Author Topic: Robservations 11/5/02 - #714/715 - Judith Rubs it In; Rachel & the Tower  (Read 1783 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
714 - (KLS) - Collinwood in the year 1897. The strange and terrifying events of that year are as yet unsolved by Barnabas Collins. He must unravel this mystery of the past in order to safe the life of a young boy in the present. He has not yet learned that the darkest and most mysterious secret of all lies beyond the door of the tower room.

Judith sits in the drawing room, ecstatic about Edith's will. When Carl bounces downstairs, Judith tells him to gather his brothers--she's got something to say. He's pissed at her ordering him around--you don't own this house, he complains. I do now, she boasts, and from this night on, I'm mistress of Collinwood, and to use one of your trite expressions, "Don't you ever forget it!" He accuses her of being the second joker in the house. Judith assures him, hiding the will behind her back, that it's no joke--I found the will and read it from beginning to end. Get your brothers, she orders--I'm anxious to read all of them their obituaries!
Carl looks like he's gonna cry and accuses her of lying--you haven't found the will and just want to get me worked up. She flips it out to show him she has it. Carl wants to read it, but she shoves it behind her back again as he dances, wailing, "I want to see it!" You must be satisfied with me reading it to you, says Judith--this is my house and you'd better get that fact through your simple mind. Carl frowns like a little boy, then runs off, screaming "EDWARD! COME DOWN HERE! JUDITH'S FOUND THE WILL!" Edward, grumpy, asks what he wants. Carl shouts up that Judith's found the will and already read it. Edward warns him this had better not be another practical joke. Judith triumphantly comes into his view and tells him it's not. It is the truth, she says, holding up the will--I found it in Edith's room--get Quentin, and if he asks, I'm ordering him. Get him yourself, snarls Edward. I would, dear brother, says Judith, but as Carl has said, I've already read the will, so I advise you to get Quentin without further delay. Harrumphing, Edward stalks off. Carl pouts and comes downstairs, shuffling into the drawing room and avoiding his sister's eyes. Rachel comes in and asks if Judith spoke to Beth about Nora's doll. We discussed it only 10 minutes ago, says Judith, irritated, I haven't had time to look for Beth yet. Rachel apologizes--I didn't think. Edward follows Quentin downstairs, insisting he not argue with him--we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough--either Judith is lying, or. . .Quentin and Edward stand on the top step. Q demands to know how he can say such things about "our dear sister"--just look at her, you can see for yourself an important change has taken place--she's standing taller and there's something grand and imperial about the way she looks at us--"Now I ask you, Edward, if she were lying about the will, would she be standing there looking for all the world like Catherine of Russia?" Judith frowns and tells him she isn't amused. That's your problem, says Quentin, you rarely have been, it's always been one of your weaknesses. She invites them into the drawing room. "Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly," quips Quentin. Edward gives Judith a dirty look as they all file into the drawing room. Edward wants to see the will, but Judith says no one will look at it until the proper time. You've already read it, points out Edward, and it's not fair, what you're doing. I want it all done legally, she says--Mr. Hanley and the children, who are mentioned frequently in the will, must be present. She works on her needlepoint. Quentin asks Judith, how did you happen to know where to look for the will? I found the will in a volume of family history, she says. Just by chance? suggests Quentin, then notes her lower lips is trembling, a sure sign she's lying. Edward makes an accusation--you knew where it was all the time. Judith denies it. Quentin asks if she read Carl the part concerning him, and she says she read nothing to anyone. Why then, does Carl look like the aftermath of one of his practical jokes? demands Quentin--"What is it, Carl? Tell Quentin!" Carl asks Quentin to be quiet, keep your mouth shut, just this one time! Quentin wonders about his brother's touchiness. Carl, totally pissed, leaves his chair. I don't want to wait for Evan, declares Edward--there's nothing illegal about reading the will now. There isn't, says Judith, enjoying herself immensely, but I want to save you from the shock a little longer. Edward's eyebrows rise. What do you mean? he asks. She stands, grinning, and suggests they all sit down while she does the honors. The guys do as she requests. Judith closes the double doors, still smiling. "Brace yourselves, brothers," she advises, and begins to read Edith's last will and testament.
". . .and being fully cognizant of the difficulties of settling our family's problems," reads Judith as Carl looks like he's been whomped over the head, Edward looks stone-faced and Quentin grins with anticipation, "have decided that the foregoing shall constitute my final instructions, and must be executed to the letter in order that the proper division of the Collins estate shall accrue to the future generations. Signed Edith Collins, dated the first day of March, 1897." Judith asks if any of them have anything to say. Edward stands and says whatever will be said by him will be said in court. This surprises Judith, who calls it melodramatic. I'm going to contest it, insists Edward--it's inconceivable to me that Edith would leave Carl and me nothing! Contest it to your heart's content, advises Judith, you'll get no where. I thought you above treachery, Edward spits. Judith asks, who am I betraying? "ME"! he shouts--you know I was in line to receive the bulk of the estate, but while I was away, you worked on her, didn't you? Judith denies it. Edward says, you poisoned Edith's mind, suggesting she leave everything to you. Not true, says Judith, I merely spent all my time caring for the old woman--I'm the only one who did it. And out of the goodness of your heart, prods Quentin? hand over his heart. Because I loved her, says Judith. I think I'm going to cry, Quentin tells Edward. Shut up, barks Edward. I DID love her, rants Judith, more than any of you can claim! You didn't love her, says Edward--you catered to her, what do you know about love anyway--"You're a narrow-minded, selfish old maid!" (Oooh, nasty diss, Edward!) Now that the power has shifted to me, warns Judith, you'd better be careful what you say to me. Carl and Quentin, one morose, the other amused, listen as Edward promises Judith, I'm going to fight you! You'll lose, she assures him, and go on losing--I'm mistress of the house, I inherited the Collins fortune and you are ALL dependent on me. She's trying to tell us something Quentin says teasingly to Edward. "Can't you ever be serious about anything?" shouts Edward. No, says Quentin, sipping a drink--I congratulate you, Judith--I haven't seen you get this worked up in a long time! If he's going to do nothing but make snide remarks, get out of the house at once, says Edward. You have a short memory, Quentin reminds his brother, and asks Judith to re-read the paragraph that says he has a permanent home at Collinwood--even if she did give him the back of her hand financially. That's true, says Judith, Quentin can live here as long as he wishes, even I can't put him out. That must sadden you, opines Quentin. She retorts, I inherited the money and the estate--I'll find a way of tolerating you. I'm sure you will, he says. Judith begins to head off to have a word with the staff, a move which pisses off Edward. Quentin drinks some more. Judith reminds Edward he isn't dictating anything to anyone anymore--I am, and there will be many changes you should be prepared to accept. Quentin suggests that when she's done with the staff, perhaps they can all go upstairs and watch her write a check (LOL!) She walks up to him. "Keep it up, Quentin," she says coldly, "and in the end you'll end up with less than nothing." She sails off. Edward closes the doors behind her. Quentin asks, how far do you think anger will get you? Carl sits huddled in a corner. Edward vows that she isn't going to get away with it--I'll think of something! No you won't, says Quentin, the will is legal, Judith wouldn't have forged a new will (but Quentin was all set to). Edward says he wouldn't put anything past her. Judith has all the cards, says Quentin reasonably, and let's face it, for our own good, we have to find a way of accommodating her. NEVER, says Edward. "I just can't believe it!" wails Carl. Our brother's back with us, says Quentin. "Speak up, Carl, say something to cheer us all up." I never thought Grandmother hated me that much, says Carl despondently. She didn't hate us, says Quentin, she just didn't trust any of us. She trusted me implicitly, insists Edward. Under the circumstances, says Q, you'd have a hard time proving it in a courtroom. Carl begins to cry--what will we do?--we have nothing--we might as well all be paupers!--what will they do? A good question, says Quentin, we should put our heads together and decide on a course of action. Edward says, you can do that if you want, I'm going to bed. There's one way you can get out of it, Edward--if anything happens to Judith, Jamison is next in line for all the money. Edward asks, "Are you suggesting I kill my own sister?" Quentin smiles.
"I offer it as one possible solution," he says. One I'm not capable of resorting to, says Edward, although I believe you are. Not in this case, says Quentin, because I would have nothing to gain--no, now that I'm firmly in residence here, I'll avail myself of a life of pleasure--with the available ladies in the house! He drinks.

Rachel has gone up to the tower room and stands in the hallway. Beth leaves the room, locking it. Rachel hides so she won't be spotted, then slips out (is she wearing Barnabas' cross?) and puts her ear to the door, listening.

Beth returns to her room. When she turns on a light, she finds Quentin sitting by the window. She gasps and asks what he's doing here. Waiting for you, he says. Leave, she says--I'm very tired and want to go to bed. Where were you? he asks. Doing some work, she says--please go. Do you really wants me to leave? He asks. Yes, she replies.  I don't believe you, he says. Taking off her cap, she says, I don't know what to do to convince you. "You can't," he says, taking her by the shoulders, turning her around to face him. "Beth, I've been waiting for a long time, and so have you. It's time we stopped playing games with each other." He massages her shoulders. I don't know what you mean, she says. We've always been attracted to each other, he reminds her. I wish you'd speak for yourself, she says, and not for me. I wish you'd stop fighting it, he says. She denies fighting anything, not daring to look him in the eye, then wrenches herself from his grasp. Please leave me alone, she begs. I've been patient and understanding, says Q, but my patience is beginning to run out. Is that an ultimatum? She asks. Interpret it any way you want, he advises. "You really try very hard to be detestable, don't you?" she asks him. "I know you as well as I know myself," he says, "and I know what we both want." He's just about to kiss her when there's a knock at the door--Rachel, wanting to speak to Beth. "Allow me," says Quentin, racing to open the door. "No, Quentin," says Beth. Rachel comes in, embarrassed--she didn't realize Beth had company. Quentin teases Rachel--you think you interrupted some sort of tryst, but you're wrong--I was just inspecting the servant's quarters, a service I perform from time to time to make sure everyone is happy in their work. (what other services do you perform, Q?) "Good night, Mr. Collins," says Beth curtly. Quentin turns to Rachel and tells her how lovely she looks--if I must say so, you're one of the most attractive women ever to set foot in the house. This is clearly meant as a dig on Beth, who lifts her chin with dignity. Quentin asks Beth if she agrees. She responds, icily, "Who am I to disagree?" "Well said, my dear," says Quentin, who leaves. Rachel apologizes. It's all right, assures Beth--what do you want? Something that's been troubling me since the night I came, says Rachel, relating how she saw a light in the tower room--which puzzled me, since I was under the impression no one had been in that room for over 100 years. Yes, true, says Beth. But she saw you there tonight, says Rachel, quite by accident. Beth is perturbed.
Rachel gently asks if someone lives in that room. No, says Beth. Why did you go there? Asks Rachel. Beth reminds her, I told you earlier that your curiosity would get you into trouble. Yes, I know, says Rachel, but something is disturbing me about this house. Forget the tower room, advises Beth--two days ago, Mr. Collins decided to make a storage room out of it--when you saw me, I was finishing putting some linens into a trunk. Beth turns down her bed.  Rachel asks, weren't you afraid to go into the room--I was told it was haunted. Who told you that? asks Beth. Quentin, replies Rachel. Beth warns her never to listen to anything Quentin says--anything he says is said with only one thing in mind. What is that? asks Rachel. "He likes pretty faces, Rachel," says Beth. "I don't think I have to tell you anymore." Rachel looks nervous at this information.

Judith takes a drink in the drawing room, surveying all that is hers. Edward, in night clothes, comes downstairs. He asks if this is to be a feature of the new regime--being roused by a servant in the middle of the night. I've made a decision and wants to inform you of it, she says. What was so earth shattering it couldn't wait until morning? Asks Edward. I've decided to move into Grandmother's room, it's only fitting and proper, says Judith. And you woke me to tell me about it? demands Edward. I thought you'd want to know about it, she says. How very considerate, he says sarcastically. Do you approve? She asks, a twinkle in her eye. It's such a weighty matter, he says sarcastically, I'd like to go up and sleep on it--"May I?" By all means, she says--don't be too upset with me--this is all so new to me, I want to make the most of it." "You're doing splendidly, sister, just splendidly!" he says sourly, and goes back upstairs.

Rachel, who apparently has a problem following directions, returns to the tower room. She listens, ear to the door, and hears the sound of a cradle creaking--a cradle which we see contains two dolls!

NOTES: Judith is a hoot and a half, now that she's mistress of Collinwood, and she really trounced her brothers, didn't she? She's having so much fun, you've got to love her methods. Waking Edward just to tell him her decision to take over Grandmamama's room was so nasty! Quentin was a riot, but he must wonder what went wrong with his plan. He was acting as if he were going to get all the spoils. Poor Carl was like a little boy, so funny and sad, with that pouty lip. Quentin is a horn dog, no doubt about it, and you can tell his intentions toward Beth are dishonorable, strictly for fun--and he did his best to make Beth think he likes Rachel, too, who has no idea what Beth means by Quentin wanting one thing. Q just wants IN. I'm glad she's resisting, although it must be difficult, she doesn't want a broken heart. Superb performances by all today. And so ends another lengthy Robservation!

715 - (Grayson Hall) - Collinwood in the year 1897, where Barnabas Collins has been transported back in time to terror and intrigue. Now, in the tower of the great house, a newcomer, spurred on by her own fears, sets out to discover the secret behind the locked door.

Rachel reaches to open the door, and the cradle inside continues to rock and creak. "Who's in there?" demands Rachel. "Let me come in!" Receiving no answer, Rachel leaves.

Beth exits the kitchen area and runs into Edward coming downstairs. He curtly reminds her that when she takes food "upstairs," she is to use the back stairway. It's just easier this way, she points out. He doesn't care about ease, when Edith was alive, everyone assumed the food was for her, but now. . .he wants to know if Quentin asked her what happened when he left Collinwood. No, she responds. Are you lying? He demands. "Why would I?" she retorts. He doesn't even have the grace to be curious, how typical, says Edward, and sends Beth about her business. She heads for the back stairs, presumably.

A knock at the Old House door--Magda answers. It's Rachel, looking for Barnabas. He isn't here, says Magda. Rachel says she wants to wait for him--I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Magda invites her in. Rachel admires the portrait of Josette, smiling at it--Barnabas says I look like Josette, says Rachel--did this amulet he gave me belong to Josette, too? Oh, so he gave it to you, notes Magda. Yes, she says. Magda turns away. Rachel asks her why. Nothing, says Magda, who offers to read the young woman's palm. There are so many things that have happened in the past few days, I haven't any idea what to do or think, says Rachel offering to pay her. "I will let you," says Magda, holding out her hand. Rachel drops a coin in it. Magda leaves her hand outstretched. Rachel drops another coin in. (funny!) They sit at a table. Magda tells Rachel, you have lived a lonely, loveless life--until you came here, no man has truly touched your heart--now, two lines merge in your palm, one her heartline, the other. . .there is someone you have met that you could love, that you could have much happiness with--it won't work, warns Magda, because he has an enemy that has now become yours, a very dangerous one.
Who? asks Rachel. Magda looks into her palm, but can't see a name. Rachel wonders why someone would hate her--is it someone in the tower room?--I think someone is there, I keep seeing a light, and I feel drawn there. Magda tells her "she" wants Rachel there, but Magda doesn't know why--however, if you don't go to her, she will come to you. Magda sees a night of terror, strange screams, muffled sounds, Rachel listening, frightened, she doesn't know what to do. I found the room locked, reveals Rachel. There is a way, says Magda--an unmarked key on a chain with the others in the pantry, very old, very rusty, but it will open the tower room--you will meet your enemy, but if the choice is hers, the tragedy will be greater--that's all Magda can tell you. All you will? queries Rachel. You don't have to believe me, shrugs Magda--many don't. Rachel decides not to talk to Barnabas--I'll see him in the morning. She rises to leave. Magda tells her he won't return until sundown. Magda notes Rachel didn't thank her, but assures her--someday, you will be grateful. Angrily, Rachel leaves. Magda looks thoughtful.

Collinwood - Rachel returns. She looks to the tower, dark now.

Beth carries a lantern to the tower room, unlocks it and lets herself in.

Rachel looks out the widow at the windy night, and sees a light appear in the tower.
She stares at it.

Midnight - Rachel lies in her bed, the same room Maggie has at Collinwood.

Edward sleeps in his bed. There are footsteps in his room.
Someone takes a candle and sets his bed aflame! Edward turns over in his sleep.

Rachel, also asleep, hears Edward yelling. "You! You!" he accuses someone we can't see. Beth races into his room and shuts the door.

Rachel, awakened by Edward's shouts, gets into her wrapper and leaves her room.

Smoke billows from his bed when Beth comes in. "I warned you!" she cries. He points to the unseen person seated before him. "Look, quivering in that chair, like an animal!" he accuses. Beth swears, I locked the door--it wasn't my fault! Edward warns her, some night, we will be burned alive in our beds, as I almost was--something must be done, or what happened will happen over and over again--unless I can stop it--"And I will stop it!" he shouts at the person sitting in the chair. Rachel comes into the hallway. Beth warns Edward he's disturbing "her." He threatens to do more than disturb--I'm not sorry for her and never was, she deserved what happened to her! he rants. Beth begs--please. Edward orders, "Stay away from me!" Rachel knocks at Edward's door, asking what's going on. Edward, remarkable calm, gets on his robe and asks Rachel what's wrong--I heard you screaming, she says, smelled something burning. An accident, he assures her--everything is all right, you can return to her room. He's annoyed when she doesn't immediately go. She closes her door, gazing at him gravely. In her room, Rachel stands there, hand to her mouth.

"You see what you've done now?" Edward demands of Beth. And to the occupant of the chair, he snarls, "Yes, even you! I'll have to stay in this room with you even longer." We must stay here until the governess falls asleep--we can't take any chance. It's 12:30.

Rachel is still awake, staring at her own clock. She turns on her light and looks out at the tower, which is apparently visible from every room in the house--it's dark.

Edward hands Beth what appears to be a gag. "Do I have to, sir?" she asks. There can be no noise in the hall, he cautions. She takes it, looking sorrowful, and goes to do her task. Rachel is about to shut off her light when she hears a door slam, and footsteps. "Come, come!" says Edward. "Yes sir," whispers Beth hoarsely, "Yes sir, please, no trouble, yes, please!" The footsteps stop. Rachel hears another door slam, then silence. Rachel looks out her window and sees a light go on in the tower, illuminating all the windows. She closes her window and shivers. What's going on? (Looks like a flame behind a cardboard cutout.)

Morning - Beth serves coffee to Edward. She tells him everything is calm today. "I didn't ask you," he says--I don't want to hear anymore about it. After last night, I thought. . .begins Beth. Especially after last night, he says--I spoke with Judith this morning and assume you did, too. Rachel comes in from the front door and eavesdrops on Edward and Beth. Apparently, Judith favors your explanation, Beth, and since this is her house, I can do nothing about it--if it ever happens again, Judith promised me your job would cease. Edward dismisses her. Rachel hurries away so she won't be caught listening, then returns to tell Edward she was out for a morning stroll and is just about to start the children's studies. He seems annoyed--you must maintain discipline with the children--you must not make errors in their training.
She apologizes that she didn't sleep well the previous night--as you know. Edward remarks that her nerves have been on edge since her arrival--perhaps the atmosphere here doesn't agree with you, he suggests. She hurries upstairs, giving Edward one glance as she does so.

8 PM - Rachel stands in the dark drawing room, pondering, then sits by the fireplace. Beth enters. Rachel asks if her nerves are on edge, too, as Edward asked her earlier. Beth tells her Mr. Edward has a very unkind manner. Rachel asks if she knew what was going on in Edward's room the previous night--I heard you talking to him. Beth insists she was in her room all evening--you are mistaken. Beth turns on some lights. Rachel asks who is in the tower room--I know someone is there. You know more than I do, then, says Beth. I keep seeing a light there, insists Rachel. They say it's haunted, says Beth. I don ¢â‚¬Ëœt, believe that, says Rachel. Do you believe in ghosts? Queries Beth. I don't, says Rachel. Perhaps as long as you live here, you'll find out there are, says Beth. I had hoped we would be friends and could help each other, says Rachel. "But I don't need any help, Miss Drummond," replies Beth coldly, and turns away to leave. There's knock at the door; Beth finds Magda there, with a note for Rachel. Beth scurries off. Rachel reads the note and asks when Barnabas will be back from town. Magda doesn't know, and asks Rachel what she expects him to do--if Barnabas is with you when you see "her," it will be worse. Rachel wonders how Magda knows this. The gypsy explains, I know things you don't, my eyes see things yours can't--you're afraid. Rachel denies it. You're lying, says Magda. Rachel admits it. Don't be afraid, soothes Magda, the amulet will protect you. Do you really believe that? Rachel asks. Yes, says Magda, and so must you. I found the key you told me of, says Rachel. Magda urges her not to wait any longer! Edward comes in and asks Magda why she's here. I came to deliver a note from my master, says Magda. If you've done your task, go, orders Edward. Magda asks Rachel if she wants Barnabas to come and see her when he returns. Yes, says Rachel, I will have news for him then. Magda nods and leaves. Edward tells Rachel he owes her an apology for his curtness of the previous night, and thanks her for coming to his room--it shows a sense of responsibility. He wants to think in his absence, she would show the same consideration towards the children and any other members of the household. She thanks him and says she has things to do before Barnabas comes. He understands and asks her to promise to forget about last night. She tells him she once read the works of a philosopher who advised to not look to the past, but to the hour ahead of us. He says that's a good philosophy, and she runs upstairs as thunder booms. Beth exits the kitchen area. I don't think Miss Drummond will bother us anymore, Edward assures her. Beth smiles--that's good news.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Rachel unlocks the tower door and turns the knob, about to go in.

NOTES: I remember when I watched this the first time around, I couldn't imagine who was sitting in the chair being yelled at by Edward and shown sympathy by Beth. It was all rather wild, a fascinating mystery. Rachel isn't terribly bright, pursuing this, and one wonders what Magda seeks to gain by egging her on to go check the tower when she could be sending Rachel into a dangerous, possibly deadly, situation. Who is rocking those dolls? Keep tuned to find out.

Love, Robin

DVD

Re: Robservations 11/5/02 - #714/715 - Judith Rubs it In; Rachel & the Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:08:58 PM »
DVD episodes for October 26th and 27th.
The 9th and 10th episodes on Set#13/Disc#2 (4th and 5th episodes on MPI tape Volume #96)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:35:10 PM »
I love episode 714.  It was a favorite of Louis Edmonds', as well; he used to refer to it as their version of "The Little Foxes" (the Lillian Hellman play, filmed starring Bette Davis, although Tallulah Bankhead had been iconic in the Judith Collins role in it on the stage).

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 09:00:31 PM »
Is there anything more fab than having images in Robservations?! I think not. (Thanks, MB!)

1897 always brings back the DS thrill to me. It was during this storyline that I started watching DS full time (as a kid). The captures along with the wonderfull montages take me back to when I'd buy 16 Magazine and see entrancing images of the cast in costume. I couldn't wait for the next issue! I especially loved the glossy page with four color images. With only a black and white TV in the house, the color images were priceless! And I loved Barn in glam (drag) mode. All that glorious over-the-top makeup!

They were the best of times!

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 09:09:49 PM »
..... the wonderfull montages take me back to when I'd buy 16 Magazine and see entrancing images of the cast in costume.

Carl, in particular, made me think perhaps someone in the wardrobe department had been shopping on Carnaby Street... ;D

(Nice to see you around here!!)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas