Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717131 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another tweet from Debby VanPoucke:

SoundDiva
I am so excited about working on "Dark Shadows"
1 hour ago

And also, this article: Farewell to Nerds: The Big Studios & Comic Con…

There's nothing specifically in it about DS, but this part here -

"I can appreciate why they might adjust their strategy to reflect the fact there’s no correlation between appealing to the hardcore fans and reaching a wider audience."

- is something that has often been stressed when it comes to WB, Burton et al. considering us - and the fact the WB won't be having anything about DS at Comic Con 2011 and is in fact skipping the convention altogether just seems to highlight it all the more.

321 days 6 hours 47 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting article, MB.  I wonder whether massive events such as Comic Con will be able to continue without the studio financial support and perquisites.

I hadn't heard that Universal had stopped production on the Guillermo del Toro Mountains of Madness movie. That's too bad.  I was really looking forward to that one, although I don't think it would have been as good as the independently produced Whisperer in Darkness, which, from the Youtube trailers, looks as if it will be THE definitive Lovecraft film adaptation--full stop.

I also wonder whether it isn't a matter of the majors no longer catering to geeks as to the TPTB deciding they can do it all more effectively for less money online. 

It will be interesting to see how much creative control Burton is able to maintain over the new Dark Shadows product.  The whole 3 D thing seems to have imploded.  I do wonder what other changes may be dictated by new trends between now and the release date...

G.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I think it is interesting that they are shooting the 1970s Collinwood "in ruins" first.

Assuming scenes in the 1700s will feature a newly-built Collinwood in pristine condition, wouldn't it have been easier to build the "new" Collinwood and shoot that part of the film first, and then "age" the set for the 1970s?  Just wondering.

Also, I am intrigued by the choices the writer made to simplify the story.  Of course, we are probably unaware of most of them.  But, I'm thinking specifically of his choice to eliminate the Old House.  The Old house was SO important to both TV series, and to the first feature film.  Although I think it may be a wise decision, and will probably work story-wise -- I could never have come-up with that idea myself.  Of course, it still begs the question -- where is Barnabas going to "live", if the family lives at Collinwood.

Having Julia already living with the family is also a good choice, I believe.  Since Elizabeth was always neurotic, it isn't a stretch to believe she would hire a live-in psychatrist -- especially if Julia is a down-and-out alcoholic who comes-cheap.

I'm less thrilled about having Angelique already living in Collinsport 1972.   Although I'm sure it will work well with the story, I would have preferred they introduce Angelique in a sequal, not the initial film.

And, I will certainly miss Professor Stokes.  Being a HUGE fan of the Professor, I'm sad that he seems to have been jetisoned.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I agree 100% with that. Geeks are the first to get excited about a movie, but if they find one thing has been changed from the source material they are up in arms and boycott the movie. I say this a as huge film and comic geek myself, just not to the extreme of boycotting a movie because it doesn’t have a giant squid.

This, from the comments section of the article, also speaks to the Shadows debate.  Clearly a good deal has changed from the original source material.  Then again, considering that the original source material was also "film" and in a lengthy format, it does make sense to make changes.  I'm just really wondering how much of the original Shadows fanbase will "boycott" the film should it be revealed that there are changes.  While I would go see the movie no matter what (Unless Liz is smoking pot.  Then I would not attend this movie. ), if there were MAJOR and unnecessary character and basic plot changes, I would probably start bashing it.  There has to be something familiar about a work in order for it to be considered part of the original - and the characters and their stories are a big part of it.  So far, I have not heard anything I object to...  Burton is using the '70s to capture the "weird" vibe of the film.  It seems like a very good plot device.  Let us hope that this film, in its final incarnation, is true to the original and offers its own unique take.  I think that is all any of us, even the fan purists, can ask for. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another one who was at Pinewood today!

DickieRay
Worked @pinewoodstudios today. Visited new Alien movie sets. And Dark Shadows. Sworn to secrecy but...Incredible.
1 hour ago

321 days 4 hours 12 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't actually know whether there will or won't be use of the Old House in the new movie's story.  All we know is that it was not mentioned in the press release synopsis.  I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that there were some MAJOR ellipses in that synopsis... knowing what I do of the oeuvre and m. o. of Mr. Tim Burton.

Also, it's not clear that the "ruined" Collinwood will stimulate Barnabas to make a trip in time to change family history and restore the manor to its former grandeur.  We really know very little how things are set to play out in this redaction once Barnabas is released from his coffin.

Forgive me if I'm being too flippant, but I actually had a really strong image in my mind when the green friend was mentioned of a weary, heartbroken Liz alone in her boudoir, wearing that gorgeous deep blue dressing-gown, taking some long slow tokes on a doob at the end of an elegant holder.

In the psychiatric profession today, they refer to this sort of thing as "self-medicating," I believe.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
LOL, Gothick!  I actually had the same idea (albeit less elaborate), which is why I mentioned that.  But, it's really not something Elizabeth would do no matter how you spin it.  Naomi, possibly, but Liz...  No.  She's way too prideful to let anything take away her pain.  I would see a self-medicating or an addicted Liz as a huge change to the character - whether it was alcohol or other drugs.  It's not something I would put past Burton, but it would totally change the idea of the character in the original and previous film.  Liz kind of enjoyed her suffering.   She did it all alone, and that is what made her so strong and rightfully opinionated about her brother.  A weakened Elizabeth is not star material.  Next to Depp, Pfeiffer is the name everyone is throwing around, so I'd imagine she will receive second billing, so I hope they realize how important it is to keep those two characters in tact for the purpose of the franchise.  Then again, a reinvented Liz couldn't be the worse thing to happen to the film... a reinvented Barnabas would be.  No recreational pot for Barnabas, Burton, k?   [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I have to agree that a 'self-medicating' Liz wouldn't be right and would set the wrong tone for the raising of a young daughter.  We wouldn't feel Liz's pain if she wasn't feeling it herself due to being high...IMO.  I don't see Barnabas doing drugs on a regular basis as it would make him vulnerable and lacking control.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
next to depp pfeiffer is certainly the biggest "star" attached to the project. but i don't see her getting second billing i see her getting FINAL billing as in...

and
Michelle Pfeiffer
as
ELIZABETH COLLINS STODDARD

one of those type deals.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's the sort of billing I'm also anticipating for Michelle Pfeiffer, mscbryk.

Also, I wouldn't say that Pfeiffer's is the name that comes up most often next to Depp's in association with DS - it would be Eva Green's. In fact, next to Depp, she would seem to be getting the lion's share of publicity associated with DS. But then she's also had her film Cracks and the TV series Camelot to promote, so it's not surprising that she's been in front of the public so much lately. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if she gets second billing in the film. Based on what we know so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the billing turns out to be something like:

Johnny Depp Eva Green Helena Bonham Carter

Dark Shadows

Jackie Earle Haley Jonny Lee Miller Chloe Moretz Gulliver McGrath Thomas McDonell

with
Michelle Pfeiffer
as
Elizabeth Collins Stoddard

and
Bella Heathcote
as
Victoria Winters

320 days 13 hours 3 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A distraught, slightly drunken Roger confronts Elizabeth in the drawing room:

"But why turn to WEED, Liz?  Why???"

An arched eyebrow, a disdainful moue of the heavily lacquered lips, a pouting grimace as she turns, gives him a freezing look, and says:  "Because I *choose* to do so."

Actually, Cousin B, I think your comments about Liz and her pain are very astute and on the mark.  Which is why, when the pain went beyond even her power to bear, Liz seriously contemplated taking a certain step during that harrowing month of June 1967.... 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
LOVE your billing mysterious!

depp, green and carter as the "above the title" names, followed by the rest of the cast with pfeiffer getting special mention and, in a nod to the original series, ingenue victoria winters getting the final "and...as..." billing.

love it!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

"But why turn to WEED, Liz?  Why???"

An arched eyebrow, a disdainful moue of the heavily lacquered lips, a pouting grimace as she turns, gives him a freezing look, and says:  "Because I *choose* to do so."

[stfl]  [thumb]

Actually, Cousin B, I think your comments about Liz and her pain are very astute and on the mark.  Which is why, when the pain went beyond even her power to bear, Liz seriously contemplated taking a certain step during that harrowing month of June 1967....

I agree. That was an extremely perceptive summation of the way Liz felt.  [thumbleft]

Actually, one of the things I'm most curious about when it comes to the Depp/DS film is not what the Barnabas/Angelique relationship will be like (mostly because I think we can pretty much figure that out - especially given the comments that have been made about it) or how Victoria will place in the scheme of things (mostly because we already know that she resembles Barnabas' lost love, so that brings with it certain expectations) but how the secrets the present day Collinses all apparently have will factor into the plot. I just hope that each secret will be given its due. Though I wonder how that will be when the plot will unfold over only about two hours and the main focus is sure to be on Barnabas, his relationship with Angelique, and presumably his attempt to recapture his lost love.

320 days 12 hours 19 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Doesn't it look like it was such a lovely day at Pinewood today (courtesy of Steve_Townley): http://twitpic.com/5gk9o8

Actually, it looks about like it was here the other day when I said we were in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. Too bad DS probably isn't shooting today because if they were, and if the weather is as bad at Bourne Woods, they could shoot scenes at the Collinwood exterior and they wouldn't even need to alter the sky all that much in post.  [lghy]

Also here's Chloe Moretz: Saturn Awards 2011
(And, Cousin_Barnabas, you'll be happy to see that Michelle Pfeiffer gets mentioned but not Eva Green, so Pfeiffer is pulling closer to Green. [wink2])

320 days 11 hours 15 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"But why turn to WEED, Liz?  Why???"
An arched eyebrow, a disdainful moue of the heavily lacquered lips, a pouting grimace as she turns, gives him a freezing look, and says:  "Because I *choose* to do so."

[hello] [hello] [hello]

One of the greatest things I have ever read.  Thank you!

Actually, Cousin B, I think your comments about Liz and her pain are very astute and on the mark...  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
G.

Quote from: Mysterious Benefactor
I agree. That was an extremely perceptive summation of the way Liz felt.  [thumbleft]

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, my inner-Liz fan is coming out.  I seriously feel that she was one of the best characters ever written for television (in her first year).  

...How the secrets the present day Collinses all apparently have will factor into the plot. I just hope that each secret will be given its due.

I certainly hope so.  It's hard to imagine being able to do all of that in one two-hour film, but if it did happen, it would be the first time ever that we actually got to see the Collins family and Barnabas on an equal playing field, which I believe they deserve to be.  Striking a balance between the first year and the latter years of the show is essential to a good telling.

(And, Cousin_Barnabas, you'll be happy to see that Michelle Pfeiffer gets mentioned but not Eva Green, so Pfeiffer is pulling closer to Green. [wink2])

I AM happy about that.  But, I was actually basing my earlier statement off of what all of the "insiders" were saying, those who visited the studio.  They all seem to mentioned Depp and Pfeiffer more than any other combination.  (Perhaps this is just me notcing Pfeiffer's name more.   [ghost_cheesy])  But, from what I have seen and recall (or want to recall), most mentioned Pfeiffer as opposed to Carter or Green.  So, I was using that as my gauge rather than what the entertainment writers are printing.  

As for the billing, yes, I see a similar thing happening with Liz.  It's been tradition since HoDS.  But, my dream billing would go like this:

JOHNNY DEPP

DARK SHADOWS

STARRING
MICHELLE PFEIFFER

Helena Bonham Carter   Eva Green

Jackie Earle Haley Jonny Lee Miller Chloe Moretz Gulliver McGrath Thomas McDonell

And
Bella Heathcote
as
Victoria Winters

THOUGH

I expect that we may see something like this:

JOHNNY DEPP

Eva Green  Helena Bonham Carter  Bella Heathcote

DARK SHADOWS

And
Michelle Pfeiffer
as
Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
(It's tradition by now.  [ghost_wink])