Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1242  (Read 1296 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1242
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:00:22 AM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1242
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »
FAREWELL, GAZEBO SET!

Morgan is almost trembling with suppressed emotion when he talks to Catherine after she returns from the gazebo. When he sits down to write his "correspondence," in his excitement he forgets to dip the pen in the inkwell.

Presumably Daphne's funeral takes place during the day, but the set is dark enough for night. Does anyone know the biblical source of Catherine's very affecting reading? And couldn't DC have sprung for a few extras? Not even Josette is there.

We can now see that Barnabas's first act as a wealthy man is a sad one--he has bought himself a magnificent suit of mourning and gotten a good haircut. He also checks a very handsome gold watch when he's about to leave for his appointment. Was it a legacy from Barnabas or a new acquisition? If it was Barnabas's perhaps Josette had to pawn it while he was away, and finally he has been able to redeem it.

Absolutely heart-stopping final scenes!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »
I hate the fact that I'm coming up with no substantive comments for these final episodes.   Anyway, Kendrick really has been alerted to at least part of what Morgan plans to do.   He's thinking about murder, can hardly restrain himself from it, and the most obvious target is Bramwell.  But then, maybe Kendrick doesn't know about the Morgan-Bramwell situation.  Still, Kendrick should have enough to go on, to alert some member of the family, or follow Morgan, or something.   Instead, Kendrick just treats it as a confusing, cryptic conversation that he's just had with Morgan, that could mean anything for all he knows.   

The word "murder" tends to get my attention, I don't know about you.   Maybe it's that sense of "unreality" we can have when someone seems to say an unthinkable thing.   We might assume the person is joking, or exaggerating.   And murderers don't come out and volunteer the information that they're thinking of murdering, do they?   The very fact that he said this at all might have led him to think it wasn't for real.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:52:28 AM »
Kendrick really has been alerted to at least part of what Morgan plans to do.
I keep saying: Kendrick's not too bright.

Morgan's so happy now that he's gone over to the dark side!  I'm sure it will have a wonderful effect on his art.  I'm not sure we were ever told precisely what sort of an artist he was, but since he played the piano, I think maybe he was a musician.  Will he compose wonderful danses macabres?  Or an Ode to Jealousy?

Why didn't Kendrick go out for a nice walk on what could be the last day of his life?  I was thinking: "If I were Kendrick, I'd plant a tree today."  Then I thought about all the trees at Collinwood and decided I would plant something else.  A nice clematis, maybe, that would grow up and cling to the great house.

Not even Josette is there.
Yes, I spent too much time wondering if she was someplace where the camera couldn't see her, or if, like Flora, she was too upset by recent events to attend the funeral.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
Morgan's so happy now that he's gone over to the dark side!  I'm sure it will have a wonderful effect on his art.  I'm not sure we were ever told precisely what sort of an artist he was, but since he played the piano, I think maybe he was a musician.  Will he compose wonderful danses macabres?  Or an Ode to Jealousy?

I think when RT Daphne or whoever sees PT 1840 for the first time, Catherine says something to Morgan about painting or his studio or both. But since we never hear about his art again, I never gave it much thought. Maybe he will paint bizarre pictures of the Locked Room with a mad--or dead--Bramwell in it.

I was thinking: "If I were Kendrick, I'd plant a tree today."  Then I thought about all the trees at Collinwood and decided I would plant something else.  A nice clematis, maybe, that would grow up and cling to the great house.

Or some kind of climbing plant that would start to tear the Great House apart. Come to think of it, even Morgan went to a locksmith before he took Catherine's place in the Room.

And maybe Kendrick was so intent on what he was about to do that he didn't really have brain space to really realize what Morgan was planning. But then again, he's well intentioned but not very bright.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
I would either love or hate to see (hear?) the "art" Morgan has produced.   I doubt he's bright enough to find a way to express what must be some fairly scary thoughts/feelings.   He has a talent for hiding all that, not revealing it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor