Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0014  (Read 1756 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0014
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0014
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
Go, generic straight-laced dancing couple at the Blue Whale!!   Go man, go!!   Cut that rug!!   Way to show that those modern dances can still be good clean fun, young people!!   ***   The West Wing is introduced, and the closing credits roll over it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
In their first conversation after introducing themselves, "Miss Winters" and "Mr. Haskell" discuss ghosts.

The Petofi box is still on the chest in the hallway, probably with no inkling of its future glory.

When preparing to go out with Joe, Carolyn decides her dress is too long and schoolgirlish and changes to a tighter, shorter, sleeveless dress. Maybe that's what rattled Joe so much that when they arrive at the BW, he's forgotten the umbrella he brought to Collinwood.

The West Wing! The West Wing!!!  [ghost_grin]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
The Petofi box is still on the chest in the hallway, probably with no inkling of its future glory.
Yeah, that's what it wants you to think.

I agree, Magnus, the dancing was sort of strange looking.  I thought the man looked better at it than the woman, and I was thinking they should have looked around for a female that had some talent, but then I remembered that this was Dark Shadows, not a Broadway musical.

I liked Joe today, and that doesn't happen often.  Mostly I think he's too much of a Boy Scout, but after seeing Vicky for a while, I like watching Joe.  Unlike Vicky, he knows that having a beer or a cup of coffee with Burke Devlin can lead to trouble.

David's a good liar.  I'm sure he lied about ghosts breaking that teacup of Elizabeth's.

Time sure goes slowly in Collinsport.  Are they near a black hole or something?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
I've decided that they're getting through one DS day in about one real-time week.   That would mean time's passing at the same rate as a prime-time program...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
No, I don't think they're going that fast, Magnus.  I think this is still just the day after Vicky arrived at Collinwood, and here we are nearly three weeks into the series.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
episode 14?

believe it or not kids it's still day TWO.

the book "dark shadows:the first year" geniusly broke down victoria's days at collinwood from her arrival until barnabas' release. it worked out to FIFTY TWO days. less than 8 weeks in collinsport time.

episodes 1-4 are vicki's first night. her first full, action packed day lasted a staggering SIXTEEN episodes(5-20). so you've got 6 more until day three.

the first year pacing is one of it's odder qualities.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
her first full, action packed day lasted a staggering SIXTEEN episodes(5-20).

And poor Vicki had to spend it in the same drab and unflattering dress made even worse by an ugly bow.  Meanwhile, Carolyn dipped into her closet that day no less than 4 times:  in a feminine long-sleeved dress for breakfast and chores, a heavy sleeveless number for keeping it business-like in a man's hotel suite, a matronly dress for insuring her boyfriend's mind stays on the movie screen, and a sexy evening number for flirting with aforementioned man at the Blue Whale.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
There is something so enjoyable about the Blue Whale scenes. I get a kick out of that place every time.
I love Mitch Ryan as Burke. He just fits the role. He’s sitting in a dark corner, Carolyn spots him and he gleefully gives her the old finger wave. I can’t see Anthony George flirting in this manner.
Carolyn should have left Joe at home. They’re on a date and she invites Burke to join them. You can see that Joe is steamed. He should have goten up and walked out. Maybe he did. I was getting ready for work and missed some of it.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
Vickie finally spends some quality time with her charge but it all revolves around telling stories about herself and not really listening to what David is saying about himself Still no schoolwork nor does it appear than any of the many rooms is set aside as a classroom. 
The door to the West WIng opens and closes and it's not David who says its locked. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »
Art Wallace was writing those episodes in real time.  So for many of the early episodes, each half hour corresponds, sometimes exactly. to another half hour in the lives of the characters. 

I remember the first time I noticed what Michael wrote above about how many episodes they spend on Vicki's first full day at Collinwood.  It's all pretty jaw-dropping.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
It's like "24" then...?   It would be interesting to see this storyline edited together into individual days, rather than half-hour episodes.   We'd get one more realistic element:  we'd feel as exhausted as the characters, after their long and busy days.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
If it had been that slow, through the whole show, we wouldn't have seen some of the later charactors to much.  Some of the actors would have only a few shows a month. But in the future it speeds up. Many more things happened at night.

The Blue whale was the only place to go in town. How many blocks between the Blue Whale and the Hotel. The Blue Whale was close to the docks.

The petofi box is resting from it eventful past.

The black hole, is a direct link to ''hell". :)

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
The petofi box is resting from it eventful past.

Chuckle.