Author Topic: Joel Crothers truly got to SHINE in the 1795 storyline!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline A.C.

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Joel Crothers truly got to SHINE in the 1795 storyline!
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
I can imagine when he was playing Joe Haskell he was basically collectingn a pay check...but when they cast him as schemer Nathan Forbes in 1795 they really struck gold...

He  had a lot of charisma as he was charming Millilcent Collins all the while plotting his windfall. Forbes was a true highlight of that storyline and I can imagine it was tough for Joel to go back to playing the somewhat bland Joe after it was all over.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Crothers truly got to SHINE in the 1795 storyline!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
The treacherous Nathan Forbes was one of the best parts of the 1795 story line. I know he was in other soaps, but I don't know if he got such plum roles on those.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
Crothers took a lively interest in his work, and if you check out the earlier 1966-67 episodes you'll see more layers to Joel Crothers' portrayal of Joe Haskell  than you may expect.

One of the fans who moderates these boards has a scan of an interesting interview Crothers did after he left DS in which he reveals he wrote some scripts when he was on.  Unfortunately he never received screen credit, and the fact does not seem to be mentioned in any of the books published by the Pomegranate Press on the series--I haven't seen it mentioned, in any event.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
It's lovely to know he was so creative. And I always thought there was a lot more to him that Carolyn ever realized--until too late, of course.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
Joel Crothers was such a versatilie actor to go from playing the good-natured Joe Haskell, to the scheming scounderal Nathan Forbes.

Yes, the pre-Barnabas episodes show that there is more to Joe than you might have expected to have seen from him judging from the Barnabas era. Although he did have some juicy material to work with during the Nicholas/Angelique [spoiler]as a vamp[/spoiler] saga and of course...[spoiler]once he found out the truth about his werewolf cousin Chris Jennings, which led to Joe's going off the deep end.[/spoiler] As tragic as it was, it did allow Crothers to really shine.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
He was always one of my favorite actors on the show, and moved between Joe and Nathan with surprising ease. His portrayal of Joe allows us to see that [spoiler]there's a lot more to him than Carolyn--to her later regret--ever suspects.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
I'm watching 1966 now, and apparently there's more for an actor to do with the part of the "nice guy" than I'd have thought.   When Joe's suffering, Joel can do some really good acting.   Once Barnabas arrives, not just Joe but most of the established characters have their personalities and life-situations "neutralized".   They become generic bland protagonists, who have to stand in the background wondering what's going on, while the new characters handle the real business.   I don't think any actor can make that interesting.

Forbes Part One was a nice guy too, so the transition was easy and gradual.   Later Forbes and 1968/9 Joe let Joel do a lot more of course.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:08 AM »
I've been rewatching the episodes from the introduction of Barnabas on recently (while tethered to the sewing machine) and I am just on the verge of hitting 1795, Joel's performance as Nathan Forbes is one of the characters and performances I am really looking forward to rewatching!

I think I remember reading somewhere that he lamented he didn't get to play a character like Quentin, I always wondered what he meant by that because Forbes and Quentin were both such scoundrels (and great characters!)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
I'm rewatching the very beginning leading up to Barnabas.   The Joe Haskell character is certainly one of the main characters, what with his relationship to the Collinses and Burke Devlin.  He was quite good at portraying a nice guy getting the shaft from the snobby rich girlfriend.  I understand that he graduated school with a very high standing, which the name of escapes me now.  He was outstanding as Nathan Forbes.  However, I do think that his portrayal as the victim of Angelique wasn't quite up to snuff.  He seemed very uncomfortable IMO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »
Nathan was so much fun as Nathan.   He was an amazing actor.   I really enjoyed him in The Phoenix storyline as well.  As for him talking about Quentin. If I recall correctly he thought he must have had "too honest a face" to play Quentin.  I have to say though I am glad David got the role.  I can not imagine anyone else playing him in the original.

PS...AC I am not for sure if you are a newbie or just have only posted a handful of times.  If you are new...WELCOME. I noticed our numbers have increased around here. It's nice to see!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:07 PM »
They needed a new actor to play Quentin, it's more mysterious that way. 
 [Evil_Pumpkins]