Author Topic: This Girl Should Be Grateful For Her Mom's Obvious Taste...  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
...not bitching on Twitter about what she's watching:

BewitchedKitty
My mom has been watching Dark Shadows for the past 3 days. She's on episode 55 out of 160. Please, someone shoot me now.
2 hours ago

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: This Girl Should Be Grateful For Her Mom's Obvious Taste...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:31:26 AM »
Can I be the one to tell her that there are a lot more than 160 episodes?  Please?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
And she'll probably be begging to borrow the vhs/dvds after the Depp movie comes out.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:58:38 AM »
how's this?

after listening to me yammering on about DS for years a coworker just checked out the first dozen or so barnabas episodes from neflix(she just got to the part where willie returns to collinwood after being among the missing for a few days)...

while she hasn't actually come out and told me she dislikes it she said it's so "slow paced" that she watches it to fall asleep to. [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
Perhaps if she has only been fed a steady diet of car chase scenes, shootings, etc., DS would come across as moving too slow.  [ghost_azn]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
A friend of mine who is a video game junkie told me years ago that he had tried to watch DS but couldn't get into it because it was "so slow."

He often comments that he finds movies I like to be "slow."

I've stopped recommending anything other than documentaries on topics of mutual interest to him.

G.

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:39 PM »
Many Fans complained that the show was too slow and the producers did speed it up.  The problem with that is if you missed more than a few episodes, it was very easy to lose track of the storyline.  Also, as Jonathan Frid once said, the show dealt with "very specific material."  Eventually, all of the major Horror Stories were exhausted and the show "ran out of gas."

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
I always introduce people to DS starting with the begining of 1795, it's a great jumping on point, as they don't need to know anything about the show by starting at that point, and the pace of the show picks up really well at that point, and it's one of the best stories from the series.
The first few months of Barnabas being released from the coffin before 1795 can be a little slow paced for new viewers.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
There's always that edited version of the introduction of Barnabas that they released first...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Can I be the one to tell her that there are a lot more than 160 episodes?  Please?!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Go ahead, make her day!

I always introduce people to DS starting with the begining of 1795, it's a great jumping on point, as they don't need to know anything about the show by starting at that point, and the pace of the show picks up really well at that point, and it's one of the best stories from the series.
The first few months of Barnabas being released from the coffin before 1795 can be a little slow paced for new viewers.

This is a good idea, because I myself think that the episodes after Barnabas is released are quite slow, and sometimes find them hard to watch. If I really want to I can, but there's only so much of Maggie screaming "Let Me Out!" that I can take. Mostly I watch this episodes for the interactions of the other characters and the smaller story lines that happen at the same time.

I'm sure that with the release of the new movie there will be a renewed interest in the "classic DS" as I'm sure it will be dubbed. I'm consistently surprised when I meet someone in everyday life who is a fan of the show. I've met a few people where it comes up in casual conversation.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
Perhaps if she has only been fed a steady diet of car chase scenes, shootings, etc., DS would come across as moving too slow.  [ghost_azn]

I swear, with today's audiences, any show or movie that doesn't have excessive violence or sex every 5 minutes is considered 'slow'. It's also why so many of them refuse to watch any movie from the 30's, 40's and 50's. I'm not saying all  modern viewers feel that way, but from what I've observed a good majority do seem to believe that without non-stop action in it a movie or show isn't considered worth the time to watch.

I have nothing against action or even a little nudity (not too much, mind you) in a film or show, but I honestly prefer to watch something that can make you think or feel.