Author Topic: ANGIE'S BEST ANGLE  (Read 1989 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
ANGIE'S BEST ANGLE
« on: November 03, 2002, 08:36:18 PM »
In the 1897 storyline, Lara Parker is more confident and comfortable with her role. She delivers a mature and analytical Angelique, who is quite competitive with the other villains for the honor of top evildoer while also giving  us a glimpse of a soft side.

I have made it no secret that Angelique is my favorite character. Therefore, I enjoy all her special moments in the story. One of my favorite scenes (besides the Vampire curse scene) is when she battles Laura, the Phoenix, to save the children.

My question to you is which side and scene from Angelique is to your preference and why?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: ANGIE'S BEST ANGLE
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 10:32:16 PM »
Good question Vam[ideab]
I'm like you I especially like the when she cursed
Barnabas.
Another scene that sticks out for me is when she
died in Barnabas' arms at the end of the 1840
storyline.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 11:27:37 PM »
Vam Wrote:

One of my favorite scenes (besides the Vampire curse scene) is when she battles Laura, the Phoenix, to save the children.

These are my two favorites too!!  I can't wait to see these two battling it out again! [argue]

There are many more scenes that I enjoy with Angelique on the show.  She just adds so much exitement to the show and unlike some of the other characters,  things are never dull or boring when she's on.  

Another one of my favorites was when she and Barnabas were married at the Old House.  I think that this was first time that I had really seen her truly happy, except of course, when Jeremiah's ghost stepped in to ruin it all.  She did make a beautiful bride though.

SPOILER......SPOILER.......SPOILER.......SPOILER..

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I also remember a scene in which Jamison is lying deathly ill from one of Petofi's evil spell and Quentin calls to Angelique for help and ask her to save the boy.   She does try to save him and I think this was one of her tender & caring moments that we see her display on the show.  
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 12:21:49 AM »
It's no secret that I love the Angelique-as-vampire story, when she goes after Barnabas with a vengeance!  Some of her bites are gentle and tender, while others are simply ravenous, bordering on vengeful!  

Her final bite, when she drains Barnabas of blood, intending to turn him into her vampire companion, is quite erotic, her lips stained with his blood, and her declaration that they will soon be together, never to be parted again.  The ecstasy on her face makes you wonder what else she did to Barnabas while sucking the last of his blood!

Best of all is when she kidnaps Barnabas and takes him to the hut by the sea.  She kneels behind him, dropping her hands delicately to his shoulders, and bites him while he protests, "No, no," all the while craning his neck toward her!  

And of course, I love the scene in which she comes to his room for the first time in 1795, all set to pick up their affair where they left off, wanting to make love to him.  He rejects her, setting off revenge that will last both of them through one century after another.

Love, Robin

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 12:34:30 AM »
I liked the 1790's.  She and Barnabas were married, and she looked so happy, so complete.  I've always liked her.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 12:58:56 AM »
As you all know, Angelique is my favorite character. Some of my favorite scenes with her in the show are: (contains some spoilers)

1. My absolute favorite is in 1840, when Angelique dies in Barnbas' arms. She has made a complete turn-around, and Barnabas realizes he truly loves her. I always cry like crazy.

2. When Angelique lifts the curse from Barnabas in 1840. It was great to see Angelique and Barnabas working together instead of fighting each other. It was when Angelique finally realized all her mistakes and that no matter what magic she does, Barnabas will only love her of his own free will.

3. I, too, love the 1897 scene where Angelique battles Laura. Great stuff!

4. I think it is coming up soon. It is the episode where Angelique confronts Barnabas for the first time in 1897 (in the tower room), asking once again for them to start over.

5. I love the scene during the Dream Curse when Angelique (as Cassandra) decides to end the Dream Curse because Barnabas said they would live again as man and wife. But, then Nicholas steps in and ruins it!!

6. One of Robin's favorites, the scene in the hut. It is one of the few times Angelique speaks out and tells her side of the Martinique story. I really feel sorry for her here.

There are so many more, but it would take all day to list them!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 07:03:05 AM »
For me, it's during the Leviathan storyline where she wants to live the life of a mortal woman, married to Sky Rumson, ignoring her powers and roll as a witch.  Shades of Samantha Stevens?  Try to picture her, after all she had done and all she was capable of doing, trying to bake a souffle or mastering a toaster-oven.

Gerard  (Also picturing Nicholas Blair popping in every once in awhile to wreck havoc, ala Uncle Arthur.)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 07:53:08 AM »
For me, it's during the Leviathan storyline where she wants to live the life of a mortal woman, married to Sky Rumson, ignoring her powers and roll as a witch.

This is my favorite "enter Angelique" moment in the series. I never saw it coming and I had to SOL. Yes, I am with you Gerard, the Leviathan Angelique is my fave, as well.

Dom

PS - Acclaim wise though, I think 1897 Angelique is the best Parker portrayal of the character. I just had to watch a few eps ahead today and I must say, L.P. is turning in a brilliant performance so far.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 08:43:45 PM »
Have to agree that 1897 showcases Lara Parker at the top of her game as Angelique.  Like others, I loved the showdown between Ange and Laura.  The first time I watched this storyline, I was amazed to find myself rooting for Angelique more often than not.  Love that she teams up with Julia later on in the story to help Barnabas.

In contrast to the 1795 storyline which introduces Angelique as a sometimes inept sorceress, the 1897 episodes DO portray Angelique as much more confident and in control of her powers. Even though she's still hung up on Barnabas, she isn't averse to a little side thing with Quentin (which I can't blame her for, he's quite the babe). Lara Parker really looked like she was having a good time in these eps, and IMHO the Victorian fashions really suited her better than anything else she wore on the show.  That late 1960's Ohrbach lime green coatdress was really awful!

I also really love the Dream Curse storyline, and all of the interpersonal (or is that interdemonic?) conflict between Cassangelique and Nicholas Blair.  As much as I enjoy the creepy moments on DS, I find some of their exchanges to be perversely humorous.  When he turned her hand into a skeleton as punishment, I almost laughed myself sick.

Angelique in any of her incarnations is my favorite character on the show, despite (or perhaps because) of the fact that she played the heavy and did some really bad things.  You're SO right Cassandra, whenever she's on, the show is never dull and boring!  

Does anyone know which of the storylines was Ms. Parker's personal favorite?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2002, 09:46:33 PM »
That late 1960's Ohrbach lime green coatdress was really awful!

I think every woman starting back in the mid-sixties had that exact same coat.  My mother did.  I recall one time when we were at the supermarket, and while my mom would shop, I would park myself by the comic books, passing time staying outta her hair.  Finally I saw her in the check-out line (with those old clackety-clack ka-ching registers) and ran up to her back and began playing with the belt on that coat, tugging and pulling at it.  And then I noticed my mom standing several lines away.  Looking up, to my horror, I saw a totally strange woman turning her head around, looking down at me.  I'm still in therapy because of it.  Catch me next week on Oprah.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2002, 10:01:13 PM »
Love that story, Gerard!  Come to think of it not only did my mother have outfits similar to Cassandra's 1968 attire, but she wore her hair alot like that too.  Maybe that's why I chose my current avatar. ;)

And my 98-year-old grandmother, who ceased to follow fashion trends when I was just a babe in arms, still has and wears outfits similar to the infamous lime green coatdress!  S'pose I need therapy too?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 12:07:46 AM »
My favorite incarnation of Angelique is Cassandra.  She was just such a delicious mixture of venom and glamour, yet the bitch had feelings, too.  There's something heartbreaking in those final scenes, when she comes to the Old House to kill Barnabas with a pistol, and says "You never had any idea what I was thinking or feeling!"  And then how beautifully Parker played the scenes when she was aged and literally fighting for her life. I always thought Cassandra was ultimately the most honest of Angelique's incarnations, in terms of confronting the reality of her relationship with Barnabas.

As for helpful Miss Ange in 1897, I always find it a hoot that she offers to help save David, but very much in her own interests.  And at one point when she's incanting, she offers the Devil Quentin's soul if he'll grant her prayer!  Yep, that's our Favorite Witch!

Lara Parker has a chapter entitled Out of Angelique's Shadow in the Dark Shadows Companion (this book may be out of print, for all I know) in which she discusses what she remembers  of the role.  I think she made it fairly clear there that her favorite scenes were from Angelique's original story in 1795.

Gothick