Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0065  (Read 1971 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0065
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0065
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
I do have to admire Burke for his nerve. He barges his way into Collinwood and refuses to leave, knowing all Elizabeth would have to do is call Sheriff Patterson and get hauled out of there and possibly into a jail cell again. He doesn't care, he won't let anyone stop him from confronting Roger.

Roger and Sam both seemed to have good reason to want to see Malloy gone, but at this point I think Roger would have more to lose than Sam. The worse Sam could face is a few years in prison for perjury. If Malloy's death is declared murder and somehow traced to Roger, Roger could face a life sentence. Glad Sam was wise enough not to fall for Roger's scam to leave town...it certainly would look bad for Sam if he ran out. To both the sheriff and Burke.

Burke likes Vicki enough to warn her to get out of dodge before he brings down, or tries to, the Collinses. He likes Vicki but at the same time he doesn't want to be distracted from his vendetta. Vicki is unwilling to oblige him at the moment so whether Burke likes it or not, she is going to stay in the thick of things...more than he'd like.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
The festive and deathly Halloween emoticons are back!   Well, a few are.... this takes awhile as I recall.   I shall be patient, as my minions awaken from their long sleep.

SamRog have taken to holding their frequent "We don't know each other" meetings in public at the local bar.   They don't even keep their voices down.   Bob/Andy/Punchy is going to have a lot of testifyin' to do later...   Does Collinsport do those old-fashioned town meetings?   SamRog should arrange to talk things over at those, where'd they'd be sure of an audience.   Maybe they could get themselves legally declared Siamese twins, too...

I LOLed at Liz's fairly successful (so far) second stab at her Sociability Strategy, with Burke!   There's nothing really left for him to try but physical assault, and what better preparation is there for that, than sharing a nice cup of tea?

More spinning wheels...

[skelleton_runs] [candle_in_skull] [skelleton_runs]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
Elizabeth did get in a good zinger when Burke said he could buy Collinwood: You'd do better in invest your money in learning the rudiments of common courtesy! :D

I love Elizaeth's self-possession as she entertains the man who could very well destroy everything she cares about. But until that happens, she is still the Mistress of Collinwood and courteously offers her guest tea. This may be the first time Burke has actually spoken with Elizabeth. To make conversation, she asks him about his travels, and he is disconcerted by her calm assurance. (Neither of them is disconcerted that an overhead mike can be seen to the left and casts a large shadow on the wall at the right, or that she calls him “Roger” at one point.) Elizabeth is so much the Mistress of Collinwood that the fact that she herself has to make the tea only enhances the effect of her innate poise and self-confidence.

And by the time Vicki arrives and asks Burke what he's doing at Collinwood, he's so completely disarmed that all he can say is, I'm not exactly sure--I think I'm having tea.

It's a measure of his homeless, wandering life that by the end of the episode he tells Elizabeth, I've never felt so at home as I do here at Collinwood.

It doesn't help that he's falling for Vicki either.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:32:18 PM »
Why didn’t Burke listen to the sheriff and stay in his hotel room? He is relentless in his pursuit of Bill’s murderer.

I enjoyed Liz’ killing him with kindness approach. Smooth.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
Burke seems to have lost all his cool and is recklessly revealing his intentions.  I always thought that Elizabeth and Burke played well off each other.  Elizabeth uses the silver tea service instead of the bone china.  She knows the right touches to impress. 
Burke reveals he liked Norway which would be similar to Collinsport and Vickie reveals she wanted to be a bareback rider in the circus which makes one think that she is rather unafraid.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
I do have to admire Burke for his nerve. He barges his way into Collinwood and refuses to leave, knowing all Elizabeth would have to do is call Sheriff Patterson and get hauled out of there and possibly into a jail cell again.
I, on the other hand, admired Elizabeth's nerve.  Burke could have kept her from getting to the telephone, but she kept her composure.  And when she did appear to be about to call the sheriff, she went for the phone that was near Burke, and not for the one that was in the foyer.

I liked the small talk dialogue that Elizabeth was given - asking about Collinsport, reminding us that she herself hasn't seen it in nearly twenty years.  I'm sure she keeps up with what's being built and torn down, however.

This may be the first time Burke has actually spoken with Elizabeth.
No, Elizabeth was there when Carolyn brought Burke home, wasn't she?

It's a measure of his homeless, wandering life that by the end of the episode he tells Elizabeth, I've never felt so at home as I do here at Collinwood.
I wondered if that was a blooper.  Surely Burke meant Collinsport, not Collinwood, and Mitchell Ryan did seem to be having trouble keeping track of his lines today.  I like to imagine Joan Bennett being sort of fed up with Ryan and using it to fuel her acting while her annoyance made Mitch even more blooper-prone - but that's just pleasant speculation.  I'm sure they were all one big happy family.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »
Burke and Liz had a big confrontation early on.  Can't recall the episode numbers, but it's the one where he pretty much smooth-talks Carolyn into bringing him home with her.

I do love how Roger flips when he finds out Burke is at Collinwood in that earlier episode.  Fab work from Edmonds.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »
Ep #10 ends with Burke's first arrival at Collinwood, Ep #11 features his first scenes with Liz, Ep #12 ends with Roger's discovery that Burke is at Collinwood, and then Ep #13 deals with Roger's reaction.

But getting back to this ep, I'm shocked (shocked I tell you! [hall2_wink]) that what is perhaps one of the greatest props ever on the show (secondary only to the THE PEN) makes its debut in this ep, yet no one has thus far mentioned the event.  [hall2_shocked]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
Hey, the afghans beat the pants off the Pen, in the iconic prop department.  Is this what you are suggesting, MB?   One of the afghans reared its whatever, in this episode?!

[skull_winks] [skull_winks] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Nope.

And please - the afghans are nothing compared to THE PEN. They're not even worthy of being in the same room!

The prop I'm referring to has been discussed numerous times, has been showcased in screen caps numerous times (probably even thousands of times if one considers the screen caps posted in the Caption This! and Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) games), and even earned a member a custom title.

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »
You must be referring to Leonardo's Portrait...  [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
Exactly! This ep marks the first time that the portrait of "Leonardo" Collins was seen hanging in its rightful place in the drawing room of Collinwood:

From the topic "*** Be The First To Spot Leonardo's Portrait! ***":
Wow, I can't believe no one's looked this up yet!  I just checked, and the portrait first appeared in episode 65.

Excellent observation, proudhug! "Leo" does indeed appear in Ep #65 when Burke insists on waiting for Roger in the drawing room:

And your keen eyesight has earned you the custom title of '!!! "Leo" Spotter !!!'.  [santa_wink]  [santa_thumb]

And now I can go to add the capture/set up for this topic:
TO BE ANNOUNCED
on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Vicki's Arrival-Burke's Revenge-Matthew Morgan-Introducing Josette" board...

And for being so clever at figuring out which prop I was referring to, verusselle, you've earned yourself a custom title as well - if you would like one.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
I was on the verge of pointing out to you that the Petofi Box appeared many ep's earlier.   I don't pay attention to most of the portraits....

[candle_in_skull]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
How could anyone not take notice of "Leonardo" Collins' portrait?!  [hall2_shocked]  Unlike any other portrait on the show, from the exact same spot in the room it bares silent witness to nearly everything that happens in the drawing room of Collinwood in nearly every storyline, regardless of the time period or band. And combining all that with its placement in the room, it is quite possibly one of the most often seen props in the entire show. So, whether they're aware of it or not, its image has been burned into the memories of every fan of the original DS over and over and over again.  [hall2_wink]