Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717109 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
when i went to see 21 jump street last wknd there was a guy handing out passes in front of the theatre for the ds screening.

Ah. OK - that explains it. Thanks so much for the info, joe.  [snow_smiley]

48 days 8 hours 36 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I just talked to my daughter. She went to the midnight showing of Hunger Games. I asked her if she liked the movie. She said she did then she says "I'm sorry Daddy". I asked why and she says they showed the preview for DS and it was so cheezy. She said that no one she knows wants to go see it and that she knows how important it is to me.

I said that I that have the original on DVD and what they can do whatever they want. She says "you don't understand. When the preview started you could feel excitement in the room, when it ended it was just quite. No sound from anyone. It was like WTF"

I'm hoping to go see the Hunger Games tomorrow. I hope the reaction is better.
May you die before you want too.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
it says on the pass 18-49 yrs. i am 51. the guy says u just have to be CLOSE to the age but i could still get turned away because of age and also because the theatre could fill up. of course i will be there early and hope for the best. no explanation was given as for why the change. maybe they are doing some last minute editing.

Joe, the people walking the line will ask you for a photo ID to verify that you are who you say you are, but I don't think it necessarily has to be a driver's license or something with your age on it.  The girl in line next to me had forgotten her license, but the lady she talked to asked if she had some other kind of photo I.D. and all was OK.  I would advise you to get in line as early as you possibly can to improve your chances of getting a seat. Good luck!

And speaking of scoring the film, I keep forgetting to comment that it's interesting that Grahame-Smith mentions in one of those interviews from yesterday that in addition to Danny Elfman's own score, the film will contain popular music from the period. And I'm assuming he's not just referring to Alice Cooper's performance. So it will be interesting to see if any of the music from the trailers (beyond The Carpenters' Top of the World because that would certainly seem to be a given) actually ends up being in the film as well...

The T-Rex song is.  I honestly don't remember if Barry White was or not, but there was at least one other song from 1973 rather than 1972.

Personally, I enjoyed the use of contemporary music to enhance the setting of the film. The use of music in the opening was especially powerful, IMO.

ProfStokes

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally - the article they tweeted about three weeks ago. Thanks so much for the link, Phil.  [snow_smiley]

And yes, those are great new photos! (Don't miss the other new one in the slideshow!)

48 days 7 hours 34 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Great new image (click on it to enlarge):

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/03/23/dark-shadows-on-set-exclusive-johnny-depp-tim-burton-back-in-black/#/2

Ha, Phil, I just found this and was about to come here to post the link.  There is what looks like a great long article, too, but I only had a chance to briefly skim it as I'm about to be called back to the lab where I work. Make sure to see the slideshow too, starting from pic #0, to see another pic of Johnny and Tim, as well as other pix we've seen before from DS and other pix of other Johnny/Tim collaborations:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/03/23/dark-shadows-on-set-exclusive-johnny-depp-tim-burton-back-in-black/#/0

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
There isn't much new (or anything that will make skeptics happy, at any rate) in the new article. But that pic is huge, and the first good look I've gotten of the Barnabas portrait.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I really hate to say this but maybe Rob Zombie Could have done a better job at this. If this does doesn't make sense it's because it's been a long day and I've been driking. I riped off the nail from my big toe and I'm on my 4th drink. And they have all been very strong.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I really hate to say this but maybe Rob Zombie Could have done a better job at this. If this does doesn't make sense it's because it's been a long day and I've been driking. I riped off the nail from my big toe and I'm on my 4th drink. And they have all been very strong.

YES!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet (I haven't read every post in this thread), but from the trailer it appears that Angelique Bouchard went from being a servant in 1772 to a wealthy, powerful corporate mogul in 1972 and intends to use not just her supernatural powers, but her material powers to bring down the Collins family (scenes of what looks like her office as well as her sitting at the head of a table of some board of directors' room, etc.).  It seems to me that she is not just Angelique, but an amalgamation of Angelique and Burke Devlin.  I wonder if this was deliberate on the part of Depp/Burton, or just a coincidence?

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's a very astute observation, Gerard.  [thumb]

One point the article brings up that I'd never even thought about is that it makes it sound as if perhaps humor had to be injected into the script just for Warner Brothers to even agree to make the film. If so, that would be an interesting piece in the development of the film.

48 days 6 hours 55 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Borgosi, that is very interesting regarding your daughter's report from that midnight showing of Hunger Games.  Thank you for sharing that.

I had already sort of figured that Angelique has been combined with the original Burke Devlin character in this version.  I still haven't a clue how Bill Malloy is supposed to fit in.

I'm sorry but I have played the trailer a number of times and I don't see any way it could be interpreted other than as a spoof.  And sometimes, I can really get into a good spoof.

It would really help though if I could stop seeing Eddie Munster whenever I look at BarnaDepp Scissors...

G.

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I didn't see anybody mention this line from the article:

[spoiler]
...Burton chatted with Bonham Carter next to a laboratory vat of vampire blood.
I would infer from this that there will be some aspect of Julia working on a cure for Barnabas in the film.[/spoiler]

I personally find that somewhat encouraging...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
To me Dank Shadows is a spoof. I just don't see this that way.  However, we all have different valid opinions and that is what fandom is about. In the dictionary it does say a spoof can be "to mock" and I don't see either Tim or Johnny mocking DS as mocking is : to attack or treat with ridicule or contempt in most cases.
Thank you so much for the article and the interview with Tim! Love the picture of Johnny in front of his portrait.

I do want to point out that it appears there have been more changes to the flashback then we have ever seen before. Granted we haven’t seen all of the flashback but of what we have seen it appears that way.  Angelique and an army apparently buries Barnabas not his father and he isn't buried in a Mausoleum.  It also looks as if more people than just Willie find him.
Spoilers just to be safe.

I was thinking about sequels as well. If the movie does well, it would seem that Barnabas would be pretty adjusted to 1972 after a while and there would be no point in rehashing his encounters with all the new fangled contraptions he encounters and I think that could bring forth darker sequels ahead. 
I probably annoy a lot of you guys! I am just an eternal optimist.  I was one of those who loved the pilot of 2004 so I am pretty much open to anything DS
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
thanks for the tip profstokes. i do have a work id with my name and pic on it and no birthdate. i will try that.