  Laura is such a bitch, considering she is responsible for the woman's insanity, at least partially, and you see how immoral the Phoenix in human form really is.  Kudos to everyone, but especially Wallace and Frid, for today's shows.

745 - (Grayson Hall) - The time is 1897 and the place is Collinwood.  Barnabas Collins is attempting to unravel the twisted skeins of the past to save two people in the present.  In the Old House in the great estate, dawn has forced him downstairs, leaving in the house above a prisoner--a prisoner that one man would love to kill.

Quentin reads the note about Jenny, intended for Magda, and takes the keys to Josette's room after destroying the note.  Grinning maliciously, Quentin heads upstairs to do away with his insane wife, who has prettified herself for him.  She assures herself that Quentin loves her, and that's all that matters, then calls herself a fool.  Quentin approaches the door, gun in hand, and knocks.  "Quentin, is that you?" asks Jenny eagerly.  Yes, he tells her.  She goes to the door and tells him she was worried, he was away so long.  He apologizes, but assures her, "You will never have to worry again!"

Quentin tries to unlock the door with one of the keys on the ring, assuring Jenny, I'll be with you very soon.  He hears a door slam, tells Jenny not to make a noise, and assures her he will be back.  Beth listens at the door and screams when Quentin leaps out at her.  Jenny asks, "Who's with you?"  Beth grabs for the gun--I she won't let you do this, Quentin!--I'll wake Barnabas, she threatens-- "I will!" she swears.  The both walk away.  Jenny asks Quentin, wasn't I pretty enough?  She looks at her reflection in the mirror, realizing he never saw her.  Why am I so scared, I didn't used to be so silly...I must wait, she resolves, he told me that, and be quiet. . .I don't want to wait! she cries, but he told me to, so I must...she touches her hair nervously, then sits down on the bed, looking like a frightened bride, to wait.

Downstairs, Beth demands Quentin give her the gun.  Are you  that fond of Jenny? asks Q.  Think, Beth begs.  I am, he says, of YOU, he's doing it for you, I swear that--I love you.  She's your wife, objects Beth.  Exactly, says Quentin.  She again asks for the gun.  He insists she return to Collinwood and forget she ever came there.  If I leave now, says Beth, I'll be an accomplice to Jenny's murder.  Quentin promises her she will forget that.  (?)  . . .when we are married, he adds--he hadn't mentioned marriage before.  Beth turns away from him, which puzzles him.  She pulls away when he tries to touch her--all I can think about is what you have in your hand! She cries.  (Hmmm, dirty mind, Robin.)  Beth begs, if you want to marry me. . .  he says I'm not sure I want to, if that's your reaction, he says.
Well, it IS, says Beth--if you shoots her, how will you get away with it--being a Collins?--that's it--the Collins are above the law, but not this time--I myself would make sure--if you kill Jenny, you must kill me, too, she says--will you?  She finds Jenny's locket on the desk.  Your picture is in it, points out Beth--how could you plan to kill her?  He grabs her arm and reminds her Jenny tried to kill ME.  Once, yes, but I won't let her escape again, Beth swears--I don't want you to hang, and you would, she says, and begs again for the gun--"YOU WOULD HANG, QUENTIN!" she says again.  He puts the gun down on the desk.  She asks him to go wake Barnabas.  I want to ask Barnabas why he locked her in that room, says Quentin--a very interesting question.  Beth asks him not to start trouble.  We lock up our pet secrets, muses Quentin, but why should I?  Ask him that, suggests Beth.  I don't know where Barnabas sleeps, says Q.  Go find him, suggests Beth, sitting on the sofa, looking sick.  An exhausted.  Magda comes in and is surprised to see Beth.  Magda is upset to hear that Quentin has gone upstairs to wake Barnabas.  We must see him, insists Beth.  Why? demands Magda.  I can't tell you, says Beth, but it's important--Barnabas will explain it to you.  Beth snatches the locket from the desk, but Magda catches her.  They grapple with each other for a few moments, Magda the victor.  She gasps--it's not yours!--not yours!--I know whose it is!

Magda asks where Beth got it.  I found it here, says Beth.  You know more than you're saying, you're lying, insists Magda--"Tell me!"  Quentin comes downstairs.  Beth will tell you nothing, Magda, he insists--but we need some information.  Magda shows him the locket.  Take it to the jeweler for an appraisal, suggests Quentin--"Where's Barnabas?"--he isn't upstairs.  He went out, says Magda.  He left me here over an hour ago, says Q.
He left suddenly, responds Magda.  You're lying, says Q.  Magda orders him out.  No, I'm going to wait for his return, states Quentin.  Magda says, he won't be back until dusk and tries to evict him again, but Quentin sits down--I have has no intention of going--I want to trade information--I know something you don't.  Beth starts to says that Judith won't. . .   Magda laughs--you are children and should go ask Judith for permission to tell your secrets--go!  We will go, says Quentin--perhaps Barnabas will return.  Not until dusk, says Magda, who sits down and gazes at the locket after they go (I bought myself something very similar around that time).

In Josette's room, Jenny wonders forlornly if Quentin is coming back for her.  He left me all alone!  No, she tells herself, Quentin WILL keep his word, he will come back!  This time will be different, not like the others!  It won't!  (such a pitiful woman!)

Sandor returns to find Magda very upset over the locket.  She shows it to him--it was here!  He examines it.  Impossible, he says.  It must mean something, says Magda.  Don't start, he says, don't ask me questions I can't answer--get my breakfast.  You can yell as much as you want to, she says, but you care about THIS as much as I do.  "She is far, far away," he tells his wife, who pensively holds the locket, "and she's better off for it."  It's a sign, insists Magda.

Jenny listens at the door.  We see a microphone shadow.  She calls to Quentin--"Are you there?"  No response.  I look so pretty in the dress--where is Quentin, and who was that woman?  It was the man who brought me to this room, she tells herself, whose  face hangs at Collinwood.  That man has done something to Quentin, this is his house, he found Quentin and has killed him!  She sobs, "He's killed him!"  She screams for her husband, growing hysterical.  "He's dead!" she sobs, falling onto the bed.

Downstairs, Magda and Sandor hear the noise and run upstairs to investigate.  Jenny is sobbing; Magda recognizes her voice.  As Magda bangs on the locked door, Sandor finds the keys on the floor.  They let themselves in and Magda runs toward Jenny, who screams, "I told you never to speak to me again!"  We were so worried about you when you disappeared from Collinwood! Cries Magda.  GET OUT! rants Jenny--Quentin is coming, you must not see him.  Quentin went to Collinwood, says Sandor.  I told you yesterday I would kill you both if you told him! shouts Jenny.  That was years ago, says Sandor, mystified.  Jenny is confused.  No, she says, it was. . .no, it wasn't.  "Quentin and I are married," says Jenny--"Do you have any idea what it's like to be a Collins?  I am a Collins, Quentin loves me."  Magda points out what Quentin has done to her.  Jenny orders her not to speak to her like that--don't talk of Quentin--YOU GYPSY!  "You are a gypsy, too," says Magda.  (Wow, what a stunning revelation!)  "What I was is not what I am," insists Jenny--what I am is what I will be. . .why did we ever come here?--I looked out the window this morning and there was your caravan--go back where you came from!  Magda asks, do you remember anything since then?  My husband Quentin, says Jenny fondly, where is he, he won't let anyone see me, he loves me so much--he locked me up here. . .no, that wasn't Quentin, who loves me, he does lock me in the room, but only because he doesn't want anyone to see me...  Magda closes her eyes miserably.  No, continues Jenny, Quentin is very jealous, he doesn't want anyone to see me.
"Oh, God, God, she has a devil in her!" mourns Magda--Sandor, get the cross.  Sandor leaves.  Oh, Jenny, cries Magda, sister. . .   Sister? asks Jenny, her face shaking as she falls into Magda's comforting arms.  Magda holds her crying sister and cries, too, patting and soothing her.  Jenny mutters some incoherent words.  I know, Magda assures her--but why did you run away after he left you?  Run away? asks Jenny--oh, yes, she laughs, to my lovely, lovely room, filled with her memories, they put me there so I could remember him.  They kept you locked away all this time? asks Magda, shocked and disgusted.  Quentin never left me, insists Jenny.  We will take care of you, Magda assure her.  No, Quentin will, says Jenny--I don't need you.  No, says Magda, they won't lock you up again, we will go away together, you, Sandor and me.  No, Jenny cries, I must see Quentin.  Yes, and then you will leave, and be as you were before, says Magda.  You won't let me see Quentin, will you? asks Jenny.  Magda assures her, you will, but Jenny doesn't believe her.  Magda calls for Sandor.  When her back is turned, Jenny hits her over the head with a big book.  Magda tumbles to the floor, forcing Grayson Hall to hold her black wig on her head.  "You won't let me see him," says Jenny, "you wouldn't!"  And she wanders away, leaving Magda unconscious and alone for Sandor to find.  He falls to his knees to check on her.

Downstairs, Jenny calls to Quentin, looking for him--are you hiding because they found me? she asks--where?  She opens the unlocked basement door and wanders down there.

Magda tells Sandor to check upstairs for Jenny--I will go downstairs and look outside
--we must find her--she has a devil in her!

Jenny goes down into the basement and finds Barnabas' coffin.  She believes Quentin is in there, dead, and, heartbroken, first clings to the coffin, then starts to open it...

NOTES:  I must say, Beth is very giving.  She is having an affair with Quentin, loves him, yet she wants his wife to stay alive.  She has morals, which makes her a poor companion for the immoral Quentin.  Why was the basement door left unlocked?  Someone was careless!  Another bravura performance by Wallace.  And the amazing revelation that Magda and Jenny are sisters!  Did the family know that Quentin married a gypsy?  Did HE know?  We can only imagine Judith and Edward's disdain over Quentin's wife, if they did know.  What a fascinating development, huh?

Love, Robin