Author Topic: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS  (Read 4430 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2002, 10:57:11 PM »
Posted by VAM on February 08, 2002 at 16:57:11:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Vlad on February 07, 2002 at 18:04:50:

I don't think it was mentioned but perhaps I missed it.

[spoiler]The scene after Angelique lifts the curse in 1840. She is with Barnabas alone. Angelique is concerned because now he is human (I forget the exact exchange of words). She expresses her love for him but he cannot.
Angelique asks that he hold her. Barnabas obliges.[/spoiler]
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2002, 12:07:51 AM »
Posted by Gerard on February 08, 2002 at 18:07:51:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Bob the Bartender on February 08, 2002 at 15:03:16:

I still cry my eyes out at the end of Old Yeller, Bob. But then, at the end of "Titanic", when everyone was weeping, I thought the old bag was nuts for holding onto that jewel for so long and not cashing it in. Go figure.

Gerard

Offline dsannabelle

• Who refuses to grow up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2002, 06:31:33 AM »
Posted by Annabelle on February 09, 2002 at 00:31:33:
In Reply to: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Julia99 on February 07, 2002 at 10:48:37:

[spoiler]The scene were David watched his Mother burn
to death. How horrible! I thought that for
such a young individual, he was able to
put forth so much emotion into that scene.[/spoiler]

That one got to me.

Annabelle

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2002, 07:33:36 PM »
Posted by arashi on February 09, 2002 at 13:33:36:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Waylon Smithers on February 07, 2002 at 16:53:14:

[spoiler]1. The scene during Maggie's imprisonment in the Old House in which she is telling Barnabas about the little girl who comes to play with her. Barnabas looks at Maggie with great sadness, says, "Goodbye, Maggie..." and leaves her alone.[/spoiler]

I have to totally agree with you on that one. For all the times JFrid screwed up a line, there were millions of other times where just the look on his face was enough to make you pause.

~Arashi

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2002, 07:47:14 PM »
Posted by arashi on February 09, 2002 at 13:47:14:
In Reply to: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Julia99 on February 07, 2002 at 10:48:37:

Wow, everybody's got such great scenes! I agree with a lot, and here are some extra faves of mine. There's still a great deal of the show I haven't seen yet, but here's my votes:

[spoiler]The WHOLE September 10, 1897 episode. I can remember actually jumping up out of my chair and yelling at the TV. Oddly enough I was on the phone at the time so a friend of mine really got an earful.

-(1970) Daphne dying in Quentin's arms. I actually cried during this scene.

-(1897) The Jamison dreams about David's "final" birthday party sequence. Gave me chills the first time I saw it and is still probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

-(1970) Angelique's realization that Schyler Rumson is a leviathan.

-(1967) Barnabas recounting Josette's death for Vicki and Carolyn during the storm.

-(1967) (Another fave scene) At Barnabas' costume party, during the sceance, Josette comes through and at some point Barnabas jumps up and cries "It was the only way I could save her!" Or something to that effect.[/spoiler]

I'm sure there's other scenes, because I can see them in my head but I forget the circumstances in them and such....

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2002, 07:49:10 PM »
Posted by arashi on February 09, 2002 at 13:49:10:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by arashi on February 09, 2002 at 13:47:14:

ONE MORE

[spoiler]Burke's confrontation with Roger about his innocence in the manslaughter charges.[/spoiler]

I love Mitchell Ryan.

~Arashi

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2002, 09:21:13 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 09, 2002 at 15:21:13:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by arashi on February 09, 2002 at 13:47:14:

[spoiler]Daphne dying in Quentin's arms[/spoiler]

ooooooh that was a fave, too, and esp. since reading all that stuff about her today!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2002, 11:36:04 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 09, 2002 at 17:36:04:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Gerard on February 08, 2002 at 18:07:51:

Gerard,

I hate to sound like Ebeneezer Scrooge or Count Petofi, but I really cheered when the exceedingly annoying McCauley Culkin was "stretched out" in that coffin after being stung by all of those killer bees in that schmaltzy movie. Jeez, is that child actor annoying!!! I like Alexander Todd more than that loathesome child.

Bob the Bartender, a modern misanthrope when it comes to "too cute" kids.

Offline S.J.G.

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: BEST ONE OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2002, 04:54:37 AM »
Posted by SJG on February 09, 2002 at 22:54:37:

[spoiler]When Maggie was at the hospital ready to die in bed. Sam and Joe were briefly by her side (so was Dave Woodard). The death tension was so thick in that scene you could actually cut it with a knife! Later Sam and Joe sat alone in the lobby and Sam began talking about how he had sat in that very chair the night Maggie was born and now he was waiting to find out whether or not she was gonna and he started crying right as he came to the word "die".[/spoiler]

Positively the most poignant moments in the horror soap. Pity Scott, Ford, and Crothers didn't last till the ends of the series.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
DS' Most Touching Moments
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2002, 04:41:11 PM »
Originally posted by ROBINV on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 10, 2002 at 10:41:11:

I really enjoyed reading everyone else's, and once I started pondering mine, I found they just started pouring out like a stuck geyer!

Here, in no particular order, and with gigantic SPOILERS, are mine:

[spoiler]
  • 1967 - Sarah finally shows herself to her brother, Barnabas, only to tell him that he won't see her again until he learns to be good. When she disappears right before his eyes, he cries.
  • 1995 - Julia, possessed by Gerard, nearly gets Barnabas staked by the Collinsport sheriff, but when she tearfully tells him to return to 1970 without her, he tells her, "Never without you." It's the closest he comes to telling her what she wants to hear.
  • 1840 - Angelique removes Barnabas' vampire curse in the nick of time, preventing Gerard from finding and destroying him. Terrified that his now-human status places him in mortal danger, she asks him to hold her, and he does so.
  • 1968 - While I know Adam annoyed many people, his first appearance as a giant-sized baby, trying incoherently to communicate with "Mama" Julia and "Papa" Barnabas, was very touching. All he wanted was love, the big SOB, and all he received was pain. Some of his scenes with Carolyn were wondrous to watch, as she taught him to communicate, but his love for her went unrequited, and that made me sad for him, too.
  • 1970 - Remembering Philip and Megan Todd before the Leviathans got their claws into them--a nice, normal couple in love overtaken by evil forces, both dead before their time. Some of their bantering scenes together were charming.
  • 1968 - Maggie and Joe's farewell at the Blue Whale - Aside from the Todds, the pair with the highest hope for happiness, IMHO. Once vampire Angelique and warlock Nicholas blew into their lives, totlly destroying the love Maggie and Joe had for each other, they were doomed. Both ended up at Windcliff. Their sad, poignant goodbye at the Blue Whale is one of DS' saddest scenes for me.
  • 1795 - Sarah dies on Barnabas' arms, after telling him she loves him. Naomi commits suicide, unable to deal with what her son has become, and she tells him she loves him, too. And saddest of all, Joshua, knowing he must destroy his vampire son, finds himself unable to do it and instead imprisons him for centuries. Barnabas and Joshua's goodbye in the study is so painful to watch, I can't help closing my eyes. Joshua loved his son in his own way, and that love is palpable between them in that final scene.
  • 1841PT - Catherine tells Bramwell she's going to have his child. He tenderly tells her he's always wished for them to have a baby together. This moment is marred because each is married to someone else, and it's so tangled, they despair about how it will all end.
  • 1967 - A man in love, Willie goes to the Evans cottage to warn Maggie that Barnabas is going to kill her. The trigger-happy Collinsport Police Department fills him with bullets and asks questions after. Julia and Barnabas assure that Willie appears to be guilty and he's sent to Windcliff. A sad life and an undeserving fate for a guy who changed a lot for the better.
  • 1966 - Liz and Carolyn share a moment together after her aborted wedding to Jason McGuire. Having learned the shocking truth about her father's murder, Carolyn takes off for an all night walk. When she returns, she has decided to stand by her mother, but there's no longer any need, since Paul is still alive. They talk in Liz' bedroom, and Carolyn and her mother reaffirm their love for each other.
  • 1970 - After Paul Stoddard's violent death, Carolyn tells some harsh home truths to her family about their hypocrisy in the foyer.
  • 1897 - Quentin learns that he's fathered twins, but that his baby son has already died. Realizing that "another Quentin Collins" is gone, he laments his life. He decides to bring his daughter, Lenore, back to Collinwood, but when he thinks about bringing her up there, and what a terrible place it is, he choosed instead to make an unselfish sacrifice and allow her to remain with her foster mother.
  • 1897 - Jenny was a very poignant and sad character in just about all her scenes. Another victim of the Collins family, all she wanted was love, too--but all she got was madness.
  • 1897 - Beth's demise - She loved Quentin, and in his own way, he loved her, but she ended up accidentally falling over Widows' Hill. Another Collins victim, and one of the very saddest cases.
  • 1968 - Barnabas, cured of vampirism by Dr. Lang, goes out onto the terrace of his hospital room and sees the sun for the first time--and gazes at his reflection in a mirror at long last. Four-hanky scenes, and amongst my favorites.
  • 1966 - David watches his phoenix mother burn to death before his eyes, sobbing, "Mother, Mother!" over and over. Kid may have been psychotic and murderous, but he loved his mommy, and all he really wanted was love, too.
  • 1795 - Josette begs Barnabas to be whatever it is he is, not knowing what she's asking for. With reluctance, hating himself, he bites her for the first time. The pain on his face is horrible.
  • 1970 - Carolyn marries Jeb Hawkes in a simple wedding, wishing wistfully that it could have been a fancier ceremony, something more Collins-like. She realizes that marrying the guy you love is what's most important.
  • 1971 - last episode - Barnabas, Julia and Eliot, time travelers, return to 1971 to find they've saved the world again. Roger's making a speech and all's right with the world--and they fade into oblivion; we never see them again.
  • 1970PT - Julia shows up in time to prevent Hoffman from staking Barnabas. While some hoped he'd plant a big kiss on her for saving him, their muted joy at seeing each other is nevertheless good to see.
  • 1967 - Under Barnabas' vampire control, Willie wonders to Jason what's going to happen to him. Not knowing what's happened to his friend, Jason can only stare at him, perplexed, and tell Willie that's entirely up to him. Willie knows that's not at all true, and the pain on his face hurts my heart.
[/spoiler]

That's a few, and I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Love, Robin

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2002, 08:14:54 PM »
Posted by jennifer on February 10, 2002 at 14:14:54:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by Bob the Bartender on February 09, 2002 at 17:36:04:

Bob the Bartender, a modern misanthrope when it comes to "too cute" kids.

How about those Barney kids Bob!!!!!!

jennifer(lucky my son doesn't like Barney anymore!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2002, 08:17:59 PM »
Posted by jennifer on February 10, 2002 at 14:17:59:
In Reply to: Re: Nominees-Most Poignant Moments on DS posted by jennifer on February 10, 2002 at 14:14:54:

You guys are being good but these spoiler alerts are
getting longer and longer!!

ADMIN NOTE (added during transfer): The spoiler feature wasn't available on eboards4all, so people had to add their own warnings, which were often quite elaborate.
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: DS' Most Touching Moments
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2002, 02:29:10 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 08:29:10:
In Reply to: DS' Most Touching Moments posted by ROBINV on February 10, 2002 at 10:41:11:

Dear RobinV,

You've, quite eloquently, said it all.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: DS' Most Touching Moments
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2002, 04:00:09 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 11, 2002 at 10:00:09:
In Reply to: Re: DS' Most Touching Moments posted by Bob the Bartender on February 11, 2002 at 08:29:10:

ditto,

A Test: [gring]

where are these comin' from?
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 08:15:14 PM »
[spoiler]1.When Julia tells Barnabas to go back to 1970 without her he says "never without you!"

2. After Barnabas has staked Tom in his coffin, and he goes to Julia and sees she has recovered. Julia thanks him for what he did and Barnabas tells her she saved his life so many times she didn't need to thank him....next to the "never without you" scene this is in my opinion the best tender moment of friendship between Barnabas and Julia.

3. The ghost of Jenny appears to heal her and Quentin's very ill daughter....then she holds the baby and sings, makes me want to cry every time. But the way she sang and looked you could tell she had finally found the peace and contentment she never could when she was alive.

4.The farewell scene between Barnabas and Joshua....I know Joshua said he was incapable of love, but that anguished look he gave to Barnabas knowing it would be the last time he would ever see him alive proved just
how much he really did love his son. I always believed it wasn't because Joshua wasn't capable of loving anyone, he just wasn't capable of showing it that well or too often...[/spoiler]