Author Topic: vcr tech help!  (Read 647 times)

scott

vcr tech help!
« on: February 11, 2002, 11:41:31 AM »
Originally posted by scott on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 11, 2002 at 05:41:31:

Like many of you, I tape DS daily, meaning periodic frustrations, cable issues, etc.--all part of the fun. Until recently my cable company had the standard boxes--so you would send the cable into the box, then into the vcr, and then into the tv. OK. So now they have done away with the boxes. I wired the cable directly into the vcr, then into the tv. So how do I tape? Just leave the vcr programmed as usual? Set the tv to the scifi channel and turn it off? Do I reprogram the vcr? Now it's set to tape from ch. 3, which is where you left it with the box. This probably sounds dumb--but before, I'd set the cable box to scifi, turn the tv off, and all would be fine.

Any advice? Sorry for the long-winded question. Hope it's clear.

thanks--
scott

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: vcr tech help!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2002, 12:44:28 PM »
Originally posted by Criseyde on February 11, 2002 at 06:44:28:

Scott,

Since the cable now goes directly to the vcr without any box, all you need to do is change the vcr timer to tape from whatever channel Sci-Fi is on your cable system instead of channel 3.

It doesn't matter what channel your television is set to. You can even watch something different while you tape.

Criseyde

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 01:24:56 PM »
Originally posted by scott on February 11, 2002 at 07:24:56:

Hi Criseyde--

Thanks so much! of course today I'm taping channel 3...missing some good eps. Oh well--I'll have it sorted out tomorrow. I appreciate the info!

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 07:18:39 PM »
Originally posted by Latisha on February 11, 2002 at 13:18:39:

Hi Scott, OH BOY, do I know what you mean about taping the show. My cable / vcr thing works a little different, I tell the vcr to record channel 3, but I have to leave the cable box set on the SciFi channel. I'm not able to watch something else while I record DS. (It's OK, who would want to watch something else when DS is on!!). Can't tell you how upset I get when I come home from work and realize I've forgotten to set the channel correctly...and shut off the vcr...or ran out of tape because it's on EP, instead of SLP or LP or Whatever!! Yikes! Good luck! Latisha

scott

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 02:12:56 PM »
Originally posted by scott on February 12, 2002 at 08:12:56:

Hi Latisha--

I taped the way you do for years. I had finally gotten it down to an art--then my cable company installed digital-ready cable, and removed the boxes. I'll find out today if Crisyede's excellent advice worked!