Author Topic: The Netflix $6 Increase  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The Netflix $6 Increase
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
How often can one business shoot themselves in the foot and still remain on top?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Netflix does away with Qwikster in wake of unhappy customers

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
They still offer great services which is why I think most will forgive the transgressions.  I can forgive it and still plan on using their services.

How often can one business shoot themselves in the foot and still remain on top?  [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
There have been several articles, including one in last week's Entertainment Weekly, that said Netflix lost a ton of customers, far more than they were expecting, after they announced they'd be introducing the Qwikster Web site, which is no doubt one of the reasons why that idea is now dead. That and the fact that their stock took a nearly 50% tumble. So it will certainly be interesting to see if a lot of those people come back now or if they've already switched to the other competing rental/streaming services.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
How often can one business shoot themselves in the foot and still remain on top?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Looks like they need a lot of help with market research, and find out what customers want before they do something.  What they've been doing is to make a (not very well thought out) change, then find out if it's what the customers want.  Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 04:44:05 AM »
I too have had to send DS discs back more than any other DVDs I have every had.  I counted that I had to send back ten from the ones I rented!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 04:34:41 AM »
Hmmm - what is this about?

DrApokalypse Justin
NOOOOOOO, why are you taking away #DarkShadows, #netflix?? I still have over 100 episodes to watch! :(
9 hours ago

Or is he mistaken?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 12:39:22 PM »
I read yesterday that Netflix admitted to losing 800,000 subscribers.  Months ago read an article that Netflix knew they would lose some subscribers but in the name of good business that was the risk they were willing to take.   [hall_shocked]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
 Yes, I heard that, and on the radio this morning they were saying the share prices have just plummeted.  I am still a customer, for now, but I don't feel the allegiance that I used to for them.  I used to really love their service and their support the few times I had a lost or damaged disc.  But they've really made some boneheaded mistakes, and have done terrible PR, in my opinion.  I wouldn't have minded a modest price increase, but not to offer a discount for bundling both DVD and streaming services was a mistake.  Trying to separate them into 2 different services with different names was even worse.  Then, the curt e-mail I got from them saying they would keep everything as Netflix seemed almost rude- they really should be giving assurances and telling us customers that we are valued, instead of sounding like children that are pouting after being punished.  Yesterday, I noticed that the option to "play" several of the selections on my queue had returned, and it got me very nervous, because I had dropped instant viewing, and I was afraid they had changed my subscription (and started charging me the higher price, of course).  They had not- I am still getting DVDs only, but I feel that the "play" option is dishonest because I'm sure that if I click that, they will start charging me extra.  The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If they are now getting rid of DS, too, that would be awful- just at a time when new fans who are just discovering the show would be interested in watching.  I hope it's not true. 

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
I'm not promoting Blockbuster but apparently they still exist even after a bankruptcy of sorts.  Has anyone checked to see if the Dark Shadows vids are there?  When I went into their store many years ago, they carried about 20 volumes of DS on VHS. Fortunately, I have every single video produced about DS. Between myself and other family members, were covered.  I used to belong to Blockbuster but when I would order a series, they were constantly sending them to me out of order and finally out of frustration, I dropped them.  I've had good luck ordering from my local library. The only thing is, there is usally a wait to get what I want.  [hall_smiley]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Just this week, I've seen ads for Dish (which I have) and Blockbuster. I think you can get videos on demand (via your TV or you computer). They mention the increase from Nexflix and I believe, for $10/month, this Dish/Blockbuster combo is 'supposed' to be comparable.
Has anyone else heard of it, or does anyone currently have it?

Thanks

Patti
 [bonny_hand]
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 04:04:29 PM »
Well, I just went to Dish to check it out.
I couldn't understand if the $10/month is
a) only for new customers
b) locks you into a 24-month contract
c) you would need a modem/high speed (but, we have 2 convertible boxes; does that mean I'd need 2 modems? And my modem is in my bedroom, where I DON'T have one of the convertible boxes).

aaahhhh....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »
I have Dish and it's only going to cost us ten dollars extra a month for streaming and movies  in the mail. So I am pretty sure I am dropping netflix.  Streaming is just a dream to me.....aww.....

Plus Blockbuster does get new releases sooner!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/