Author Topic: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else?
« on: February 11, 2002, 02:03:51 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 08:03:51:

Dear Fellow DS Fans,

It's too bad that the Dark Shadows writers did not keep the aged Barnabas around for a few more episodes. It would have been fun to see Mr. B. trying to avoid bumping into any of the folks at Collinwood in his present state. That scene where Barnabas avoids seeing Vicki in the Old House drawing room is a classic. (Love that wingbacked chair!)

The aged Mr. B. reminds me of a cross between Grandpa Walton (actor Will Geer) and "Uncle" Walter, better known as Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America." Maybe there's a dash of Grandpa Munster in there as well.

Bob the Bartender

PS Did you catch Roger and Liz waiting up until 2:30 AM for Carolyn to come home from her "date"? Roger was nattily attired in his robe with a cotton dress shirt and snazzy "rep" striped tie (at 2:30 AM yet!).

I read that Ronald Reagan would never take off his suit jacket while working in the Oval Office in the White House. However, I think that the always stylish Roger Collins has surpassed even our 40th Presiident in the savoir faire department.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2002, 03:06:04 PM »
Posted by Joeytrom on February 11, 2002 at 09:06:04:
In Reply to: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 08:03:51:

Dan Curtis would have had to pay the make-up artist, Dick Smith, for additional episodes if Barnabas continued for a while in his old age makeup.

DC did a rarity here by hiring one of the best men in make up for DS.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 05:44:26 PM »
Posted by CastleBee on February 11, 2002 at 11:44:26:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Joeytrom on February 11, 2002 at 09:06:04:

After all these years it still looks very good too! Also, I think if Jonathan Frid lives another 20-25 years (here's to that!) HE may be the one this actually looks the most like! ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline waylonsmithers

• How narcissistic of me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »
Posted by Waylon Smithers on February 11, 2002 at 13:45:00:
In Reply to: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 08:03:51:

On a related topic, when I saw "Mighty Aphrodite," I was struck by Woody Allen's resemblance to the aged Barnabas in HODS...

Regards,

John

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 07:48:55 PM »
Posted by Nancy on February 11, 2002 at 13:48:55:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Waylon Smithers on February 11, 2002 at 13:45:00:

He does. Dustin Hoffman as his aging character in "Little Big Man" also looks like the aged Barnabas. The reason for that is that Dick Smith also did the markeup. Smith must have kept the "mold" or something and kept on using it!

Nancy

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 08:24:52 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 11, 2002 at 14:24:52:

The aged Mr. B. reminds me of...David Crosby
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 08:37:54 PM »
Posted by Julia99 on February 11, 2002 at 14:37:54:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Waylon Smithers on February 11, 2002 at 13:45:00:

Ohhhh so cruel, so cruel.. but true!
Julia99

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 09:00:20 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 15:00:20:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by RingoCollins on February 11, 2002 at 14:24:52:

Hey Ringo,

The aged Barnabas would have to consume a gallon of the "Weight On" liquid food supplement (plus about 20 calzones)to look like the corpulent Mr. Crosby.

Bob the Bartender, who wished the talented, but immature, Mr. Crosby would curtail his "efforts" as a "sperm donor."

One time when the great Mel Brooks was a guest (along with CS&N) on the Tonight Show, he came out and said to the Texan Steven Stills, "You talk normal," to the British Graham Nash, he said,"You talk funny," and to David Crosby, he asked, "Was it a difficult delivery for your mother?" Ouch!!!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2002, 10:02:39 PM »
Posted by Vlad on February 11, 2002 at 16:02:39:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by CastleBee on February 11, 2002 at 11:44:26:

DC did a rarity here by hiring one of the best men in make up for DS.

I agree; I thought Barnabas's old-age makeup was very impressive -- much better than Angelique's old-age makeup much later, and other makeup effects that seemed to use a lot of greasepaint at other times in the series. Even his hair had an aged, whispy texture.

I've had the interesting and sometimes confusing experience of watching the current episodes in the morning and my tapes of the 1991 series in the evening. The aging of Barnabas coincided on the same day for me! I couldn't remember if it was the 1991 Julia who goaded Barnabas on, or the 1967 Julia, etc., when I would watch the "other" version some hours later.

The HODS and 1991 old-age makeups were even more drastic, more ghastly [eek] and probably more realistic if someone were to age to 200 years old, but the original series did a very decent job, as did Frid with his performance.

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2002, 10:21:26 AM »
Posted by CastleBee on February 12, 2002 at 04:21:26:
In Reply to: Re: Does the Aged Barnabas Remind You of Someone Else? posted by Nancy on February 11, 2002 at 13:48:55:

He does. Dustin Hoffman as his aging character in "Little Big Man" also looks like the aged Barnabas.

I could not put my finger on it but that is exactly it! I think I even kept hearing Hoffman's voice doing the(ancient version) of Jack Crabb (sp?) in the back of my mind.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad