Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0009  (Read 1670 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0009
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0009
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Collinsport Hotel – WHO IS AT THE SWITCHBOARD???? The place is empty!

So many complex characters in this show. Right now the most baffling to me is Carolyn. What does she want out of life exactly? She loves Joe, but isn’t ready to settle down. I can see that. She’s too young. But she needs to quit leading him on.
She urges Vicky to find out from Mama what her story is, who hired her, etc. Then Carolyn turns around and throws Vicky under the bus, telling Mama that Vicky is making inquiries into why she was hired. Carolyn wants Vicky to stay, she wants her to leave. She’s enamored of Burke Devlin. I don’t know. I’m lost and we're only on episode 9!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:19:50 AM »
WHO IS AT THE SWITCHBOARD???? The place is empty!

LOL  Dan Curtis only had to pay 4 actors, while the presence of 5 additional characters was merely implied by placing them at the other end of a phone line (Burke, the switchboard operator, Malloy's secretary "Alice" and his niece) or by doorbell pranks and damage left behind (David).  Those one-way conversations got boring after a while.

I have 2 words to describe Carolyn:  Daddy issues.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »
Vicky seemed quite sensible today, aside from the fact that she wasn't doing anything about David.  She did deal with Carolyn, which is about as good as dealing with a child, but I don't think Elizabeth has ever said to her that being friendly with Carolyn is part of her job.

She loves Joe
Yes, Carolyn says she loves Joe, but I don't think her idea of love is the same as mine.

Bill Malloy’s got a niece.  Do we ever hear anything more about her again?  And how does Bill Malloy’s secretary Alice in Collinsport compare with what’s-her-name who’s Miss Hopewell's secretary at the Hammond Foundling Home in New York City?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Those one-way conversations got boring after a while.

They should have had a cardboard cutout of a switchboard operator or at the very least a voice on the other end saying, "One moment pl-lease".
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
No switchboard operator indeed! I suppose poor Mr. Wells can't be everywhere at once. Maybe we should cut him a little slack. But the lack of a switchboard operator gives us the opportunity for (at last!) something like a cliffhanger ending!

Carolyn boasts to Vicki that Burke wanted to "paddle" her last night--oh, those 1960s manners and morals!

It seems that in the whole wide world, Bill Malloy is the only living person besides Roger who calls Elizabeth by her first name. That is certainly a measure of her isolation. Clearly (to me anyway) Bill is in love with the boss.

Meanwhile, Vicki still hasn't done one lick of governessing.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
But the lack of a switchboard operator gives us the opportunity for (at last!) something like a cliffhanger ending!
Carolyn boasts to Vicki that Burke wanted to "paddle" her last night--oh, those 1960s manners and morals!
It seems that in the whole wide world, Bill Malloy is the only living person besides Roger who calls Elizabeth by her first name. That is certainly a measure of her isolation. Clearly (to me anyway) Bill is in love with the boss.

Carolyn's behavior makes my head spin. It also makes me think back to the days when I was that age and behaved like an idiot.
If Bill loves Liz, I'm not seeing it at this time. Loyal to her, yes.
Cliffhanger operator? I don't dig.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
If Bill loves Liz, I'm not seeing it at this time. Loyal to her, yes.
Cliffhanger operator? I don't dig.

Maybe it's just the romantic in me, already feeling sad for Elizabeth in her lonely-at-the-top situation.

And the cliffhanger ending? Because there's no switchboard operator, Carolyn gets to pick up the house phone and tell Burke herself that she wants to speak to him right away. I admit that compared with Barnabas's hand reaching out of the coffin to grab Willie's throat, it's not much of a cliffhanger, but we're only in Episode 9!  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »
The next ep. has a pretty big cliffhanger, though!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
I think  that Carolyn is torn between what she wants(which appears to be unknown to her at this time) and what others want of her.  She seems very immature except when she is out dancing at the Blue Whale and attracting all the men, but even how she goes about that shows a lack of sophistication.  Then Bill calls her princess, which I am sure was the nickname of the oldest girl on Father Knows Best. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
And Danny Bonaduce legally named his daughter "Princess".  And now, back to the topic.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »
Carolyn is trying to scare Vicki, about Widows hill.  Governesses going over the cliff.

[spoiler]Maybe that is where they got the idea of Vicki's end[/spoiler]

It looks like Bill is Carolyn's father figure.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate