Author Topic: #0059/0060: Robservations 06/28/01: Burke Crashes the Dinner Party  (Read 1294 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #59 - Death has come to Collinwood, forcing the hidden secrets of the past closer to the light--secrets that might provide answers for a man whose probing has but one goal--the truth.

Roger comes downstairs and joins Sheriff Patterson in Collinwood's foyer. Nice painting, remarks Patterson--who is he? Roger stops on the stairs and says it's his great uncle. That would be Benjamin, then, Benjamin Collins, says Patterson (how does he know so much history of the family)? My son told me you were down here waiting to see me, says Roger--it wasn't to discuss my genealogy, was it? I sure wish we had time, says Patterson--the history of your family has always fascinated me--the way they built this town, this house--they knew what they wanted and went after it. Maybe you'd better tell me what it is you want, suggests Roger. Just a little information, it won't take long, says Patterson. I told you all I knew this morning, says Roger. That's the trouble with my job, says Patterson--I see a man in the morning, fill my head with facts, and then something happens and I have to go over the whole thing again. What do you mean, something happens? asks Roger. Well, says the sheriff, for one thing, we fished Malloy's body out of the water, but then you knew that--then with this and that, I just figured maybe you and I had better have another talk--I hope you don't mind, I know you've had a trying day. Not at all, says Roger--I'll be only too glad to help in any way I can--shall we go inside? Fine, says Patterson. They head into the drawing room, where Roger looks perturbed to be doing this all over again.

Roger closes the double doors and offers the Patterson a drink. I sure would like one, but I'm on duty, says the sheriff, but you go ahead. Roger pours a drink, but decides not to drink it (afraid to mess up his head and loosen his tongue)--what was it you want to know? How Malloy died, says Patterson. You've got the autopsy report, what does that show? asks Roger. Asphyxiation due to water entering the lungs, says Patterson--drowning, in other words, but there was more than that--Bill had also received a severe blow to the head. Before he drowned? asks Roger. We can't tell that, and that's one of the problems, says Patterson--you know what the waters are like around here and Bill's body was in the water more than 24 hours, banging up against the rocks. That blow on his head could have come from hitting the rocks, says Roger, sitting on the sofa. Until I know otherwise, says Patterson, that's just what I'm going to have to figure. Poor Bill, says Roger. He wasn't a pretty sight, says Patterson, sitting down, I can tell you that. It's just so horrible, says Roger, to know a man for that long and to think of him ending up that way--how could a thing like that have happened? There are several possibilities--he could have slipped on a rock and fallen into the water, suggests Patterson, he might have been drunk, he could have jumped for some reason or other--or pushed. Pushed?--that's ridiculous, says Roger.
I know it sounds strange, says Patterson, knowing Bill and how well liked he was in this town, but you know how it is, I can't close the file drawer until I've gone over every possibility. Now you're talking about murder, says Roger. It's just talk, says Patterson--all I really know is that Bill died in the water--how he got there is what I have to work out. I'll be glad to do anything I can to help you, says Roger, rising from the sofa. I'm glad to hear you say that, says Patterson, because it just might be you can help me a great deal. Roger looks at him. Your sister, too, perhaps, says Patterson.

Liz comes downstairs just as Vicki returns, arms loaded with wrapped packages. I thought you were spending the day in town, says Liz. I spent all my money, so I had to come back, says Vicki--actually, I came back to get change, I'm going out again. We're going to have dinner early tonight, says Liz. That's what I wanted to tell you, says Vicki--I won't be here for dinner--I'm meeting a friend. The doors open and Roger tells Liz he was just coming out to fetch her. Is it all right? Vicki asks Liz. Of course, says the older woman, I'm glad you've been able to make some friends in Collinsport. Vicki goes upstairs. Liz asks Roger what's going on. Something rather personal and private, he tells her, watching Vicki heading upstairs. What friends was she talking about? he asks his sister. I don't know, says Liz, someone she's having dinner out--what is it you wanted? Roger, still watching Vicki on the landing, doesn't answer at first, and Liz repeats his name. We have a visitor, says Roger--the sheriff--I told him you were resting, but he was rather insistent. What does he want, he was here this morning, says Liz. I gather he wants to ask more questions, says Roger. Let's go inside, she says. Liz, before you go in, he says, I want you to be sure you remember one thing--I'm your brother. (And all this is said within Patterson's hearing.)

And, as I told your brother, says Patterson to Liz, the blow on Bill's head was probably caused by his being thrown up against the rocks--the action of the water, I mean. What do you mean, probably, asks Liz--what other explanation could there be? The sheriff thinks Bill could have been murdered, says Roger. You can't mean that, protests Liz. I only mentioned it as a vague possibility I'd be only too happy to cross off my list, says Patterson--Mr. Collins, this morning when you were talking about the last time you saw Bill Malloy alive, you said it was about 10 o'clock on the night he died. That's right, says Roger. And it was then he asked you to go to your office at 11 for a meeting. What's the point in going over all this again? asks Liz. I'm just trying to fill in the blank spaces, says Patterson, like what your brother was doing between 10 and 11 that night. Liz looks at Roger--surely you aren't considering Roger a suspect in your imaginary murder? Asks Liz. That's all right, says Roger, I can answer these questions, I have nothing to hide--Bill and I talked here in this room until about 10 after 10--then he left--he said he went home. Which he did, says Patterson, because his housekeeper said he got home at 20 after--after he left, what did you do? I don't know, says Roger, I had a drink, I think, then I went to this ridiculous meeting. Did you happen to make any phone calls before you left? asks Patterson. Yes, says Roger, hedging, I called the Coast Guard for a weather report. Any other calls? asks Patterson. No, says Roger. You're sure of that? persists the sheriff. Look, says Roger impatiently, you asked me a question and I answered it! So you did, chuckles Patterson. What difference does it make whether Roger made a phone call or not? asks Liz. None, probably, just another loose end, says Patterson--Bill's housekeeper said he received a phone call about 10:30, and I was wondering who it was. It wasn't me, says Roger, walking away. (Couldn't they trace phone calls in those days?) Let's get back to the meeting, suggests Patterson, flipping through his notes--you got back to the office at what time? Eleven o'clock, says Roger--well, to be more precise, one minute after 11. And what time did you leave your house? questions Patterson. I left this house at 10 of 11, says Roger, irritated. You're sure of that, says Patterson. Yes, replies Roger. Did anyone see you leave? asks Patterson. Just a minute, says Liz, rising from the sofa--I see no reason why my brother should be subjected to this kind of interrogation by you or anyone else. When Bill's body hit the water, says Patterson, his watch bumped up against something--a rock, probably--and it stopped--at exactly 10:45. Roger looks uncomfortable. And you think that Roger...begins Liz. I'm not thinking anything, ma'am, says Patterson, these are just loose ends and I've got to clear them up. Did anyone see you leave the house? Liz asks her brother. No, says Roger. But you were still here at 10:45? asks Liz. Yes, responds Roger--it's exactly a 10 minute drive to my office--I left here at 10 of 11 and drove directly there. I see, says Patterson--then, you, Burke Devlin and Sam Evans all went to your office at 11 at Malloy's request. Yes, says Roger. And you didn't have any idea what this meeting was to be about, says Patterson. Malloy said he would explain when he got there, says Roger. But he never did because he died 15 minutes before the meeting was supposed to begin, says Patterson--Mrs. Stoddard, this morning when you were telling me about Bill's state of mind, that he was upset because--and I think these were your words--he had something important to do--am I right? I believe that's what I said, Liz agrees. Would you mind telling me what that important matter was? asks Patterson. Yes I would mind, says Liz, it's an entirely personal matter. Did it have anything to do with Burke Devlin? asks Patterson. Liz doesn't reply. Did Malloy tell you that he was planning to clear Burke Devlin of the murder charge that sent him to prison 10 years ago? demands Patterson. He was WHAT? bursts out Roger. I'm asking your sister, says Patterson, holding out a warning hand. He said he was going to try to keep Burke from harassing our family, says Liz. Did he say how? asks Patterson. No, says Liz. You realize, of course, that clearing Burke Devlin of that charge would incriminate someone else, says Patterson. Sheriff, says Roger, I think you'd better come right out and say what you mean. I spoke to Burke earlier today, says Patterson, he said that meeting had a very definite purpose--to clear him of that manslaughter charge. He said THAT? demands Roger--Liz, did you hear that?--did you hear what Burke told the sheriff? Yes I did, says Liz significantly. What else did he tell you? asks Roger--did he tell you that Malloy was trying to say that I was responsible for this crime? Something like that, yes, says Patterson. And what about Sam Evans, asks Roger--I suppose Burke said he was possibly a mystery witness. Burke said he didn't know why Evans was there, says the sheriff, but he figured it was probably something like that, yes. Listen very well, orders Roger, because now I'm going to tell you something--there is not one shred of truth to Burke's story--none at all!
Then he lied, says Patterson. Yes, agrees Roger. Is that what you think? Patterson asks Liz. You heard my brother, didn't you? asks Liz, giving him one of her most imperious looks. (And so Liz supports her brother, as he asked her to in the first place.)

David cheerily greets Vicki as he enters her room. She's getting ready for dinner at the Evans'. You're certainly in a good mood, aren't you? she asks him, grinning. He's wearing a suit and tie, a crest on the jacket, and carrying some large pieces of paper. Yes, he says--want to know a secret?--after today, I'm not going to see my father anymore--he's going to prison. The smile fades from Vicki's face. That's not a very good joke, she chides him.
It's true, says David--the sheriff is downstairs right now, arresting him for murder--and I have evidence that will help send him to prison. Vicki asks what evidence. The sheriff came here a little while ago and asked to see my father, explains David, and it's about Mr. Malloy. And he said he was going to arrest him for murder? asks Vicki. Why else would he come? asks David. You're terrible! says Vicki, smiling. I'm not as bad as my father--I never killed anyone, says David (no, you just tried). Neither did he, says Vicki--the sheriff probably came to ask him some questions, and it's very wrong to say the things you do. Mr. Malloy was murdered and my father murdered him, states David--when Vicki turns away, dismissing him, he says, all right, don't believe me--but it's true. Then you're the only one who thinks so, says Vicki--Mr. Malloy drowned, no one killed him, not your father or anyone else. You're just saying that because you're scared it will happen to you, says David--my father doesn't like you, either, and you're scared he'll do the same thing to you he did to Mr. Malloy--he'll push you--and you'll fall and scream, and no one will hear you because you'll be dead--maybe that's just what you deserve! He starts to leave in a huff, but she stops him and asks him how he knows his father killed Mr. Malloy. I know, that's all, he says. Did you see anything? she asks. No, he says. Did you hear anything? she asks. Of course not--he wouldn't talk about it! says David. Then how can you say you know? asks Vicki. The widows told me, he says, and they never lie--I also saw it in my crystal ball, and that doesn't lie to me, either--I even figured out on charts just where it happened, using tides and ocean currents--and I know just where it happened--you want to see? He places the papers on her bed and starts flipping through the pages. She tells him she doesn't want to talk about it. But if I show you the spot, you'll know where to stay away from, he says. I'm not interested, she insists--now please, I've got to get ready to go out. She opens her door, making is clear she wants him to go. You know, he says, I don't care if he DOES kill you! (And here I thought they were making progress.)

Liz and Roger are seated in the drawing room. Patterson says the one thing he doesn't understand is what Burke Devlin would have to gain by lying about the purpose of that meeting--would you know, Mrs. Stoddard? I have no idea, she says. Well, says Patterson, I have two stories here, Burke's and your brother's--each exactly the opposite. There's a third man involved, says Roger. That's true, says Liz, have you questioned him? Yes, says Patterson, and he said exactly the same as Roger--he had no idea what the meeting was about. That should settle it, insists Roger, wouldn't you say? I wish it were that easy, says Patterson--poor Bill, if he knew what his drowning was stirring up. Nothing is being stirred up, says Roger, rising from his chair--don't you see that?--it's only what Burke is doing. It's enough, opines Patterson. Burke has never forgiven me for testifying at his trial, insists Roger--he would do anything to cause me as much anguish as possible--his story is completely false! All right, says Patterson, thanking them--I'll be in touch, he says. Roger volunteers to see him to the door. Liz tells her brother she wants to see him, and Roger says in a minute--to Patterson, he says, you were involved in that investigation that led to Burke's trial--don't you know whether he's guilty or not? (Was it Patterson or Carter? They are two different lawmen, right?) That's part of my problem, says Patterson. David joins them in the foyer and asks the sheriff, "Aren't you taking him with you?" Patterson chuckles and asks who. Go upstairs, Roger orders his son. That's all right, says Patterson, a hand on David's shoulder--did you think I was going to arrest your father? Yes, says David. I was thinking of it, says Patterson, but he kind of talked me out of it--what have you got there? A chart, says David--it shows exactly where Mr. Malloy's body went into the water--here, I made it for you. He hands it over to the sheriff, who thanks him and says he'll take it along to the office and study it--that's quite a boy you have there, Mr. Collins. Yes, agrees Roger. Patterson says he'll be in touch and suggests to David that he keep up the detective work, then leaves. Roger and David exchange ugly looks, walking in opposite directions, and the father turns back to gaze at his son, who looks back stoically.

David listens at the closed drawing room doors as Roger protests to Liz that, for the love of heaven, they went through the same conversation this morning. He pours a drink. Not the same, corrects Liz, not at all--I hadn't lied for you this morning. Lied? he asks. You were right here when George asked me why Bill was upset, says Liz, and if it had anything to do with Burke's manslaughter conviction. All right and you said no, you lied, what else could you say, what good would it do to rake up all that old nonsense? asks Roger. Was it nonsense? asks Liz, as Roger takes a slug from his glass, or was Burke telling the truth? You heard what I told the sheriff, didn't you? asks Roger. I'm not the sheriff, Liz reminds him, didn't Bill call that meeting because he thought he could clear Burke? Roger puts down his glass and says he isn't going to answer that question. You'd better answer it, says Liz severely--did you or didn't you know why Bill called that meeting? I did not! says Roger. I'm not sure I believe you, says Liz. Fine, believe Burke, says Roger--forget his threats and believe him! Should I also forget that Bill came to see me the day he died, asks Liz, and said that he could prove you were responsible for the crime that sent Burke to prison?--should I forget that Mr. Evans had come to see me, a man I hadn't seen in almost 20 years came to see me that very same day? Do you know why he was here? asks Roger, sinking down onto the sofa. No, says Liz, but he was here, he was also in your office with you and Mr. Evans at Bill's request--putting these facts together seems to lend some credence to Burke's story. All right, says Roger, I'll tell you the truth. Yes? asks Liz. David listens outside the door. I'm afraid all your suspicions are absolutely correct, every one of them, says Roger--Bill learned a fact that I have been trying to hide for 10 years--the fact that I testified falsely against Burke, because I was responsible for the crime that he was charged with--it was either him or me, Liz--I had to choose, so I chose to save myself--Bill threatened to expose me, and called this meeting to do so--again, I had a choice--and again I chose--so I killed Bill Malloy--I hit him over the head with a rock, and threw his body into the water. Liz, breathing heavily, insists she doesn't believe him--it can't be true! Roger rises and gets right in her face. Of course it isn't true! he cries, not one ugly word of it is true! Then how could you. .why? asks Liz. Because I was being your mirror, he says, saying out loud what you were saying in your mind--and that's the way it sounds--that's the way those unspoken accusations in your mind sound--it's pretty, isn't it? Horrible! says Liz. Believe me, he says, and realize that those suspicions were planted in your mind by the mouthings of a neurotic man who's bent on trying to destroy me!
Liz rises and faces him, saying how deeply sorry she is. On the other side of the door, Vicki catches a disappointed David eavesdropping and tells him that isn't very nice. I heard it! says David excitedly, I heard him say he killed Mr. Malloy! David! chides Vicki. But it's true! insists David--I heard him! Roger and Liz exit the drawing room. Roger asks his son if he's still playing detective. They'll get you, you wait and see! warns David, and runs off. The three adults look after him as he pounds his way upstairs. What's wrong with him? asks Liz. Just his imagination, says Vicki--I'd better get going. I hear you have a dinner appointment this evening, says Roger. Yes, says Vicki, with Maggie Evans and her father--good night. She leaves. Roger looks unhappy. Maggie Evans' father, repeats Liz--is that Sam Evans? Roger says yes. Why should it brother you that Miss Winters was seeing him? asks Liz. It doesn't concern me in the least, says Roger, heading upstairs, but Liz doesn't looks as if she quite believes this.

NOTES: For a second there, it sounded like Roger really was confessing, didn't it? The thing is, we know he's guilty of framing Burke, with Sam's help--but what about Malloy's murder--did he do that, too, for real? What tight, intense acting in these shows, and the writing, while repetitive sometimes, is top-notch.

David is such a hoot, unabashed in his hatred for Roger, who becomes more of a bastard every day. He was SO hoping he could help the sheriff lock up his father, but was disappointed when it didn't come to pass. However, he did hear the entire conversation that took place between Roger and Liz, so didn't he hear the last part, where Roger tells Liz it's all untrue? Or did David just hear what he wanted to?

Patterson is very methodical, and it's fun to watch him put this case together, like a puzzle, fitting in as many pieces as he can. Problem is, he's got Liz obstructing justice by lying for her brother. Roger hit her in her most vulnerable spot--family--and he knew she would lie for him. Then again, he lied to Vicki for her, so it must be a family thing all around. And Patterson has no evidence anyone murdered Malloy.

For a few moments, it looked like David was getting along better with Vicki, wanting to show her his research--but he should know already that she won't listen to bad stories abut his father. David figures HE was ready to murder his father, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree--Roger could have killed Malloy, too, and it would get him out of David's life, which is what the kid really wants.

Episode #60 - Collinwood at night, its towers a dark mass against a threatening sky, a symbol of a mystery I cannot solve--that brings me to a cottage not far from the waterfront--that might hold the answers I've been waiting so long to hear.

Maggie, Vicki holding the door open, enters the cottage, arms laden with packages. She warns Vicki that he father's an artist, so don't expect everything to be neat. Vicki promises to be prepared for the worst. Maggie looks around and decides it's neither the best nor the worst, but somewhere in-between. She sets the packages down on the art table and calls to Pop. It's charming, says Vicki. It's all right if you like palettes in your chairs, laughs Maggie, removing one--and an occasional paintbrush in your soup--make yourself comfortable--I'm going to rouse Pop and tell him we have company for dinner She exits. Vicki takes off her coat and hangs it on a hook by the door. She glances at a painting on the easel. Maggie comes out and says he's not home--they'll just have to surprise him. Did your father do all these paintings? asks Vicki. Every blessed one of them, says Maggie--he's pretty good, isn't he?--you'd better say yes. I think he's wonderful, says Vicki. Now I know we're going to be friends, chuckles Maggie. Vicki grins at her. There's a pile more over here, says Maggie, why don't you look through them, while I unpack these groceries. Let me help you, says Vicki, and Maggie, lifting up both bags, says she won't keep her from admiring her father's paintings--he'd kill her! She returns to the kitchen as Vicki looks through the paintings. She picks one out and holds it in better light, then at her own reflection in the mirror. She begs Maggie to come out now--this is really important!
What's all the excitement? asks Maggie. Did your father do this painting? asks Vicki. He painted everything in this house, Maggie says--including the walls, if you really want to know--why? Take a look at it, says Vicki, holding out a framed picture of a woman who looks just like her, dark hair piled on top of her head. That's an oldie, says Maggie--where did you ever find that--it's been here as long as I can remember. In that stack over there, says Vicki, pointing--I want you to look at it very carefully, then look at me. What am I supposed to be seeing? asks Maggie. Gesturing to the picture, Vicki says around the nose and mouth--don't you think it looks like me? Yes, a little, agrees Maggie--she could pass for your sister. Do you know who she is? asks Vicki eagerly. No, says Maggie, I told you, my father could have done it 30 years ago. Do you think he'd know? asks Vicki anxiously. He might, says Maggie. I hope he does, says Vicki--this could be so important! Maggie tells her not to get so excited--it could just be a coincidence. Vicki sits down with the painting, saying I know--but I really can't afford to pass up something like this--something that might be the answer to everything I've been looking for. I agree, says Maggie, when my father gets here, we'll ask him--maybe he can remember--you really hang on, don't you? Every night in the foundling home, says Vicki, I used to lie in bed and stare at the dark and pray that when I woke up in the morning, I'd know who I really was--it's a common disease for all the others there, too--looking for answers. Have you ever thought what would happen if you found the answers and they weren't what you wanted to hear? asks Maggie kindly. Anything would be better than not knowing, says Vicki. I wonder, says Maggie. How can you say that? demands Vicki--every night when your father comes home, he's real, a person you've known your whole life! Is he? asks Maggie--you be in your dreams--I'm going to start supper. Vicki gazes at the painting, which so closely resembles her, it appears she could have sat for it. (Good points on both sides. Maggie probably thinks her father is someone she doesn't know anymore).

Patterson, in his office, answers the phone. He's here again? he asks--OK, send him in--and what about that tide chart--isn't it finished yet?--all right, I'll come out in a couple of minutes then. Burke bursts in and Patterson suggests they ought to give him a desk around here. What's happening with Bill Malloy? asks Burke. If there are any reports to make, you'll hear about it, says Patterson. Have you questioned Roger and Sam yet? Yup, says Patterson. Well what did they say? asks Burke impatiently. I haven't had a chance to do much eating today, warns Patterson--don't make me spoil my digestion by getting angry at you. He takes a cup of water from the cooler. It's been some time now since Malloy's body was fished out of the water, Burke reminds him. You'll just have to be as patient as I am, say the sheriff. I suppose you don't know anything about what's caused his death? asks Burke. The autopsy report said he drowned, says Patterson. That report also said he was hit on the head, Burke reminds him. That could have happened after he was in the water, bumping up against the rocks. You still believe that, after talking to Collins and Evans, you still believe that! says Burke, incredulous. You're pretty hot about this, aren't you? asks Patterson. If Malloy was murdered, says Burke, I was the person responsible put away. Roger or Sam, you mean, says Patterson, picking up his sandwich. Yes, says Burke. What about Burke Devlin? asks the sheriff. I had no reason to want him dead--but they did! says Burke--and if you don't do something about it, so help me, I will. Patterson takes a big bite of his sandwich.

When I write my autobiography, jokes Maggie, I'm going to name you the champion potato peeler of all time. You ought to see me mince onions--I'm ever better at that! says Vicki. The two women sit on the sofa. Tears and all? asks Maggie. By the bucket, says Vicki, smiling. You can take that apron off now, says Maggie, there's nothing to do but sit back and let it cook--I hope you're hungry. I will be, don't you worry, says Vicki, removing the apron. What's a kitchen like up at Collinwood? asks Maggie. Spooky and scary, like the rest of the house, says Vicki. A spooky kitchen, that's one I've never heard of! says Maggie excitedly. Every time you open the door of the oven, you have to be really careful, because there's an old witch getting ready to push you in and make a meal out of you, jokes Vicki--and on top of the stove, they have open fires and huge cauldrons on top, and you have to stir and stir. Maggie laughs as Vicki imitates stirring, and both women quote "double, double, toil and trouble," giggling. It's just a kitchen, says Vicki, bigger than yours--haven't you ever been up there? Are you kidding? Asks Maggie--that first night you landed here and I told you I'd never set foot near that place, I meant it--there are enough spooks around here without going up to Widows' Hill to look for more. Spooks in this place? Asks Vicki. Sure, says Maggie, pointing to the painting Vicki found--there's one, maybe--there are others--have you ever seen a ghost up there. Once, maybe, says Vicki, during a thunderstorm, all the lights went out, I was down in the drawing room, and suddenly there was a flash of lightning, and in the doorway was this black, hooded figure--I called out, but it didn't answer--and then there was another lightning flash, and it was gone. Weren't you scared? Asks Maggie. Terrified, what do you think? asks Vicki. I think you're nuts to stay there, that's what I think, says Maggie, and begins adding silverware to the elegantly set table. Vicki explains that it might not have been a ghost, but Mr. Collins. Even so, says Maggie, the things that are digging at that family came along long before you ever got there--search or no search, I wouldn't stay up at Collinwood. All big houses have stories and legends attached to them, says Vicki, but I just can't let them drag me away until I've found the answers I'm looking for. Answers, says Maggie--I wasn't talking about any 200 year old ghost story--you've got strong nerves, maybe you can stand that kind of thing--I know I couldn't--the trouble started about 10 years ago--believe me, I think they've just hit the boiling point. Are you talking about Burke Devlin's trial? Asks Vicki. Yes, says Maggie. It's funny, says Vicki, ever since I've come here, that's all anyone's ever talked about--but no one will tell me what really happened. Maybe no one knows or wants to tell, suggests Maggie, as Sam returns home. No one wants to tell what? asks Sam, removing his hat. Vicki greets Sam, who asks if she isn't a long way from the hill. Vicki's going to be our dinner guest, says Maggie, go get washed up, Vicki and I have all sorts of things we want to ask you about. Sam nods, but doesn't look thrilled. He goes into what we presume is the bathroom, first giving both women an odd glance. Maggie shrugs her shoulders. Not exactly a bundle of cheer, is he? she asks Vicki.

Burke is sitting on top of the sheriff's desk, looking over a paper in his hand. Patterson apologizes for having to walk out on him like that, but he had to get something--of course, if you're in a hurry, there isn't much sense in hanging around. I'm not leaving here until I get some kind of answer, insists Burke. this seems to be your day for making threats, says Patterson--first you threaten to do something about Evans and Collins, now you're pulling a sit down strike in my office--my advice to you is to slow down, boy, right now--he snatches away the paper Burke's been reading--and stay away from the papers on my desk! Is that part of the official report? Asks Burke--it looks like something a 10 year old kid might have drawn up. Nine, says Patterson--David Collins tried to figure out where Malloy's body landed in the water--he wasn't too far off, either. You've got that figured? Asks Burke. Yes, roughly, based on tides, ocean currents and so on, says Patterson, gazing at the paper--his body could have hit the water in three different spots. Where are they? asks Burke, coming around to look over Patterson's shoulder---but the sheriff turns it over so he can't see it. Come on, what difference does it make? asks Burke. Patterson relents and shows Burke the drawing--Malloy's house is on the water, it could have been there, says Patterson--Simms Cove, too, about two miles north of the cannery--and at Lookout Point. That's halfway between Bill's house and the cannery, says Burke. I know, says Patterson. Do you also know Bill was in the habit of walking to the cannery from his house? Uh huh, says Patterson. Doesn't that mean anything to you? asks Burke. What do you think it should mean? asks Patterson. That he was murdered on the way to the meeting! says Burke. If he was murdered, says Patterson. What do you mean, if? Asks Burke--I told you about the motive and the meeting! Yup, says the sheriff. You've seen Roger and Sam and talked to them about it, haven't you? asks Burke. Yup, says the sheriff tiredly.
Doesn't that suggest something to you? demands Burke. Nope--somebody's lying, says Patterson.

What do you mean, somebody's lying? asks Burke, sitting on the sheriff's desk--Malloy invited me, Collins and Evans to the meeting--he knew that if I wasn't guilty, Roger had to be. And Evans was going to help prove that? asks Patterson. Yes, says Burke. How? asks Patterson. I thought you would have figured that out by now, says Burke--you spoke to Evans, didn't you? Yes, says Patterson, and Collins, I went over your whole story with them, sentence by sentence, they didn't agree with it--both said you were lying--according to them, Malloy never said anything about your manslaughter trial. And according to me, THEY lied--both of them, says Burke. Patterson gives him a look and says somebody lied, that's for sure. So, this is where it ends, says Burke--Malloy dies and nothing happens! I don't have any proof, none whatsoever, says Patterson, that Malloy was murdered! I gave you proof and motive! Says Burke. You gave me a story that's been contradicted by two other men, points out Patterson. Aren't you forgetting that Roger Collins is a pretty good liar? asks Burke. Aren't you forgetting that a jury didn't seem to think so? counters Patterson. What do you want me to do? asks Burke--say that he's so good he fooled everybody with it?--he was lying then and he's lying now--and Evan is lying--and one of them murdered Bill Malloy--and if you want to sit around here playing Truth or Consequences--not me!--I'm not about to let them get away with it! He starts to leave, and Patterson orders him to come back. No! blares Burke, you can tell me not to play detective. You listen to me, commands the sheriff, if you get any ideas about taking this into your own hands, I'm going to pull you in here, put you in a cell, and forget there ever was a key! They stare each other down, and Burke angrily leaves. Patterson looks pissed, too.

Cottage - Sam smokes his pipe, telling Vicki what an interesting story that is--he had no idea she was searching for a family. Yes indeed, says Vicki. How do you like that? asks Maggie, carrying in a tray, she doesn't know when she's well off! I trust you were joking, says Sam, and Maggie laughs and kisses him--dinner will be ready in 15 minutes, she tells them, and returns to the kitchen. I'm glad you're here, says Sam to Vicki, it's been rather trying here for her these past times--she hasn't been laughing like she used to lately--how can I be of help to you? It's about this painting, says Vicki, handing it to him--do you remember who the model was? He takes it and gazes at it, then says it is an old one--not bad, pretty good, he remarks--amazing how your brush stroke changes in 25 years. Is that how old it is? asks Vicki. Far as I can recall, somewhere in the vicinity of...you know something, she looks a bit like you--or rather you look a bit like her, especially around the nose and mouth. That's why I want to know who she is, says Vicki. I know she was a local girl, says Sam--Hansen--no, Betty Hanscomb
--she was a lovely girl. Do you know anything about her? asks Vicki. I knew a great deal about her in those days, says Sam, sucking on his pipe. I heard that, Pop, says Maggie, returning to the room. That was before I married your mother, he says--I'm afraid this has no connection with you, because Betty left town about six months after I painted this--then I heard she had died about five or six months later--so you weren't even born then. Does she have any family? asks Vicki hopefully. Sam thinks and says her parents are both dead--no other relatives--sorry. Vicki looks dejected and says, "So am I." Wait a minute, says Maggie--Hansen--wasn't that the fella that Burke killed? No, Hanscomb, with a "C", says Sam. Sorry, says Maggie, I was in the kitchen, I thought you said Hansen. You were wrong, he says, rising from the chair. Before you came in, says Maggie, Vicki and I were talking about Burke--she said she never really knew about the accident--we thought maybe you'd tell her about it. I don't think it would be of any interest to her, remarks Sam. Oh, but it would, says Vicki. All ancient history, says Sam--Maggie, why did you have to bring this up? Why not? asks Maggie, is there any reason you don't want to talk about it? I can think of far better ways to entertain a guest? Says Sam. Maggie asks Vicki if she wants to hear about it. I've been hearing so much about it, says Vicki, exactly what did happen. Sam looks miserable as he sucks on his pipe.

This is a local incident of very little importance, says Sam, smoking his pipe. It seemed pretty important to Burke and Roger Collins, says Maggie. I haven't learned a thing about myself, says Vicki, I might as well learn something about Burke. Very cut and dried, says Sam--Burke was driving a car at night, hit someone in the road, killed him, kept on going, tried for manslaughter and convicted, that's the whole story. Pop! chastises Maggie--what about Roger Collins and his wife? His wife was involved? Asks Vicki. Sam pours a drink. She was in the car, says Vicki--tell her all about it, Pop! What are you trying to do--make me the local historian? Asks Sam. I don't want to make you anything, says Maggie, I just want to learn the story. It started in a tavern, says Sam, on a Bangor road--the name of the place doesn't matter, I don't remember--Roger and Burke were there, and Roger's wife, Laura. She wasn't his wife then, was she? asks Maggie. No, agrees Sam, drinking, Collins and Burke were very good friends then, they used to run around together--that's how Laura met Collins--she's been Burke's girl at first, then he introduced her to Collins and you know how these things are--they were at this tavern and had a lot to drink, and they left--together--Burke was so drunk that one of the men in the tavern had to help him out to the car--all three of them, Collins, Burke and Laura, came in Burke's car--Burke insisted on driving, that's the way it was--he got behind the wheel and they all drove off, then...then... Is that when he hit the man? asks Vicki. Yes, says Sam, tightly wound, Maggie, I just don't think there's any point in going on with this story. You have to take the shoe off the other foot, insists Maggie, can't leave it right there. Man was hit, and killed, says Sam, the car kept going, the police were able to trace the car to Burke--he insisted he hadn't been driving but was too drunk to be absolutely positive. What about Mr. Collins and his wife? asks Vicki--wouldn't they know? They seemed to, says Maggie, they both testified at the trial and swore Burke was driving--they were married a week later. And Burke says they were both lying, says Vicki--is that where the trouble is? Burke doesn't know absolutely anything! says Sam. Are you sure of that? Asks Maggie. No, he goes around screaming about something he doesn't know anything about, says Sam--he was drunk at the time!--Collins testified to that--Collins ought to know! The phone rings, and Sam angrily says if they're going to have dinner, they should eat it right now. He answers the phone--it's Patterson, asking if Burke Devlin has been up your way tonight. No, why? asks Sam. Just checking, says Patterson--if he does show up, maybe you should call my office and let me know. Why? asks Sam--what are you expecting to do? Probably nothing, says Patterson, but he's a pretty hot-headed young man, and I've got enough trouble on my hands right now, so if he does come around, just be careful--and don't be afraid to call me if you need me. Sure, agrees Sam, hanging up. Maggie asks who it was. Just a friend, says Sam, nothing important--lock the door and we'll sit down and have food. Sure, says Maggie. Sam directs Vicki where to sit. There's a loud knock at the door. Sam starts to order Maggie not to open it, but Burke is already inside, greeting Maggie and asking if he's disturbing them. We were just sitting down to dinner, she tells him.
Burke steps into the room and faces Sam, asking if there's room for one more.

NOTES: Betty Hanscomb? Is she supposed to be Vicki's mother at this point in the story? Seems like it, but I stick with the concept that Liz is Mama. I consider this a red herring.

Burke is in Sam's home, will he actually do anything rash, angry as he is? Now we know the whole story, but we also know that Roger WAS driving, and that Sam was paid off to lie--and perhaps Laura, too, in the form of marriage to Roger.

Burke has his own ways of getting at the truth, much like a bull in a china shop, and he just wants justice brought against the men who sinned against him--will he do what the sheriff is refusing to do for lack of evidence? We shall see!

Love, Robin