Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--In Olden Days a Glimpse of Stocking 10/24-10/25  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--In Olden Days a Glimpse of Stocking 10/24-10/25
« on: November 06, 2002, 09:00:02 PM »
Fashion notes first . . .

I really love the clothes for this arc of the show, particularly Judith's.  Far too elaborate for a spinster, but perfect for the character.  The coral color works well for Bennett as do those fussy ribbons.

Yeah, I know Frid is supposed to be a vampire and all, but they really overdid it on the makeup because he looks downright scary and I don't mean in the traditional terrifying way.

Eek.  Not a fan of the light blue dress on Judith.  Color washes her out too much and what is with the sleeves?  And what in the name of God does she have on her head.

Oh, my sweet Lord, Frid looks more like an Edward Gorey character than ever.

I loved the hooker du jour's attire.  Pretty color and just the right side of tacky.

Onto the show . . .

Poor Sandor, but I'm not sure really how much different his existence was before Barnabas.  Magda clearly makes the decisions in that relationship.  

Quentin is mighty free with an inheritance he has no real expectation of.

"Your grandmother knows how easily I bruise."  Kind of a weird line.  Is that kind of thing likely to come up between an old lady and a fortuneteller in the ordinary course of conversation?  Or did we just go to a scary visual place?

Amazing, Barnabas isn't five minutes in a new time period and he claims to know what's going on, disputes the accounts of someone who is in way more of a position to know.  Control freak much?

Nice little nod to continuity there with Quentin giving Jamison the model ship that has been a set piece in the present.

I have to love that it's clearly the women who rule the roost in their various ways (Edith, Judith, Magda).  I loved it when Magda essentially told Barnabas "sure you convinced the hubby, but sweetie, I'm in charge here.  Edith controls the family and you're just some schmoe who walked in off the street.

"Spirtual advisor to Mrs. Collins"  Hmm, is that kind of like if you work at Kinkos and you call yourself a "duplicating consultant?"

I get an enormous kick out of Judith.  She's this little bit of a thing surrounded by bullying brothers jockeying for power and money and boy, does she keep ahead of the pack.  Bennett and Selby had some great chemistry together too.

Speaking of money, I wish they'd made the money more realistic.  I realize that 20th century audiences would find say, $50 a lame sum, but it's a lot more realistic than $300.  Not surprised Quentin assumed Beth had a little something on the side with Edward.  I'll admit it right now, by the way, on the topic of Quentin and his girlfriends, I'm solidly in the Beth camp.  She's the only character with whom I ever saw any kind of solid (if messed-up) relationship.  I like them together.  Nice chemistry.  What can I say?

Going to take this opportunity to say that as authentic as the Victorian furniture is, it's also pretty damn ugly.  Still nice to see some attempt at accuracy.

You have to love a family where no one is terribly surprised to walk into a room to find their brother holding a sword to someone's neck.  Makes you wonder just what kind of things went on before Barnabas showed up.  And you have to love a family where when a stranger shows up offering sometihng of actual cash value, they open up all the doors "Well, Grandmama is dying, but hey you're here with valuable jewelry so no problem, come on in."

Okay, that scene in the woods between Beth and Barnabas was plain weird.  She's freaked out at first, understandable--strange man wearing a lot of makeup jumps out of the bushes and calls you by your name--but then they start that whole quasi-flirting thing. Eww.

Ah, another hooker from Maine by way of Brooklyn.  Kind of fun portrayal though.

"You shouldn't have let me go to sleep without the blanket."
"Taste my consomme" (sp?)
"It's your fault Quentin got in here."

Sweet little old lady, my ass.  This is someone who really gets a charge out of being an invalid.  

Ick. Rachel is on the scene.  She is such a dimwit.  Pathologically curious and stupid to boot.  Very dangerous combination.  

And then Quentin basically calls her a whore and she's charmed???  

Greedy bunch this family.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--In Olden Days a Glimpse of Stocking 10/24-10/25
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 09:48:17 PM »
    What can I say, Luciaphil?  You are back at the top of your game.  This time period is a rich source for your wit.  Please, keep'em coming.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 09:51:04 PM »
That's great!  Have to repeat myself here.....so glad to have these again.

Loved your Frid comments.  I was saying the same thing the other day while watching.  He looks like a vampire that's been really sick (is that possible?).  Oh well......

c'ya!

Franimal

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 10:27:59 PM »
Scrumptious! Absolutely delicious! More, more, more...

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 10:46:07 PM »
Well, you've certainly lost nothing of your acerbic wit during your long sabbatical.... [lghy] ...for which we are all truly thankful!

Keep 'em comin'....!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 09:42:15 AM »
Ick. Rachel is on the scene.  She is such a dimwit.  Pathologically curious and stupid to boot.  Very dangerous combination.  

And then Quentin basically calls her a whore and she's charmed???  

LOL!  Well, it's pretty clear that most of what people are telling her just flies right over her head.  :D

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

After growing up with Trask always bellowing about sin, fire, and brimstone, the silky tone of Quentin's voice was probably enough to charm her into blissful ignorance of his actual statement.  :D

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2002, 12:56:11 PM »
You're so right about Barnabas' make-up!  What the heck is he suppose to be wearing?  It looks like they put white plaster paint all over his face.  I don't rememer him looking like this in his old vampire days?

It's great to see alot of strong women characters during this timeline.  What a difference from 1795!!  

I often wondered myself just how sick Edith really was? She wasn't sick enough to give orders out to everyone and even after Quentin tries to strangle her, she still bounces back to her usual controlling self.  I think she didn't get really sick until after she had layed eyes on Barnabas!  

Great report Luciaphil!
"Calamity Jane"